Home
Posted By: Oakster Remington 721 - 09/23/12
What is the general thought of the Remington 721 rifle? My dad had one in .30-06 ( passed it down to one of my brothers ). At the gun shop yesterday, I saw one in decent condition for $300. I was thinking of maybe a boyds stock or a maybe even a lightweight composite stock. Does this action use the same aftermarket parts as the 700 as far as triggers, barrels etc? Any issues with the rifles?
Posted By: vapodog Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
There's not a darn thing wrong with those rifles...I have one in .300 H&H and just love it.

$300 is a good buy....grab it and run.

They do like a new stock as the original have much too much drop for scope use.

I restocked mine but I'm told the Rem 700 stocks and even bottom metal can be retrofitted.
Posted By: erich Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
I have one in 35 Whelen in a BDL stock, the original bottom metal fits well I just had to fill the front and rear of the recesses in the stock,file a little to clear the bolt handle and safety.
Posted By: super T Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
For $300. Get back there and buy it before I jump in the truck and beat you to it. My first rifle was a Rem.721 in 30.06, cost $75 in 1959, wish I still had it. Mine was very accurate BTW
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
Oakster;
With the understanding that I've played around a fair bit with our youngest daughter's rifle which is based on a 722 action and have had a couple good looks at some 721's I'd offer this.

We fitted a Remington 700 trigger on hers as the 722 safety would engage more or less on its own. That required a bit of filing on the right rear of the tang to clear the safety on the 700 trigger.

The shape of the bolt handle is slightly different and will require a bit of inletting on any 700 stock. Not much mind you, but in my experience one doesn't want the bolt handle contacting with the stock.

As far as I'm aware, the barrel threads are identical on the 721/722/700 rifles. Thus far on the ones I've looked at, that also appears to include the thickness of the recoil lug.

The extractor on the 721/722 series isn't the same as the 700 in that it isn't riveted in but is more like an internal snap ring type of arrangement. Original extractors are very hard to come by, or at least I've not been able to find one after looking for years.

The fix for a broken 721/722 extractor would be one of three choices I'd believe. One could replace the entire bolt with one out of a similar length 700 action, have a 700 type extractor installed or have a Sako/AR 15 type installed.

Without opening the can of worms too wide - and shaking them onto the kitchen table - I will say that I'd research putting in a Sako extractor thoroughly before having that particular modification done.

Anyway, here is a a quick photo of the aforementioned 722 of our daughter's.
[Linked Image]

For those interested in the details, it's a 722 action, 700 trigger, 700 ADL magazine assembly, 700 ADL short action laminated stock which I epoxy pillar bedded as well as having a million holes drilled in it to drop some weight and then putting on a Decelerator. The rings are Talleys, the scope a Leupold Vari X II 3x9 and the barrel an RKS stainless match in .250AI.

Hopefully all that was some use to you or someone out there. Good luck in your rifle build whichever way you decide and good luck on your upcoming hunts this fall as well.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
I have two. Good rifles. I put a 700 BDL bottom metal and floorplate on one. I like the round bolt knob.

As mentioned, the only problem area is the extractor, but only if it fails, which is quite rare.

If you like the rifle in question, I would get it without hesitation at that price. It would make a good, rugged hunting rifle for you.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
The only issue I would have with this rifle is, as BC pointed, the extractor..I have had several 722's in .222, on excellent 721 in .270 and several 721's in .300...all gone now..I sold the 270 to a guy in town..It shot perfect and functioned fine..shortly after he bought it the extractor broke..I think he finally located one..That is the only issue I would have with the rifle...In Kearney, Neb. there is a gunshop that might have extra extractors..If I bought another 721 or 722, I would locate a spare as soon as possible..I think I have the card for that shop..If you need it..
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
I would not take a 7xx for nothing!

I have some nice guns. The safe is full. I don't have room for cheap stuff like those.

Here are some of my guns at the range.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mart Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
Despite being left handed I've always liked the 721/722. I've had several and handled many more. All have been accurate. I like nice rifles and have several nice left handed rifles in my safe. I still have a soft spot for the 721's and 722's. They take me back to a time when life was a little less complicated.

I'd snap that 721 up if I were you. You won't be disappointed. Fitting a 700 stock to one is easily accomplished. I have dressed up a couple of them with 700 classic take off stocks.

Mart
Posted By: Jericho Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
I have seen Remington M721/722s with M700 stocks, barrels,
bolts, floorplates, etc. installed on them.
Posted By: angusmac Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
What's wrong with the existing wood? I have a bunch of 721/22s and all of them are original and scoped and I hunt/target shoot with them all. Each of them is a fine rifle.
Posted By: agazain Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
I like mine. "Customized" a bit before I swapped two shotguns for it. Gun shop had another (both .300 H&H Magnum) "plain" / rough. 300 bucks is a no-brainer (if you have the dough).
Posted By: Oakster Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
Originally Posted by angusmac
What's wrong with the existing wood? I have a bunch of 721/22s and all of them are original and scoped and I hunt/target shoot with them all. Each of them is a fine rifle.
The wood is in decent condition but it appears to have had the original finish removed and a really dark oil rubbed in to it. Feels like unfinished wood. Checkering etc is still there, but I like to have clear coat type of finish on the wood.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Remington 721 - 09/23/12
The action is worth $300+.

You'll have to file an area on the right side of the rear tang to clear the M-700 safety, if you decide to go that way. The 721 trigger and safety are OK as is, IMHO.

You may want to check on the extractor situation. I read that the 722/721 extractor is different than the 700 part and could be hard to find. Not sure about that, just remember reading something. Those parts look pretty close to the same to me.

Solid old rifles with barrels that shoot.

DF
Posted By: Oakster Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
that is some very good information guys! I will have to toss this idea around and see if i want to spend the money on this rifle. It seems like it would be a very neat little project.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by Oakster
that is some very good information guys! I will have to toss this idea around and see if i want to spend the money on this rifle. It seems like it would be a very neat little project.

The M721 is the forerunner to the M700. The barrels interchange, will need to do a bit of mods to a M700 stock to make the M721 fit, and a ADL mag box assembly. I just recently did the same thing as BC30 and fit a M700 trigger to a M721--the triggers are the same basic design, the M721 has more open side plates instead of the closed plates of a M700 trigger. I prefer the M700 safety lever over the M721--just my personal preference.

The tang on the M721 is wider and deeper--that's the single biggest difference between the actions. It requires some judicous filing to make it fit. The M721's larger action makes it a heavier rifle than the M700.

Casey
Forgot to add: At $300 I'd buy it. At $250 I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Casey

The M721/722 stocks have got to make for one of the "kickingest" rifles out there.

A Decelerator pad would undoubtedly help, but a M700 stock does wonders........

Casey
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The M721/722 stocks have got to make for one of the "kickingest" rifles out there.

Casey

Probably due to too much drop. It's an old design, set up more for iron sights. The 700 stock has better ergonomics for modern use, especially scopes.

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
Extractors are a problem if one is needed.
Originally Posted by EdM
Extractors are a problem if one is needed.

You know, those extractors look about the same. Obviously, they're different. One would think that Remington or some aftermarket vendor would be making those parts.

I wonder if the 722/721 bolt could be machined to accept the 700 extractor. Better still, if one has a problem and can't get the part, just get the bolt machined for a Sako or AR type extractor.

DF
Posted By: agazain Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
[Linked Image]

LOP desired achieved by leather add-on. Built up cheek with moleskin under slip on bullet holder. Stock is bedded and don't know where it came from. Had to epoxy trigger pin in place -- could have had it galled by 'smith but I needed to go kudu hunting. (It was blocking safety due to slipping out of place.) Excellent accuracy with handloads. Two kudu, one at 281 yds. Mountain reedbuck at 260 yds. Off 3-leg shooting sticks.
Posted By: ghost Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
You CAN get a 721 bolt fitted with a sako extractor. It ran me about $125.00 a few years ago to do so. You cannot use the 700 extractors in them, in fact, you can't use the modern 700 extractors in some of the older 700s (I have one from the 60s and the extractor went a few years back, and sent the bolt to Remington for a new one, and they said, don't break this one, as there aren't any more). I didn't break the one in it, just got OLD and cracked. If you're going to keep the 721 and it's working okay NOW, use it the way it is, I didn't read all the remarks yet, so don't know the whole story. Then look for someone who does the Sako extractor. I got mine done by some guy in Minnesota, I think. Sent the bolt off and it was back, in a week with the new extractor.

There was a blow up test done, in the 40s right after the 721s came out, by General Hatcher, and the 721 came out on top as the strongest action, having take a full case full of proof powder, with a 180 grain bullet, and 5 more 180s pushed down the barrel on top of the load, and it just locked the action up. They stopped there, as felt the barrel might come off. I can't recall which action came in 2nd, but the 03, 17s, mausers, etc., all blew way before that level was reached.

IF you do a search on Sako extractors installed, you can probably find the guy who did mine. I was "customizing" my 721, and had the extractor put on it, a new model 70 type safety, and new bottom metal. After all that have only shot it a few times, as it's a 270, and I have a 280 that I hunt with, so don't use it.

just checked and go to [email protected], and he does the Sako extractors.
Good info, ghost.

I guess one forfeits the magic "three rings of steel" with that alteration. But, to me being able to extract ones cases trumps a 200,000 psi blow up test capacity.

DF

Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
A good gunsmith may be able to fit a Model 700 extractor to a 721/722 series rifle. I think it would require drilling a hole in the bolt and riveting it in place, but it should be cheaper than going with the Sako extractor.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
[/quote]

Casey [/quote]

The 721 stock came in two comb heights, original low comb for iron sights and a later straighter comb version.

The low comb version did kick the snot out of me. I later put the straighter version on my 721 and it is now a very comfortable stock to use.

If I had to restock a 721 today I would get a Boyds walnut 721 stock and call it good.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
If I had to restock a 721 today I would get a Boyds walnut 721 stock and call it good.

Not a bad idea.

Probably the most bang for your buck, especially if you can bed and finish a stock.

DF
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
A good gunsmith may be able to fit a Model 700 extractor to a 721/722 series rifle. I think it would require drilling a hole in the bolt and riveting it in place, but it should be cheaper than going with the Sako extractor.

Do you have any specifics on that, i.e. cost, etc.?

That may be less expensive and you'd still have those "three rings of steel" to talk about... cool

DF
Posted By: Jocko_Slugshot Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That may be less expensive and you'd still have those "three rings of steel" to talk about... cool

DF

DF, I've never had the procedure performed on any of my rifles but a comparison of a Model 700 bolt to a 721/722 bolt would seem to indicate that such an operation could be performed. I read about it long ago, but I can't remember where..... old age is a terrible thing.
+1 on advancing maturity... blush

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Instead of walnut, which will be pretty plain, I'd get the Nutmeg, brown laminate, and stain it dark. I have one like that on my 6.5-284 and it looks like an expensive stock. I did have it checkered in a Winchester pattern, by Errol Case in MO. I'm no beginner at finishing stocks, just not quite in the same class with Karnis... blush

The dark brown laminate looks better than plain walnut and is stronger, IMHO.

DF
Posted By: rembo Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
I've owned at least 10 different 721/722's over the years. Good solid rifles with a lot of 700 parts interchangability.

Don't let the extractor worry you a bit.

Contrary to popular misconception and internet legends a riveted 700 extractor can be fit to a 721/722. I've done two myself. It's not a job for a hand drill as the location of the rivet hole has to be very close. Mine were both .473 bolt face, maybe a .378" bolt might be a bit tougher but the procedure will be the same.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: Remington 721 - 09/24/12
I never changed a thing on my 722 in .257 Roberts...but it had an old Bishop walnut stock already installed when I found it.

It shoots 117 grain factory Hornady ammo into less than 1/2 inch and has never shown anything but perfect reliability (including the safety, the ejector, etc.).
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Remington 721 - 09/25/12
Those old 722/721 barrels were very good. I've not heard of one that wouldn't shoot and the ones I've had or knew about did really well.

DF
Posted By: Outcast Re: Remington 721 - 09/28/12
I have 721's in 300H&H, 30/06 and 270 and a 722 in the original 244. The 06 & 270 were hunted hard for over 50yrs. The 721/270 is the most accurate 270 Ive ever owned.

Nothings ever broken. I own more in those series than in 700. They are one of the best sleeper buys out there.

O
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
This is my 722 in 257 Roberts. It was Mike Walker's favorite deer rifle. I was lucky to be able to purchase it and his Mod 37 Remington rimfire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has a Lyman Alaskan also. Both of Mike's rifles that I have show Mike had a chance to look through Remington"s wood bin.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
WOW! ....... Veddy nice in a lot of ways.

Posted By: ghost Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
If I were to need an extractor in a 721 bolt, would send it right back to Remington, as they'd have the parts, and or people with knowledge and ability to "do it right". I had my 700 bolt to two different gunsmiths who were unable to find an extractor, though one did install one that looked okay, but didn't work (he took it back out), and that's when I sent it it Remington. Cheaper in the long run, and less time consuming than having a local "smith" try to find the parts, etc. You will hear that there are 721 extractors out there, but try finding one. As I noted before, even the newer 700s use a different extractor than the 60s one I have and Remington said, hope this one lasts, as no more available. The installation of the sako extractor doesn't detract from the bolts strength, as it fills in the area where the cut made for it. The big problem on mauser and such bolts is, they don't entirely seal off the chamber and back of the cartridge case, so leave space for it to blow.

The other problem , if it is one, on the 721, is the stamped floor plate which looks junky. As a few have noted, that can be replaced with a modern 700 one, or one from Williams rifle products, or Borwnells, which is all steel and looks very good.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
Every now and then you will see a M721/722 with a floorplate
from an Arisaka installed on it.
Posted By: djs Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
If I found a Remington 721 (in 30-06) or a 722 in any caliber for $300 (in good conditions), I'd grab it!
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
I would not take a 721 or a 722 for nothing. I have no more room in the safe.

If I find a better gun than what I have the M50 JC Higgins is going out the door.

Posted By: angusmac Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by Oakster
The wood is in decent condition but it appears to have had the original finish removed and a really dark oil rubbed in to it. Feels like unfinished wood. Checkering etc is still there, but I like to have clear coat type of finish on the wood.

Checkering? I hate when peepul strip stocks and leave them rough. I guess it's too much work to rub that finish smooth... wink
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I would not take a 721 or a 722 for nothing. I have no more room in the safe.

If I find a better gun than what I have the M50 JC Higgins is going out the door.

Hater!

OTOH ..... I made room this week for an FN Browning M98 amoungst the superior M700s I own.

Posted By: kutenay Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
The Browning rifles, with the FN action are not REAL Mod. 98s and the Remmy 700s are certainly NOT "superior", except in the fevered imagination of certain "Fudds" whom shall remain nameless.........

That said, even as a hardcore CRF P-64, Brno 21-ZG, HVA and FN and Obie 98 guy, who also owns Remmy 600, Ruger MKII and CZ-550 rifles, I have always liked the 721-722 series and really regret passing on a pristine 722 in .257 Bob for $275.00 some years ago.

I love the bolt handles on these and am willing to pay serious coin for a pristine 725 in .280 Rem, even with several other rifles chambered in that superb cartridge.....hmmmmm, kinda "Fuddish" myself, eh! smile
Originally Posted by kutenay
The Browning rifles, with the FN action are not REAL Mod. 98s and the Remmy 700s are certainly NOT "superior", except in the fevered imagination of certain "Fudds" whom shall remain nameless.........

My push-feed vs CRF "trolling" was certainly a joke and intended to get olde Savage 99 a stir in light of his previous remark. grin

Posted By: BandGHunter Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
JMO, 722's here in Pa.or on GunBroker go high in .257 Rob.for some reason. I love 722's a nice action to build from for sure. The stocks are Betty's best to chuck and after market. Some of the checkered ones from Rem. if good not to bad imo. I tried to get a 722 which up here go alittle higher but settled on a 1981 700 short action. Look around you can find plenty for $300.00 in 721's. The .300 savage,Roberts, and .222's always go higher in the 6-700.00 range up this way....later
Posted By: mmgravy Re: Remington 721 - 09/29/12
If Savage 99 wouldn't own a 721 or 722 for nothing, they must be darn good rifles.

I have a pair of 722's that are capable of sub-MOA and one of them does much, much better than that.
© 24hourcampfire