Home
For me:

75% of my deer were killed w/4x and 6x fixed scopes.

There were a few killed w/open sights, 2x pistol scope, and 2.5x rifle. Also a few with fixed/variable on 10x, 2 kills w/vari on 14x and 2 using 24x.

My longest shot was 400 yds, 6BR, 6-24x 4200 w/mil dots...they made it a chip shot having practiced at the range.
Since I started 59 years ago most of my kills were with a 4X. Not because I wanted it but it's all we had. My first was with a 6X for the same reason.

When variables came out I got them. They are much more enjoyable and useful to me.

My last was with a 2.5-8 turned to 8X. I upgraded that recently to a 3-9.
Anywhere from 1.5-9 for me.

Couldn't quantify the exact numbers at each setting.
In the past ten years, mostly with a 6x Leupold.

Prior to that I used more variable power scopes. Don't remember using more than 6x to shoot game though, mostly had them dialed down pretty low.

Have also shot some deer, just using sights.
On my 3-9's when I hit the woods I am usually set on 5, why I don't know.

KC
Weaver K2.5 mostly...when I used glass. Only two exceptions, one a Burris 1.75X as I recall, a shotgun scope. The other a Leupold 1.75x6 VX3 as I recall. Rarely used the Leupold at more than minimum magnification.

Most rifle mayhem done with aperture sights or more recently a red dot.
Since I have 2-7x scopes mounted on many of my medium game rifles, they get the nod most often.

Jeff
The majority of mine have been 6X OR 8X.

Very few at 4X.

Some at 12X.

Up to 300 yds 6 or 8X is plenty to make a good shot.

From 300 out, I frequenty power up to see details of rack and don't bother turning down the ring.

I have 3 or 4 scopes that will group well enough FROM 4---12X I don't have to worry about what setting they're on.
For probably 25 years all I ever used was a Leupold Vari X 2x7. Plenty of deer were crushed via the intersection of those two wires.

Probably 10 years ago I started switching to 2.5x8 and for the last 5 or so almost all I buy are 3.5x10

All Leupold brand.
Lots of variable power scopes, with virtually every animal killed with the scope set on 6x. When I didn't have a variable power scope on the rifle, it wore a fixed 6x scope.
A 3-10 variable mostly.
I have several variables but they are usually set at their lowest power. I will say I don't believe I have ever used one set over 4x while hunting big game.
Without doing a proper tally, I'm going to estimate 80% of my big game kills have been with a fixed 4x scope. That percentage will likely decline over time as my primary deer rifle is no longer equiped with a fixed 4x and probably won't be again. My primary elk rifle on the other hand, will probably wear a fixed 4x for a long, long time. I kill more elk than deer, at least so far.

Ah hell, let's do the tally. I've got an hour left at work, and it's a slooow day.

1st deer: irons

2nd deer: 3-9x variable (I think)

3rd deer: 4x

4th deer: arrow

5th deer: 4x

6th deer: 4x

7th deer: 4-12x

1st elk: irons

2nd elk: 3-9x variable

3rd elk: 4x

4th elk: 4-12x variable

5th elk: 4x

6th elk: 4x

7th elk: 4x

8th elk: 4x

9th elk: 4-12x variable

10th elk: 4x

11th elk: 4x

12th elk: 4x

11/18 animals killed with a fixed 4x, I didn't count the deer I killed with my bow. That's 61% with a fixed 4x which is lower than I expected, I forgot that 2 of my elk were killed with other people's rifles and I also forgot I packed the 300 Savage for a few years that wore irons and then a variable 3-9x.
Generally 3-9 variables set at 5 for close shots and turned up to 9 for longer shots. However, when I know I'll be taking longer shots I grab the 4.5-14x40's and crank them up. This applies to last years buck that was taken at a lasered 600 yards....
3x9 Leupold ultralight set either on 3 or 9. No middle setting. This includes lots of jackrabbits. About 250-300 big game.

Wish there was a 3 or 10 variable. Notice OR !
I consider the Leupold 2.5-8x36 series the perfect hunting scope for the way I hunt and most of my big game rifles wear them. I'd guess the animals have been pretty evenly across that range.
I've always used 3-9's, 2.5-8's and 2-7's. If I've ever taken a shot at game at anything other than the lowest power I cannot recall doing it.

I've used all sorts of scopes to take big game, running from a few fixed 2-1/2x's to one 4.5-14x. The variables were generally set on relatively low magnification (the 4.5-14x was set on 6x), but not always. Have shot a few animals with variables set on their top end, but that was never more than 9x or maybe 10x.

Have killed a bunch of big game with fixed scopes from 2.5x to 10x, but most have been 4x or 6x. In fact I'm sure I've taken more game with fixed scopes than variables.

Last year I took 11 big game animals with the following scopes:

4 feral pigs--2.5-10x Zeiss set on 6x. The biggest was a trophy boar shot running twice, once at maybe 80 yards and once at 10 yards.

zebra, wildebeest, hartebeest, impala--All with a fixed 4x at ranges up to about 200 yards.

Cape buffalo--A fixed 3x at 30-35 yards.

Doe pronghorn--A fixed 6x at 175 yards.

Doe whitetail--A fixed 4x at 100 yards.

Buck whitetail--2-7x variable set on 7x, 30 yards.

I also shot another doe whitetail with an aperture sight and front bead at 50 yards. Usually I kill at least one animal each year with irons, and sometimes several more.

2x7, 1.75x6' & 2.5x8s for the vast majority. All game has been taken at reasonable range and have not needed higher power.

Anywhere from 2 power to 25
Last two animals, a camel at 133yds, 2-7x Viper set on 4x, the other, another camel at 283yds scope set on 7x this time.

I walk with my variables set on 2.5-4x depending on the scope, pretty rare for me to wind them up, but if the opportunity presents I'll do it.
For 20 years I used a 2-7 Redfield. I killed more animals at 5 power than any other, because that was where one quick twist of the power ring put it as I mounted the rifle. A close second would be animals killed at 2 power, and the rest were killed with max 7 power when I had plenty of time.

In recent years my main big game rifle is a 3-9 Leupold, with about the same ratio of shots at mid, low and max power. For my predator calling rifle I've gone back from a 3.5-10 to a 2-7, and shoot nearly everything at 2 power. (The point of calling is to bring them to me, so let them come up close!) laugh

The overwhwelming vast mahority of my big game has been shot with 1.5-5x Leupy....
For 20+ years I used an old Weaver-V7. Mostly set on 2x and could not even begin to count the number of deer and elk I killed with one. I have two and one has been on a Model 88,308 a long time the other on a 7mag for a few short years and then an .06 Recently someone gave me a Leupold 2.5-8 and that is what I use,mostly set on 4X.
My antelope rifle has always had a Leupold 6x on it fixed.
2.5-10-40mm and 3-9-40mm loopy's.Shoot everything on 4 works fine.Should just buy fixed powers.They're usually tougher.
I always had a hankering for that scope Ingwe way back, but $$ short in college, I settled for a 1.75-5x Tasco, ok in decent light but on an overcast day, it fell short optically.

I bet the Leupolds are fine in that department, brightness and resolution.

For the record, I still have a few variables, right now 3200 3-10x40 Elite and 4200 3-9x40, can't tell much diff between the 2. The first is a 'short action compact' model. BOTH have very good eye relief, an improvement over the old 3000/3200 3-9s.

Sure wish Bushnell Elite and Zeiss Conquest came in a fixed 6x, love their glass.

JB, I'd be curious if you prefer the old M8 3x for it's larger FOV, or the newer FxII for 3.4x zoom? AND if you like a 3.4x over the FxII 4x33, or is the answer variable - depending on rifle/game hunted?

Thanks all for great posts.
Now that my eyes are older...the bigger 3x9 scopes are getting the usage, but Im not shooting nearly as much big game as I did back in the day, with little scopes and young eyes... frown

But heres a pic of three big game guns...kinda lets you know my preference ( at least a few years back... whistle )

Top to Bottom .30-06, 7x57, .22-250

[Linked Image]
Anywhere betwixt none and 10x
4x lupy from 72' thru 96', then 3-9x40 to present.
3-9X40s because they are the best value.
Most of my scopes have been Leupold VXII 2X7. I have used varilable scopes whose powers ranged form from 1.5X to 10X, but most have been combinations on the lower end like 1.5X5 or 2X7.
Variable or straight I've shot the majority of mine at 6x. Magnum Man
Ingwe, very nice rifle sir, trust they balance PERFECT smile
I only hunt deer. All have been taken with 6x scopes or variables set @ 6x.

Only exception was one I took with a 1.5x Burris that was mounted on a .416 Rigby #1 when I bought it. I sighted the rifle in and worked up loads. Many folks asked me what I was going to do with the rifle... I told them: "Hunt deer!" So for a laugh, I carried it out the 1st day of season. Unfortunately for a nice meat buck, it's course of travel passed within about 80 yds of my stand. Well, I took a sight for a double lung shot and squeezed it off. smile Good thing one was enough, because I could no longer see because of blood running in my eye. shocked blush I swore then and there I would never shoot a kicker again with anything BUT a 1.5x5 Leupold! A decision I've never has cause to regret!

BTW: Both the Rigby and that #%&@ Burris scope and I have parted company. wink

GH

P.S: It's ok to laugh is you want... grin
Of the guns I use to shoot big game with, there are one 3-9X, three 2.5-8X, one 2-7X, one 1.75-6X, and one 4X. Can't recall what they were all set on, but pretty sure its 9X or less.
A long time ago Browning sold a fixed 5x which was made for them by Redfield when it was number one and Leupold was second or third. I always wanted one.

The old Leupold 4x and 6x had lots more fov than the current scopes. The old 6 had nearly as much as today's 4. I would gladly swap a smaller " eye box" for more fov. The Leupolds have more eye relief than needed at the expense of fov.

Will stick with 3x9.
65BR,

Have hunted with both the older 3x Leupolds and two of the new ones, and don't really care about the field of view. In my experience FOV is one of the most overrated aspets of scopes--or optics in general. Have killed plenty of animals with 6x from 10 to 50 yards, including some runners. But then I shoot a lot with 6x scopes.

My wife shoots most of her big game with scopes from 8x to 10x, and has no trouble at 40-50 yards.
Rick,

Weaver's 4.75x is a fine scope too.

See my above post for my opinion of FOV.
As a genneral comment, my longest kill with iron sights was 350 yards on a caribou, using a Lyman 48 and the factory front bead on a pre-'64 Model 70 .270. Consequently I tend to laugh a little when people suggest 4x to 6x scopes should work for 300-400 yard shooting.
4X mostly...or variable set at 4X.Others with 2.5X,3X,and 6X(not many).

I cranked a variable to 8X once to kill a buck;and have turned other variables down below 4X in heavy cover, even though it was more for the security blanket affect than out of necessity.

I like 3x,4x and 6x.
I still occasionally hunt the original 3x Leupy I've had for years, that said, most of my big game kills have been split between it and the 1.5x5 Leupy. With aging eyes I've been going up to the 2.5x8 and 3x9 variables over the last several years.
Started out with a 4x for around a decade then I got smart and got a 3-9x, They've all been relatively cheap glass, bushnell and BSA and such.

MM
John,
Something just looks wrong to me with less than 30 feet on the low end. Once I went on a jackrabbit hunt and shot a bunch out to over 225 and then noticed that I had left the power at 3x. It had about 38'. More fov is even better. The 3x was plenty on thebrabbits. I would use a 4x if it still had 30' of view. Will stay with the 3x9 Ultralight.
Most of my guns wear 2-10, 3-9 etc. I would say the last 10 deer in Montana were on 5-6 x. Kind of makes me think I could use 6x fixed powers.......always think I'm going to need the lower end for woods or up close shots but it rarely works out that way.
RinB, I suppose hunting Jackalopes one could use more FOV, some perhaps even irons. Did not know that the FOV changed in the 6x's but interesting.

JB, read long ago about that 'bou' you shot w/Lyman. Great shot. No doubt as a teen I picked off birds using OEM irons at 100 yds....somehow we tend to shoot surprisingly well when we practice alot w/what is in hand when a shot presents. 22s and air rifles allow alot of that, and I have made some amazing shots, some on the wing, or run, both handgun, and rifle, but won't go into details.

Since you and Bob use the 3s and 4s, is there any criteria you go by to choose between them, I know the 3 is btr on an LA than the 4x33. So it looks like if you're not using it for DG and/or an LA rifle, you might grab a 4x just as quick, if not 6x?

Good info. Goodshot - like JB I too have killed up close, one a large WT buck at 15 paces, 6x Leupold. Centered chest/shoulder in scope and squeezed. Worked great. It was at Dawn thirty wink

So it was LOW Light, but suffice to say a 6x never cost me an animal for too small an FOV, let alone too many wobbles causing either overconfidence hurrying the trigger, or not getting a sight pic.
65 I just stuck a 3X on my 375H&H.

Other criteria is to own enough rifles that I can have a 3X on one,4X on a couple more,a 6X on another,and a variable on another. Then I grab whichever one seems most suitable at the time.

This avoids tough decisions. grin

There are some mounting systems that work well with a 4x33,Talley Lightweights among them.
Always doubt my eyesight. Have it sat on 9. Low light, a little buck fever, I connect. Buddy asks "How far?" About 130yds. We start walking and he says "I already counted 150 paces and we ain't there yet." He counted about 210 - a lowly .270 too.
Originally Posted by poboy
.... a lowly .270 too.

poboy: It couldn't happen! shocked smile
In the past 15 years or so, I've used the 1.5-5, 1.75-6 and 2.5-8, 3.5-10 and 4.5-14 Leupolds, as well as Swarovski's in 2.5-10 and 3.5-18 on my big game rifles. When I'm walk/stalking, I usually keep my scope on 5X or so. But when it comes time to shoot, unless I'm taking a quick shot at a running animal or following something wounded, I usually crank it up as high as it will go unless the shot's under 100 yards. I guess I always figured the better I can see my target the more likely I am to make that first shot count.
Regardless of the scope magnification, I have killed several thousand animals at around 5-6 power and perhaps less than a hundred or so at max if varmintsare excluded.
I am however, a sucker for variables.
8-32 on one 7 stw that is a bean field rifle.

I use a 3-10 Leupold on my wood's rifle.

In Kansas large bucks fight and break off tines, I need to see busted up racks.
4x in the beginning.

3-9x set someplace in the middle, never on 9. Been decades though since I've had one.

6x36 and 6x42

2.5-8 set on 3 or 4 for the most part. Once on 8 to make sure it had brow tines. It's getting sold.

3x: Only once but I like it.

Just ordered another 6x42. Lost my like for them and then got it back.

If I had to pick it would be a 1.5-5x20 with a fat reticle. In the woods usually hunt with it around 2 or 3. Funny thing is if things are not happening quick, I spin it up to 5 without even thinking about it. I must turn it up before the safety goes off. When its over and I look at the scope it will be on 5 or close to it and I can't remember turning it up. crazy

Can't ever remember doing the same with the 2.5-8. Which is even more crazy.
Probably 75% have been with a fixed 4x or 6x scope.

The rest have been with variables, mainly 2-7's and 3.5-10's. Occasionally I'll crank a variable up to thread a needle, but it seems the 2-7's look best to my eye with the power around 4....the 3.5-10's seem best with the power around 6...not that they are bad on other powers, but they seem to have a sweet spot there (to my eyes).
3x9, almost always set on 9. Where I hunt you have to be darn sure there's atleast three points on one side. Lower the setting after sundown to 6.
9x probably the highest, most of mine used to be 3x9 and I generally would crank em up if the situation allowed.
3X9 or 4X12 on all my big game rifles. 2X7 on the slug guns.
Aussie, tell us more about your scope choices given your experience, like to know more. Thanks.

Seems many find they set their vari scope in the middle of the power band, been told that this is indeed a 'best view' for many variables.

Perhaps JB or someone might explain. Good comments. Battue is that an FX 3x?
Yes, the new Fx 3x.
I've killed more while looking through Weaver K-2.5's from both El Paso and Japan than any other scope. I think I've probably killed even more with iron sights than the K-2.5's but it's a close call.
I hunt with the Older Redfield 4X fixed and 2X7 variable scopes; bright, clear image.
Until last year, I'd never killed a big game critter with the scope set on anything higher than 6X (if available). Last year in WY hunting pronghorns, I set the scope at 10X as an experiment. I came home with 3 pronghorns, one taken at 256yds and the other two at 120yds or less. I could easily see myself with a fixed 10X on an open country rifle and a fixed 6X for other places/general purpose big game hunting.
I shoot a lot of 3-9 Leupolds and hunt open country. I am not sure if they even come off of 9.

3.5-10's and 4-12 all pretty much stuck on the highest power too.
Here in open country, up to 250 yards or so is reasonable, fixed 4x or 4-12x on a deer/varmint setup. After reading John Barseness the variable is left on 6x unless I forget the binocs and need to check headgear. He's right.
For the past 12 years I have used a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 scope.

Seems to work OK. I leave it set at 12X.

All of my hunting is in Wyo.

6X is enough, and if I had to do it over again I'd get 1.5-6x42. Live and learn................. smirk
Guess I'll be the one to skew the stats. I have 20/20 vision, heavily corrected, so maybe this plays a role. My longest shot is about 115-ish yards max, on whitetails only. Have almost exclusively hunted in shotgun or muzzleloader only areas. Longest available shot might be 175 yards.

I primarily stand hunt, but have successfully killed 3, that I can think of, still hunting. I used to carry my variable cranked all the way down, but in the last half a dozen years, realized I can "throw the gun to my shoulder" and instantly find a deer at 6X at close range, so now leave the X's a little off the very bottom.

Started with a Weaver K2.5X. Killed at least one, possibly two.

Wanted more power and variability, so I went to a Burris 1.5-6X. Killed the next half a dozen, all on 6X, except one at 1.5x.

Got a Leupold 3-9X and killed another half a dozen on 9X.

Had a Tasco Titan 4.5-18X and killed several more, on 18X- before the scope went kaput.

Nowadays, I use either a Leupold 4-12X or 4.5-14X and have killed several, several more, all on either 12X or 14X.

Thinking about it, I might put my Bushnell 4200 8-32X on this year. wink grin

4x (Weaver K4) but the 2x7 is creeping up on it.
To answer the survey -

2,5x, 3x, 4x, 4,75x in that order.

For biggame hunting it is my experience that magnification is the most overrated feature; twilight performance a close second and FOV the most misunderstood of all.

In the woods 2.5x
In the field 8x
for big game...
CMG +1

bhemry, a new scope is coming out, it's called the 'Hubble' wink
Because my main hunt each year is for black bear over bait (I rarely hunt whitetails anymore), and moose when possible, I prefer variables. Though, in recent years I've enjoyed a couple of fixed 4X.

This year I'm using my 9.3 X 62 with a 2-7X by 35mm Burris Fullfield II. The distance from stand to bait is 135 yds (ranged). Hunt begins Sept 1st. A mature boar is attending this bait, so I don't expect to see him early. Probably just about quitting time, if at all. He comes from a very dense woods and underbrush. My scope will be cranked to 6 or 7X.

On the other hand, if I opt for my Ruger No.1 in .45-70, it's a 350gr Hornady at 2270 fps, sighted appropriately. It carries a 2-7 by 32mm Nikon (shotgun scope), which appears brighter to me than the Burris though it's only a 32mm vs a 35mm. It too would be cranked all the way up.

Over the years I've used many 3 - 9s X40mm, but generally find them a bit too heavy and clumsy for woods encounters.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Last 25 years, 90% Leupold vari-x's set on 5.
Farther back, 4x fixed.
3.5-10 or 3-9 variables, usually set at 6x, but cranked down to 4x if I might kick out an animal that's bedded down.

I basically just need Duovid scopes, since I only use two power settings while hunting.
Hmmm, sounds like Leupold needs to come out w/a 5x35 fixed wink Lol.

Gasman, I'd reckon a good % of hunters who have time, often crank their variables to the max power for their shot by habit, just b/c it's there.

For less experienced shooters, it can cause overconfidence and a hurried trigger snatch pulling the shot in the field.

Last 10 years - 3x9 Leupold - in the timber sitting on 3x, otherwise resting at 5x.
Probably my favorite scope for big game is the Leupold 2-7x33. The 3-9x40 is also very nice but I wouldn't want anything larger than 40mm on a big game rifle. I usually sit with the scope on 4x and only crank it up for volunteers past about 200 yards.

This summer I sat with a bud looking over a bean field with my FN Mauser 7x57 with a fixed 4x Leupold on board (crop damage permit, strictly legal). A volunteer came into view at 200 yards. When I brought up the rifle I thought that deer looked mighty small through that scope! That's when I would have reached up and cranked the mag ring on a variable. I did kill the deer though.

Now I don't often shoot on 2x. Only when sitting or moving through the thickest of the thick. I have never kilt a buff or elephant but I can understand how low magnification would be beneficial there. A diaper and a roll of toilet paper would probably come in handy then too. wink
I live out west, and most of my shooting seems to be at distance, so I crank it up from 6X to max power. Usually it is 14X or 9X.
© 24hourcampfire