Home
Posted By: czech1022 Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
I have a Ruger Ultralight in 243 and I'd like to start handloading for it. I'm looking for something that will do the trick for everything from antelope to (occasionally) large deer. I'm getting to the point in life where I want a single load for each rifle - 115 Nosler Partition for my 257 Roberts, 140 TSX for my 7mm-08, 150 Accubond for my 30-06, etc.

For the 243, I like the idea of a slightly lighter and faster bullet than the traditional 100gr/2960 fps (although I'll listen to any suggestions). I have a friend who has used the Hornady 87gr BTHP "loaded at fast as it will go" for many years and has killed everything up to elk (14 at latest count) with it in a 22" barreled Sako.

What I don't like about his load is the fact that he states that if you hit bone at relatively close range, it can result in "bloodshot meat in everything from shoulder to hip". I really hate wasting meat.

I'll probably be using H100V, since I have some on hand. In the Hodgdon load data, it can push an 80gr Hornady GMX at 3300 fps, the 85gr TSX at 3267 fps, the 90gr Speer softpoint at 3204 fps and the 95gr Nosler Partition at 3113 fps.

Now, my Ruger only has a 19" barrel, so I know I'll lose a bit of velocity, but there should still be an all-around load that will serve my needs.

How about it? What's your opinion on one bullet and one powder in the 243 for antelope, whitetails and big muleys?
80TTSX and IMR or H4350
IMR 4350 and 80 grain Nosler ballistic Tip or Barnes TTSX
I wouldn't shy away from the 95 Ballistic Tip and one of the 4350s.
H100V seems to beat out H4350 by about 100fps with similar bullets. Is there some advantage to 4350 that I don't know about?
Originally Posted by czech1022
H100V seems to beat out H4350 by about 100fps with similar bullets. Is there some advantage to 4350 that I don't know about?

Over your chrono, or in the books? I haven't tried H100V.

It's real easy to get super accuracy with a 4350 and 90-100 gr. class bullets.
From the Hodgdon web site.
Posted By: rod44 Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
85 grain Barnes Triple Shock and H380.
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
85gr Nosler Partition
czech1022,

It would depend on the temperature ranges you hunt in. H4350 is MUCH more temperature-resistant than H100V.

When I tested H100V with 165-grain bullets in the .30-06 at 70 and 0 Fahrenheit, it lost almost 176 fps. There goes your 100 fps advantage.
Posted By: efw Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
95 gr NBT & Hunter or Magnum.
OK guys, let's narrow this down. I'm sold on H4350. So forget the powder, concentrate on the bullet.

Write ONLY about your actual experience with a particular bullet and why you recommend it: 80 GMX, 80 or 95 NBT, 95 Partition or 85 TTSX.

Thanks for all responses so far!

The Sierra 100 SMP was my 'go-to' bullet in the 6mm when I had one - and it really worked well on caribou. If anything, the 95 NPT was even more impressive however when it came to 'watching the show'. The times I used that bullet on caribou resulted in "down-right-now" kills every time. The 95 (or 85) NPT would be my choice for a single load in the 243 for hunting.
If you ddn't have that dink 19" barrel I'd say 7828 and 100 gr Horn SP and soldier on, but by having a short tube I'd probably try to squeeze as much vel and accuracy out of a 95 gr NPT as I could get. Magnum Man
Posted By: FC363 Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
95gr Ballistic Tip.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
Remington, or Sierra 80-grainers in the .243, because I have a reduced-recoil load that'll get near 2,700 fps, using IMR SR 4759. Great for gettin' folks started with centerfires, and never failed to kill what it hit. (very light recoil)

I see no reason the Hornady GMX, in 80-grain wouldn't work, and would offer the added benefit of being sensible with the H4350 at much higher velocities (over 3,100 fps). In fact, once my current stock of 80-grainers is gone, I'm headed that direction.

Granted, an 80-grain bullet doesn't make the .243 a 500-yard rifle, but then again, neither does a 100-grain bullet.
Another vote for the 95gr ballistic tip
Posted By: keith Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
Save yourself a lot of money, the 90g Speer is the way to go. SChitt is not hard to kill, just place your shot or don't pull the trigger.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
I waffle on 'Best' in this cal.

Often shoot the 95BT, but killed w/70 TNTs, son has w/85 BTHP, used 100 Partition, 105 Amax - all on deer, all worked.

So the 95 BT is typically my go to, but I have some 80 TTSX loaded now....and want to put a few under my belt. Convinced for ME, these 2 are the ultimate, my biased opinion wink

That said, look here at the 85 TSX I dropped a hog, those work as well as an 80TTSX I am sure, actually that may have been the Boatail 'x' or XBT which I think is about the same in terminal performance. But take a look at the link below. Scroll down for story/pics.

I will say this, if you shoot LONG Distances, a Barnes may not be ideal, a softer bullet like the 95BT, along w/it's higher BC and weight, will hit harder, no matter under 300 yds or perhaps some further. My kill below was 240 yds from a 20" bbl, at 3100 mv.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ger_1_International_Who_has_#Post3091822
`85 grin TSX
95-100 gr of your choice. I have had great luck with the standby 100gr core loct.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
If limited to one bullet, I would pick the Sierra 85 gr HPBT. It is my tried and proven bullet. It also works with 4350. I have used it for over 30 years on a whole wide range of game and varmints.
Do you hunt where it's windy? What's your maximum shot distance for hunting situations? Do you have a habit of trying to shoot animals lengthwise from the rear to chest?

If you don't go for Elmer Keith shots (rear end shots) and you hunt where the wind blows, then you might consider one of the Berger hunting bullets (87 or 95 grain depending on the twist of your gun).
It may seem like heresy, but, I have settled on the Sierra 100 gr Pro Hunter. I use it for everything from woodchucks to deer.
95 NBT has killed and killed and killed pleny of deer for me.
The more critters I see killed by my clients, and shoot personally the less I think it matters.

That said I love partitions.
my fil likes the 100gr hornadys i load for his marlin. very accurate. his coyote load with 55gr bal tips at around 4000 fips is unbelievably accurate. less than half inch for 5 shots.
for me, it's a handloaded 100gr nosler partition. i have no idea as to speed, but it kills deer and hogs quite dead.
Posted By: WPAH Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/11/13
I shoot the 85gr Sierra flat base out of my Ruger 243. It works well on deer. Should be light and fast enough for varmints.

My rifle was not accurate with 75gr hp, 100gr Hornady fb, 95 gr Nos bal tip, Federal factory 100gr Nos sb.
100 gr partition. Little extra on the bullet but nice to have when a black bear walks by in VA.
We just get to wave at the black bears.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/12/13
I've pretty much standardized on the 95 Partition out of my 18" barreled .243.

Over the past 30 plus years I've used most all of the standard 100 grain bullets on deer and hogs and they all pretty much worked. The only one I personally won't use anymore is the 100 grain Sierra BTSP. That one is a tad fragile in my experience, but that is just me. The 100 grain Horn is another good one and saw allot of use out of my rifle.

Now that mine gets used more by kids that hunt with us the 95 partition is all I use anymore.
Posted By: johnw Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/12/13
i'd pick either the 85 gr sierra game king or the speer 90 spitzer...

have used both a fair bit and both are stunningly accurate bullets that have never failed on game.

actually have a lot more experience with the 85 bthp gameking, and have used it on whitetail, muleys, antelope, black bear, hogs, coyotes, fox, coons, and just numerous truckloads of game.

there was a time when i spent more time hunting than i did on the internet.
different world...
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/12/13
80 TTSX

I prefer the TTSX to the 85 TSX as I believe that the tip will more reliably initiate expansion over a wider speed range.
Posted By: Ken14 Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/12/13
85 Sierra HPBT....IMR 4350..deadly combo.
I love Nosler bullets but what I dont get is why they consider the 80 grain nbt a "varmint" bullet and the 90 grain for big game? Every sectioned 80 looks just like the 90. Or is it a marketing ploy? I know some say all ballistic tips are for varmints but I have had some good results on game...
I would vote for the 95 Ballistic Tip. Has anyone ever had sub-par performance from it???

I plan to try the Hornady 85 Interbond this next year. IF it shoots accurately, and expands plenty wide, and holds most all its weight, and the advertised ballistic coefficient is true, THEN it just might be the best bullet to maximize what the 243 can do on deer.

I would not use any of the monos if you are a lung shooter. The TTSX, for example, expands just fine, but it doesn't expand big enough to get a quick kill with a lung shot. I was very dissatisfied with my experience with the 80 TTSX in that application. If you always hit bone, it would work. Having used the monos in 30 cal a bunch, I expected a lot more.
With your other caliber / cartridges, I'd load for varmint.
There is that.....

But the 243 allows for flat shooting with light recoil with enough power to kill deer well--and no heavier chambering puts that combo together quite so well, not even the 25-06.
Posted By: CLB Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/13/13
I prefer the heavier Nosler options and I shoot 95 grain Ballistic Tips and 100 grain Partitions out of my 240 Bee....
I swore by the 85gr Sierra HPBT for a do all in the 243 until I started shooting the 95gr BT. The 95gr BT is a great bullet is outstanding out of the .243.
my problem is, I can't think of any BAD bullets in 6mm from 85 grains to 105 grains....from any of the big manufacturers..

sure some may work better than others, but as far as I am concerned.. they work well enough, especially on deer sized game and down, that all the newer 'premium bullets' are over kill..

and of course there is a market for 'overkill' in the world of hunting... I'm not part of it, but won't knock the ones who are... at least not too much.. grin

the best bullet for the 243 is the bullet that shoots best in your gun behind the load that will make it do so... and that can easily have More than one answer to it...

so look on the bright side, there is no real wrong choice... if only the rest of life was that easy to answer..
My .243 is my favorite rifle, and I have tried most of the bullets listed so far. They all work quite well. The one I settled on is the 70 gr. Nosler BT. I know its a varmint bullet, but it almost always exits on bigger stuff, and so far it is like flipping a switch when you hit something with it.
Posted By: Ward Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/13/13
I loaded my first .243 round in 1976 with 90 grain Speer spitzers and simply shot stuff. It worked. Then I got a buy on a pile of Nolser seconds at the old Chet Paulson gunshop in downtown Tacoma. I bought enough to last for the next ten years and those worked pretty good, too. 4350 was the first and last powder I tried in the .243. Not a lot of expirementation but nothing to be unhappy about either.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Best single bullet for 243? - 01/13/13
85 grain Sierra bthp has worked great with IMR 4350 on everythign from coyotes, Whitetail and even a large hog. It is a favorite of old timers.

I like going to Midwayusa and reading reviews of different bullets.
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
My .243 is my favorite rifle, and I have tried most of the bullets listed so far. They all work quite well. The one I settled on is the 70 gr. Nosler BT. I know its a varmint bullet, but it almost always exits on bigger stuff, and so far it is like flipping a switch when you hit something with it.

I would like to hear more detail of your terminal results. There are a couple of others here who cite the same use and results as your report. I would like to know more, as I may load these in reduced loads for my daughter next year.
100 gr Hornadays and a jug of IMR 4350 will get er done.

I've killed deer with as little as the 70 HP - and don't recommend it, to the 100 gr NP. They all work, if directed properly and sensibly.

The Hornaday is inexpensive and works well...IMO
I've killed just about everything for years with the 85 grain Sierra bthp.
I've also killed a ton of hogs with a 100gr Remington Corelock.

Now I find the 80gr Barnes TSXbt is hard to beat. Also Partitions. Ballistic Tips are for Coyotes & Prairiedogs...

If I had to pick just one though, it would be the Barnes 80gr TSX
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by Huntingnut

I would like to hear more detail of your terminal results. There are a couple of others here who cite the same use and results as your report. I would like to know more, as I may load these in reduced loads for my daughter next year.

I run 'em at around 3400 fps (42 grs. Varget). I use that rifle for everything from groundhogs to deer, and a lot on coyotes. Terminal results are little stuff gets blown to crap, coyote and deer have a little hole in, vitals are sloshed and little hole out. And 4 legs sticking up in the air! I don't know that I would purposely hit a deer in the shoulder with one, but it ain't the end of the world if you do.
80 TTSX performs in a way that is out of proportion to it's weight.
© 24hourcampfire