Home
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new in the box Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in a .270 WSM. It is a 2008 Limited Edition. Now I need to mount a scope on it. I want to stay American, so I was leaning to a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm. I like the BDC recitals so this model would be the LR Duplex. Now where I'm at a loss is the base and rings. I have some basic weaver bases (aluminum). Are these crap? Should I buy Leupold base and rings? What size is apropriate for a model 70 short action? Iv'e read both medium and low... dose anyone have a similar rig that would know? Thank you all for your help... here is some pics of my new Model 70 smile

Any suggestions and help would be great. Any thoughts on the rifle altogether would be welcome as well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img:left]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9917/winchestermodel70feathe.jpg[/img]

I'm running Leupold DD's (dual dovetail mounts) on mine with low rings and a 3-9x40 elite series bushnell. Your idea of the leupy should work out great though. I don't have any good pics of my fwt but the DD's look great and they are strong. Some guys here like to go different routes so you'll find that everyone of us have our preferences. Here's about the best pic I have of it along with my hawkeye grin (both 308's):

[Linked Image]
Great looking guns! Since you have low rings you must not have any clearance problems with the bolt.
I like, BSA's suggestion of the Dual Dovetail mounts..

The gun is not really a flyweight rig anyway, so lightweight mounts are not needed..

The Leupold mounts will be a nice compliment to the blued steel and Walnut rifle and the Leupold scope.
Nice rifle! I would suggest a 2.5-8x36 VX 3 as it mounts lower. Skip the BDC reticle as it only works at the highest power in a SFP scope. S&K mounts/rings although not well known are top quality, strong, handsome and have windage adustment in both bases. S&K controls height with the base not the rings. The Leupold I suggested will use low bases.

http://www.scopemounts.com/
Originally Posted by ShizerJack
Great looking guns! Since you have low rings you must not have any clearance problems with the bolt.

No clearance issues at all. It works great with the bushnell.
I habitually use the burris zee rings on all my rifles. My 70 fwt came with a set of millet turn in rings and bases and they are a nice looking pkg and reasonably priced , I just took them off as I prefer the zee rings. By the way nice looking rifle.
Hello Everyone,

I just bought a new in the box Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Deluxe in a .270 WSM. It is a 2008 Limited Edition. Now I need to mount a scope on it. I want to stay American, so I was leaning to a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm. I like the BDC recitals so this model would be the LR Duplex. Now where I'm at a loss is the base and rings. I have some basic weaver bases (aluminum). Are these crap? Should I buy Leupold base and rings? What size is apropriate for a model 70 short action? Iv'e read both medium and low... dose anyone have a similar rig that would know? Thank you all for your help... here is some pics of my new Model 70 smile

Any suggestions and help would be great. Any thoughts on the rifle altogether would be welcome as well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img:left]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9917/winchestermodel70feathe.jpg[/img]

VERY NICE rifle there. I've been wanting one of the 2008's for a while now. One of these days, one of these days grin
Do you all feel the same way about the BDC recitals?
D/D bases and low rings, and your choice of scope is fine. I would seriously consider the Leupold 6X36 matte with LR reticle.
Talley low rings would be my one and only pick and I would go with the Leupold 3-9x40 that you suggested.
Leup DD's or Talley's. Both work. I don't lose any sleep over the weight difference.

These days, recommending a scope is like recommending shoe sizes.......one doesn't fit "all"......ya gotta shoot to answer your questions about works for you.

The dots do work fine...I use them in a 6X.
Since you already have the Weaver bases, get some gloss Burris Zee rings and put a gloss Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 on it.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-1zee-solid-steel-rings.html

I wouldn't buy Leupold bases or rings. They aren't that strong and they are heavy. Talleys LWs would be another great choice.
Talley LWs and 2.5x8x36 Leupold. That's what I have on mine.
I have VXIII 2.5-8 with Weaver bases and their Quad-lock rings on my Featherweight. Light, strong, nice looking set-up. To each his own.
How about some pics of the other side of the Rifle????? Looks sweet so far.
Leupold 2.5x8 would be my pick, in DDs or Talley steel mounts.
The two main things I hunt is Elk and Mule Deer. I usually hunt in the transition zone of the Colorado Plateau (the Prescott national forest if your familiar with AZ). This is a mix of grasslands, Juniper forests and up to Ponderosa pine forests. We usually find our self in 17A - 17B (grassland and junipers). We have several hill tops that we frequent where we usually spot them as far out as a 1000 yrds. We often have shot opportunities from the hill tops of 400-600 yrds. I have passed on everything over 300 due to my substandard equipment. However stocking onto a deer in the Arizona high country isn't the easiest thing to do. Sometimes you'll get a ridge you can sneak up behind and pop over (this works great when I have dad watching the buck from the hill top). However I rate my stalking skills at weekend warrior levels.
That is all going to change I am getting all the right gear and going to put in the practice that is needed. I want to be able to take that hill top shot if I have the opportunity.

I assume that 2.5-8x36 is sufficient for elk (we grow them big here in AZ) but will that be a little week for mule deer?
Here is the other side

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry about the funny angel.
I would go with either Talley's or Warne's as for scopes well I would skip the cluttered reditcals and go with a plain duplex. I would go fixed power. I think a 6 x 42 Leupold would work just fine for that 270 WSM. Zero spot on for 200 yards, then keep shooting at targets till you find the range were you hit spot on were the reditcal goes form thin to thick and make note or it. Game dose not stand around while you try to fig. out which like to use! And when most shooting done in low light some of those redicals can be hard to see. I like the Kiss method.
Jack O'Connor managed just fine with 2 1/2 to 4 power scopes, and he nailed some stuff at some pretty fair distances. In one of his stories (don't ask which one), Eleanor shot a jack rabbit at over 400yds with a 4x scoped .257 Roberts, because she didn't know it couldn't be done. 2.5-8x wil be fine, although the 6x Leupold is a good choice, too.
My 7-08 fwt. carries a VXII LR 2-7 in Talley Lightweights. That's plenty
ShizerJack - Scope choice is a very INDIVIDUAL thing. Part of that is one's eyesight. Only you know your vision and how much help you need or want.

I only wear reading glasses, however I choose more magnification in my rifle scopes. MIN - Lup 2.5-8 or 3-9 and PREFER 4-12.

The reason I prefer 4-12 is at any longer range, more mag lets me see the animal better and be more precise in AIMING. If you'd like to test yourself, use 1 gallon jug at 300 & 400 yds, aim with a 4X or 6X scope THEN try it with 8X,9X, or 12X.

Let the SCOPE & your EYES make the decision. You only need to please yourself.

Another thing to consider in choosing a scope is how much tube is available between the objective bell and the turret and between the ocular bell/power adjustment ring and the turret. This will affect how much fore and aft adjustability you have in mounting the scope for proper eye relief for you. That WSM is a short action so the 2.5x8 is a very proportional size but the 3x9 and 3.5x10 scopes are longer and give you more flexibility in mounting. Also some mounting systems put the rings further foreward or further back than others. The Leupold website lists the exact dimensions of their scopes under "specs".
I like the Swaro Z3 3-9x36
That is one nice looking Featherweight you have. I'd love to have a Featherweight Deluxe, but I can't get past the floorplate.

I have a Leupold FXII 6x36 on my Featherweight 270 Win; for me it's a perfect fit.
I don't mind the floor plate vs detectable mag. My biggest gripe is the three position safety. I'm used to tang safeties, the three position seems a little loud and cumbersome but I will learn to operate it with lots of shooting. Again though everything feels so well made I am very pleased. I will let you all know what I mount on it and how it shoots. Thanks for all the input.
You got one of the nicer stocks ,that I have seen in a while.Usually one side is nice and the other so so.I have had 3 270 WSM`s and all have been shooters.I think talleys and a Minox 3X9 would keep the weight down without breaking the bank.
I would probably get the Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX3 and set it in Leupold dual dovetail rings & bases.
I have the very same gun also in .270 WSM. You are going to love that gun! I put a 4.5x14 Leupold VX III on it. It has the B&C recticle on it. Maybe I went with too much power based on the previous responses but I sure like the set up. I can't wait to hunt with it. Good luck with yours!
I'm excited to get out there and shoot it! The gun had a sister next to it in a .300 WSM but the wood was very bland compared to the .270 WSM. I'm glad because I preferred the .270 but would have went for the best looking gun.
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Nice rifle! I would suggest a 2.5-8x36 VX 3 as it mounts lower. Skip the BDC reticle as it only works at the highest power in a SFP scope. S&K mounts/rings although not well known are top quality, strong, handsome and have windage adustment in both bases. S&K controls height with the base not the rings. The Leupold I suggested will use low bases.

http://www.scopemounts.com/

I'll 2nd the scope choice here, its what I have on mine, and many others in the past. I WILL have to suggest looking into TALLEY LIGHTWEIGHT base/rings..or DNZs, which is what I'm currently using and really like. Although I DID cut the "bridge" between the 2 rings and refinish them myself..they work great. NICE looking 70 you have there...I know you will enjoy it !
What do you all think about Burris 3x-9x40mm Fullfield II Ballistic Plex E1 with Burris Zee rings? I can get this set up for under $200.
I'm excited to get out there and shoot it! The gun had a sister next to it in a .300 WSM but the wood was very bland compared to the .270 WSM. I'm glad because I preferred the .270 but would have went for the best looking gun.

After all, the better it looks the better it will shoot right grin
There are no flies on Burris scopes. I have a 2-7 that's great.
Both .300 WSM and .270 WSM have great ballistics. But I plan on passing this gun on to my son so I was concerned with the aesthetics.
Originally Posted by shootinurse

ditto..I have a 2-7 Shotgun/Muzzleloader model with Ballistic plex on an Encore Muzzleloader, BOTH work well together !..I've also had it on a .243 with same results....
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deg967

ditto..I have a 2-7 Shotgun/Muzzleloader model with Ballistic plex on an Encore Muzzleloader, BOTH work well together !..I've also had it on a .243 with same results....
[Linked Image]

Your new nickmame is woody, because that's what your sig line gives me grin whistle
+1 on the heavyweight "brains" AND the lightweight talleys.

donsm70
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Your new nickmame is woody, because that's what your sig line gives me grin whistle

Bet you didn't notice she's a smart girl who can accessorize as well...i just noticed her fingernails are the same color as her cup laugh laugh laugh...not that any of that matters..unless they're racking your back..O hell, not even then
Hey BSA...how many pages you think we could get if we ask people to judge if they are real or not ?
Great looking rifle. If they ever see fit to offer the new Model 70 in .280 Rem, I'd buy it right now.

I'd have to go with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and Talley low rings. The Leupy 2.5-8x36 is a nice scope, but the 270 WSM begs for more.
Hey BSA...how many pages you think we could get if we ask people to judge if they are real or not ?

I don't know, but if you have her take her shirt off we can talk about it wink whistle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't know, but if you have her take her shirt off we can talk about it wink whistle

A whole new thread...gunstuff would be on the back burner I'm afraid laugh
All you'll need is Talley LW 1 piece in low. sell everything else in the classifieds.
© 24hourcampfire