Home
Anyone have or use both? What is the perceived difference that you've observed?

Thank you,
BR

P.S. if both have 23" barrels, will the 270 Weatherby still have the ~200fps edge on the 270 win.? Or will I lose too much to make the switch worthwhile?
270 Weatherby recoils more;about like a 7 mag.

Don't know on the velocity loss as I never had a 23" 270 Weatherby and would not want one.
Assuming equal weight rifles and standard loads, the 270 Weatherby will have a heavier powder charge and therefore greater recoil (with equal weight bullets),
I have both, without question the Roy has a bit more recoil but mine is also lighter in weight than the Win. I certainly have NOT found the recoil objectionable. The Roy has a 24 in tube vs the 22 on the Win. I must have a slow Win because I cannot get close to the speeds many here report. So in my case the Roy is as a rule 300-350 fps faster than the Win and I find it to be worthwhile.
I have both as well. 270 Wby kicks a skosh more. To be honest though, I can't really tell the difference off the bench and especially not in the field. The Wby is a bit heavier, not by much though.

If you re-load and or can afford factory ammo, I wouldn't even consider the 270 Win. The Wby stomps it. It's a real sreamer.
Intuitively we all would agree that the Wthby recoils more poind for pound. The real difference between the two is quite small on paper and in the field imho. I'd go with the one that fits me better. As you have read here over and over again, its not the velocity, its the placement.
Good luck out there.
I have a couple of M700 ADL's in 270 Win ,1 with a factory tupperware and the other with original wood. Also have a MK V 270 Wthby Mag with 24" barrel. The Mk V out weighs either ADL by 1 to 1.5 lbs. With the Mk V stock, perceived recoil is less than what it is in foot pounds and I shoot full dose loads of 7828 and 150 Horn SP bullets in it. Both ADL's have pretty good kick to them because they are light weight. After shooting them all and comparing them to my 7mm Rem Mag and 264 Win Mag, I'd say the 270 Wthby is the more pleasant Magnum rifle to shoot,again from the stock design angle.I enjoy them all, but what 1 will do all will do if correctly pointed.I do get an honest 3150 with 150 gr Hornady's with 7828, that's a solid 200 over a a hot loaded 270 Win. Magnum Man
Originally Posted by BobinNH
270 Weatherby recoils more;about like a 7 mag.

Don't know on the velocity loss as I never had a 23" 270 Weatherby and would not want one.

I tend to agree
i have all 3 of the 270s to me about the same
Charlie Sisk has an easy to use way to determine and compare felt recoil on his website (www.siskguns.com).
All close depending on stock design and weight. What I do notice is the noise level and muzzle blast which seems in direct proportion to amount of powder burned, peak pressure and barrel length.

The last is what I would base my choice on-22" =270 Win, 24" = 270 WSM and 26"=270 Roy.
They are about the same to me and I've shot both carts in multiple rifles. Typically when folks speak of the two they are comparing a factory 270Win with 22" bbl to a Mark V with 26" bbl. The MV is a heavy rig with MC stock design vs lighter rigs with std stock designs. If anything, the MV in 270 Roy seems a little less violent in percieved recoil than a 270Win in a lighter package.

Now, if comparing customs of the same specs, the Roy is obviously going to have more recoil.
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
They are about the same to me and I've shot both carts in multiple rifles. Typically when folks speak of the two they are comparing a factory 270Win with 22" bbl to a Mark V with 26" bbl. The MV is a heavy rig with MC stock design vs lighter rigs with std stock designs. If anything, the MV in 270 Roy seems a little less violent in percieved recoil than a 270Win in a lighter package.

Now, if comparing customs of the same specs, the Roy is obviously going to have more recoil.

I will agree with this , I had a older model Weatherby Mark V Alaskan in 270 Win.
A great rifle all in all but this model had a plastic std stock design.
Recoil was not bad at all but I now have a Weatherby Mark V stainless in 270 Wby
The Wby style stock fits me like a glove.
The recoil seems less to me at 50 yrs old than the old 270 Win felt when I Was in my late 30`s.
AMRA
© 24hourcampfire