Home
I'm going to be putting a 5x20x44 Nikon Monarch on a Remington 700 LSS in 257 Weatherby, can you tell me your preferred rings and bases? Thanks.
For me? Talley LW, no doubt about it.
Talley makes some great mounts, particularly if you are looking to shave a bit of weight.
I have converted some of my rifles over to Leupolds QR system in recent years as they make it so simple to take a second scope, reliably sighted in) on a trip. They work, I trust them, but are on the heavy side.
If you want lightweight, look no further than Talley. When steel seems necessary, I've used Warne Maximas with no problems whatsoever.

I prefer Conetrol rings/bases.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I fitted Burris Signature rings and a one piece base to my 700CDL 7mm Rem Mag (fitted in a 700LSS stock)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Leupold dual dovetail is about as good as it gets..
Leupold reversible front dual dovetail bases and Burris signature rings.
Talley Steel or LW is first choice but the Conetrol & SKS are sleek looking units.
S&Ks,Talley Lightweights, or Leupold Dual-Dovetails, depending on the rifle. For that one, I'd probably go S&Ks.
I can't bring myself to put anything else on my rifles but Burris Signature rings, for a variety of reasons that have been discussed here many times. It's a brilliantly conceived design that works. On my project rifle, went with Leupold steel Weaver style bases for strength and looks.

IMHO, and FWIW, trimming weight...a couple ounces at best...at the scope mounts just seems like false economy to me.

[Linked Image]

(Kinda proud of this puppy! Rem. 700 25.06 Varminter, HS Precision stock, Williams bottom metal/trigger guard, Timney trigger, Leupold VX-II 6x18-40, Signature rings, Leupold bases, with target crown and rebluing by Ralph Martini's shop. Shoots pretty good, too.)
I use Millett rings quite a bit with the Leupold style bases and with Weaver style bases. I have really liked the Talleys the couple of times I've used them.

KC
S&K

Burris Signature med matte turn in dovetail

Burris or Leo 2pc std dovetail bases

Then if you ever want to sell the Nikon....

you will not have to say....'yes slight ring marks'
Originally Posted by sir_springer
I can't bring myself to put anything else on my rifles but Burris Signature rings, for a variety of reasons that have been discussed here many times. It's a brilliantly conceived design that works. On my project rifle, went with Leupold steel Weaver style bases for strength and looks.

IMHO, and FWIW, trimming weight...a couple ounces at best...at the scope mounts just seems like false economy to me.

I agree on the False enconomy issue. I prefer Talleys for the integrated design more than the weight. I stopped using multi piece ring/base combos quite a while back, except for rifles where I need the 20MOA. I have yet to regret that choice.
My favorites for a hunting rifle are (in no particular order):

Burris Signatures
Talleys
DNZ

I've also used Weaver, Leupold, and Optilocks but prefer the choices above.
Burris Signature Zee rings on quality two piece weaver type bases.

John
I like Talleys
Thanks guys, keep it coming. 6.5, which Talleys?
Forgot that part, I prefer the lightweights, but the 2-piece steels are also very good.
I just bought s&k' and can't imagine ever going back.

HOWEVER:

I said the same when I tried the lightweight Talleys- great set up

and said the same thing when I mounted the Burris Signatures for a friend

-before that was never disappointed in the Leupold dual dovetails.

All are great- it is a personal preference in looks and cost. Looking at my list ia also looking up a money tree - with the most ecpesive ornament on top.
I prefer Warne.
DNZ unless a vintage gun and scope setup, then Buehler's. DNZ's make life so nice.
EAW Quick Detachable
Originally Posted by Labman95
Leupold reversible front dual dovetail bases and Burris signature rings.

This!
Burris Signatures on Weaver-type bases work for me.

I have one of this combo in the works right now.

Paul
Warne is my number one choice
I use Warne bases and Burris rings
If you really mean "the best" then you gotta spend more than 1 bill per base and per set of rings ..
Nightforce makes the best rail type of base and their Ultra Light rings are better than anything mentioned so far .
I've used the double dovetail system before but your scope positioning is dictated by the ring location allowing minimal adjustments, I also had several sets of DD rings mis-aligned, they came with plastic inserts to prevent scope surface damage but in reality just hide the fact that the scope is sitting in a twisted position getting torqued and stressed with every shot, with the picatinny rail by Nightforce you have far more flexibility in ring/scope positioning and you can also get them in 20 and 40 moa for long range shooting, other types of mount systems don't give you that option, + ya can get a bubble level top ring for the Nightforce rings as an anti cant device to keep your rifle level... I have never had a set of Nightforce rings marr the finish on my scopes, only the cheap junk will do that to a scope .
Swamp--thanks, I was looking to spend between $100-$150 for the rings and base. Lately I have been using Talley's and was just wondering if the guys on the Fire like something better. Before that I used Leupold DD's. I have the Maxima/Warne's on my muzzleloader and really like them.
S&K's on a 700KS

Hard to beat these IMO.

[Linked Image]
Talley or DNZ are all I'll use anymore. The last thing I'd touch is anything with a dovetail.

There is nothing wrong with the Warne or even Weavers. But the simplicity and ruggedness of the Talley's and DNZ have won me over.
JMR40--which Talley's?
Another vote fo the Talley LW. That is all I use on Remingtons or Winchesters.
© 24hourcampfire