Home
It's been a long time since I've bought primers, but I'm to the point where I need to start thinking about it. As the sole bread winner in a house with young children price is always a concern. I was browsing a little and found Wolf primers from Russia at a much lower price than the domestic brands I usually use. How do these primers rate for quality and consistency?

I'll add that most of my shooting is informal plinking, but I do like to achieve decent accuracy with my centerfire rifles. Would my primer pennies be better spent elsewhere or are the Wolf brand primers the equal to the standard versions made by CCI, Winchester, Federal and Remington?

Thanks.
Buy American, you're (a lot) less likely to be disappointed.
Yep and since you're in MI, check out Jay's Sporting Goods in either Gaylord or Clare. When you buy 1000 they give you 20% off.
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Yep and since you're in MI, check out Jay's Sporting Goods in either Gaylord or Clare. When you buy 1000 they give you 20% off.

Thanks, I didn't know about the discount!

I was just in the Gaylord Jay's on Sunday and their prices were $2 higher per hundred on CCI primers than catalog places like Natchez. I guess with the 20% discount that difference would wash out and I'd not be paying hazmat fees.

BTW, Sunday's visit to Jays included letting my 5 1/2 year old twins handle guns for the first time. They each picked out a Crickett .22 they took a liking to. Unfortunately, lack of $$ and a cautious Momma kept us from bring the Cricketts home. Still, it was fun and one of the countermen even complimented me on the safe way my children were handling the guns. smile
There was a benchrest record set not long ago using Wolf primers.

They were all I could find during The Great Primer Shortage of '09, and after testing the Small Rifle primers, found them to be very consistent. I've gone entirely to them in any small primer pocketed rifle case.
I've loaded thousands of rounds of shotgun ammo using Wolf.
My standard primer is Fiocchi, could not tell any difference.
When primers were short supply I used them in my .30X47 BR rifle and won matches......so would say they are ok. The ones that I used seem to be slighly larger diameter than Fed or CCI so they can be used where primer pockets are a bit loose. smile

Would also add that the cup seems harder and they tend not to show cratering as much as Federal if you push things a bit.

Lefty C
Thanks for the response and info, guys. I appreciate it!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and two cold bore shots at 600.
The POI is off a tad.But thats my fault.
[Linked Image]
All shot with Wolf primers.
... ie.... Tula and Wolf are the same same.

dave
Originally Posted by dave7mm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
and two cold bore shots at 600.
The POI is off a tad.But thats my fault.
[Linked Image]
All shot with Wolf primers.
... ie.... Tula and Wolf are the same same.

dave

So I can put you down for a "Yes" vote, right? wink
Originally Posted by bruinruin
So I can put you down for a "Yes" vote, right? wink

Cant see a reason why not.
Little reading for you.
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/

dave
Stick with US primers
Naw.
Com block rules.
dave
I have 1K of them but yet to load any of them. The story from my Pdoggin budds say they seem more consistant than the winchesters and CCIs. We flat will NOT shoot remington primers..... ever
I have used Wolf primer all the the time since the shortage. I can not tell a differents compared to Winchester primers I have used for many years before 2009. I have shot many MOA groups with wolf primers without 1 failure.
Thanks again to all who have offered input.

If I go with the Wolf primers it'll probably just be for my plinking and blasting ammo, not for accuracy loads in my rifles, though they seem to work well for that.
I have it on good authority that High Power match shooters think Wolf primers are superior to any American primers for accuracy. I bought a bunch but am shooting up the miscellaneous primers I bought during the shortage before trying them.
I use Wolf primers in all my .223 loads, and in any case that calls for small rifle primers.
They work just fine.
personally ID never even heard of wolf brand primers before this thread so I did a bit of quick research, and I don,t see where theres any real price advantage, I usually buy large mag rifle primers in 5000 lots, and as you can see from the links theres no reason to swap from the fed 215m Ive used for decades, the current price of all major brands seems to be in the $110-$130 range for 5000 primers, and IM sure not changing known working combos that have worked for decades to save $20 on a year-to-18 month supply of primers, and I bet I shoot far more frequently than many guys on this site!

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000200015

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00129GM215M

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/s..._7c3470_a_7c749004869_d_749004541_d_5676

http://www.luckygunner.com/large-pistol-primers-wolf-5000
Hmm, Powder valley has them between $76 and $100 per 5,000.....

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Even Grafs will deliver them for $110 (sans hazmat charge). FWIW, Dutch.
It's more like $88/5k for Wolf versus, going by the price you picked out for Fed GM215M, $163/5k or $142 for CCI.

The difference between Wolf small rifle primers and any other brand of match small rifle primer is even greater. I compare Wolf to match primers because the Wolf are match grade.

I shoot 2-5,000 rounds a year. I'll take the savings!

Widener's Wolf Primers

So, Wolf and Tula are exactly the same?
There is a video of an amu shooter popping some wolf primered rounds in his ar. Click...boom. Click...boom. I wouldn't trust them. Not sure the batch number but they are out there.
Where are CCI made?
also all wolf ammo is loaded with wolf Primers. grin
I switched from CCI's to Wolfs just to try out, and so far I love them. I'm planning to switch large rifle primers too when I run out. They are half the price, and seem to perform just as well or better. My accuracy is the same, and I've never had a misfire.
Originally Posted by 260madman
There is a video of an amu shooter popping some wolf primered rounds in his ar. Click...boom. Click...boom. I wouldn't trust them. Not sure the batch number but they are out there.

That is more a design flaw in the AR, not a flaw in the primers. AR's have a floating firing pin that flies forward when the bolt carrier stops. That is why it is recommended you use primers with harder cups when reloading for AR's.
I've heard good and bad about Wolf primers, but I'm going to stick to the ones made by the folks in Idaho and other American made primers. I don't always have a choice to buy American, but when I perceive (correctly or not) a quality advantage and the price difference is one I can bear, I'll pass over the imported stuff. Chuckle...I even prefer bourbon to scotch, though neither is too bad!
Originally Posted by Hubert
Where are CCI made?
also all wolf ammo is loaded with wolf Primers. grin

yes, berdan primers!!
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by 260madman

That is more a design flaw in the AR, not a flaw in the primers. AR's have a floating firing pin that flies forward when the bolt carrier stops. That is why it is recommended you use primers with harder cups when reloading for AR's.

There is nothing harder than a wolf cup.

Originally Posted by djs
Stick with US primers

And get held up for twice the price with no more quality?
© 24hourcampfire