Home
I have a line on several 300 SAUM rifles. What is your opinion of this caliber ???
The caliber I like, the cartridge not so much. I don't have a need for one. (full disclosure, I've never owned one myself, but two of my friends have)

Based on my observations I find that it needs a longer barrel than I like to reach it's full potential, and it's a barrel burner. One buddy thinks his kicks to much so doesn't shoot it enough to notice, but the other is a shooter and seems to have bore problems after just a few hundred rounds.
I have never really cared for the "new" short fat magnums. I don't see what they can do better that many other cartridges already well established can do. Ruger's line is not doing very well, if it floats your boat why not? For me I see no reason. A long action rifle works just fine for me.
It looks great. Almost as much case capacity of a 300WSM.
Think of it as a hot loaded 30.06 in a short action. A little less case capacity than the 300WSM but the case is shorter and that gives you a touch more flexibility in a short action.

I wouldn't sell a 30.06 to buy one, but if your looking for a 30 cal with that kind of power its as good as any.
I like the rum line and think they are fine chamberings never heard of them being barrel burners . But I only shot my 7. Saum six hundred or so times last year and can still get to the lands in a mod seven box .
I've got a 300SAUM M7. Accurate, easy to load for, likes IMR4831 with 180's and IMR4350 with 165's. Not everyone carries ammo is the only drawback.
[Linked Image]
I've never owned a 300 SAUM, but I've always liked the case design better than the WSM... slightly shallower shoulder (30* vs. 35*) and a true 2.800" SA. The WSM's are really a hybrid SA/LA.
I have read that the 7 SAUM case capacity about equals the .280 AI, so I would guess capacity in the 300 SAUM about equals the .30-06 AI. If acceptable pressures are about the same for the AI and SAUM, then performance would likely be similar, too.
I and the wife both shoot them. I think they a step from the 06 but not quite a 300Wm. Easy to load for and very accurate. We both have shot elk and deer with them. I can run a 150 gr. TSX at 3250 fps out of a 22" barrel, 3100+ with 165's and just short of 3000 fps with 180's. These are from a Model 7.
Needles to say we are happy with the 300 SAUM.
Hard to justify one, imo. In the same size action, why not to just go WSM? More brass, yadda, yadda...
Sorry, I shouldn't be on here when I'm sick. I failed to see that you said Saum. I was seeing/thinking RUM, which is what I was speaking of. I think the SAUM is probably a fine round in spite of it's unpopularity. And, if you ever get tired of your SAUM, you can have it reamed to WSM.
My thought... Buy a 300 win mag.
I've had two 7's and two 300's, liked 'em all, but moved on to something else that caught my fancy at the time.

For some reason I have hankerin' for another 7......
Guy at Range had a model 7, did not feed reliably.

Likie aalf - I'd pick a 7mm over the 300, but ONLY if proven to feed well, and assuming I had a good source of brass and/or ammo.

I'd go 300 WSM or WM over the SAUM if wanting a hot 30.

None are my cup of tea. Get a 300 WM or 7 RM and K.I.S.S. if you need reach on big game, IMO.
I built one for myself and my oldest Son. We like them alot. We shoot 165 and 180s in them. They both started as Mod 7s.
I guess I have too many and can't spend enough time with any of them.
The 300 SAUM is a fine round. I've found it to be easy to load for and mine is very accurate. The Model Seven Remingtons so chambered are prone to have feeding problems. The compact, staggered magazine and short, chubby brass make for a hard turn up and over to feed. A little stoning can improve the situation. A straight stacked magazine would help this.
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
I have a line on several 300 SAUM rifles. What is your opinion of this caliber ???
............As long as good brass availability is out there and a more compact shorter actioned rifle is preferred to hunt with on occasion depending on the terrain,,,,then why not a 300 SAUM?

As long as brass is readily available, I don`t see any realistic downside with owning a 300 SAUM.

I like mine. No feeding problems at all. 150s hammer whitetails and a 180 put the smack down on the only elk i have ever pulled the trigger on

Mine has a 23" barrel on a seven action. I simply think of it as a short action 30-06ai +p that is shorter than a 22" -06.

I shoot nosler custom ammo and it shoots really well
I have 2 300's and a 7 saum . I happen to really like the round. It is a more efficient case than the wsm milder recoiling than the wsm and I belive it is going to give you longer barrel life than the wsm and feed better than the wsm due to the milder shoulder. . Norma has just started to produce brass for the 300 saum because the 1000 yd guys have really taken a liking to it. On game performance , you couldn't tell the difference between it and any other 30 cal. I launch 180 gr TSX's out of mine at 2800 and I still can't get one to stop in anything.

You didn't mention what exactly you were looking for or hoping it would do, but if your looking for a 30 to hunt with for the rest of your life in a short action there's no flies on the 300 saum.
I had a M7 for a while and really liked it. Didn't recoil much more than a 30-06 and was an upgrade velocity wise. Ramshot Hunter worked well. Then I tried RL-17. I gained 50fps and ALOT more recoil. Made it miserable to shoot off the bench.

I used it for a while but came to the conclusion I could do the same things with a 30-06 or my 7Mag. It went down the road to help pay down some medical bills. If I was looking for a "magnum" I would get one and stock up on Brass.
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

I personally would prefer it over the Win version
Originally Posted by noKnees
Think of it as a hot loaded 30.06 in a short action. A little less case capacity than the 300WSM but the case is shorter and that gives you a touch more flexibility in a short action.

I wouldn't sell a 30.06 to buy one, but if your looking for a 30 cal with that kind of power its as good as any.

300WSM also fits in a short action.
Man I bought a Model 7 in 2009 to take to Alaska to hunt moose and sheep. I REALLY liked this rifle, had the bolt and barrel fluted thing handled really well and I could shoot it good and it shot good......then I ran my 168 grain TTSXs over the chronograph - loads that are booked in the 3,100ish range were not making 2,900fps. I know, it would have done just fine but when I was literally going on a hunt of a lifetime I was not willing to take that chance. Went with a .300 Weatherby instead - 180 grain Accubonds at 3,180fps and it performed as expected. Could have done the same thing with the 300SAUM on that hunt but just did not have the confidence in it. I sold that rifle to a friend and it is all he uses now.....I have been getting the itch for another one though, because i liked the way it handled......just my 2 cents wink
© 24hourcampfire