Home
For all you Jack O'Connor fans here, the Jack O'Connor Hunting Heritage and Education Center in Lewiston, Idaho, is raffling off a replica of Jack's pet Model 70 .270. Tickets are $25 each.

This rifle is as close to an exact replica of Jack's favorite rifle (his #2 of a pair of Model 70s, rebuilt/restocked in 1959 by Al Biesen, and on display at the center), a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester, rebuilt and stocked by Roger Biesen, Al's son, in the same shop that created the original, to the same standard and pattern as the original. It is also engraved by Jack's granddaughter, Paula Biesen Malicki. This is the #4/2011 rifle of a series, built to identical standards, and it may be the last.

The drawing will occur in about two weeks, at the center. The link below lists the phone number and has pictures of the rifle (it's done, this is the exact rifle the winner will receive); you can buy tickets over the phone. This is an important project for the near term support and funding of the center.

http://jack-oconnor.org/rifle.html

I'd also strongly recommend a visit to the center, located in Jack's home town. Lots of his big game trophies and other O'Connor memorabilia (including his International Travelall, restored by Buck Buckner) are there. Worth the trip.
I printed the raffle page to take to our morning coffee and BS meeting. Lotsa gun nuts present and one of em trained under Al Biesen years back. His stock work is incredible. I only wish he would do more of it.

The photo of the raffle rifle is great. Understated elegance in a rifle intended to be hunted.
Great idea, Vern, and you are right, these are fabulous rifles. I haven't seen this one, but saw at Biesen's the one previous and can attest they are even better than they appear.
That is a beautiful rifle. Still think I'd want a recoil pad though!
Heresy...though I'll admit that I'd have a problem putting engraving like that against the ground.
Wow,what a beautiful rifle!!!
I was able to handle all three rifles last Saturday. #1 and #2 are still in darn good shape. This years raffle rifle is superb. Cheapskate that I am, even I sprung for a ticket.
Over the Thanksgiving holidays, I saw the rifle at the Jack O'Connor center in Lewiston and can attest to it's beaty. It is definitely impressive. Even I had to get a ticket.
That is a heck of a rifle. Even this lefty may have to spring for some tickets.
I have been trying to call this place to buy a raffle ticket and NO ONE answers the phone. Someone wake them up and tell me how to contact the museum!

PLEASE !!!!!!!
Just did - docbill, they are not open Sunday nor Monday until Memorial Day, are in process of rearranging their volunteer help to cover the schedule.

Maxine answered my call (208-743-5043), took my order. They will take credit card info over phone, mail ticket stubs to you snail mail (your tickets go immediately into the drawing hopper).
Maxine just sold me 5 tickets, beautiful rifle for sure.
Drawing is June 4th; tickets are 5/$100 or $25 ea. Would be nice to see somebody on the 'fire get this.
Believe I might have $50 or $100 to spare.
I stopped by the center today and looked at the rifle in person. It really is drop dead gorgeous. Needless to say, I bought a ticket. The gentleman minding the store said that the next (#5) rifle will be the start of an O'Connor african series. It will be chambered in 375 H&H.
Just picked up my ticket!
Do you know how many tickets they are selling? I need to get mine soon.
Don't know what the ceiling is, but I'd not wait too long...drawing is June 4.
1000 tickets .
Alvin Linden (Ol' Scratch), one of Jack's early stockmakers, said a recoil pad on a fine rifle is like wearing rubber boots and a tuxedo! grin
My tickets were in the 400 range so call and buy. Tax deductible, non profit 501 c?
Nice rifle, but I'm not sure about the "Leupold VXIII 4x scope" on it.

I'll take a wild guess & say the scope is a Leupold FXII 4x33mm or 6x36mm. Nothing wrong with those scopes. I would take'em & not complain a bit, especially one onboard a Biesen rifle I've won!
Originally Posted by 3dtestify
I'll take a wild guess & say the scope is a Leupold FXII 4x33mm or 6x36mm. Nothing wrong with those scopes. I would take'em & not complain a bit, especially one onboard a Biesen rifle I've won!

They are a very nice scope. I have one here waiting to go on a rifle. I just wondered if Leupold had made some sort of custom VX 4x for the project.

That's a good point & it's completely possible. However, it may be a FXIII version.
The VX would seem to indicate a variable. I have never seen a variable 4 power.
We saw those rifles last year and they are sure nice. If any of you get up there its well worth the time to go see that place.
that rifle would be REALLY nice if it was chambered in 30-06 grin
Last chance - one last reminder to buy tickets at last minute, today's the last day, drawing tomorrow. About 650 tickets sold so far, you get a good chance at a great rifle and help keep the Jack O'Connor legacy alive and well.

Aside from the Jack O'Connor connection, this is a top drawer rifle that today would cost well over $10,000 to replicate.

Good luck!
So, who won this?

Mark Yochum, of Lewiston, Idaho.

Bradford O'Connor drew the winning ticket yesterday from the "gerbil cage" after Roger Biesen spun it twice, in front of a big crowd at the center. Paula Biesen-Malicki was also there (Roger's daughter, the engraver for the rifle).

Next year's rifle is also finished, so all is not lost (I had my fingers crossed, will keep them that way). Thanks to all who contributed and bought tickets.

Thank you for the info. Would be great to read some field reports from Mr. Yochum.
Here are some photos of the event:

Roger Biesen, winner Mark Yochum, Paula Biesen-Malicki, Bradford O'Connor (you can see the "gerbil cage" in background from which winning ticket was drawn - guess mine are still in there!), and of course the #4 rifle.

[Linked Image]

Bradford and Roger with the #5 and last in the replica rifles, for the drawing next year. It will be on display at the center.

[Linked Image]
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.
That's 3 losses in a row to get an O'Connor-Biesen the cheap way. confused Oh well, guess I'll just have to break down and order one directly from Roger! crazy
© 24hourcampfire