Home
Posted By: Dobetown Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Ross has a good story in the latest Double Gun Journal. Includes a fine old rifle and a great Elk. Damn I wish he wrote more.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Yes, sir. I have been a fan of his work for a long time.
Posted By: domit Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
writes good, a real turd to talk to if he just met you. might just be me, dontknow?
Posted By: CullingTime Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
I to wish he wrote more, as it is great to read the work of a guy who has btdt and can build a rifle, as opposed to the crowd of "writers" that just yack about and take pictures of the latest pos to show up in the mail.
Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
The last story of his was the one where he said his single
shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every
time. Since I doubt if he could improve on that I have
never read him again.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by hawkins
� he said his single shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every time. �

All by itself?
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� he said his single shot Ruger would hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards every time. �

All by itself?

LOL, sprayed Folgers.........
Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Ken, Your point is well taken. He didn't say he couild do it.
I may have rushed to judgment. I felt it coming in over the
top of my boots and jumped to a conclusion.
Take care!
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Ross is one of my favorite writers too.

One time I found an old Alex Henry rifle for sale at a local shop at what I thought was a really good price. I didn't have the means at the time, and I know Ross is fond of the old classics, so I called him to tell him about the Henry. Got his number from an Elk Song advertisement. We talked for some time, maybe a half-hour or so. Even though he didn't know me from Adam, he was cordial to me and appreciated that I thought of him regarding the Henry rifle. He even welcomed me for a visit. Now, one phone call does not a friend make, but the door remains open.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
never read him again.

I take it that you don't think the #1 one could do that. Why?
Posted By: doubletap Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
never read him again.

He posted pictures of groups he shot at a mile in one of his articles. The guy can shoot. I wouldn't bet against him.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
I think many here would be amazed what some good shooters, who actually practice and shoot all the time, can do at some quite long distances.

If he was speaking of a #10 can (which is pretty good sized), I would not doubt that he could hit it nearly every time. I mean, if Steelie can hit a Jack Daniels at 700 in less than 7 shots with an unknown rifle and load, then what couldn't Ross do?????? wink
Posted By: bluesman Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Heck, anybody can hit a tomato juice can at 800 yards all day. I have a couple of 80 gallon cans of juice that we use to make our sphagetti sauce and hot sausage sandwiches for the annual gun raffle/family day/flea market weekend at the gun club. I'll bet that Mr. Seyfried could hit a smaller can than that with a handgun at 800 yards.

Terry
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
On a dead calm day, at the end of a day of shooting, at the KD range at Anniston AL, I hit a coke can (on the end of a stick) six times out of eight, at 600yd.
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by domit
writes good, a real turd to talk to if he just met you. might just be me, dontknow?

That is not my experience with him. Called him up one day out of the blue to discuss .416's with him and he was very cordial.
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
I enjoy his "Respected Rifle" video on Remington.tv

http://www.remington700.tv/#
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11

At our first meeting, amid a coterie of his adoring worshipers, just after my Custom Cartridges book was published, he immediately, loudly, and vociferously raked me over the coals for allegedly accrediting a certain cartridge to someone (he said) who'd "introduced" it later than the real originator had.

He was wrong.

I'd used dimensions from the original originator, who'd originated it long before the fellow whom he thought was the real originator.

And he hadn't even seen my book yet. Apparently, somebody had told him that I'd called a certain cartridge the ".xxx Whosis," and he thought that I should've called it the ".xxx Somebody Else's." (I'm not sure that my ramshackle memory is all that accurate so many years later now, but I think that it was an old OKH cartridge that my friend Charlie O'Neil had originated long before Peter Capstick put his name on it.)

If I'd never made an honest mistake � and a public fool of myself � I might've gotten mad.

On later occasions, he's been as gracious as anybody could be.

And there's no doubt that
� he knows whereof he writes
� he's a better-than-average rifleman
� he's a better-than-average writer

All in all, he rates pretty high with me.
One turd does not a sewer make.
Posted By: wrongtime Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
I have followed Mr. Seyfried's advice from many of his articles and found the results to be as he claimed. A good indicator he knows what he is talking about.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11

+1
met the guy about 25 or so years ago at a gun shop in western Colorado. VERY arrogant. I was introduced to him by the owner (a good friend) and he barely glanced my direction or offered a hand shake. Haven't read much of his stuff since.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11

Everyone has bad days.

I have met Ross several times in person. In each case he was hospitable and polite and generous with his time and knowledge.
Posted By: Hondo64d Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/13/11
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I mean, if Steelie can hit a Jack Daniels at 700 in less than 7 shots with an unknown rifle and load, then what couldn't Ross do?????? wink

It was a crown royal box.. C'mon! Everyone knows that! grin grin

John
Posted By: djs Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
We all have bad days. I've seen gun writers at shows get mobbed by "fans" and it must be very tiring.
Posted By: gaperry59 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion. Back in those days they didn't have big-name sponsors, he paid his own expenses and bought his own guns (which he had customized on his own) and loaded nearly all of his own ammunition, at the tune of 50,000 to 100,000 rounds a year. And, he can expertly shoot anything that has a trigger. Contrast that with some of the young IPSC grand masters they've had on Top Shot who are amazing speed shooters with an unlimited race gun but have to be instructed on how to load and fire a single-action revolver.
Posted By: fremont Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Originally Posted by gaperry59
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion.

Yeah, I wonder if he still wears shorts with those tall, striped tube socks and one of those cool foam hats with the mesh back. All the fast IPSC guys did back in the day.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
I've enjoyed all he wrote on the old blackpowder English cartridges; his writings were pretty handy when I was working with a .500-450 #1 blackpowder express. I did write him about the rifle - care of Rifle - they said they would forward questions to Ross but I never did hear from him.

The downside was that twenty years ago the guns - British single shots were fairly cheap, because no one knew knew anything about them. After he wrote many articles it seemed suddenly the price of the guns shot up, because people could then learn how to run them. I figure he must have had a couple hundred of them stashed away, and made a tidy profit grin

saying that tongue in cheek, of course grin
Posted By: WheelchairBandit Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I did write him about the rifle - care of Rifle - they said they would forward questions to Ross but I never did hear from him.

Many years ago, I read in one of his articles where he complained about the price of brass for one of his Martini rifles (I can't recall the cartridge at the moment, but it was an odd ball). Anyhow, I stumbled across a source for the exact same brass he wrote about, but at about 1/4 of the price he complained about in the article. I wrote him a letter with the info on how he could get the brass, and sent it directly to him. Never heard back.

I still enjoy his articles a great deal when I run across them. He was the guy who got me interested in fast twist 22 calibers.

Brian.
Posted By: gmoats Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by gaperry59
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion.

Yeah, I wonder if he still wears shorts with those tall, striped tube socks and one of those cool foam hats with the mesh back. All the fast IPSC guys did back in the day.

I thought of starting a new thread called "Seyfried's Sartorial Splendor" but thought it might fit better in response here.

I got to know Ross in 1979. During the period between when he won the US Nationals in '78 and thru '80 he wore a "lucky shirt." If you see any of the old American Handgunner ads of him having lept a barricade, he's wearing this same shirt:
[Linked Image]
This pic was taken at the '80 Nationals. His wife at the time (Judy????) would wash that shirt in their motel room every night (either that or he had a bunch of identical ones). He wore jeans and projected an "awe-shucks-good-ole-boy" persona, which wasn't ingenuine.

With success his image started to change (or his lucky shirt wore out). By 1981 (when he won the world shoot), he had progressed to more conventional shirting garb. Here he's at the '81 Bianchi Cup wearing an IPSC tee shirt:
[Linked Image]

By '82 he appears to have picked up some sponsorship. Here he is at the '82 Nationals which marked the beginning of the billboard-uniform phase of competitive shooting that still plagues our tournaments:
[Linked Image]
Sorry to take up so much space---the comment about his clothing and the general interest in Ross made me think that some of you would like to see some pics from his early years of notoriety.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
gmoats-
Thanks for the photos. When I read fremont's post about the clothes, I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period. I think Seyfried always wore blue jeans. Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

Walters did well outside of IPSC too: 2009 Obituary

Photo below shows Walters & wife on the left, Buzz Aldrin & wife on the right.
[Linked Image]

--Bob
edit oopsie; misspelled Aldrin
Posted By: gmoats Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Originally Posted by BullShooter
...I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period...Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

The only pic that I could find of Raul is during a concealed carry match--can't see his socks, but you're correct, he's wearing them:
[Linked Image]
I'll check my archives when I get home and see if I don't have more of Raul---I used to shoot in the MPPL with him and know that I have more. If you kept Handgunners from that era and scour them well, you'll find some incredible writers!! smile

Raul was a tightly wrapped athlete--I don't think that he ever fully recovered from losing his son in a motorcycle accident. He and Dick Thomas were largely responsible for the Columbia conference that started IPSC and were directly responsible for the Chapman Academy being in Columbia (they were initial co-owners with Ray).
Posted By: 340boy Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Count me as a fan of Seyfried's writing.

I know some folks(gun writers included) that like to tear Ross down- says more about them than it does Ross, IMO.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
I've never met him but have always appreciated his writings.

Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
I think the aticle he wrote on the .340 Weatherby was very refreshing and showed up the industry for being quite stale at that time.

John
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Having counted Ross as a good friend and mentor for over 20 yrs I would say Ken H hit the nail right on the head.

Just like all of us Ross might have a bad day and I can definitely see how he could be prickly on a first meeting.

I have never met anyone with his breadth of knowledge on all things concerning firearms and having personally seen many of those famous late 80s early 90s Guns and Ammo articles come together I would say he was very careful to write the truth as he saw it and didn�t do some of the standard embellishment that can go on in gun articles.

Had a chance to chat with him at SCI this year and he was still the same ol Ross.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
What I liked about Ross' writing was even if his subject matter wasn't something that usually interested me I still enjoyed the article. I can't say that for other writers. I can't really bring myself to read about bird hunting, whitetails on the farm or most blackpowder stuff. But if Ross was writing about goose hunting or some ancient blackpowder piece it was good.

Too bad his writing is in short supply now.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11

John:

Since you know him, you might know this: Double Gun Journal changed its name to Double Gun & Single Shot Journal at some point, and IIRC, it was about the time that Seyfried got heavily involved with the magazine.

Was that his doing?

Whoever it was, I heartily approve. I particularly enjoy Seyfried's work with those English single shot bp rifles he's so fond of.

- Tom
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Most likely, it was the Double Gun Journal's owner Dan Cote's doing. He did it to broaden the readership/advertising base of the magazine.

I do not blame him for doing so. It was a smart move and probably saved it. I helped Dan promote the magazine to advertisers in the first few years it was published. He sacrificed a great deal of his own time and treasure to keep it alive during the 1990s.

It has always been a fine magazine and it makes sense that it attracted a writer with the talent and knowledge base of Mr Seyfried.
Posted By: 1234567 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Is he originally from Africa? I seem to remember that he had ties to Africa, maybe as a PH.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Nope ,he is was raised on a Farm/Ranch in central Colorado just northeast of Denver.

He did a bit of PH work in Africa in the 1980s, I believe.
Posted By: djs Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
Originally Posted by BullShooter
gmoats-
Thanks for the photos. When I read fremont's post about the clothes, I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period. I think Seyfried always wore blue jeans. Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

Walters did well outside of IPSC too: 2009 Obituary

Photo below shows Walters & wife on the left, Buzz Aldren & wife on the right.
[Linked Image]

--Bob

If Mrs. Walters needed any help putting a napkin over her dress to keep soup dribbles from falling on her, I'm sure many of us would volunteer (just to be helpful, of course).
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/14/11
I've long enjoyed Ross's writings and the one time I had a telephone conversation with him, he was an agreeable and articulate man. He also followed up that conversation with a well written letter. I hold him in high regard.
Posted By: EWY Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by wrongtime
I have followed Mr. Seyfried's advice from many of his articles and found the results to be as he claimed. A good indicator he knows what he is talking about.

+1

Ernie
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
He has cost me quite a bit of money too. I was reading him in highschool and he was very impressionable, ended up with a 1911 pretty darn close to his pachmyar combat special. Spoke with him in Reno at a show about his ranch for an elk hunt. Never did hunt with him but I ended up building a .35 whelen that has been my lucky rifle since then. I believe he was also the first to put heavy loads for the .45lc into press, still recall him saying that when the guy (linebaugh?) showed up at his house he stood behind something because he was sure the guns were going to come apart.

Posted By: antlers Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
On a dead calm day, at the end of a day of shooting, at the KD range at Anniston AL, I hit a coke can (on the end of a stick) six times out of eight, at 600yd.

"I can eat 50 eggs..."
Posted By: Dave93 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
Seyfried always comes off to me as being extremely reliable in the articles that he writes. I don't believe that I have ever read one that didn't keep me interested. Whether it was talking about wearing out and having rebuilt his model 29 Smith twice or nailing a big whitetail in friendly competition with his son or having to hunt a last minute goose for their traditional Thanksgiving goose dinner. If he writes an article, no doubt I'll like it. I wish I could handle one of his Pachmayr .45s. I sure like the looks of those 1911s that he used in competition so well.
Posted By: johnw Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
there are but few who's writing craftsmanship today can compare to seyfried's...

barsness is one, but to continue to write about a subject as limited as shooting and hunting, and to continue to generate interest amongst a broad segment of society simply doesn't come easily...

i think that this is what fuels the writing about weapons such as drillings, and some of the more obscure brit and euro chamberings and designs...

interesting that i, with my decidedly anti brit/euro leanings, can find such writing fascinating...
Posted By: writing_frog Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11

For a guy like me living in Europe, Ross is the best american outdoor writer because of his very wide experience (for real) with all types of firearms and because of is amazing knowledge about european firearms, not only US or british. About firearms and hunting it's for sure a really open minded man. Fantastic writer too. When you begin to read a story he write you're obliged to go to the end. Would be very happy to meet him and talk or invite him to hunt in my country.
Learn a lot from his experience. One article he wrote about long range shooting with 310Cadet Martini cadet rifle or 32-20(32WCF) makes me buy one martini cadet in Montreal. For sure he was right, those small pills can hit far away.
Posted By: drover Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/16/11
Seyfried is the only writer out there that can write an article about a completely obscure caliber or firearm and make me think that I need one by the end of article. I am always amazed at his knowledge and writing skills, I don't know how he does it but he makes words come alive, a skill that very few writers have. If he was a regular, not necessarily every month, contributor to any magazine I would subscribe to it in a heartbeat just for the chance that the next issue may have an article by him.

The fact that a few folks who have met did not like him does not bother me, IMO he is still one of the most skilled writers of the day. I have met a couple of gun-writers that many folks drool over and I am totally unimpressed with them. I mentioned to a hunting magazine/gun magazine editor friend about how I was disappointed in them and his reply was "they have reached the exalted status". Meaning that they have heard so many times about how they are so correct in their opinions that they now believe it themselves.

But one of my biggest likes about Seyfried is that he has not sold his soul,like so many other writers - I cannot recall reading a Seyfried article where he writes something like "I was using a new 300 wzzm from Rugremchester with a Leubushburr scope with their new long range reticle, and it hit with absolute authority on a 50 lb doe at 75 yds, she only ran 40 yards and the performance was overwhelming".

drover

Posted By: aboltfan Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
I have been reading his work for a long time. Like others I have enjoyed the knowledge and experience imparted in his writings. For me what sets him apart from other writers is there is an elegance to his writing that makes it more than just a nut and bolts info piece. Hope in the future that he'll get back to being a regular contributor to a magazine. If it's one I'm not subscribing to I'll sign up just to read his articles.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by antlers

"I can eat 50 eggs..."

Paul Newman never went to SOTIC, I did. At SOTIC, you have to be able to hit moving targets (12in wide) at 600yd to graduate.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
I once killed a groundhog with a claw hammer..

Just saying.
Posted By: Gene L Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
I'm over hero worship for gunwriters. Some are very good, some are not so very good, but even the good ones sometimes have feet of clay.

They write, they shoot, good for them. Hooh-ha.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Gunwriters educate and entertainment us and as we grow and learn it takes an unusual one to keep our interest.
Ross is one of the best at his craft.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Me too.

He has a style that has encouraged me to try some of his advice [ie R-22 in the .338, .45 Colt Bisleys, Failsafe bullets].

In general I have had excellent results.

I have trouble with the occasional comment that he can be unpleasant in person. I don't think it matters much. Most folks can. We purchase his writing not a personal meeting we find pleasant.
Posted By: antlers Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by 458Win
Gunwriters educate and entertain us and as we grow and learn it takes an unusual one to keep our interest.

I've learned a bunch over the years, and have been entertained too, as a result of reading lots of books and magazine articles written by gunwriters. Some of my favorites have been Gary Sitton (my all-time favorite), Craig Boddington (got to meet him at a SHOT Show, has incredible amount of hunting experience), John Barsness (and Eileen; I feel like they're talking to me around the fire at deer camp), Jack O'Conner (loved his book Sheep and Sheep Hunting, I'd love to be able to spend the time in sheep country like he did) , Rick Jamison (loved The Rifleman's Handbook...good read), Finn Aagard (enjoyed reading about his time in Africa, and in the Texas Hill Country), John Wooters (Texas deer hunting knowledge was great), Jim Reardon (really enjoy reading about his times in the field in Alaska), and I enjoy reading about you (and your family) hunting those bigass bears in Alaska. There are many others, Seyfried included, that I enjoy.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by gmoats
I thought of starting a new thread called "Seyfried's Sartorial Splendor" but thought it might fit better in response here.

I got to know Ross in 1979. During the period between when he won the US Nationals in '78 and thru '80 he wore a "lucky shirt." If you see any of the old American Handgunner ads of him having lept a barricade, he's wearing this same shirt:

This is the image to which gmoats was referring, with Ross clearing a barricade while wearing his lucky shirt. American Handgunner later used it for its subscription ads. Original photo by Ray Odorica.
[Linked Image]

The image below is of Raul Walters wearing his striped sox.
[Linked Image]

Both images are from The American Handgunner of March/April 1979. Seyfried on page 29, Walters on p.31.

--Bob
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/17/11
Originally Posted by 458Win

As are you, sir!

Johnny $

Posted By: gaperry59 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/18/11
I remember seeing that ad in AH magazine when I was 9 years old. Now there's a trip down memory lane. Thanks for digging that up and sharing.

Greg P
Posted By: WheelchairBandit Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/18/11
If you've never read it before, Seyfried's "Theory of Relativity" article is superb and spot on. I think of it whenever I start thinking about how "powerful" my various handguns are.

Brian.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/18/11
Originally Posted by Gene L
I'm over hero worship for gunwriters. Some are very good, some are not so very good, but even the good ones sometimes have feet of clay.

They write, they shoot, good for them. Hooh-ha.

Thanks for saying that, Gene. smile
Posted By: PJGunner Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/19/11
Ross' articles were interesting, even if it was something I wasn't interested in. The one article I remeber had to do where he taught some woman to shoot a Dutch or Romanian 6.5 mannlich and the then went out an used it to kill an elk. I forget if it was a cow or a bull. If I'd had a tag and the season was open, I'd had loaded up my 7x57 with 175 gr. bullets and tried to take one using loads that duplicated the originals.
Paul B.
Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
He also said the 6.5 hit harder than carteidge ??
Posted By: CullingTime Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
He also said the 6.5 hit harder than carteidge ??

How about taking another run at your point, but try ENGLISH this time.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I think the aticle he wrote on the .340 Weatherby was very refreshing and showed up the industry for being quite stale at that time.

John

I remember that article in Guns 'n Ammo in the late 80s or early 90s. Built my own then and hunted it for 20 years.
Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
Sorry bout that, he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge hehad ever heard hit an animal.
Still a questionable statement.
Posted By: KenOehler Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
My favorite Ross Seyfried story dates back to when he still lived on the ranch in Colorado following his stint as a professional hunter in Africa. I can't vouch for all the details.

Seems that late one summer afternoon, Ross stopped by a local watering hole to rinse out a little dust. He'd spent the day working hay on the ranch. As he was relaxing, a group of bikers stopped by and gave the local character a hard time. Ross left quietly. The proprietor then told the bikers, "You know that guy who just left? He wears those funny short pants and ankle high boots because that's what he wore while he was a professional hunter stomping across Africa. He says that they are appropriate dress for summer work here. He usually keeps a .45 no farther than his pickup, and he's a national champion using it. His family settled this county, and he has lots of friends around here. Sure hope they don't come in and mess up my place."

Ross knows his stuff and most pleasant to associate with. He is an honorable man.

Ross bought and paid for this testimonial. He is one of very few who has insisted on buying my meal. When Ross announces, "I get this check; do you understand?", you say "Thank you very much."

Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
grin
Posted By: gmoats Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/20/11
Good story Ken, no doubt about the veracity of the details.

One day Ross left the ranch and drove to an IPSC match in Aurora. Somewhere between Roggen and Aurora on one of the back roads, a car of hispanics pulled up beside him, yelling, making gestures, etc. They accelerated over the ridge and disappeared. A couple of ridges later, Ross topped the hill and saw the car stopped sideways, blocking the road. He stopped the car and got out. He had his competition Sparks holster, mag pouch and Pachmayr on. IIRC from he told me, he said, "do you fellows want to discuss Colorado driving laws?" They saw his rig and decided to vamos quick-like. Talk about picking on the wrong guy!! That was prior to his world-shoot win when he was pretty much just shooting-reloading-feeding cattle. It would have made an interesting case study!! :-)
Posted By: outahere Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
I have always appreciated Ross's genuine respect for the game.
Posted By: djs Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
I'd like to read more from him - there is a market for his writings.
Posted By: El_CuCuy Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
I think a compendium of his Guns and Ammo Articles would sell really well. Fat chance that'll ever happen though...
Posted By: 2525 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge he had ever heard hit an animal
As I recall it, he said the sound of the hit was weak enough he worried it hadn't done the job.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
Re: your poster name - Zagger and Evans? (If that makes no sense, it's probably because you are not old enough. In that case, ignore the question.)
Posted By: Bandukwallah Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by 2525
he said that the 6.5 hit louder than any
other cartridge he had ever heard hit an animal
As I recall it, he said the sound of the hit was weak enough he worried it hadn't done the job.
The article in question was published in Rifle No. 208, July-August 2003, titled " Ken's and Ross's and Lisa's Favorite Rifle". Lisa is the lady who Ross's son Rich guided on an elk hunt; she carried the rifle in question, a .256 Dutch Mannlicher by Henry Atkin. Here is the quote:

"The small "pop" from the Atkin did not give the impression of power, and Rich described it as a weak feeling, one that in parts of a second made him wish for our usual level of horsepower. But a tiny instant later, the sound of a tremendous blow being delivered returned to their ears. He described it as one of the loudest "hits" he had ever experienced. Too, they gained confidence from the sight of "her chin nearly hitting the ground". When you realize that elk often and regularly do not react to bullets, almost never go down to the shot and routinely run off with really big hits, the power of the wee Highlander is impressive. The cow made it less than 20 yards."

Posted By: dtspoke Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I have always appreciated Ross's genuine respect for the game.

This reminds me of his article about the Bull Elk and the Cat.

Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
So now all thats left is buying it.
Posted By: 2525 Re: Ross Seyfried - 04/21/11
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
"The small 'pop' from the Atkin did not give the impression of power, ..."

Ah, that is what I remembered, then. Sorry about that, hawkins.
Posted By: OldWorld Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/10/11
The articles of Ross Seyfried have been very important for my own hunting and shooting life here in Germany. My absolute favourite has been "6,5-it does it all" which led my to buy a custom 1909 in exactly that caliber in 1991. I shot it (and still do) on many occasions for roedeer, reddeer in Scotland and chamois in the alps mostly with 140 grain Partition, it never led me down. Now another one from Ralf Martini is in the making.
Also the article about the 45 pistols, the 7x57, the one about the 416, and nearly everything in shooters in sight provided lots of knowledge. Nowadays I look forward to every issue in the Double Gun Journal, the article about the 318 Westley was fantastic. What I like on Ross Sefrieds writing is the combination of in-depth knowledge combined with a deep respect for the animal and ethics. It would be fantastic if there would be an opportunity to get a compedium or book of his best articles.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/10/11
OldWorld,

Welcome to the campfire.
Posted By: 7x57STEVE Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/10/11
Old World,

Thanks for your contribution, and another welcome to the Fire.

You may find it somewhat interesting.

Steve
Posted By: hawkins Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/10/11
Too bad you didn't read the third post before yours.
Sorrybout that!
Posted By: OldWorld Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/10/11
I always enjoyed the discussions around the campfire and thought it was about time to contribute in a way. And thank you all for the kind welcome wording.
Posted By: BTagart Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/30/11
Well, I'd better get my 2 cents worth in about Ross Seyfried.
A few of you have met Ross, most have not.

I not only knew Ross but I shot with him in I.P.S.C. completion. A lot!

This was in the '77 to '79 period when I.P.S.C. was in its beginnings here in Colorado.

We hosted to first national I.P.S.C. national match at the old Table Mt. Gun Club in Golden CO.

I was just looking though old match flyers and happened upon the match results from Boulder CO where Ross was in the list of new shooters. It was in July of 1977.

I was in my early 30's and Ross is 10 years my junior. He was my junior only in age; he was way ahead of me when it came to having class.

I'd like to publicly state right here, and I hope Ross happens upon this, that when comparing our two personalities, Ross was the leader and I must apologize to him for the way I acted to him on one occasion. I think he�ll know what I mean. Come to think of it he has probably forgotten all about it. I wish I could.

Anyhow, to get to the point about what kind of guy Ross Seyfried is, I must tell you about what happened at the banquet for the 1979 I.P.S.C. national championship match in Park City, Utah.
Ross had placed #2 behind Mickey Fowler and had won the man on man shoot-off. (By the way, by winning the shoot-off, Ross won the FIRST Bianchi Cup ever presented.)

Mickey Fowler had asked Ross to come and sit at the �Champions Table� where the other champs were sitting.

Ross respectfully declined and instead elected to sit with his teammates, the rest of the 10 man Colorado team. (I was part of that team and came in #80 in the field.)

The picture of Ross coming over the barricade, pistol in hand while staged that time for safety, was the way Ross usually came over that barricade. That was a 7 foot barricade and you had to start with your pistol holstered, that�s just how Ross did it, he was a real athlete. He hopped that thing like most guys hop the picket fence in the back yard.

Yes, Ross can be opinionated; he has the right to be. He has studied his craft done his homework and is, for my thin and dusty dime, the best writer since Elmer Keith. He worked for it.

Ross Seyfried and Jeff Cooper wrote for a certain magazine at the same time. Ross quit the magazine and then Jeff passed away, and I canceled my subscription, there was no one writing any more that I could believe in. There still isn't. Neither of those men could be bought.

I too miss Ross's writings.

Posted By: writing_frog Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/30/11

Welcome to the fire, Bavarian. Like you and Btagart miss Ross Seyfried. I waited for my Handloader and Rifle copy to read his articles first when he wrotes in. A knowledgeable gentleman writer. I remind and article he made about a big bear hunt in Alaska he wrote for Successful Hunter (Wolfe) was one of the very best hunting story i read. Lost that copy, taken by a friend and never returned...
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/30/11
BTagart,

I read your comments with interest. You have confirmed, at least in my mind, what kind of man Ross really is. I continue to hold him and his writings in high regard.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/30/11
I remember him as my favorite writer for Wolfe Publications. I don't know why stopped. I wish Rosswould write more again...
Posted By: shootem Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/30/11
The Wolfe Publications with Say-Fried, Johnny B and Pistol Pierce together got me back into reading outdoor journals more so than since the days of Page and O'Connor. Having all 3 on the same staff made a subscription no-brainer material. Don't recall if Phil Shoemaker was on the staff at that time but he definitely fits in that range of talent.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
shootem,

+3
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
I also agree with Shootem. I would add Finn Aagard as another great writer for Wolfe who really know what he was talking about. The Wolfe writer lineup at that time was definitely outstanding.
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
another +1
Posted By: gmoats Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by BTagart
...Ross respectfully declined and instead elected to sit with his teammates, the rest of the 10 man Colorado team. (I was part of that team and came in #80 in the field.)

Ron Phillips, Ikey Starks, Don Fisher (the best pistolsmith in the US BTW), airline pilot named Grumbles?, big red headed computer guy whose name escapes me right now---am I close? I've forgotten others. There was a pretty good shooter from the west slope that often was a shoot-off qualifier also.
BTW, Bill Wilson once said that if he didn't build his own guns, he'd use a Fisher gun.

Are you still shooting in Colorado??
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11

I went and found some old slides from 1988 when Ross was working on �Miss America�.

Here is the view from Ross's bench to the 1 mile target.
[Linked Image]
This was a 30-416 Rigby Improved way before anyone else was messing with this kind of stuff.

The rifle was an original Ultra Light Arms and was actually the prototype for the big ULA action. The thing weighed 17 Lbs and balance was not the strong suit.

Scope was the Leupold Ultra 16X, the forerunner to the Mark IV series.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Funny how Leupolds dialed properly 22 years ago and still do today.

Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
Cool. I remember that writeup on that rifle. He opined that the missing link in that system was a laser rangefinder, and if and when they became practical it would change the way good riflemen hunt. I guess the rest is history. Looks like Ross was out in front of the pack in most everything he did. I think they call that vision.
Posted By: jpb Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
Yep, I remember that rifle and the article too! Hard to believe that it was so many years ago.

I have little interest in handguns, but Ross could interest me in them (or anything else!) anyway! I recall his quest to get a proper revolver to shoot true MOA.

Thanks for posting the neat old pictures, John. I promise I won't Photoshop any of these. grin grin grin

John
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
I wouldn't want Ross Seyfried shooting at me with that rifle. In fact, I wouldn't want Ross Seyfried shooting at me with any firearm.

Expat
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Ross Seyfried - 05/31/11
Another thing I remembered from that article, Ross figured his comeups from some ballistic program. He didn't trust the calculations and only came up part of the way. First round short in the dirt. Dial the rest of the original dope, next round on the board. Them Leupy's would track even way back then. Delta used the exact same scope on their "airfield" 300 Win Mags back in those days. Their snipers had no complaints as I recall.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/01/11
I remember that article. Ross and that rifle could command a very sizable chunk of real estate.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/01/11
Another thing I remembered from that article, Ross figured his comeups from some ballistic program. He didn't trust the calculations and only came up part of the way. First round short in the dirt. Dial the rest of the original dope, next round on the board. Them Leupy's would track even way back then. Delta used the exact same scope on their "airfield" 300 Win Mags back in those days. Their snipers had no complaints as I recall.

You are spot on and the program was from Dr. Ken Oehler of the chronograph fame and he has a post earlier in this thread.

I also remember when Ross first showed me that rifle and I saw it was a Leupold on top I said something stupid about Leupold not being the best choice. Ross kinda looked at me for a moment and then said �This Leupold will change your opinion�.

He was, once again, right.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/01/11
Ahhh. I remember that "Miss America" rifle article very well..

Besides Lazer range finders, another things has changed in the last 23 years is the consistency of factory bullets.

It would be very interesting to see groups sizes shot with that same rifle with some of today's bullets.
Posted By: Trombaguy Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/03/11
A friend of mine here in Salt Lake shot IPSC with Ross back in the day. He told me Ross had actually cracked a 1911 frame with his grip.

I really miss his article in Rifle. He could be abrasive, but his articles were always interesting and full of real world experience.
Posted By: pointer Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/03/11
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

[Linked Image]

Ross has certainly aged well, as he's not near on ugly now as he was then...
Posted By: djs Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/03/11
I wish I had access to a 1 mile range, or even a 500 yerd range. In the East, they are hard to find.
Posted By: BTagart Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/04/11
Did you get my message?
Do we know each other?
Posted By: grvj Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/04/11
I recall an article in Handloader about big caliber handguns and an Alaskan hunt for big bears by Ross. This was a 4-6 week hunt but one observation stuck in my mind. There was a bear up on a snow bank jumping up and down on a snow bank with it's front paws. After a time the snow bank collapsed in a small avalanche down a slope along with the bear.

A short time later the bear emerged, shook itself off then climbed back up where it originally was and started jumping on the remaining snow again.

Ross commented that there were few animals that could "play" with mother nature and survive which illustrated how powerful and resiliant bears are and why a proper caliber was needed!
Posted By: Hobie Re: Ross Seyfried - 06/04/11
I've enjoyed reading this long topic about one of my favorite writers. Don't know him, never met him, but I've read his stuff for as long as he's been published and looked forward to and enjoyed most every article. I really like the handgun and old gun stuff. Seems like a fine fellow to me.
Posted By: TheXAssist Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/05/13
Originally Posted by gmoats
Originally Posted by BTagart
...Ross respectfully declined and instead elected to sit with his teammates, the rest of the 10 man Colorado team. (I was part of that team and came in #80 in the field.)

Ron Phillips, Ikey Starks, Don Fisher (the best pistolsmith in the US BTW), airline pilot named Grumbles?, big red headed computer guy whose name escapes me right now---am I close? I've forgotten others. There was a pretty good shooter from the west slope that often was a shoot-off qualifier also.
BTW, Bill Wilson once said that if he didn't build his own guns, he'd use a Fisher gun.

Are you still shooting in Colorado??

It's good to know someone still remembers me from back then. That was Jim Grumbles you are thinking of. Big guy was John Maxwell who was 6'4" or so and a good 300 plus pounds. That was a pretty good IPSC Nationals match as I remember, as I finished 35th and second out of the 10 shooters from Colorado. That was my first time at the Nationals so I was pretty pleased with the results.

My username is taken from the name I had engraved on my PPC revolvers that I custom built. Since the idea of the gun was to shoot X's, I came up the The-X-Assint as the name for the guns.

Don Fisher/Fisher Custom Firearms
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

John

That might have been the article that put me to making a 340 B. Later, after Win's Failsafe bullet came out, or maybe it was Barnes First X bullet, he opined that these bullets brought each cartridge "a click up" in effectiveness, i think he was right; sometime later after the "340 B" article, he came out praising the 338 WM "over the 340"; he explained it was these bullets which have changed the cartridge world (paraphrase mine).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by jim62
Nope ,he is was raised on a Farm/Ranch in central Colorado just northeast of Denver.

I remember the real estate piece on the ranch when he was trying to sell it. Seems he couldn't come to terms with some family members.

Did it ever sell?

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I remember the real estate piece on the ranch when he was trying to sell it. Seems he couldn't come to terms with some family members.

Did it ever sell?

DF

Are you thinking of the Oregon ranch, Elk Song Ranch?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Did it ever sell?

DF

The Elk Song Ranch has been sold for some time now

Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Ross stopped at my table at a Denver gun show many moons ago as I had some kind of weapon that he wanted to look at and if my memory serves me well, John Burns had alerted him about whatever the gun was. Probably something that John Linebaugh had brewed up. I enjoyed listening to him for a half hour or so. Nice guy.
Posted By: UAE Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Mister Ross is The best of the best....
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
I recall his 340 Weatherby article, it was a classic. Would like to read his "evolving" view on the 338 WM. if anyone can point me in that direction.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
As others have said on this thread, I always enjoyed reading his articles, even when I had no interest in the topic at hand.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Anyone know what magazine and issue the 340 WBY article was in?

Dink
Posted By: mudhen Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
So, I have reread the earlier posts and read the most recent. Does anyone know where Ross is now and what he is doing? If he is writing, I must not subscribe to or see the publications that carry his work. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: ErniesSalad Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
Originally Posted by DINK

Dink

G&A September 1989

Dink

I don't but I want to say it was '91 or '92. I remember, I was in Des Moines, IA.,visiting my sister, bought a--was it Guns'n Ammo?--and the cover sported a domino-like line-up of 340 cartridges. And then the article by Ross S.

I swallowed it, as they say: hook, line, and sinker. Built a 340 and hunted with it 20 years. Great, great cartridge!

Never let me down either.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
I believe he is still writing for the Double Gun Journal.

Some where in the new century (the 2000's) I had email contact with RS. I invited him to the 24HCF. He responded, "too much chaff, too little wheat". I answered, "well, bring more wheat". He declined.

And that's fine. To each, his own. grin

RS, I wish you the best.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/06/13
As a reader, Ross has always been one of my favorites. As a writer, he reminds me of how much I don't know. Whenever I have a question for him via email, he always gives me a good answer.

Posted By: calikooknic Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
I liked his comment in the Miss America rifle, that if he couldn't get a powder slow enough, he would try nitrated charcoal.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by Caballo

Dink

G&A September 1989

Sorry,I posted without catching yours. I knew it was in there--'89-'92--somewhere.
Posted By: EWY Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
I remember his "How To Shoot a Handgun" article. He said the ony two moving parts on a handgun were the trigger and the sights. Move one without moving the other and you are all good .

Ernie
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by Caballo

Dink

G&A September 1989

Thanks. I will see if I can find it.

Dink
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
Originally Posted by EWY
I remember his "How To Shoot a Handgun" article. He said the ony two moving parts on a handgun were the trigger and the sights. Move one without moving the other and you are all good .

Ernie

Excellent advise from Mr. Seyfried.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/index.cfm?magid=31
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
I can only repeat what others have. Ross could take a subject I had absolutely no interest in, and write an article that was utterly fascinating to me. That's a helluva hallmark.
Posted By: jt402 Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
Never met the guy, but I think I know him by reputation and through his writings. He, JB, Mr. Ken, and a few others have cost me a good bit of money over the years. No regrets, just facts. Jack
Posted By: Mark R Dobrenski Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
Never met Ross, spoke with him on the phone once and had a good chat. Mainly about the .340.

Hagel was a big influence on me (hence the Mashburn thing) and he got me running a .340 as did a couple other mentors of mine. The .340's been a heck of a round to me. Far and away when set up properly one of the most accurate rounds I've messed.

I've burned thru 2 barrels and am on #3.

Tis a hammer for field mice to elk @ long range.

Dober
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/07/13
If Elk Song has sold, does anyone know where Ross has moved to?

I visited Ross and his son at Elk Song 12yrs ago this month. Definitely one of the "big moments" in my life.
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/08/13
Originally Posted by 222Rem
If Elk Song has sold, does anyone know where Ross has moved to?

I visited Ross and his son at Elk Song 12yrs ago this month. Definitely one of the "big moments" in my life.

The fact that they moved and we don't know where they are doesn't have anything to do with that, I'm sure.
grin
Posted By: 222Rem Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/08/13
Smart azz! grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/08/13
Was it that long ago? Dang!

I first met Ross at the Vancouver, British Columbia, airport where several gun writers met on their way to a black bear hunt with Jim Shockey. He was glad to take a few days to hunt, as he'd been moving ranch equipment from Colorado to Oregon for a while.

The next day I watched him shoot a good bear with a Gibbs single-shot 12-gauge and the then-new Federal slug load using the Barnes Expander.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/08/13
Does anyone have a scan of the "Miss America" article? I recall reading it way back when but I'm afraid my copy is long gone.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: Ross Seyfried - 02/08/13
Does anyone know the exact dates Ross wrote for guns and ammo?

Dink
Posted By: Fotis Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/06/13
[Linked Image]

Jerry Seinfeld shoots???????????
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/06/13
fotis that's John Burns.... smile
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/06/13
I briefly talked to Ross at last spring's Tulsa show and he is now living in Oklahoma.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/06/13

What's he up to these days, besides messing about with 19th Century British long arms?

I haven't seen a DGJ for ages.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/07/13
Originally Posted by BobinNH
fotis that's John Burns.... smile

I know but could not resist!
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: Ross Seyfried - 11/07/13
What happened to Elk Song Ranch? Did Ross divest it? I would like to have gone there and hunted with Ross.
© 24hourcampfire