Home
Does anybody have any knowledge on the Golden State Santa Fe? I've seen a few popping up and don't know much about them, other than they look like $3-400- old school hunting rifles with solid actions and decent stocks.
They also used Springfield 03 actions, the ones I have seen
usually have rough actions, but I havent handled awhole lot
of them.
Thanks Jericho! I was in a conversation with August yesterday about an old Mauser (much nicer than a GSA) and started nosing around...
I bought my first centerfire rifle from Golden Gate in 1957, a Remington Rolling Block in 7X57mm. I still have the rifle and shooting it is a hoot!

The Sante Fe (IIRC) rifle used a Model 98 acton made in Spain.
I've got an Argentinian FN Mauser in 7X57 that I haven't fired yet. It's ugly on the outside, but the action and the barrel are in great shape. I've always been impressed with the bank-vault-like quality of the action.
I've got a GSA Santa Fe Grenadier R-169 in 30-06. It appears to be a standard Mauser 98 action with some kind of modified two stage trigger that's heavier than I'd like(7lb?). Its got a buhler safety that's on the left. The barrel falls into a med sporter category. Its got a decent Walnut stock and it has a pressure point in the forearm. It is D&Ted for standard mounts. Mine heavy trigger and all (not to mention the trigger puller) is at 1.5-2in right now and I hope to drop that with a full free float, a lighter trigger, and some handloading (the 1.5in load is Fed blue box 150grs).

I guess what is comes down to is how much you could get one for. I paid $150 for mine with a cheapy scope and I feel like I got a hell of a deal. I'd say anything under $300 is good I think $400 you can start finding interarms or parker hales though I think in some respects these might be better but its same same as they are all 98s.
I've seen several of them and wouldn't pay more than $300 for one. Those that I have seen were on basic 98 actions (military actions, with clip slots cut and follower stops intact) with stepped barrels in 8mm or 30-06, restocked in basic sporter style stocks. Decent donor or knock-around guns.
Those are the older guns once they hit the early 50's they are a vanilla commercial 98 no stripper clip slots or stepped barrels. To the best of my knowledge those stopped around '52 but who knows a lot of the old GSA literature is long gone.
© 24hourcampfire