Home
I have read and heard lots of good things about both cartridges. I'm also looking to buy another rifle :)I already have a 270 Win and 300 win mag that I love and they will be my primary for most deer/Pronghorn. I'm just looking for a dual varmint and deer rifle.

I would prefer to stick with a 24" barrel (rebarrel) a Model 70 for this job.

Which do you prefer and what bullets would you use?

I would be mainly using this rifle for long-range coyotes, maybe some California Blacktails, some mule deer, and an occassional Pronghorn or light gun for Africa (think: Springbok, Impala, Mountain Reedbuck...).

With what you already have I would go with the 240. It would give a little bigger gap than you get between the 25/06 and 270. plus you could accidentally resize a 270 case to 25/06 and realy have a problem loading a case with a 270 headstamp that is not a 270 bullet. Just my $.02 ymmv.
I'd go with the 25 and a barrel fast enough to spin the VLD's and a 24" barrel. You'll have a wider variety of bullets with the 240 though.
Never had one, but the 240 sounds like fun to me.
Do you reload? If so, sounds like you're trying to justify buying a Weatherlee! Otherwise, if you don't reload, why do you want to spend the kind of jack that'd be necessary to feed that weatherlee? grin

OTOH, if you want a weatherlee, why not forego the .240 for a .257 - that'll make your .270 look slow!

But to toss a further wrench into the discussion ..... in a quarter bore a .250 Savage, .250Sav A.I. or .257Bob or .257Rbts A.I. are ALL sweet sage goat getters. smirk grin

Of course your .270 ought to be a heckuva pronghorn riffle as well.
The Weatherby Ultralight with the 6 lug action in 240 Weatherby is a nice carry rifle and the reports I hear are that they shoot well also. I loaded for one in a 9 lug lefthand action. Norma brass is expensive some of it developed case neck splits on the 1st and 2nd firings. It obviously had some issues in quality back then. It liked 100 gr Horn SP's and then I had to try 85 gr Barnes XLC's which would copper foul the barrel to patterns by 15 rds.That effectively made me stop using them period.
The 25-06 has a proven track record everywhere on many different uses and even Wallyworld carries the ammo at a decent price. Any action you have that were chambered for 270-30-06 will work as a donor action without magazine work,can the same be said of the 240 Wthby mag? Magnum Man
The Ultra Lightweight Mark V is a VERY nice hunting rifle. My .240 weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces with a 6x36 Leupold in Talley Lightweight rings, aqnd shoots very well with either handloads or factory. I haven't had any issues with the recent brass, and loads are very easily developed. The big game load I'm using now shoots into 3/4" or less with the 90-grain Nosler E-Tip at 3400+.

That said, I have two .25-06's and would suggest that it's more practical--and also available in the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight. It is pretty close to the .270, but with a wider selection of varmint bullets on the low end. Brass is of course cheaper and more widely available.

Years ago some gun writer mentioned running .25-06 brass into a .240 die, and having the case come out perfectly, right down to the belt. I tried it and the reformed case looked perfect, but wouldn't chamber in my Ultra Lightweight, even though the reforming was done on a Redding Ultra Mag press.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Years ago some gun writer mentioned running .25-06 brass into a .240 die, and having the case come out perfectly, right down to the belt. I tried it and the reformed case looked perfect, but wouldn't chamber in my Ultra Lightweight, even though the reforming was done on a Redding Ultra Mag press.

John,

I had seen that, too. I haven't tried it, although I did make .257 Wby brass out of 7mm Rem Mag Winchester brass. Cases were just a tad short, but they worked OK.

With the .240's I was a bit concerned about the belt and if sizing the case that much may create a weakness where the case body meets the base/belt. If your newly formed cases looked perfect, where do you think the problem was?

DF
The slight angle on the front of the new belt.

You're just funnin', right? You really wouldn't do that chit.
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

You're just funnin', right? You really wouldn't do that chit.

Honest answer to an honest question. Yes, some do try to make dollar and a half Wby rounds from fifty cent non-Wby brass. Nothing wrong with that, IMHO.

Forming .257 Wby from 7mm Rem Mag or similar is easy. The .240 Wby is more of a challenge. Although the base is '06 diameter, the case body has a smaller diameter, starting at the step down ahead of the belt.

Sizing non belted cases into belted brass is a challenge and JB is stating that the limiting factor is the leading area ahead of the belt where the sizing die, evidently, can't adequately size that part of the case. I was concerned about weakening the case with that much re-shaping at the case wall/base or belt junction.

DF
I never heard of such a thing, forming belted cases from non-belted. Sounds hokey to me.
It's been published, discussed. JB didn't dream it up.

There may be something on line from a word search. I haven't tried it but wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something posted.

DF

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

There may be something on line from a word search. I haven't tried it but wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't something posted.

DF

Schit, if it's been published, it's a FACT, then gringringrin

Steve

Go 6mm Remington and you won't go anyplace else looking for the perfect deer, antelope, coyote gun!
i remember reading where jim carmichel did this very thing in an article he wrote on the 240 wby mag. if i recall, that article was written around about 1973, and i think he used gi 30-06 brass...
Originally Posted by dogzapper

DF

Schit, if it's been published, it's a FACT, then gringringrin

Steve

Doesn't make it good, just means it's been thought of and tried before.

I'm going to stay with factory brass. I'm not that hard up, yet... cool

DF
6-06AI and make life easy on yourself, twisted 8.
Yeah I've always thought that a 6-06 or AI would work nicely on a Springfield action w/ an 8 or faster twist...

What could that NOT kill??
Once upon a time I tried to form 240 cases out of 06 cases and it didn't work for me.

I've been running a 6/06 for a long time now and that's the way I'd fly again. Next time I'll go with a quick twist so I can run the heavier Bergs.

Now if elk were on the menu on a consistent basis then I'd go with the 25/06.

Dober
Out of curriosity, I went out in the shop and ran a new W/W .270 case thru my .240 Wby Bonanza Benchrest FL resizer. I greased the case up good with Imperial die wax and it still took a bunch of muscle power to make it happen. I was using the Redding Big Boss and I had to "man handle" it to get it done. No matter how hard I cammed the big press for max penetration into the die, I couldn't get the "belt" sized small enough to chamber in the rifle. The case diameter ahead of the belt was fine but the belt was slightly too long. The new round was too long and would need to be trimmed.

To get the belt pushed back enough to work, one would have to get thinner shell holders or cut some off the bottom of a sizing die to squeeze the round in far enough to swage the belt back another .005", or so. The formed case had a rim of pealed brass on the leading edge of the belt that had to be ground off. Even if it fit the gun, it's a crude looking piece of work. I'd post a photo, but no one would be impressed.

Way too radical and crude an operation, even for me. I'll gladly pay the price for Norma .240 cases. Making .257 Wby brass from 7mm Rem Mag is OK, this operation isn't. Saving money is one thing; forming .240 Wby brass from other cases is not a viable or practical option. IMHO.

FWIW,

DF
Big Redhead,

I tried it because Jim Carmichel tried it, and reported that the cases came out of the .240 die looking perfect, or something like that. I'm sure the exact quote could be located somewhere in my collection of Carmichel writings, but I ain't gonna bother.
I've read some good things about the .257 WBY. It might be worth a look.
MD and all

I wasn't trying to put anyone down. I just think trying to form a belted case from a non-belted case won't work worth beans. Think about what you would end up with. The "belt" would be formed by the bottom part of the case body folded inward at a right angle and laying against the inner-top surface of the case head. If the "belt" were in the correct location it might be made to fire, but holding up to anything like 60kPSI seems quite unlikely, even once.

Dirtfarmer, shortening a sizing die by removing material from the bottom would not make the base of the case go any deeper into the die. It would make the neck and shoulder go deeper, but not the base. However, a shorter (thinner?) shellholder would if the material was removed from the top of the shellholder.
Removing material from the top of the shell holder OR from the bottom of the sizing die, should allow the case to be pushed further into the sizing die, enough to swage the "belt" another few thousands of an inch shorter, such that the case would chamber. The neck and shoulder would have to take care of themselves on this first pass. Once the brass fits the chamber, then the next sizing wouldn't have to be so severe. One could set the shoulders back just enough for easy bolt closure and go from there. The belt's not critical to headspace, case just needs to fit in the chamber so the bolt will close.

I would probably remove metal from a designated shell holder. You can be sure I'm not going to be grinding on a Bonanza Benchrest FL sizing die!

DF
Big Redhead,

I dunno about that. Cartridge brass is pretty flexible when new, and cases vary considerably in head "height."

Some people with .30 Newtons have fired belted brass in them for years. The case in front of the belt flattens out, which in theory should weaken the case. But so far as I know, nobody has died as a result.

All I know is that if I HADN'T tried to size an '06-based case in a .240 die, then some reader would have written in to the magazine, pointing out the error of my ways. You wouldn't believe how many nitpicking gun-magazine readers exist in the world. Or maybe you would.
I could make it work if I had to. I'm glad to say that I don't need to.

DF
Well, yeah. I'm just sorry some other gun writer tried it, so the rest of us had to.
I just can't imagine why I'd ever spend the money on a .240 WBY over a 25/06, other than the oddity factor of the .240.
In my case, I just happened upon a used HS Precision SPL in .240 Wby. and bought it right. That led to working up loads, etc. I've owned a 25-06 in the past and it was a great rifle, but I traded it for something I thought I wanted more, can't even remember what.

The quarter bore is probably more versatile, but I'm enjoying this .240 Wby. The .240 should do well as a Pronghorn, Whitetail and hog killing machine. For bigger, meaner stuff, I've got firepower to cover about any possibility one could imagine, so this rifle doesn't have do anything other than what it was designed to do.

And, as you well know, with us gun nuts, it doesn't have to make sense... laugh laugh laugh

DF
Originally Posted by BarryC
I just can't imagine why I'd ever spend the money on a .240 WBY over a 25/06, other than the oddity factor of the .240.

The oddity factor is the exact reason I'm gonna buy a Vanguard S2 .240 Weatherby, when they're available. No other reason to, as I have a 6mm, a .243, a .25-06, and a .257 Weatherby.
Originally Posted by KDK

The oddity factor is the exact reason I'm gonna buy a Vanguard S2 .240 Weatherby, when they're available. No other reason to, as I have a 6mm, a .243, a .25-06, and a .257 Weatherby.

See, I told you. You have a problem..............Not enough guns grin laugh whistle
Enough guns? Is that possible?
Originally Posted by KDK
Enough guns? Is that possible?

Nope. Like having too much money grin

Dang, I've got a project that's way too overdue. And it's kind of a combination of all of the above.

For lots of years, my favorite antelope round has been the .25-'06 and my gain-twist (11" to 9") Pac-Nor barrel shoots the 100Ballistic waaaay fast.

Anyway, I'm always willing to go faster, so a couple of years ago, I picked up one of those Remington 700 SPS Stainless Steel/Synthetic rifles that Sportsman's Warehouse had specially built. You know, the ones with the 26-inch barrel in .257 Weatherby. I've messed around with the rifle quite a bit ... actually, done everything but fire it grin I've floated the barrel, Marine-Texed the recoil lug recess and action and dicked with the new-fangled trigger (it's a dream @ 3-pounds). And I fitted it with Leupold QR bases and low-rings and mounted a Leupold 4.5-14 scope.

Then, I called Richard Beebe and he sent me just about every Redding die possible. Hey, the dies are Comp-everything and there's a full compliment of TiN-plated bushings for dealing with the neck-sizing.

I KNOW a guy can neck-down .264 or 7Mag cases, but in the interest of science I used some of my Cabela's VISA points and picked up 100 Weatherby-brand .257 Weatherby cases. This sincerely hurt my feelings, it's the first time in over twenty years that I've actually BOUGHT consumeable complents, but I have absolutely no contact at Weatherby, so I actually had to spend money for components ... horrors, horrors, horrors!!! gringringringrin

Anyway, actually BUYING cases, especially those unreal-expensive cases, sorta pissed me off. It is an impossible concept, a handloading writer actually BUYING cartridge cases. But I did.

I have lots of bullets; I'll center on the Nosler 100-grain Ballistic Tip and the Hornady 100-grain SP Interlocked. And I've got a decent supply of those, until I run out.

Powder? I'm thinking prolly IMR-7828 or thereabouts.

Anwyay, one of these fine days, I'll actually have to venture out to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club and shoot this gorgeous-looking rifle. Everything looks and feels perfect ... Hell, if looks could shoot, it's a half-incher right now. grin

Report to follow ... in a month or six.

Steve

Steve,

You got it bad, brother. Makes me feel a lot better about myself. smile

DF
I'm jealous. Nobody ever "gave" me reloading components, ever, whereas Steve complained about having to actually pay for a hundred cases - once. Life is good, eh brother Steve?
DZ-back in the days I ran a 257 Wby quite a bit and my normal day to day load was 7828 and 100 Horns. I used it here for all that moves from mice to elk and it did it's work quite well.

Tough combo to beat for most anything that moves in the ark.

Dober

I'm jealous. Nobody ever "gave" me reloading components, ever, whereas Steve complained about having to actually pay for a hundred cases - once. Life is good, eh brother Steve?

Yeah, life is very, very good.

Absolutely, I was laughing at myself the entire time. The industry has been wonderful to me and I was poking fun at myself. You never want to take me very seriously ... I surely DON'T grin

The .257 Weatherby, the way I have it set up, is gonna be a fun ride.

Steve

Absolutely, I was laughing at myself the entire time. The industry has been wonderful to me and I was poking fun at myself. You never want to take me very seriously ... I surely DON'T grin

Steve

You have a new 257 Roy in the lineup, Steve-O?
cool

I would like to do another 270 Roy myself, but I have always had a thing for the 0.277" bore.

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
DZ-back in the days I ran a 257 Wby quite a bit and my normal day to day load was 7828 and 100 Horns. I used it here for all that moves from mice to elk and it did it's work quite well.

Tough combo to beat for most anything that moves in the ark.

Dober

Friend Dober,

That's the way I had it figgered back in my very-gunny late teenage years and early 20s. Then I took a loooooooooong circle and am back here at the .257 Weatherby again.

Life gets curiouser and curiouser gringringrin

Your buddy Steve

Originally Posted by 340boy

Steve

You have a new 257 Roy in the lineup, Steve-O?
cool

I would like to do another 270 Roy myself, but I have always had a thing for the 0.277" bore.

Old friend, yup. Dang, I've owned it for like two or three years and have not fired it yet. We are so busy with K's Altar Society stuff and such that I simply have not MADE time.

Totally different subject. I was re-reading my earlier post and sounded like an idiot, a cheap idiot ... sorry to all.

At the same time, I was doing a private writing about how humbling it is to have thousands of readers (when I used to write) who trusted me. What an unparalleled honor and privilege. Seriously. The trust ... wow. And thank you!!

Your buddy Steve

PS. Karen's coming along really well; Thanks Be To God

Steve,
Did you ever do a article on the 25-06? If you did where can it be found?

I think you should also do a article on the 257 Weatherby... grin

Dink

Originally Posted by DINK
Steve,
Did you ever do a article on the 25-06? If you did where can it be found?

I think you should also do a article on the 257 Weatherby... grin

Dink

Friend Dink,

Yup, I did a single article on the .25-'06 and it is rather a long, complete one. Regrettably, I've chsnged computers (couple of times) and son't ahve the article on my hard disk. And it is so danged long that it would cost me a fortune to send copies to everyone ... 11-pages, believe it or not ... so I cannot offer carte blanche to all. Gosh, it must be 6,000 words or whatever.

It was during a time when I was free to tell all I knew about a cartridge and include lots and lots of GREAT personally-developed data.

Anyway, if you can find a copy of Varmint Hunter Magazine Issue #14 - April 1995, look on pages 162 THROUGH grin 172.

Oh one thing, at that time, I had a couple of 8-pound kegs of RL-22 that was really, really slooooow. PLEASE drop the ReLoder-22 data stated in that articles load data by fully 8 or 9%.

Let me know if I can help you further.

God Bless,

Your buddy Steve

Steve,

That is a great article. I've been saving it for when I get my own 25-06. If X-mas was not a month away I would have one.
Friend Steve, I've got a really good scanner at the office. Send me printed copies of anything you want to have electronically and I will scan it and e-mail it back to you in PDF format. I won't keep copies or share them - just return them to you to share or have electronically as you choose.

Ward
Steve,

A PDF of that article, per Ward's offer, would be a great way to keep that info alive and it would be greatly appreciated by a bunch of us fellow loonies.

DF

DF,

I haven't been ignoring Wards wonderful offer, I've just been busy working on some personal writing. Singularly wonderful Christmas gifts for a very, very few friends. Hopefully, my friends will like these especial little scratchings.

OK, PDF. I'm so danged ignorant ... I guess that would be sent as an attachment or something.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll go ahead and print up ten of the .25-'06 articles. I'll do the printing on both sides of the paper and get them ready.

The first ten guys to sign up and send me a PM with their snail-mail address (like name, actual address, city, state and ZIP) will get an article sent by mail. Should be out today if you sign on early enough ...

OK?

That will keep the article and all it's information alive. And I don't have to mess with computer stuff. Plus, I can finish my very special writings ... you guys have no idea how very wonderful a couple of these pieces are ... it makes me cry-for-happy to put the words on paper and it makes me even happier than that to share with a few guys and gals I love deeply.

So, sign up and I'll get the articles out!!!!

God Bless You All,

Steve

OK, I have one going out.

To keep this simple, why don't we do an "I'll Take It" for everybody to see.

Then, please send my your contact information as a PM.

This would address any privacy issue some might have.

Number One is spoken for.

Hey Guys, I'll also autograph each one. That and ten bucks will buy you a small cup of Starbucks Coffee gringringrin

Your buddy Steve

I'll take one.

PM sent.
I'll Take It

PM sent
I'll Take one also please. Thanks, Brad.
PM sent.

DF

Dear Dirt (I dig it grin)

You will be number five.

Printing right now and will have them off today.

Anybody know how much it costs to mail a letter to Canada? I don't have a postal scale, but I have a handloading scale (fancy that :grin) and the five printed pages (both sides), envelope and a stamp weigh 440.0 grains.

As I remember, one-ounce is 437.5 grains, so the Canadian one weighs within a nano of an ounce.

Would a couple of First Class Liberty Bell Forever stamps get my article to British Columbia???

Thanks for your help and God Bless.

Steve

105gn A-max or VLD would be a good reason "Why".
Steve, I will take one if you still have a couple left.

PM following.
Have not read all of the posts.

Ballistically they are too close.

Used to work with 2 brothers on a ranch, one shot the .25 and the other a 6MM-06 IMP.

Both shot 100 grain bullets for deer and 75 grain HPs for ranch pests.

I never saw a nickel's worth of difference.
240 Weatherby or 25-06 Rem for Coyotes, Deer, Pronghorn ?

It's like cutting the line between six and a half dozen....until one gets to the economics of it all.....and the 25-06 wins every time.

Friends,

Six articles with names on them. I have four more.

Steve

I would like one please.

I would prefer for you to personally deliver it this January during the Alabama rut. grin

But I'll take the mailed version.

Thanks.
I'll take one. Many Thanks.

Jonathan
I will take an article please! Thank you. I will pm you my contact info.
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I would like one please.

I would prefer for you to personally deliver it this January during the Alabama rut. grin

But I'll take the mailed version.

Thanks.

Friend Brett,

You've got it, old friend.

One day, maybe Karen and I'll take you up on that. She'll be able to travel some day again, so it might just happen. gringrin

Please PM your contact information and watch your mail.

May God Bless Your Day,

Your buddy Steve

I'll take one too! sending PM

That's it. Twelve, actually.

I sincerely pray that you all totally enjoy the article. Please don't forget that my lot of RL-22 was slowwww and that the newer lots are considerably faster.

God Bless,

Steve

Originally Posted by KDK

Yeah man. I'm glad you discovered that hole in your arsenal and are working on filling it.

The .240 Wby should fill that void quite well... smile

DF
Steve - Can You Say " HI-JACKED " ? ? grin laugh

One of the best jobs I've seen here! Really not being critical. Just jabbing! !

Now that I've missed out cry maybe we can talk about 240/2506 laugh laugh

REALLY GLAD to see you participating again.

Jerry
brooksrange - where did you get lost? ? wink

For the MONEY, the 25-06 will do the same job with more than one advantage. And I'd probably go that route?

Now I'm one to talk, looking for a 6.5X55 which is MOSTLY a handloading proposition. I don't need it, I just WANT one.

Soooo If you want a 240, you know what you're looking at, go for it.

IF you want to get the job done more economically, you know which one will do that. ONLY you can make the decision.

Happy Headache laugh laugh
Originally Posted by KDK

Yeah man. I'm glad you discovered that hole in your arsenal and are working on filling it.

The .240 Wby should fill that void quite well... smile

DF

I long ago gave up on trying to find holes to fill. A .25-06 and a .35 Whelen pretty much do everything i NEED done. I am at the point where if I see something cool, I get it. But a MK V in .240 never made much sense to me, and if truth be known, I don't much like the 9 lug (or 6, for that matter) action anyway.

I sincerely pray that you all totally enjoy the article. Please don't forget that my lot of RL-22 was slowwww and that the newer lots are considerably faster.

God Bless,

Steve

Dang it! A day late and a dollar short, again!
Originally Posted by KDK

God Bless,

Steve

me three...sure hope that info gets posted...

I have that issue of varnint hunter.

Dink
Originally Posted by brooksrange
I have read and heard lots of good things about both cartridges. I'm also looking to buy another rifle :)I already have a 270 Win and 300 win mag that I love and they will be my primary for most deer/Pronghorn. I'm just looking for a dual varmint and deer rifle.

I would prefer to stick with a 24" barrel (rebarrel) a Model 70 for this job.

Which do you prefer and what bullets would you use?

I would be mainly using this rifle for long-range coyotes, maybe some California Blacktails, some mule deer, and an occassional Pronghorn or light gun for Africa (think: Springbok, Impala, Mountain Reedbuck...).

Hmmm...let's see ;), where were we smile? Oh yes, 240 Weatherby or 25-06?
Thanks.
hey Brooks - did you read thru all the discussions here? I just wanted to let you know that some keep place w/your ? ?

I M H O there's not a big diff. between the two cals. I don't see either one NOT
doing what you want.

If nothing else this post will bump the thread back to the top at least for a little while.

Good Luck

Jerry

I agree that there's not a lot of difference between the two calibers. I've run both and, of course, find the .240 Wby more interesting because that's the one I'm playing with at the present time.

The 25-06 is more practical with the lower cost of ammo/brass and the fact that it's a quarter bore. An 80 gr. TTSX at 3,600 fps in the .240 Wby is interesting. Lots of punch with almost no recoil. That should make an ideal set up for recoil sensitive whitetail and pronghorn hunters. But, one can do the same thing with the 25-06.

DF
D f - YEP, that's the way I see it.
I'm hoping to bloody the .240 this weekend on a deer (prob a doe) and maybe a hog. I'm anxious to see what a fast 80 gr. TTSX will do.

This gun is pretty good out to around 300+ yds. without a whole lot of Kentucky elevation. It holds 1,000 ft #'s of energy to around 400 yds. That little bullet, starting out fast, runs out of gas before it gets way out there.

For longer shots, I'm taking my 6.5-284 with 140 SST's @ 2950 fps. It has a turret calibrated to 600 yds. I don't think there's a need for a turret on the .240, just shoot it flat out to 300 or so and give it some elevation to 400. Beyond that, I may plink at a 'yote or hog, but wouldn't shoot a deer beyond 300-350. I have one stand where 400-450 yd. shots are a probability. I'll take the 6.5.

DF
I have had both and made the conscious decision to go with the .25/06 for all the reasons not in favor of the .240.

For most deer sized game and with 100 grain bullets you won't see any difference but there is a step up with the .257 caliber that shades the 6mm and the brass situation is a needless additional cost without benefits.

John
John-a step up how so?

Thx
Dober
John-a step up how so?

Thx
Dober

Depends who and how. Mindset can be important in hunting. Many hunters will "feel" mroe adequately armed with 120 grains that 100 in a smaller caliber.

With conventional bullets of 20 years and more ago, I would favor 120 grain bullets for larger game. With todays premiums, 100 grains will about do it all. Heavier bullets were only ever invented to counter weight loss during penetration.

If the bullet weighs the same on both sides of the impact, it matters far less.

Believe it or not, I still favor lead bullet for some applications. That is old thinking but still has the history of success when placed correctly.
John
I see a step in terms of big big game like elk but not for the small big game like deer/lopes etc.

And, I'm with you in terms of some aps I prefer a lead bullet also. I could easily live my life with Horn sp's, NBT's and Hot Cores.

Dober
Mark,
I don't see much use for a 120 grain buillet in the .25/06 except for elk and possibly black bear, and that is just me.

John
I hear you, though we've used the 120 Speer quite a bit on all game small and large and of course when directed properly it worked...grin

In the 25's (25/06 and 257 Wby) and the 100 Horn with 7828 always did quite well for us. And elk were no exception.

Dober
Mark,
The problem with the 100gn Hornady is, that it concludes argument.

John
Never used a .240 Wby on anything - but the .25-06 is a firecracker on coyotes & mule deer!
I have been the 240 weatherby route and it is no doubt a hot-rod. The brass isnt worth a schit. 2outa 3 split necks and i decided 6-06 would be better. Ended up having my smith buddy build a 6-284 and its a shootin biotch. Still wanta build a 6-06 just havent got around 2it. 25-06 in the mix also and it works great.
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Mark,

John

Very well said my friend

Dober

I've killed a few elk with the .25-'06 using 100-grain Hornady Interlockeds and they went nothing but straight down ... dead.

In truth, after having killed quite a few head of big game, from antelope to elk, with the 100-grain Interlockeds, I personally do not see the need for any heavier bullet. All the heavier bullet gets you is a compromised trajectory and heavier recoil. As far as penetrating better or killing deader, 'taint there.

Here is a photo of my bride of 47 years with a buck she whacked with the 100-grain Hornady. Ol' Deadeye shot him behind the ear at 250-ish and he tumbled to the bottom of the canyon.

Bloody hands are happy hands grin

Steve

[Linked Image]

Great pic!

Dober
I've never used the 240weatherby, and only have accounted for 4 head of game just this season with my 25-06AI, but I'm loving it! Can't believe it took me this long to get around to building a .25 cal rifle. I've only shot the 100NBT's so far but I can't see anything wrong with them at all. This rifle just seems to flatten critters. Rachel notched the first kill with the rifle on her pronghorn buck at 416yds and he never moved at the shot. We were shooting down on him and it entered high and exited low without great bullet performance. #2 was my pronghorn buck at 460yds and it was a repeat, he simple folded at the shot. It was a cross canyon shot and we were level with him, it entered the near shoulder and exited the off, with very little wasted meat.

I was not suprised at the performance at distance with the pronghorn's but was a little worried about the 100NBT up close. Turns out the worrying was all for naught. #3 was a good whiteatail buck last week at 80yds, he was running does at an angle away and I swung and put one in him and he too pretty much just hit the dirt. Shot entered at about the 4th rib and shredded the lungs and lodged in the off shoulder. #4 was another whitetail last night at about 175yds that was quartered towards and it too simply folded at the shot. Shot entered right in the near shoulder, destroyed lungs, liver, then proceeded to exit in front of offside rear leg.

We still have deer tags left and quite a bit of hunting to do, but I almost can't wait for that to come to an end so I can start doing some coyote hunting that rifle. I think it's gonna be bad....for the coyotes. (grin).

Like I mentioned I have no exp w/the 240weatherby. My fastest 6mm I have a lot of exp with is the 243AI. But if I had to vote I'd likely go 6-06 if I had to go wtih a LA 6mm. But if I wasn't tied to the 6mm then I'd likely go 25-06. Although a 6-06 running 105 Amax's/VLD's would be a heck of a rifle.

I ran one of my 25-06AI brass into my 243AI neck die and seated a 105VLD and the 6-06AI with that long bullet looks pretty damn good just sitting still. Maybe when this 25-06AI tube is gone it'll get a 6-06 or 6-06AI tube. So many cartridges and so little time.....
Laffin......y'all gonna wear out that 25-06AI barrel killin stuff!.....good on ya...good on y'all!
25-06 definately. Mainly because of component availabilty. I haven't seen 240 Weatherby factory ammo east of Tennessee in years. That's another factor too.

Thanks, Tom
Originally Posted by Tom2506
25-06 definately. Mainly because of component availabilty. I haven't seen 240 Weatherby factory ammo east of Tennessee in years. That's another factor too.

Thanks, Tom

The internet is your friend!
A .240 Wby owner needs to be a handloader, for sure.

DF
Originally Posted by wbyfan1
Originally Posted by Tom2506

Thanks, Tom

The internet is your friend!

The problem w/that is: S&H isn't cheap ON TOP of expensive ammo. shocked frown
There are some interesting posts from the naysayers here earlier on about forming 240 cases from 06 brass.
It is an aknowledged fact that the 240 originated when Roy swaged 30/06 military brass to the new shape.

I had a 240 years ago and made all my brass from 270 cases using a base die I machined out of an old die and never had a problem.
Mike,

Welcome to the Campfire!

I only reported the fact that running .25-06 cases into my Redding .240 die didn't result in useable brass. Roy Weatherby might well have used slightly tighter forming dies. I'm also sure that some die company could make a .240 die that would do the job.
Mike,

I tried that and with my dies, I couldn't get the belt short enough to chamber. The .240 case made from .270 was too long and had to be trimmed. The shoulders weren't fully formed and would look better after the first firing.

I agree with John. With the right die set up, that could be done. Even with a big press, such an operation takes a lot of "elbow grease". It also takes a good coating of Imperial die wax. Forget the usual case lube stuff.

.240 Wby cases are expensive, but IMHO, not so expensive as to warrent all that work. And .240 cases formed from .270 brass look rough. Mine had a ring of pealed brass that I had to grind off the leading edge of the newly formed belt.

Now, with my .257 Wby, making brass from new 7mm Rem Mag cases was a breeze. Old brass is work hardended and twice as hard to form. The formed cases, BTW, were slightly shorter than SAAMI specs and the shoulders were fully formed with one pass thru the .257 Wby FL sizing die. I never bought Wby brass for my .257, just W/W 7mm RM brass. Reportedly W/W brass is harder than Norma/Wby and the primer pockets last longer but I never had the factory stuff to compare.

DF
Thanks for the welcome John, I used to come on here a fair bit, but it has been a while so I guess my old posts have evaporated into the ether.
You and Dirtfarmer are both right in that the factory FLS dies wont form the body properly but it is really easy to make a die for this.
The effort required with the propper die isnt all that great, and the use of a lube like wool fat reduces the apparent effort a lot over the sizing die wax.
I wouldnt bother going to these lengths to get cases usually, but if you think 240 cases are dear and hard to get in the US, buying them in Australia is nothing short of painful.
Mike,

Do you shorten a regular FL sizing die to form .240 cases from 25-06 or similar?

What's the story on this lube?

DF
Originally Posted by chas05
Originally Posted by KDK

God Bless,

Steve

I would really like a copy of Steve's article. Could one of the recipients of Steve's generosity please post a copy or PM me?

Thanks

GK
Originally Posted by Shortmag
Originally Posted by chas05
Originally Posted by KDK

God Bless,

Steve

I would really like a copy of Steve's article. Could one of the recipients of Steve's generosity please post a copy or PM me?

Thanks

GK

GK,

Ward sent me a pdf file containing my .25-'06 article. PM me with your e-mail and I'll attempt to send the pdf as an attachment. I'm computer challenged, but with your patience, we might just land the article in your e-mail.

God Bless,

Steve

Mike,

Do you shorten a regular FL sizing die to form .240 cases from 25-06 or similar?

What's the story on this lube?

DF

The base forming die is different, in that it only forms the body of the case and the belt.
I had a toolmaker friend copy an original that I think was branded "Hollywood Gunshop" from memory, this was some years ago now, both the rifle and die were sold.
Anhydrous wool fat is used as a drawing lubricant, it is signigicantly more slippery than products like Redding wax.
It is available here from any pharmacy.
Just ordered a belt swaging die from ch4d.

DF
Well done, did you have any luck finding the wool fat over there? it really makes a difference. Send me your email address if you need any more info on the forming process.
Could someone email me a copy of Steve's 25-06 article? PM me and I will send over my email.

Thanks
I think the 240 weatherby is better than the 25-06 in part because the ballistics are really interesting if using a 24" barrel and using 90+ grain bullets.
John,

You brought this old thread back to life.

As discussed on another thread, I did get a CH4D belt forming die and made $1.50 .240 Wby brass out of $.50 W/W 25-06 brass. It works pretty well and the formed cases shoot as well as the expensive ones. I'll post those photos again.

DF

Formed case on left next to a factory one. Hard to tell them apart.
[Linked Image]

Flat topped "shell holder" is platform for case being pushed into die. It takes some muscle, a compound leverage press, like this Redding Big Boss and plenty of Imperial Die Wax to make it work. The case is them backed out of the die with the punch and a blow or two from a heavy hammer.
[Linked Image]

Here's the CH4D set up. Funny thing about the nail. I called CH4D and told them their punch was too big and I had to make a punch out of a nail. After answering some questions, I had to admit trying to form cases with a FL .240 Wby die before I got their die and of course their punch wouldn't work. It was made for the .25-06 case BEFORE the case was run partially thru a .240 Wby die. Oh well. Now I know and the nail can be retired. Sorta embarrassing... blush Do the belt forming step, THEN the FL .240 Wby die... laugh
[Linked Image]
DF, I'd run a 95 BT into any deer to 500 yds if I had the dope worked out to drop one through vitals. No doubt the heavies hit harder way out.
Yeah, retained kinetic energy can drop off with light bullets at long range.

DF
I'd be inclined to get one of each.
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
I think the 240 weatherby is better than the 25-06 in part because the ballistics are really interesting if using a 24" barrel and using 90+ grain bullets.

This kind of caught my eye, could you or would you expound on this a bit?

Thx

Dober
I've had both, still have the .240 Wby.

I think the 25-06 is actually the better round. It's more versatile and brass is less expensive. Yeah, I know, one can form .240 Wby brass from 25-06 cases. But, that's a lot of trouble.

The 25-06 will shoot light bullets very fast, like the .240 Wby. It will also shoot heavier bullets that, IMHO, are better projectiles for whitetails, etc. It's a better all around caliber.

You need to read the Layne Simpson piece on the Whitetail outfitter who kept detail records of deer kills over a number of years. This man had nearly 500 Whitetail kills in his log and .25's were the champ regarding DRT's and distance traveled after a hit.

And I no longer own a quarter bore... blush

DF

Thx
Dober

Simply, that I can get a 240 Weatherby to shoot a 105 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.532) to about 3350FPS while I can get a 25-06 Rem to shoot a 115 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.466)to shoot about 3150FPS. Ballistics, at least based on above favor the 240 Weatherby. Is that not the case?
I see where you're going, I saw the 90 grain part and didn't go to the heavies for them.

How long of tube are you running and how much of what to get that 105 to 3350? Gotta be plenty of both.

Dober
If you're even considering a quarter bore, forget both candidates and take a hard look at .257 Wby.

Once you go to the dark side, there's no coming back. smile
I see where you're going, I saw the 90 grain part and didn't go to the heavies for them.

How long of tube are you running and how much of what to get that 105 to 3350? Gotta be plenty of both.

Dober
It's not mine, it's a standard Weatherby 26" with CPCartridge handloaded ammo. They claimed 3400 FPS but he actually got about 3338 FPS IIRC.
Uffda, that's plenty darn hot. I'd be willing to bet that primer pockets are opening up pretty well around 2-3 firings.

Thx
Dober

Thx
Dober

Simply, that I can get a 240 Weatherby to shoot a 105 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.532) to about 3350FPS while I can get a 25-06 Rem to shoot a 115 gr. VLD Hunting bullet (BC of 0.466)to shoot about 3150FPS. Ballistics, at least based on above favor the 240 Weatherby. Is that not the case?

John,

What kinda accuracy are you getting with the 105 VLD in your .240? My .240 does good with 90's, but seems to shoot its best groups with 80's and 85's.

The 105 VLD's sound interesting, should give the .240 a more effective long range capacity. What load?

DF

Edited to add, my gun, an HS Precision SPL, has a std. 10 twist and I doubt it would perform at its best with 105's. Doesn't Berger recommends an 8 twist for their 105's?

And, technically a larger bore with the same powder capacity (the .240 is a squeezed down 25-06 and has slightly less capacity) should shoot the same wt. bullet slightly faster. It has to do with greater total force at the same PSI on a larger bullet due to larger surface.
John,

As discussed on another thread, I did get a CH4D belt forming die and made $1.50 .240 Wby brass out of $.50 W/W 25-06 brass. It works pretty well and the formed cases shoot as well as the expensive ones. I'll post those photos again.

DF

[Linked Image]

Flat topped "shell holder" is platform for case being pushed into die. It takes some muscle, a compound leverage press, like this Redding Big Boss and plenty of Imperial Die Wax to make it work. The case is them backed out of the die with the punch and a blow or two from a heavy hammer.
[Linked Image]

Here's the CH4D set up. Funny thing about the nail. I called CH4D and told them their punch was too big and I had to make a punch out of a nail. After answering some questions, I had to admit trying to form cases with a FL .240 Wby die before I got their die and of course their punch wouldn't work. It was made for the .25-06 case BEFORE the case was run partially thru a .240 Wby die. Oh well. Now I know and the nail can be retired. Sorta embarrassing... blush Do the belt forming step, THEN the FL .240 Wby die... laugh
[Linked Image]

Good to see, did you try the wool fat, it considerably reduces the effort required compared to wax
With better b c, copper 6mm bullets...LRX, CEB in the 88gr to 95gr weight, any testing with those or larger differential between the 240 Weatherby and the 25-06 Rem?
Almost an eight year old thread. I am just starting to work with a 6mm AI (not a 240 Wby. but close) and a 25-06. The six is twisted 1-8" and the 25 1-9" and I wish I had gone faster in both 1-7 or 1-7.5 in each. This would open up the window to try some of the 115s in 6mm and the heavier Hammer and Matrix bullets in the 25.

So far it looks like you would have to shoot past 5-600 yards to see much if any difference where the better BC of the 6mm would start to show. But the newer high BC 25 caliber bullets keep it in the running. If I do another I think it would be the 6mm-06 with a 1-7.5 twist. Have not used anything sleeker than the ELD-x 103 6mm and the 115 Berger 25 but it would take a longer range than I have available nearby to see any meaningful difference between the two. On game they both work well at typical ranges.
6.5 06 might be worth looking at.
Originally Posted by whelennut

That would be too practical.
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
John,

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Good to see, did you try the wool fat, it considerably reduces the effort required compared to wax

No, couldn't find any.

I make do with Imperial Die Wax and muscle power.

DF
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Mark,

John

Very well said my friend

Dober

I miss Mark, he was still is a great contributor and a man of both knowledge and experience, but also had a polite and courteous exchange which drew the best out of people in adding a little more to their argument rather that the current format some seem to thrive on here.

To add to my respect for him and to provide additional information for those that really want to know more, here are some of my findings in my rifles, both of which had 26 inch barrels...........

PLEASE NOTE:
My .240 Weatherby was an original full sized 9 lug action with 26 inch Number 2 profiled barrel.
The .240 Weatherby is one of 2 Weatherby chamberings that does NOT have a freebore! (The other being the .416 Weatherby)

My .25/06 is a blue printed Model 70 action fitted with a custom Tobler Match Grade barrel, also 26 inches, Number 5 Profiled SS fluted barrel. It “IS FREE BORED” to accept full usage of the Model 70 Magazine OAL.

WARNING – My loads are my loads, they are reference material to provide interesting reading, comparison if you want it and can be considered MAXIMUM loads in “MY” custom barrel only.

Use your preferred starting loads and not those as quoted.

70gn Nosler Solid Base - 240 Wby
I found 3 powders that worked well being IMR 4831, 760 and AR 2209 which is H 4350 in the US.
57gn IMR 4831 produced 3876fps
53gn 760 yielded 3768fps
55gn of AR 2209 produced 3855

Let me highlight a few facts,
1. AR 2209 when originally produced was a little faster than IMR 4350 which it was designed to emulate. IT was eventually reformulated, grain sign changed and made slower so that the current powder is far lighter granulated that the chunky cut yellow hued original made at that time by Mulwex.
2. Win 760 has always varied a little in burn rate. 30 years ago is was slower than many batches today and I have commonly dropped around 2 grains on my loads from back then to achieve the same velocities. (Even with standard cartridges like the .30/06) Weather that was intentional or just a further example of variation I cannot say, but I was burning more than 30 pounds of powder a year testing loads, reviewing rifles and killing animals, so I noticed.
3. There was no such thing as temperature stability in my background as the continent is called the “Arid Country” for a reason, it is hot and dry with summer lasting 8-10 months by American standards so forget fluctuations relating to hunting under 0 degrees F, there is no such thing there.
With these caveats to digest and consider, work up from lower levels or follow your preferred reloading manuals.

75gn Barnes X - .25/06
Best powders tried included IMR 3031, AR 2206 (Similar to H 4895) AR 2209, H 4350 (Modern) 760 and IMR 4350.
50gn 3031 = 3574fps
50gn 2206 = 3705fps
57gn 2209 = 3831fps
58gn H 4350 = 3659fps (a good demonstration of how H 4350 has been made slower where more powder equals less velocity over earlier batched of AR 2209)
58gn 760 = 3770fps
59gn IMR 4350 = 3807

85gn Nosler Solid Base - 240 Wby
Surplus H 4831, IMR 4320, IMR 4064 and Rel 19
55gn H 4831 = 3330fps
48gn IMR 4320 = 3422fps
47gn IMR 4064 = 4365fps (Both 46gn and 47gn shot the best groups in my Weatherby Mark V 9 Lug.
53gn Rel 19 = 3378fps

85gn Nosler Ballistic Tip - .25/06
H 4350, 760, H 4320 and IMR 4350.
57gn H 4350 = 3562fps (Both this load and 56gn produced the best accuracy in my Model 70 (Custom Tobler Match Grade barrel)
55gn 760 = 3497fps
51gn IMR 4320 = 3402fps ( also a top performer for accuracy with best group @ .287”
57gn IMR 4350 = 3562fps (Another good load which is a compliment to the bullet which shot well)

87gn Hornady SP – 240 Wby
AR 2209, Rel 19, 760, IMR 4831and Rel 22.
53gn 2209 = 3555fps
56gn Rel 19 = 3550fps
51gn 760 = 3578fps
54gn IMR 4831 = 3623fps
57gn Rel 22 = 3603fps

87gn Hornady SP = .25/06
H 414 and H 4350 used
56gn H 414 = 3619fps
56gn H 4350 = 3458fps

90gn Speer SP – 240 Wby
55gn H 4831 (Surplus) = 3305fps. (So good I stopped there)

100gn Nosler Partition, Hornady Interlock, Corelokt and Sierra Flat Base - .240 Wby
IMR 7828, IMR 4831, AR 2209, AR 2213 (H 4831),H 4831 (Current),H 4831 (Original) Rel 19 and Rel 22.
Best loads were……
100gn Hornady Interlock
54gn 7828 = 3257fps
53gn H 4831 = 3370fps ( I settled on 52gn for 3301fps)
48gn AR 2209 = 3154fps
100gn Nosler Partition
50gn AR 2209 = 3323fps (Best load)
52gn AR 2213 = 3304fps (Same as H 4381 current)
100gn Remington Corelokt
55gn H 4831 = 3333fps (So good I stopped there)
100gn Sierra Flat Base
55gn H 4831 = 3327fps
55gn Rel 19 = 3464fps MAX ( my best load used 54gn for 3417fps)
53gn Rel 22 = 3382fps

Now, some of you will wonder why I used less Reloder 22 than the Reloder 19 charges?
The reason is that I use a chronograph to work up loads. This means as long as the velocity is there, the pressure is there also. Watch for this as it can provide protection for you, your rifle and your brass from pushing things too far. Once the known and accepted top velocity is reached, if you are below recorded charges from any source, STOP. You have reached the velocity potential of the cartridge for that bullet and…….your powder batch.

100gn Barnes TTSX, Barnes XBT, Barnes TSX, Barnes TTSX, Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady Interlock, Nosler Partition - .25/06
Lets lump these in together because I achieved very similar performance with same loads suffice to say that powders used included Rel 17 and 22, Retumbo, H 4350 and IMR 4350, H 414 and 760 (Different batches) and WMR.

54gn H 414 = 3490fps
57gn WMR = 3369fps
54gn 760 = 3422fps
54gn IMR 4350 = 3348fps
54gn H 4350 = 3400fps
53gn Rel 17 = 3440fps
55gn Rel 22 = 3490fps

All else is .25/06 Data ( There was nothing heavier available in 6mm during my usage)

115gn Nosler Ballistic Tip – 25/06
53gn 760 = 3215fps
55gn H 4831 = 3097fps (I found this powder considerably slower than previous batches)
52gn IMR 4350 = 3086fps
51gn AR 2209 = 3114fps

115gn Barnes TSX – 25/06
51gn IMR 4350 = 3080fps
54gn AR 2213 = 3048fps
57gn Rel 25 = 3164fps (A very good contender in the .25/06)
57.5gn Retumbo = 3018fps
51gn 760 = 3173fps (Highest velocity I experience with this bullet in the .25/06)

117gn Hornady BT - .25/06
H 414, 760, H 4350, H 4831sc, Rel 17, 22, 26, and Retumbo
51gn H 414 = 3241fps (Very good accuracy in my rifle)
53gn H 4350 = 3220fps
51gn Rel 17 = 3214fps (Good accuracy)
57gn H 4831sc = 3165fps
53gn Rel 22 = 3267fps
57gn Rel 26 = 3189fps (Very Accurate with groups between .341” and .631”)
57gn Retumbo = 2966fps (Miserable and too slow by comparison) (Though the game won’t know)

120gn Speer SP - .25/06
52gn IMR 4350 = 3100fps
52gn AR 2209 = 3169fps

120gn Nosler Partition - .25/06
51gn H 414 = 3175fps
53gn H 4350 = 3167fps
51gn Rel 17 = 3224fps
57gn H 4831sc = 3148fps
57gn Retumbo = 3078fps
53gn Rel 22 = 3150fps (One of the better sub .5 MOA loads)
57gn Rel 26 = 3147fps (Consistent .5 MOA performer where 58 gn was also tried for 3212fps but groups opened up to MOA which is unacceptable in a heavy barreled rifle.

Hope you are entertained by this……
AG great information thanks for your contribution. Only problem I am still unresolved as to which is better, seems like more similarities than differences. In the 25-06 I am getting an honest 3,600 with R16 and 85 grain Lehieghs with a book load. It would be interesting to update the 240 Weatherby with the 103-115 grain bullets but I guess most are not twisted fast enough for anything over 105. Just starting to try R26 in the 6AI but I bet the 240 would do well with it too.
Tejano,
One thing seldom said, is that the .240 Weatherby case is more narrow than the standard '06 case. While the cartridges tend to get lumped together, they have a different volume, shoulder design and neck length.

I did have the opportunity to chronograph a 6mm/06 rifle that frequented the range about the same time as my .240 and it did have a genuine 100+fps advantage over my .240 Wby at that time with the available powders we had back in the 80's.

Because I had exposure to a lot of cartridges, when the gun laws tightened to the point of gun registration in the mid 90's that also included adding serial numbers to barrels and also registering them, I chose the .25/06 because it suited so many Aussie target animals and would cover decent range shooting across the many flat country areas as well as ridge to ridge shooting I did.

So would the .240 Wby, but as stated previously, there were no bullets over 100 grains available to us in 6mm so the '06 did offer an extra 20 grains for larger animals like red stags, large billies and the pigs we commonly hunted. Another point was that Barnes was relatively new when this decision was made and after hunting a couple of states here in the US by that time, I realized the value of the .25/06 for pronghorn and mule deer which I by then a;so had experience with.

Almost 25 years later, the only thing I have changed is to move the 6.5-20 Leupold off the .25/06 and onto a 7mm Remington and fit a standard 3-9 Leupold so the rifle is more suited for whitetail hunting. The 6 power bottom end didn't work for me in the woods.
[quote=Big_Redhead]I never heard of such a thing, forming belted cases from non-belted. Sounds hokey to me.

You obviously have not read any of Acley's writing's. Cheers NC
Thanks again AussieGunwriter. The only thing that has kept me from getting a 240 was the Mk V seemed overly robust for the little 240 and too heavy. Now that light weight LH rifles are an option it's appeal has grown but if I ever go up from the 6AI which is unlikely it will probably be a 6-06.
I’ve been testing loads in 2 different 6-06’s this week. The rifle I did most of the testing with shot these two loads the best. These rifles both have 27” 1-14 twist barrels. I got a deal on the slow twist barrels(thats a whole nother story) I was hoping to get 85 partitions shooting out of these so I could use them for deer if I wanted. Anyway these two loads were a solid 1/2”. I had to use WLRM primers with the H414 or I would get hangfires at low temperature.

85 grain partition with 55 grains of H4831 (3450 fps)

70 grain ballistic tip with 53 grains of H414 (3750 fps)

The other rifle I haven’t shot as much yet, but it shoots H380 and 70g varmegeddons.
Originally Posted by Tejano
Thanks again AussieGunwriter. The only thing that has kept me from getting a 240 was the Mk V seemed overly robust for the little 240 and too heavy. Now that light weight LH rifles are an option it's appeal has grown but if I ever go up from the 6AI which is unlikely it will probably be a 6-06.

Also, current .240's are no longer chambered in the 9 lug Mark V. I believe they are only available in the smaller 6 lug Mk V and Vanguard.
AussieGunwtiter, typo? 47gn IMR 4064 = 4365fps (Both 46gn and 47gn shot the best groups in my Weatherby Mark V 9 Lug.
KF,

Yep, typo.......no warranty expressed or implied.
Mine is aRem 700 in 6mm-284. Reloading data is pretty much interchangeable with 240 Wea,

I also am on my second 25-06.

There is really not a nickle's worth of difference between the two cartridges, unless you are hunting elk. Then If I had no other choices, I would choose the 120 gr bullet from the 25-06.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Mine is aRem 700 in 6mm-284. Reloading data is pretty much interchangeable with 240 Wea,

I also am on my second 25-06.

There is really not a nickle's worth of difference between the two cartridges, unless you are hunting elk. Then If I had no other choices, I would choose the 120 gr bullet from the 25-06.

I think that is the sensible cut off point. The OP mentioned a list of game up to deer and pronghorn, which are taken by the plain old .243 Winchester every year.

The newest shining light in 100grains is the Barnes TTSX which would likely negate the need for heavier bullets in .257 caliber and make the 120's moot. Accuracy for same is always spoken of so maybe there isn't a real need for heavier unless you revert to Dober and I discussing that "sometimes", both of us preferred a lead core bullet.
Go with a 6.5-06
I have used both, (plus a 6mm/284) and I would say 25-06. Now, the 240W is certainly a 'cutie" and a wicked killer too. I have a church member who uses two rifles for the past 40+ years; a Mark V 240W and a 70's model 1895 (straight stock) Marlin 45-70 (saddle gun). He uses nothing but the Nosler 95 partition and the Hornady 350RN in each, respectively. He and one of his sons have killed many mule deer and elk, some of those elk were really big bulls! He has killed more with the 240w than the 45-70. He also killed a humongous mule deer buck (5x5) at almost 500yds a couple years ago. Myself, I feel the 25-06 is more versatile. I also used the 257W and while it is a great round, I feel the 25-06 is just as good.
Thanks for this as I am fighting the urge for both a 240 and a 257 Weatherby which I currently don't have in the stable. The 25-06 is perfection for deer.
Originally Posted by northcountry
[quote=Big_Redhead]I never heard of such a thing, forming belted cases from non-belted. Sounds hokey to me.

You obviously have not read any of Acley's writing's. Cheers NC

It's not for the faint of heart, takes some effort.

You gotta be a hard core Loony... blush

Reportedly Roy Weatherby formed early .240 brass just that way. Of course, his new round had to have the signature belt to be a Wby...

If I was building one from scratch, I'd go 6-06, maybe now, a 6 PRC, not a .240 Wby. I traded for mine.

The 6 CM shooters seem to like that one. Those rounds I mention above are of the same or very similar powder capacity with the .240.

I wish my .240 was faster than 10 twist. If I built a big 6, it would be 7 or 8 twist. Mine won't shoot 105's, etc. Tops out with 100 gr. NPTs which it loves.

DF
Originally Posted by whelennut

That would be too practical.

And a 270 would be even more so smile

I would take a look at the 6 CM if wanting to spin 105s. My longest deer kill was an Amax at 2850 via 6BR...400 yds. You can gain a little more distance with a CM.

If you can accept shorter barrel life - Nothing wrong with a 240. I'd run 90-95s.

If you need more reach, you might want to launch more lead.
Tejano & Brooksrange: I actually have owned, shot, used and Hunted with both cartridges for many years now - my opinion - it's a tie!
Both are outstanding cartridges on out to 500 yards or a tad further.
Many years ago I had the world class riflesmith (and rifleman - he won the Wimbledon Cup back a ways!) Jim Cloward build me a heavy, long (27"!) barreled custom 240 Weatherby on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action.
It has been a dream Rifle since day one!
I remember my friends "cautioning" me about the inability of the 240 Weatherby to attain "good accuracy" do to the "rounded shoulder" of the 240 Weatherby cartridge!
My friends were wrong - REALLY wrong.
My Hart barreled 240 Weatherby is extremely accurate - every bit as accurate as my custom 6m/m Remington Ackley Improved or my Remington 40-X's in 243 Winchester and 6m/m Remington.
I have several Varmint weight Rifles in 25/06 Remington and one 25/06 Remington sporter weight Rifle - wonderfully is how I would describe their performance.
Wish I could "settle" your conflict about the 240 Weatherby vs.the 25/06 Remington - declaring one to be better than the other would be the riflery equivalent of blasphemy, IMO.
My 240 Weatherby brass has good case life and I have not been in a bind to find enough to support my needs.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
.240 HS Precision when I got it. Didn't like the HS stock at 42 oz.

Dropped it in a 26 oz Hunter's Edge. Got it unpainted, did my glass work, even filled in the bolt handle slot, sent it back to McM for paint, brown with black specks. HS even makes their own trigger, an improved 700 set up. The trigger housing has windows so you can see the sear, etc. Pretty neat.

It is now a MUCH better handling rifle. HS makes their own in house barrels, cut rifling like Brux and Krieger, just about as accurate. That's why I'm stuck with 10 twist. Barrel too good to swap out for 7 or 8 twist. Besides, it shoots 100 NPTs half MOA at 400 yds. Hard to beat in a hunting weight rifle. Just won't shoot 105's.

Current scope is a VX-6 2-12x42.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice - had surprising accuracy using Rem 7 and 700s, using 105s. 9t. Still felt better about the 95 BT. My first kill with a 243 long ago used a 100 PT. Since used many others in 243 and 6BR, from 70 TNTs to 105 AMAX, the 95 BT is my fave of all for near and far. You are getting great results no doubt - no need to change.
This is one rifle that prefers the 100 gr. Partition over all others. When I find a rifle that loves NPT's, I'm pleased. Doesn't happen every time, or even that often...

But, when it does... cool

It's also amazing how much better the gun handles with the 26 oz Edge vs. the 42 oz HS stock.

The Hunters Edge has much better lines, is slimmer and the balance is forward, less weight in the stock.

It went from a gun that I didn't like that much to one I really like.

SPL reportedly stands for "Sporter Light". With that heavy HS stock, it was anything but light. Now, it is.

DF
Dirtfarmer: Very nice setup I could be very pleased with that if the bolt weren't on the wrong side. I don't think it is much of a handicap to have the 1-10 twist as most of the good hunting bullets are in the 85 to 100 grain range. The main diet of most of my 243s and 6mms is the 95 grain Nosler both Partition and Ballistic tips.

I believe that Roy Weatherny at least initially lathe turned the belts for the prototypes of both the 240 and 378 (from 30-06 and 416 Rigby respectively). One story has it that he took the prototype 378 to Africa with something like only 6-8 cases due to how tedious it was to turn them. Supposedly he shot an elephant with the 378 that dropped at the shot, which was a good thing as the next case jammed. I think I would have done a little more testing before trying that.

Re-sizing would be much less of an effort if the belt was mostly formed on the lathe with the reduction of the thicker part of the webb as well. This die looks interesting sort of a reverse Lee Collet die but it is only made in the H&H size. http://www.larrywillis.com/ A good machinist could make one for the 240 but could be costly.
I ran a 240 for several years, liked it, killed a lot of critters with it. If I had to pic one of the 2 I’d go 06’ and run 80-85s for a straight up deer killer
Dirtfarmer: Very nice setup I could be very pleased with that if the bolt weren't on the wrong side. I don't think it is much of a handicap to have the 1-10 twist as most of the good hunting bullets are in the 85 to 100 grain range. The main diet of most of my 243s and 6mms is the 95 grain Nosler both Partition and Ballistic tips.

I believe that Roy Weatherny at least initially lathe turned the belts for the prototypes of both the 240 and 378 (from 30-06 and 416 Rigby respectively). One story has it that he took the prototype 378 to Africa with something like only 6-8 cases due to how tedious it was to turn them. Supposedly he shot an elephant with the 378 that dropped at the shot, which was a good thing as the next case jammed. I think I would have done a little more testing before trying that.

Re-sizing would be much less of an effort if the belt was mostly formed on the lathe with the reduction of the thicker part of the webb as well. This die looks interesting sort of a reverse Lee Collet die but it is only made in the H&H size. http://www.larrywillis.com/ A good machinist could make one for the 240 but could be costly.

Larry's die is good for belted magnum cases. I have one that I use when it gets hard to close the bolt. That doesn't seem to be a problem with all belted mag cases, just some.

IMO, that type die isn't strong enough to do the case sizing the CH4D set up does. That process takes a LOT of elbow grease and actually leaves a brass ring when excess brass is extruded in the process. I pull that ring off the case. A FL .240 die won't do that, either. I tried it.

So, when I used the CH4D sizer, the punch they supplied to drive the case out of the die wouldn't fit. I had to use a large nail. Their punch was made to enter a 25-06 neck, not one already sized to .240... And, I had already unsuccessfully tried to form the 25-06 case in the .240 FL die.

It was a learning curve.

DF
These days, I am liking the 270 win and 300 Win Mag for deer and Pronghorn. I might be tempted on the 25-06 if I was regularly hunting coyotes at longer range.
the 25-06 will cover all those bases. I knock deer in the dirt all the time with my 22-243AI with 80 gr Amax bullets... which is more than enough for pronghorn and coyotes as well. Bigger bullets are NOT always the answer. That's my two cents...LOL....
Originally Posted by 6mm
Go 6mm Remington and you won't go anyplace else looking for the perfect deer, antelope, coyote gun!

While I truly believe I could make a shoulder die for the .240 WBY.....just using the 6 mm Rem makes way too much sense to me
A 257 Weatherby would be what I would look at, lots of performance, little recoil.
Good to know this thread still gets responses after 8 years, even though the original poster hasn't even logged on in 2-1/2....
The OP, eight years ago, was building a rifle.
Considering cost of dies, brass, availability...

Between the two 25-06.
Something a little "more", something?
25-06AI.
more?
25 SAUM

OR 6MM-06
Nothing like a long conversation!
My vote is for the 25-06....purely for practical reasons.

Then again if I were a true loony...definitely 240W-Bee smile
I’ve owned several 257 wby’s. And a couple of 25-06. Along with one 6-284 and one 25-284. My favorite was the 6-284.
Hasbeen.
25-06 because I have one.
What is the longest running thread? Eight years is a pretty good stint. I'm just glad I didn't buy/build all of the recommendations. Have a 25-06 and a 6mm AI and may add the 25 Roy and I will be good for at least another 8 years, I hope.
© 24hourcampfire