Home
Posted By: Buddha 7mm-08AI on Rem 700 Long Action - 02/12/13
I have a custom 7mm-08 on a short action but the longer bullets and the mag space won't allow me to set it out where I need to so that the best accuracy can be achieved. I wanna build a 7mm-08AI on a long action I have to get the room in the magazine and I really like the AI cartridges. What are your thoughts about this and what barrel length to you think is adequate for the built. I was thinking 23 to 24".
I'd take advantage of a 3.6" box and run a 280 AI or 7 Rem...
I consider a 700LA build on any form of the 308 case to be a poor decision. Tanner's suggestions of 280AI or 7mmRM sound better to me and are well suited to that action.
My hunting partner built a new long range .308 using a old 30-06, he is very happy with the results, using the added length expands the bullets he can load...
I have 2 7mm-08 AIs on 700 SAs. I get 2700 out of 162 Amax. Neither of mine have a Wyatts box...so I'm at 2.830 max. Accuracy is superb, but of course yours sounds to be throated long. I'd try a Wyatts before I went LA. And if that doesn't do it, build a 280, better yet....6.5-06 cool.
If using a 3.6" long action, go 284, 7x57, 7x57 AI, 280, or 280 AI. The 7mm-08 AI is still short on capacity to all these (except the 7x57), so why not use the extra length to your advantage?

Side note: I always thought a "long range" set-up of a 7x57 would be really cool. Blasphemy, but cool nonetheless crazy
I built a 7x57AI on a LA and had a 22 in Douglas XX barrel installed. I get that extra omph that I couldn't get from a 7x57. I have a Jewell set at 1.75lbs and a 3-12x42 Schmidt and Bender Klassic on top w/a #4 reticle. It has been my primary gun for the last 20 years and I get 3050fps w/ the 140gr BT W/56.0gr of RL19. You can take a little off of your bolt stop and take a smidge off of your action opening on the botom to give you another .015-.020 but other than that you'll either have to live w/it, get a Montanna action, or build on a long action. I had mine throated to 3.05 and the action by no means swallows the cartridge. powdr
I agree with the above, if using a long action, go 280ai. I would try the an aftermarket box like the Wyatt and see if this gets you what you are looking for.
I have built 7-08 &260 's n long actions with the idea of using long bullets and setting out to chase lands too. and still be able to loadm cases in the magazine it works I have not found any reason not to. Now for the na sayers I did this for silhoutte rifles in hunter class and you have to feed from the magazine . and don't need or want the velocity and recoil of the bigger cases
Thanks to all you guys comments. I like th 284AI idea or the 7x57AI idea.
I already have 2 280AI's. No need for the third. I guess I could do a 6.5-284 any thoughts there?
I like the efficiency of the 7-08 myself so wouldn�t object to using a long action, an AI version would be just a little more of a good thing imo. I�d go with a 24� barrel just for the extra fps; you could cut it down a lot easier than add a couple inches should the finished product not be to your liking.
Did you check on a Sako mid- sized action? I don�t know if it is different than the Ruger size wise, just a thought as Sako has made a few different length actions.
Why not Wyatt what you've got?
I just had a .284 win built on a Rem long action and couldn't be more pleased.
© 24hourcampfire