Home
Posted By: onelostsoul .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Tell me some stories?

Got one in a CDL model 700.........and one in a 7600.

Too much for whitetails?
Posted By: NH K9 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Is there such a thing as "too dead"? grin

I picked up a 7600 myself but haven't had a chance to shed any blood with it. I figure if my 35 Remington works, the Whelen should be "that much" better!

George
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Does your pump gun have the stamped receiver?
Posted By: raybass Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Pick up some RE-15 and some 225 gr partitions or TSX's. Work up a load and go hunting!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by onelostsoul
Too much for whitetails?

No way. I'd use soft C&C bullets.

I've built a 9.3x62 and traded for another. I'm going to use them on whitetails this fall.

Sorta the same idea.

DF
No, sir, it doesn't. It's just a plain Jane work model from the Grice run back in '04ish (I don't remember the exact year). I bought my 35 Rem. Carbine new that year and lucked into the Whelen last year at a very good price.

George
Posted By: ChipM Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Too much...find what works in each and go forward after whitetails
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Too much, but it will work. I'd rather a 223 than a Whelen for deer.

It shines for big critters.
Correct on the year...........and they both shoot like no tommorrow! Pound em` out!
The pump gun came with two full boxes of Remington....250gr...Round nose? Dos remmy make them any more?
As far as I know, the answer is yes. I saw some at one of the local gun stores last week.
Posted By: djs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
The 35 Whelen is a great cartridge for anything in the lower 48 states. In Alaska, I'd go for something larger.
Didn't SKane take his Whelen up for griz not too long ago? It seemed to work okay.

If the 9.3 is enough for big bear, I don't see why the Whelen wouldn't be (disclaimer: I have ZERO experience with big bears).

George
Posted By: BCSteve Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I have a custom stainless Ruger MKII in .35 Whelen, it's my moose gun. 225gr TSX at 2700fps works pretty well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by NH K9
Didn't SKane take his Whelen up for griz not too long ago? It seemed to work okay.

If the 9.3 is enough for big bear, I don't see why the Whelen wouldn't be (disclaimer: I have ZERO experience with big bears).

George

There's not a bunch of difference between the .35W and 9.3x62.

DF
Posted By: mart Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by djs
The 35 Whelen is a great cartridge for anything in the lower 48 states. In Alaska, I'd go for something larger.

With all due respect just how much bigger do you think one needs to go in Alaska. Our critters may be tough but they are not bullet proof and darn sure not immune to 35 Whelens. I've never felt under gunned with mine in Alaska. A 250 grain 35 caliber bullet at 2500-2600 fps will lay low anything in Alaska as well as the lower 48.

Mart
The worse death of a deer I've ever seen was one shot with a Whelen.

Nothing says hello like little slugs going fast.
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by djs

With all due respect just how much bigger do you think one needs to go in Alaska. Our critters may be tough but they are not bullet proof and darn sure not immune to 35 Whelens. I've never felt under gunned with mine in Alaska. A 250 grain 35 caliber bullet at 2500-2600 fps will lay low anything in Alaska as well as the lower 48.

Mart

Don't sweat it, DJS is an idiot.
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
A 225 gr NPT in your Whelen started at 2550 fps does less meat damage than any c&c 130 gr .277 at 3000+ or 150 gr at 2900+ with a hit in the quarters. Dead is dead ,but every animal I've shot with the 225 gr NPT had less edible meat loss than faster smallbore's hit the same. BTDT . Magnum Man
Me too, and I'll take a deer that drops there with a TSX than one I have to chase over the hill with a Whelen. BTDT
Posted By: shaman Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Back in '05, we were all talking about using ST. Hubert's Day instead of Christmas as a hunter's way of giving and getting neat gifts like deer rifles and such BEFORE season starts. KYHillChick found out about it and conspired with VAnimrod and others on here to get me a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen.

It's been a wonderful rifle. Since '05, I've taken more deer with it than anything else. It's been my choice for the rain and for filling the freezer with that last tag. If you go to my weblog (see my signature) you'll find a bunch of stories about it. There's even a 35 Whelen Category.

35 Whelen

I use 200 grain Rem SPCL over H4895. I tried the pointy ones the first year and did not have spectacular results. That was more a matter of expectation than reality. Both do fine, but I have stayed with the round-nosed ones since.

That's the key to hunting whitetail with a 35 Whelen. The Whelenizer and I get along just fine. It's just. . . Well, I think my old buddy John put it the best. He was local scion of the Mensa community, and spent 50 years in business never spending too long with any one company. The trouble? John said that "The hardest part of being gifted is the expectations of others." That's the problem with me and the Whelenizer, my expectations. I expected the performance of that rifle to be phenomenally better than a 30-06. On deer, it's not. Whitetail deer aren't big enough to really let the 'Whelen do its job. It's in and out the other side. It may be better at longer distances or some other specialized situation, but as far as bang-floppiness I call it even with the '06 on whitetails at normal whitetail distances. I can pulp the lungs and heart with both equally and deer run off or fall over with equal frequency. Oh, I don't mean miles. In the past 10 years I don't think a deer has run on me longer than 100 yards. It's all a sure thing.

One thing that is certain about the Whelenizer is its reputation. Folks know I shoot it, and know its distinctive report. I've had more than one neighbor comment to me, "I heard your gun go off today-- knew it was you. How big was he?" I'm roughly the same dimensions as John Wayne after he went to seed, so it's sort of a big guy/big gun kind of thing. When the shaman lights one up, everyone on the ridge knows it. It's really wrong to mention John Wayne and then use a Frenchy term like Cach� in the same paragraph so I won't. Whatever it is, the Whelenizer has it.

Posted By: fishdog52 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Most anyone that has actually hunted with a Whelen is a fan. This is a caliber that just does not fail to accomplish what is fairly asked of it. While we enjoy an abundance of great calibers/bullets today, many of us would choose the Whelen if we were limited to just one.
For many years, I hunted PA whitetails generally using 200gr Hornady Spitzer, with great success. My current favorite Whelen, a 700CDL, loves the 250 gr Partition over Varget. This is a recent development as I have been using the 250 gr Hornady, happily and with great success, in recent years. Not truly convinced the Whelen really needs premium bullets, but I'm mot smart enough to leave "well enough" alone.
Craig Boddington has an article in the current G&A mag covering the various 35's. His comments about his experience with the Whelen are nothing but positive.
I often find Steelheads comments of interest, but as regards the Whelen, just wrong.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
It's probably my favorite cartridge, I have used almost exclusivly 225 gr bullets other than one black bear with an older 250 gr RN factory load. Nosler Partrition, Accubond, Ballistic Tip, Trophy Bonded and TSX have all done the job for me in the past on deer, black bear, moose, stone sheep and even a coyote last year. I just had a new one put together on a Rem 700 action, I'm working on 200 gr bullets this year, the 200 gr Hornady for practice, 200 gr Accubond for all around use and the 200 gr TTSX for my close range moose load. So far Varget is looking pretty good with the Accubond and I have a decent load with the TTSX and IMR 8208. Looking forward to hunting mountain goat with the 200 gr Accubond, in October, it should be a pefect blend of fast expansion to kill quickly while still tough enough to take out heavy bone, should be one heck of a good bullet for deer sized game.

Fishdog52 what was your load with Varget and the 250 gr NP? In my old Whelen 60 gr of it with the 225 gr AB was my go to load.
I often find Steelheads comments of interest, but as regards the Whelen, just wrong.

How can his comments be "wrong" when he is commenting on his own observations having used both?

You may have different experiences with the Whelen, but that doesn't make yours "right" or "wrong".

Steelhead has killed a hell of a lot more deer than I have (I'm getting out of NH to hunt now, so I'm working on it) so I take what he has to say seriously, as I do with many more her.

I'm not giving up my .35s and I'm unlikely to hit the NH woods with a .223 anytime soon, but I'm going to give the .260 a chance that I wouldn't have in years past.

George
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Most anyone that has actually hunted with a Whelen is a fan. This is a caliber that just does not fail to accomplish what is fairly asked of it. While we enjoy an abundance of great calibers/bullets today, many of us would choose the Whelen if we were limited to just one.
For many years, I hunted PA whitetails generally using 200gr Hornady Spitzer, with great success. My current favorite Whelen, a 700CDL, loves the 250 gr Partition over Varget. This is a recent development as I have been using the 250 gr Hornady, happily and with great success, in recent years. Not truly convinced the Whelen really needs premium bullets, but I'm mot smart enough to leave "well enough" alone.
Craig Boddington has an article in the current G&A mag covering the various 35's. His comments about his experience with the Whelen are nothing but positive.

Nope, not wrong. I still contest, based on seeing lots of [bleep] die, that a small/fast slug impresses deer more.

Here is one Whelen'ized (whatever the [bleep] that is) deer.

[Linked Image]

He went a good 150 yards. I caught up and could see the bullet hole where it should be on the offside, but the deer weren't impressed. Took a good couple of minutes for it to die. Of course part of the problem was that the 225gr Ballistic tip didn't expand.

I've got a few more less than impressed deer pics with the Whelen. I also recall one that went ass over teakettle with a shot straight on.

They seem to impress bear a bit more than deer and moose even more so.

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one certainly don't need 200+ grains to kill a deer and burn 60grs of powder to do it.

I'll be ML hunting again this fall, the 54 that I bought came with 100 or so 540gr Maxiballs. I laughed when I started doing the math, the total combined weight of bullets used to kill the last 6 critters is 562grs.

If folks want to believe that the Whelen is some sort of magic wand, I'm happy for them, but don't tell me it tastes like French vanilla ice cream and expect me to eat it with a spoon.
Posted By: ingwe Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Nope, not wrong. I still contest, based on seeing lots of [bleep] die, that a small/fast slug impresses deer more.

As much as I hate to admit it ( cause I truly and dearly love the classic cartridges) I have no doubt Steelie is right.
Posted By: Waders Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I've killed exactly one animal with my Whelen - a cow elk at 150 yds. I shot it twice with a 250gr Hornady. It turns out the second shot wasn't necessary, but I was following the rule of "keep shooting 'til they're down."

The elk went nowhere, and as much as I hate the cliche, you could eat right up to the hole. I was very satisfied.

As for the original question: Is it too much for deer? Of course it is, but if you shoot the gun well, and like hunting with it, go for it. After you kill a few deer with it, you start to get an idea of whether you want to keep hunting them with it. Good luck!
And my Whelen ain't going anywhere, one of my favorites, just not for deer.
Posted By: Youper Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Tuesday I got a black bear with a 350 Rem Mag, which is nearly indistinguishable from a Whelen. I used a 200 gr. Hornady spire point and IMR4320 at what I guess was about 2600 fps from a 700 with a 24" barrel. The bullet worked great on a double lung shot, in and out on ribs. The bear left a good blood trail out of both holes, and didn't go more than 20 yards.

The point is you don't need a Whelen, but it will work fine. Have fun with it.
Posted By: zxc Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
killed many many black bears and moose along with a few deer with my Whelen, get more one shot knock downs than with any other .
Posted By: JPro Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
The state of LA decided this year to allow the T/C offerings during Primitive Weapons season, and they also moved the caliber restriction from .38+ down to .35+. As a result, the Whelen, .358win, and .35Rem have my attention. My .444 does the job, but is a bit more than what I really need for whitetails. To be honest, an Encore in .35 Whelen is nowhere near "primitive" and the entire ordeal is just an effort to sell more licenses.
Posted By: SKane Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12

Yes sir. I'm not sure how it could have gotten any "deader" - and on the spot too.

If Phil Shoemaker says the 30.06 with good bullets works on big bears, I get the giggles when someone refutes it or says you've got to have bigger than XX head stamp. Hinky.
I found my way to the Fire in '06 while looking for information on the Whelen. I never got around to it, and that thread solidified in my mind that I needed a Whelen.

I got a good deal from a pard that was never going to use his 7600. It's going to find its way to Nathan at HBC for a slight barrel chop and synthetic furniture. It will make it to AK some day.....

George
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
If you shoot whitetails with it you may be disappointed by the tougher heavier bullets performance.

I used TBBC's on one and it went 40 yards before it went down. The shot was at 225 yards and it took off like a sprinter.

Bullet went through the heart and all. Blood spray on the wheat on both sides.

Posted By: djs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I am amazed that neither the 35 Whelen or the 338-06 has gotten better traction - they are excellent calibers.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Well, based on my vast experience with the Whelen, whistle whistle whistle one cow elk and lots of paper all I can say is based on that one cow elk, I was very much impressed. FWIW, my load was 60.4 gr. of RL15, Remington case and standard Winchester primer and the Barnes TSX 225 gr. bullet. Elk went down instantly on a raking shot at 150 yards. The bullet entered on the left side just behind the short ribs and exited between the neck and right shoulder. At impact the elk just dropped on the spot. Mighty impressive I would have to say. I'll find out if history will repeat itslf on my upcoming co elk hunt in December.
There's a lot of love for the Whelen over on Nosler's forum.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/index.php

There are even comments on it's effectiveness out as far as 400 yards which surprised me. I have mine figured out to 250 and possibly 300 yards but I never thought 400 could be a serious consideration. Might have to see what I can do about that.
Seems like the most popular bullets over there at the Partition and Accubond for the Whelen. I would like to use a 200 gr. bullet for my upcoming der hunt but the stat of Arizona is requesting hunters doing their hunts in the Kaibab and Arizona Strip to "voluntarily use monometal bullets like the TSX. frown Guess if I went with the 200 gr. Hornady that I wanted to use, then that would make me a bad guy or some such. I already did use a TSX up there about 6 years ago when I got a tag for the area. Cost me the only decent size deer I saw on the whole trip. I had the Whelen with me and if I'd shot that der, the bullets would have passed through and taken out at least two or three of the does standing behind him. shocked frown Game & Fish frowns on such happenings. whistle
Paul B.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I always find it odd when folks talk about how quickly or slowly a deer dies or how far it ran and don't factor placement in. Regardless of the round (considering the vast range of "adequate" rounds), placement always seems to make the biggest different in how far an animal travels after a shot. A couple of Whelen victims I got pics of:

Straight on shot, forehead, moved ~18 inches straight down...shivered a little...

[Linked Image]

Straight on shot, dropped at the shot, found bullet in the hip:

[Linked Image]

Heart/lower lung shot, ran ~40 yards, spray painted blood trail on both sides:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I am a closet .35 caliber fan. I've owned .35 Remingtons, .358 WCF's and the Whelen. The only one of those three that I have shot a deer with was the .35 Remington.

I am of the opinion that the Whelen ought to be a dandy Black bear, hog and elk cartridge, and truth told, I'd see it at it's best with elk. (I base that on my own propensity for loading whelen cases with 250 grain bullets.)

Most everything works for whitetails though, as long as the cat behind the trigger can shoot. I am beginning to lean toward the cartridges that beat up on me less and kill deer just as well.

As of late, I have been happy killing deer with the .30 WCF, the .243 and the .257 Roberts.

Posted By: bsteve Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
I've shot maybe 15 deer with my 35 Whelen 7600 using 225 gr. Sierra Game Kings. Results are about the same as deer I've shot with a 243,280 , or 308. Put the bullet through their lungs and they lay down right quick.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I am a closet .35 caliber fan. I've owned .35 Remingtons, .358 WCF's and the Whelen. The only one of those three that I have shot a deer with was the .35 Remington.

I am of the opinion that the Whelen ought to be a dandy Black bear, hog and elk cartridge, and truth told, I'd see it at it's best with elk. (I base that on my own propensity for loading whelen cases with 250 grain bullets.)

Most everything works for whitetails though, as long as the cat behind the trigger can shoot. I am beginning to lean toward the cartridges that beat up on me less and kill deer just as well.

As of late, I have been happy killing deer with the .30 WCF, the .243 and the .257 Roberts.

Hey CT

I was going to respond to this thread but it appears you have already said what I was going to say. I've been working my way back down in caliber too. My 270 is getting used a little more lately and I even shot a buck with my 50 year old .243 last year in Nebraska.

WN

Posted By: kk alaska Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/29/12
Have shot moose and black bear with my 2 Whelens one a 7600 Rem and the other a LH Ruger MK 2 35 Whelen IMP. Both kill well on what I have seen. 2 holes 250 gr Speer at 2480 to 2600 FPS,
seems to whack moose well. Takes out lungs on black bear as well!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SKane Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12

I got a good deal from a pard that was never going to use his 7600. It's going to find its way to Nathan at HBC for a slight barrel chop and synthetic furniture. It will make it to AK some day.....

George

George,
That's cool. You're in good hands with Nate. Have him coat the thing and put an over-sized safety on it too. whistle
Posted By: raybass Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12
Originally Posted by PJGunner
Well, based on my vast experience with the Whelen, whistle whistle whistle one cow elk and lots of paper all I can say is based on that one cow elk, I was very much impressed. FWIW, my load was 60.4 gr. of RL15, Remington case and standard Winchester primer and the Barnes TSX 225 gr. bullet. Elk went down instantly on a raking shot at 150 yards. The bullet entered on the left side just behind the short ribs and exited between the neck and right shoulder. At impact the elk just dropped on the spot. Mighty impressive I would have to say. I'll find out if history will repeat itslf on my upcoming co elk hunt in December.
There's a lot of love for the Whelen over on Nosler's forum.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/index.php

There are even comments on it's effectiveness out as far as 400 yards which surprised me. I have mine figured out to 250 and possibly 300 yards but I never thought 400 could be a serious consideration. Might have to see what I can do about that.
Seems like the most popular bullets over there at the Partition and Accubond for the Whelen. I would like to use a 200 gr. bullet for my upcoming der hunt but the stat of Arizona is requesting hunters doing their hunts in the Kaibab and Arizona Strip to "voluntarily use monometal bullets like the TSX. frown Guess if I went with the 200 gr. Hornady that I wanted to use, then that would make me a bad guy or some such. I already did use a TSX up there about 6 years ago when I got a tag for the area. Cost me the only decent size deer I saw on the whole trip. I had the Whelen with me and if I'd shot that der, the bullets would have passed through and taken out at least two or three of the does standing behind him. shocked frown Game & Fish frowns on such happenings. whistle
Paul B.

PJGunner,
I also used the Whelen on elk with the same load basically. 60 grs of RE-15, WLR primer and 225 TSX's. 1 raghorn elk at 300 - 310ish yds, at the shot he lunged and plowed dirt. Great cartridge IMHO
Posted By: castnblast Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12
I have killed about 15 elk, a couple moose and a few whitetails with my Whelens. I think it is about ideal as an elk cartridge for my hunting when loaded with 250 gr bullets at 2500 fps. Quick kills and good penetration, even through heavy bones. But using those same bullets on deer has been disappointing. One buck shot a little too far back through the diaphragm and liver with a 250 Speer GS was one of the longest tracking jobs I can remember. In my experience, the same shot with a .243 would have resulted in a much quicker kill. I also had a long and blood free tracking job on a buck shot through both lungs at about 15 yd broadside with a 225 sierra. The bullet didn't open up at all by the looks of things.
I think a 200 grain rn might be a good deer bullet in the whelen, but I use my whelen primarily for elk or moose hunts and won't handicap my elk or moose rifle with a light "deer" bullet. So based on my experience, the Whelen is a great elk round, but may be "unsuitable" for deer if heavy & stout bullets are used.
Posted By: raybass Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12
Try some 250 gr RN Hornadys on deer, only a sample of one but my nephew dumped his deer last year with one. One shot drop. Load is actually a little slow but it works. He loves that ole classic.
Posted By: castnblast Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12
Thanks for that suggestion raybass. I did shoot two elk with the 250 Hornady RN last year and by appearances the bullets opened quickly and did penetrate all the way to the far side of the elk too. Might be a good choice for a mixed bag hunt or even a deer only hunt.
Posted By: lucket Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 09/30/12
It's good to see folks using that classic old cartridge... It thumps game hard. laugh
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/16/12
Thanks for all of the post on this subject.........alot of good reads! Alot of knowledge out there.

Onelost.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/16/12
I bought a Whelen after I got permission to hunt bear in Eastern NC..... Had to test it out on deer and so far I'm 10 for 10 bang flops..... No bear test results to report yet.....

The Whelen also pretty much turns woodchucks inside out when loaded with pistol bullets and it is fun with cast bullets too.....
Posted By: tmax264 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/17/12
I leave tomorrow to go hunting and I've got both ends covered. Taking a Whelen with 225 NBTs going 2680 and a 264WM shooting 140gr NBTs at 3140. Not sure which I'll be carrying Sat morning, I just grab the one that feels right that day.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/18/12
Seems to me that the bigger variable in todays world might be your choice of an appropriate bullet rather than your choice of caliber. I consider the Whelen to be remarkably versatile and effective for any N American game.
BUT...you can improve your odds for succes by choosing a bullet appropriate for your target. With the amzing menu of projectiles offered today, this should apply to any caliber.
I occasionally read of guys using pistol bullets for varmints out their Whelens. I wonder how the 180 gr Partition might work for light skinned game?
Posted By: moosemike Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/18/12
I've used the .350 Rem mag and it's the same thing as the Whelen. They are great for deer if you go with a 200 grain soft point and nothing heavier.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/18/12
Seems to me that the bigger variable in todays world might be your choice of an appropriate bullet rather than your choice of caliber. I consider the Whelen to be remarkably versatile and effective for any N American game.
BUT...you can improve your odds for succes by choosing a bullet appropriate for your target. With the amzing menu of projectiles offered today, this should apply to any caliber.
I occasionally read of guys using pistol bullets for varmints out their Whelens. I wonder how the 180 gr Partition might work for light skinned game?

True. The nice thing about a round like the Whelen is, most anything 250 will rely less on bonded/partitioned/mono...etc... You've got solid performance from plain jane bullets. With a smaller caliber, bullet performance may vary to a great degree depending on the bullet structure/build. None of that was said to downplay using a quality bullet, but larger caliber rounds moving at non-warp speeds cover a lot of sins in regard to performance of regular bullets.
Posted By: whelennut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/18/12
I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
One hundred bullets could last for generations. I used to play around with different bullets and came to the conclusion that deer can't tell much difference from a well placed shot with any bullet out there. The last 11 point buck I shot was in the brush about 20 yds away. The 250 gr Speer put him down so fast it was like the Hammer of Thor. I will leave the .223's for prairie dogs. I am sure they work on deer but how they could kill faster or better than instantly is beyond me. Where I hunt the pressure from other hunters causes the deer to move mostly at dawn and dusk. I like to find my deer right away, not after somebody else is gutting it.
whelennut
Posted By: JD338 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/20/12
I have a M700 Classic with Vari-X II 2.5-8x36mm scope that has accounted for 17 WT and a 250 lb Black Bear.
The first 4 bucks were taken with the factory 200 gr SPSCL bullet back in '88 and '89.
In '90 I started using the then new 225 gr PT at 2650 fps and killed quite a few more deer. I only had to blood trail 2-3 deer and they were short and heavy. The rest dropped in their tracks.
[Linked Image]
JD338
Posted By: Steelhead Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/20/12
Originally Posted by whelennut
I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
One hundred bullets could last for generations. I used to play around with different bullets and came to the conclusion that deer can't tell much difference from a well placed shot with any bullet out there. The last 11 point buck I shot was in the brush about 20 yds away. The 250 gr Speer put him down so fast it was like the Hammer of Thor. I will leave the .223's for prairie dogs. I am sure they work on deer but how they could kill faster or better than instantly is beyond me. Where I hunt the pressure from other hunters causes the deer to move mostly at dawn and dusk. I like to find my deer right away, not after somebody else is gutting it.
whelennut

Compelling
Posted By: rem141r Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/21/12
i have one of the ultra rare rem 7600 factory carbines in whelen. it is my favorite deer gun. professional trigger job, bushnell 3200 2-7x32 and it is sweet. i use 200 grain rem factory loads and it devastates deer and shoots into 1 hole at deer ranges.
Posted By: djs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/22/12
Tell me some stories?

Too much for whitetails?

Stories? OK, here's mine.

When I was a kid in the 1940's, I had an uncle who owned a large Buick dealership in northern NJ. Each year he'd take 4 weeks off an go elk hinting in Wyoming (this was in the 1920's, '30's and '40's and he took a train each way). He had a gun cabinet with 6 Griffin and Howe Model 70 rifles in various calibers plus several Colt Single Actions! The 35 Whelen was my favorite due to the wood grain in the stock.

He promised me that one day, I could have my pick of one of the rifles. On his death, my family traveled to NJ for the funeral and I saw that the cabinet was empty; the contents going to his kids (as it should be). I was heart broken.

About three years ago, I bought a Remington Model 700 in 35 Whelen and am happy. Scary accurate!
Posted By: HawkI Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/22/12
One can alter the 35 Whelen into a "shock" round, without speed....

I've seen it kill lung shot hogs quicker than a 224 and 243 rifles with BT's, simply by using cast flat softnosed bullets at a sedate 2,500 fps....

What bullets do really matters, almost like field points and broadheads to an archer....

It reminds me of guys bitching about their .223's when all they ever use is 55gr. ball.
Posted By: mike103 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/22/12
Like NH K9 I bought both a 7600 carbine in 35 rem and a 7600 rifle in 35 Whelen in '03 or '04 can't remenber.

I shot one buck, one coyote and one bear with the whelen.

All were shot in the neck/ head so it would not matter what I used.

But I find the 35 rem kills much harder than one would think.

I am using my AR this year to shoot a deer.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/22/12
And my Whelen ain't going anywhere, one of my favorites, just not for deer.

Agreed. My 270 has become my "go-to" rifle for deer in recent years. And that 50+ yr old .243 sitting in the safe is starting to look better and better! crazy

WN
Posted By: djs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by JD338
I have a M700 Classic with Vari-X II 2.5-8x36mm scope that has accounted for 17 WT and a 250 lb Black Bear.
The first 4 bucks were taken with the factory 200 gr SPSCL bullet back in '88 and '89.
In '90 I started using the then new 225 gr PT at 2650 fps and killed quite a few more deer. I only had to blood trail 2-3 deer and they were short and heavy. The rest dropped in their tracks.

So true.
Posted By: Longbeardking Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/23/12
Is there such a thing as "too dead"? grin

I picked up a 7600 myself but haven't had a chance to shed any blood with it. I figure if my 35 Remington works, the Whelen should be "that much" better!

George

Great minds think alike. I also have a mdl 760 in 35 Rem and an early 7600 35 Whelen with 760 wood. I look at it as a 35 Rem. Mag. grin grin grin
Posted By: whelennut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/25/12
[quote=whelennut]I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
whelennut

Compelling

Profound grin
Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/25/12
Originally Posted by whelennut
[quote=whelennut]I have only killed a few (dozen) deer with my 700 Classic in 35 Whelen but I have never had to shoot one twice.
whelennut

Compelling

Profound grin

Astute. smile
Posted By: whelennut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/26/12
The only problem with 35 Whelen deer stories is that they are so short. Just like the bloodtrails. You shoot , the deer dies, end of story.
Get yourself some Imr 4320 and some 225 gr. Noslers and be ready for big critters. I have some 275 gr Barnes Originals I am saving for escaping circus tigers.
The 225 gr. Sierra is very accurate in my rifle. All of the bullets have worked well on deer. This cartridge is a win/ win. Just go hunting!
Posted By: Orchemo Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/26/12
35 Whelen verses 5 x 5 Elk

Took this bull two weeks ago. 40 yard shot in left side of chest, hitting a rib, then separated the heart basically into two pieces, then took out the opposite shoulder. The bullet did not exit the skin , but what was found just indside the skin on the should you can see. The should bones were total destroyed.

Elk ran about 30 yds. Somewhere I have the Accubond. Will post a pic when I find it.

The rifle is a Rem 700 with a B&C Alaskan stock with a Leupold 2.5-8x35. Great carry package.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: whelennut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 10/26/12
Orchemo,
Fantastic picture and story.!
Whelennut
Posted By: Orchemo Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 11/16/12
Here is a picture of the Nosler 225 gr AccuBond I retrieved from this elk.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hunter8mm Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 11/16/12
Nice want to try that bullet in my norma.
Posted By: duckster Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 11/19/12
I like the 225 gr. Sierras for a deer bullet in the .35 Whelen.

I took these two hogs with the Whelen and 225 gr. Sierra at approx. 2650 fps. Shot the first, DRT and then the second one just stood there a bit too long.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
A lot of good knowledge, and good reads from this post! Thanks for all of the information on this subject. I guess you are a .35 caliber fan...... or you are not! My original post was very open to discussion and I have learned a great deal reading everything. I have became a more believer with my own personal hunts with this caliber of rifle!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19

Here is one Whelen'ized (whatever the [bleep] that is) deer.

[Linked Image]

He went a good 150 yards. I caught up and could see the bullet hole where it should be on the offside, but the deer weren't impressed. Took a good couple of minutes for it to die. Of course part of the problem was that the 225gr Ballistic tip didn't expand.

I've got a few more less than impressed deer pics with the Whelen. I also recall one that went ass over teakettle with a shot straight on.

They seem to impress bear a bit more than deer and moose even more so.

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that one certainly don't need 200+ grains to kill a deer and burn 60grs of powder to do it.

I'll be ML hunting again this fall, the 54 that I bought came with 100 or so 540gr Maxiballs. I laughed when I started doing the math, the total combined weight of bullets used to kill the last 6 critters is 562grs.

If folks want to believe that the Whelen is some sort of magic wand, I'm happy for them, but don't tell me it tastes like French vanilla ice cream and expect me to eat it with a spoon.

I’d think that the 180 grain TSX would be very effective on Deer.
Posted By: vapodog Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
Tell me some stories?

Too much for whitetails?

killed my first bull elk with one.....my Leica said 301 yards and my home made Mauser was held at the top of the elk's back.....one 225 grain partition later my very first elk was in the bag.

Too much for whitetails?.....anything bigger than a .243 is that.....but we use them don't we?
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
More reads equal more knowledge.....my original post was seven years old. I have learned a lot.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
Good thread. I just bought my first Whelen and I'm trying to learn more about what the hell I should be using. I don't reload, so I need to stick to factory stuff. Gonna try a couple of things and see what it likes. My scope should be here today.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
Randall Redman rebored a pre'64 M/70 to .35 Whelen for me nearly 30 yrs. ago, it has been my go to whitetail rifle ever since. My load was the Sierra 225 gr. Game King over IMR 4064, it was accurate and performed well on deer as did the 225 gr. Nosler BT. While doing some load development in advance of last year's season I came across a Ken Waters Pet Load utilizing the Hornady 200 Gr. RN bullet with IMR 3031. Accuracy with his load was outstanding often producing 3 shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yds., I used this load to take a KY 7pt. buck at 100 yds.. A quartering shot just ahead of the last two ribs completely penetrated and lodged just under the skin on the far side. The bullet was a classic mushroom and retained 122 gr., the buck traveled approx. 40 yds before piling up entangled in a barb wire fence. When I field dressed that buck the contents of the chest were liquified, never seen that kind of devastating shock. Needless to say this load is now my go to load for whitetail.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/23/19
I know at least 5 guys here in Alaska that use the Whelan as there "got to". They all shoot the 225 grain Accubond and I don't recall more then one shot being used on any of their moose and caribou. My one friend has a tricked out Rem. 700 with the big Burris scope, the one that weighs a ton and ranges the target and the shooter puts the red dot on the target and presses the trigger. The trigger is scary light in my opinion, but he like it.

He keeps a vid on his smart phone of him banging and clanging the 800 yard ram at the local range. The most impressive one is calling the shot when he shoots it in the nose. Wish I could do that with my 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least I can hit the ram.
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
He keeps a vid on his smart phone of him banging and clanging the 800 yard ram at the local range. The most impressive one is calling the shot when he shoots it in the nose. Wish I could do that with my 6.5 Creedmoor, but at least I can hit the ram.

No worrys. The nose shot is way over rated. smile
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/24/19
This caliber (.358) has turned a solid into a liquid !
Posted By: moosemike Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/24/19
Originally Posted by djs

Campfire gold right there! What he didn't realize is that the Whelen is the "more" that he was referring to.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/26/19
On page 205,"Keith's Rifles for Large Game".....skin was 10-4x9-8; Snug Harbor ,Alaska, 1937 and the 35 Whelen, 57 gr 4064 with 275 gr WTCCO bullet. If it was good enough for Elmer...….

For some reason something about the bear made Elmer think it may have been a grizzly instead of a brown bear. One of the few things Elmer ever said in print that has me scratching my head.

Long or far, with the right load in the right place makes that .35 Whelan a great all around game getter.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/28/19
I like the 35 Whelen Ackley version the best, just something about that 40 deg shoulder/straight case that does it for me. I have always used Barnes 250X and 200X. The standard Whelen can do just as well, especially with the newer powders. I always liked how it kills just as well as the medium magnums but with less fuss.
Posted By: whelennut Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/30/19
Just right! I bought the 700 Classic. The other rifles
are getting dusty.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/30/19
I got a 35 Whelen set up last year, but didn't get time to air it out much before having to travel, then didn't have time to get it set up for hunting when I got back. Looking forward to taking it out and doing some shooting and hunting with it this year. Have 200 and 225 AB, 225 PT, among others. I also have several cast bullet moulds, including an NOE Hammer that casts a 315gr FP that I cast hard enough out of a proprietary alloy (SSS) to push at 80-90% of full pressure (low to mid-50's kpsi). If they shoot, I'll pack them for elk, and try to get one in the timber and at a steeply raking shot. I doubt any elk I can shoot will stop that bullet at 2100 FPS MV. SD is ridiculously high, mid-.3's
Posted By: WAM Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/30/19
I’ve owned a .35 Whelen 700 Classic since 1989, since restocked with a beater 700 BDL walnut stock. I always imposed a 250 yard limit on shots on elk with Fed 225 gr TBBC factory loads at 2,600 fps. In 2008, I was trying to get a clear shot on a bull weaving in and out of oak brush on the opposite hillside. It wandered sidehill and I was getting anxious for the shot so I fired without checking the range again. The bull dropped at the shot at a laser measured 308 yards with a pass through and lungs turned to jelly! With the right load and scope like a cds turret, it is a 300-400 yard elk rifle for sure! I usually hunt elk with my .300 Weatherby or 7mm Weatherby of late, but need to dust off the old reliable .35 Whelen soon.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 01/30/19
..........................is a butt stomper, I shoot 250gr MidwayUSA blems and Partitions to 2600 fps in a JES rebored pre-64 model 70, that rifle is one of the most non-picky guns I've ever loaded for, when I get this batch of brass shot up, i'll build a load with the 250's at a full 2700 fps with Alliant Power Pro 2000 powder, that'll be some serious slap down from the '06 sized case.
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/03/19
My CDL is not picky at all.....it shoots them all the same! The most accurate rifle I have ever touched.
Posted By: vapodog Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/03/19
it is a 300-400 yard elk rifle for sure!

Yup.....it sure is and carries serious energy out there as well.....
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/03/19
You guys sound like a Whelen is great. It is so old it was invented in 1922. Guess maybe they get better with age. Like wine? Come on Steelhead, make a xxxxx comment. Rusty
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/04/19
Originally Posted by gunner500
..........................is a butt stomper, I shoot 250gr MidwayUSA blems and Partitions to 2600 fps in a JES rebored pre-64 model 70, that rifle is one of the most non-picky guns I've ever loaded for, when I get this batch of brass shot up, i'll build a load with the 250's at a full 2700 fps with Alliant Power Pro 2000 powder, that'll be some serious slap down from the '06 sized case.

Did you find published data that will do that???
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/04/19
Hunted with a guy that shot a nice buck with his 300 win mag. The buck turned and ran up over the next hill. We finally found him dead. Upon gutting that buck we found a perfect double lung shot and a small hole in and out. That same bullet worked great on the Elk he killed the year before. The bullet was the Barnes TSX 180 gr. Nothing wrong with the rifle or the bullet,just not the right setup for deer.
Posted By: ErichTheRed Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/04/19
My 77 mkII Ruger 35 Whelen with RL15 would do 2600 fps fine with a 250 gr RN Hornady but at 2620-2630 primers would start to flatten and at 2650 fps the boltface would be printed on the brass. ( to much of a good thing). I keep it under 2600 fps. Moose take notice when hit.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/07/19
I've had good luck with Reloader 15 as well...… curious about the mention of Alliant Power Pro 2000 powder... one of the newer ones IIRC.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/07/19

Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Originally Posted by gunner500

Did you find published data that will do that???

For the "non-believer"

BTW - I'm currently seeing what CFE-223 will do with the 250 NPT.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Judman Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/07/19
If that’s obtaineable, that would be a hammer!!!
Posted By: WAM Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 02/07/19
I’m getting 2,746 fps avg velocities with CFE 223 over GM210M primers in Federal cases using Speer data for 220 gr bullets with my 225 gr NP out of a 22” barrel. Best accuracy I’ve obtained with a NP well under 1” at 100 yards. I’m a fuzz under max powder load, too.

I’ve not shot game with that NP load but it should do the deed. Happy Trails
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
I don't have a lot of data on loads.......but I can tell you....once you open the body cavity...... just roll over and drain out!
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen. Have taken whitetails with both the 200gr Remington factory load and handloads using the wonderful Speer 220gr flat nose. The 200gr factory loads are soft shooting and easier on my shoulder than my 30-06. The 220gr kicks more....either kill very cleanly. Great cartridge the 35 Whelen.
Posted By: bluefish Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
I threatened to buy a M70 supergrade with the prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen in a factory gun and sell it to a buddy of mine at a steep profit if he did not buy the gun which he did. A beautiful Winchester for sure. Anyway, he rebarelled to the Colonel's cartridge and that is one shootin' sumbitch. It came out about a pound heavier than I would prefer but it is one damned fine rifle.
Posted By: 340mag Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
[Linked Image]
I purchased a rem 7600 in cal 35 whelen as soon as I found one advertised,
I had a 1917 endfeild, bolt action in 35 whelen for 45 years,
both have frequently been my back-up rifle on elk hunts,
every time Ive loaned out the 7600 the guys want to buy it from me,
over about the last 25 years 4 members of my hunt club purchased one., after trying mine,
it would be more if they were not so hard to find.
the browning BLR in 358 win is also a strong favorite,
and yeah, the 250 speer bullets work great
we use, 44 grains of imr 4064 under that 250 speer in a 358 win
we use, 53 grains of imr 4895 under that 250 speer in a 35 whelen
btw theres only about a 200 fps difference in velocity with the 250 speers,
between the two rifle calibers, and both are very effective on elk
Posted By: pete53 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
yep the 35 WHELEN is a great cartridge i just need to find one in a Remington 700 , Ruger 77 or Ruger #1 thats in good shape and a decent price someday ! great stories and replies on this post. Pete53
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
If you want the higher end velocities just have a good smith ream it out to the Ackley Improved. You can either run 250s at 2550 or so with less pressure than the standard OR you can run the 250 at 2750 with higher pressure, up to you! Myself, I only knew what "pressure signs" to look for with a standard rifle cartridge when I began with the 35 Whelen Ackley. I just went up until I saw "flat primers and ejector marks on the case head then backed off to best accuracy. I hunted with those loads over 20yrs. When I had a friend input all the right data in quickLoads, I was running right at 72K pressure! Now, I always used new, fireformed brass, seldom shot a hunting load case more than twice. Never had an issue, but "for me" I felt it was time to move on to a "standardized" round, the 338WM, for a Medium. I could have backed down my WAI loads, but hey, been there, done that, liked the way it killed "at those higher pressures. I have been legally blind in my non shooting eye since 2002, so I just didn't want to take a chance on any "fluke chances" of hurting my good eye, ha. I like to load to the "potential" of any case design, not load them down. If I want less, I get a smaller round. To each his own. I will add that these new powders are marvelous, and really, a 24" standard Whelen can reach some great speeds with safe pressures. By that, I mean load it to .270 Winchester pressure levels. Probably all the stomp ( or flat shooting with the 180-200gr) one can hold onto in a light rifle! Its a good round, no doubt about it.
Personally, I don't get the extra velocity in the Whelen. It does just what it does at 2400 fps with a 250 grain bullet.
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by bluefish
Personally, I don't get the extra velocity in the Whelen. It does just what it does at 2400 fps with a 250 grain bullet.

Absolutely correct! Accept the Whelen for what it is, and that is one damn fine cartridge. You don't need more, and if you think you do, get 338 WinMag or a 375.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
I agree that the Whelen is seriously effective on game without pushing for extra velocity. I have 30 years experience with 3 Whelens that have made me a believer.
The factory stuff from Remington has always chrono'ed slow, but I have never heard anyone claim anything but success with the old fashioned Corelokts.
I took several dozen whitetails, in my early years, with 200 gr Hornadys over 55 gr of 3031. C&C's perform pretty well at Whelen velocities.
Having said all that, My current go to load uses 250 gr Partitions over Varget. Accuracy has been excellent with RL15, 4064, well just about every appropriate powder I've trialed.
The looney in me recently loaded up some of Speers hotter recommendations. Accuracy continues to be a delight with the Power Pro 2000MR, particularly at 200 yards with my CDL. Shoulder problems have cropped up, so I haven't been able to chrono them. I'll get that solved some day soon.
Also trialed a batch of Horn 250 gr RN over 8208. Also accurate, particularly out of the Rem 750. Never shot any big game with a RN bullet, so this combo might just do it.
I suspect lots of folks are underestimating the full capabilities of a Whelen. It ranges out there better that you might expects.
A 250 gr bullet flying through the air is a seriously deadly missile, even more so if it happens to be a Partition. Nothing I wouldn't hunt in North America, with my Whelen, and be confident that it will get the job done.
One of the late forum members over on AR, crazyhorseconsulting, had a rebarreled Ruger 77 with a 26 inch Shaw tube he used exclusively with 225 TSXs. I used it once on a hog hunt and it was a meat hammer.
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by pete53
yep the 35 WHELEN is a great cartridge i just need to find one in a Remington 700 , Ruger 77 or Ruger #1 thats in good shape and a decent price someday ! great stories and replies on this post. Pete53

I bought this last December. Had it sighted in with about 10 rounds. It shoots real nice with 200gr Hornady Superformance in a 1" group at 100 yards. Hopefully I'll be able to kill something with it this fall.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

I bought this last December. Had it sighted in with about 10 rounds. It shoots real nice with 200gr Hornady Superformance in a 1" group at 100 yards. Hopefully I'll be able to kill something with it this fall.

[Linked Image]

Where do you wanna go? Maybe I'll go with you!
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/29/19
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

[Linked Image]

Where do you wanna go? Maybe I'll go with you!

Haa, I've got my secret spot. We could always invade Joe's woods though, but it's pretty thick. He hardly hunts it anyway.
Posted By: MGunns Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/30/19

[Linked Image]

What a beauty!
Posted By: onelostsoul Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 05/31/19
My .35 Whelen is not picky at all.....it will cut holes all day long! It will cut holes with whatever you feed it! The most accurate rifle that I have ever fired
Posted By: Buzz412 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 07/28/19
I don't load my own. I've used only Barnes 200 grain ttsx, rem code lokt 250 grain and 310 grain double tap weldcore. All shoot well enough to put in the vitals at reasonable ranges. I think at would kill anything walking anywhere put in the right spot.
Posted By: Buzz412 Re: .35 Whelen.......... - 07/28/19
Rem 7600 1/16 twist
© 24hourcampfire