Home
Posted By: Tom2506 Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Hey All,
Just a quick question........anybody know about this ammo or have shot it?

Seems this is the only ammo available locally. TONS of 300 WinMag, 7mm Mag, '06 and 270.

Thanks, Tom
WTF are you talking about?
I think he ment slugs Ed.

If he ment thugs, I go no idea.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
I was wondering the same thing. He has it right. There is this new box of cheap ass ammo on the store shelves around here, walmart especially.

Called Deer Thugs. Heck if I know. Grey box.
I googled it, some kind of new Federal ammo relabeling. Looks like Wally World house label made by Federal. Probably a re box of the Blue box.
Posted By: Hubert Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Its a new rifle and ammo. the rifle is made by mossberg and will be sold by wally world.The ammo will be made by federal. it will be in all the common calibers..
Posted By: pahick Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded, probably fusions. Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!
I saw some on the local WalMart shelf today. The box said it was bonded. I am guessing it is a Federal Fusion.
Originally Posted by pahick
Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

A great big +1
Posted By: Huntz Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded, probably fusions. Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

Why???
My thoughts as well, Huntz.
Just because I don't do the same shooting deal they are doing should I wish their deal to "go by the wayside"?
WTH does "deer thugs" mean? Who is this being marketed to?
Maybe the next step will be the 9mm Vato, 40 Smith and Crip, or the 45 Colt Homie.
Sheez, marketing gurus.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
*snort*

Federal Thugs

Ahhhhh, never mind.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
After a short time to reflect, I like it.

Haven't bought a box of factory cartridges in a long while, but owning some Federal Thugs does have some appeal.
Just take the cartridges out of the offending box and toss it. Problem solved. Then go shooting...
...Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

+1 on that
Originally Posted by Huntz

Why???

Because its...childish...are you shooting zombies? Are you a "thug"? These items are tools use for wildlife management, defense, etc..not a game some pimple faced geek plays in front of their tv.

Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

Deer Thug=Today�s Hunters United for Good marketed by Mossy Oak. Who are they marketing to? My guess is the overly tattoo'd freaks with pierced lips, nipples and whatever else...or men with pencils dicks trying to overcompensate.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Wow! blush Guess I stepped in it with this one huh? whistle LOL

Thanks for the answers, Tom
The hip-hop-ification and rap-ification of nearly every segment of society is nauseating to some of us.

Sure, its opinion. No doubt.

But IMO the t"huglife, gansta rap hip hop" attitudes are, for the most part, about promoting drugs, laziness, crappy attitudes towards others especially but not limited to women, and it represents what I feel is a part of the decay of the moral compass of American society.

So it is my opinion that I'd like to see the collective crap that I consider that genre, and the lifestyle it espouses, to not permeate the outdoor sporting/shooting industry.

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Well said, good sir.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Maybe they're some sort of tribute to Ray Lewis's retirement.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
I know the feeling, I just don't understand ammo/gun makers when it comes to advertising.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
[quote=pahick]and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded....

Deer Thug=Today�s Hunters United for Good marketed by Mossy Oak. Who are they marketing to? ....

pahick;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool Sunday morning sir.

While I usually try to give manufactures the benefit of doubt in marketing their products, I can't support this one from Mossy Oak and Federal.

Despite the overuse of acronyms everywhere in our culture, the term "thug" has had a negative connotation in our language for more than 200 years.

Looking at it from the perspective of having been a Hunter Safety Instructor/Examiner for 20+ years, I can't conceive of a situation where I could explain to the non-hunting parents of a young hunter how being associated with anything named "thug" is positive.

Every year we do get non-hunting parents bringing sons and daughters in to become hunters here in BC, sometimes taking the course with their kids in support of them. While we try not to be overly PC in our language, we still need to be aware of the message we're sending to folks who are new to hunting.

Again, I can't envision how I'd begin to defend the use of the term "thug" as I'm attempting to articulate to one of those parents the reasons I'm compelled to head into the mountains every fall in the pursuit of protein for our family.

Anyway, if someone from either Mossy Oak or Federal wants to explain the rationale behind the use of that term to me I'll most certainly listen, but they'll have to be pretty convincing to change my mind at this juncture.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week pahick.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
I'm waiting for the Hi Energy homie ammo myself..
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
7STW;
Good morning Mike, it's good to see you out and about!

Hopefully all is going well with you all up there.

Thanks for the chuckle on the "Hi Energy Homie" laugh

Have a good week and stay safe out there.

Dwayne
You hate the rap stuff but if you could get your hands on a Thompson you would love to Rock and Roll.
What kind of image does the "Thug" label conjure up?

The gun culture is under daily attack and mouth breathing morons working in marketing are not helping.

I am not a "Thug". I am not raising my children to be "Thugs" or associate with anyone who is. I sure as hell am not going to promote or purchase "Thug Life" or "Thug Bullets". In fact I am not going to purchase anything from any company who markets such stupid crap.

What is next, a commercial spot on the MTV Hip Hop cell block reunion?

MS

Postscript: Does anyone have an email address for the president of Federal? I would not mind sending him a note.
I just don't understand ammo/gun makers all commercials when it comes to advertising.

Most advertisements will make me less likely to buy the product instead of more likely. Dr. Pepper and their queer looking male dancers made me never drink one again. There are others but I will not make a list of them. miles
Posted By: TakeEm Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13

+1000
IMO, it's in poor taste to use the term "thug" in connection with hunting. It's pretty hard to convince people the sport is about a love of wildlife, conservation and the outdoors when people are referring to themselves as "thugs" and such. As someone who deals with real "thugs" day in day out, I'm tired of this kind of crap. It appeals to the wrong kind of people. I'm not saying we need to all break out the tweed and british doubles but to me, hunting isn't about being "badass". We aren't gangsters, not at war with deer or anything else. I don't see what is wrong with calling it Fusion if that's what it is. There are enough people on the fence as it is, personifying and marketing the sport as "thugish" isn't going to help convince any non hunter who might wonder about the kind of people involved with it we aren't just a bunch of dumbazzes out there drinking beer planning to blow bambi into the next county with our gats.
I don't care if people use it, with all the tinfoil hat panic going on, it is hard to find ammo as it is. I just don't get the need to pander to and encourage this crap in our culture.
Mossy Oak�s Deer T.H.U.G.S. follows the hardest of the hardcore whitetail hunters to learn what they know that sets them apart. With weekly input from five of the most-experienced, authentic and whitetail-savvy hunters in the game, this series reaches to the core of the tradition and places hunters of every stripe alongside those most attuned to the ways of the whitetail. The dedication and devotion of hunters who, since the turn of the last century, are responsible for one of the most successful conservation efforts in history, continues to lead all outdoor pursuits in man hours spent managing, tending, growing and hunting whitetail deer. Featuring: Jimmy Riley, Kevin Burleson, Fred Law, Justin Eakins and Charlie O\'Brien.

[Linked Image]

If you go to their facebook page, you'll see their target demographic. It ain't hard to figure out if you don't.
Posted By: drahthaar Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Thug. def. noun. a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer.

Perfect to portray hunters in this light. The bad part is, it isn't written like T.H.U.G.S on all the crap they market. It is written as thugs. So what are you to think?

They are such badasses on their site. Laffin!
Hardest of the hardcore!!
Posted By: AKduck Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Screams d-bag.
These idiots have no clue as to what they're inferring with these terms. Disgusting. Based on the sorts of garbage you see on the outdoor channel I think Mossy Oak is likely run by fools and goons. I won't waste my time contacting them.

Federal on the other hand I think is more logical and probably willing to listen. I'll contact them. I'll point out the idiocy of being one of the biggest manufacturers for the MIL/LE market, yet labeling ammo that celebrates or glorifys criminal culture and paints a bad immage of us.

Or maybe I'll just ask for them to bring out some SS Panzer .30-30 rounds or perhaps a Buchenwald Belted Magnum line.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
I'd be much more likely to buy some "Federal FUDD Ammo" in a Filson plaid box than this stuff.

You think they'd call their hollow point pistol ammo "Vigilante" or "Pimp Hand"??

I'm not the type who thinks everything should be politically correct, but this stuff just borders on stupid. (Not to mention the fact that I DON'T need bonded ammo to kill a whitetail in Texas and it costs $6 more than the old blue box did).
Posted By: HawkI Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/24/13
Mossy Oak Deer Thugs Ammo.

Seems appropriate.

I know stereotyping isn't a PC thing to do, but I'd bet a sugar cookie Thug ammo was designed for the discerning hunter who baits, feeds, supplements antlers, video records and pretty much finds a way to get nutted up and harass deer 365 days of the year and call it "conservation".

Last time I checked, the best way to "conserve" an animal species is find a market for it and raise them as livestock....

But I digress, the last time I put down 8 prolapsed hogs I did it without cameras and facepaint...I coulda been a contenda...
If Federal is interested (and it appears they are), I'd suggest a line of MF'in G Hog Killa ammo.

I don't do facepaint, but for 100G's I'd wear a pig shaped clock and sport a gold toof for a box or two....
Originally Posted by BC30cal

pahick;
Hopefully this finds you and yours well this cool Sunday morning sir.

While I usually try to give manufactures the benefit of doubt in marketing their products, I can't support this one from Mossy Oak and Federal.

Despite the overuse of acronyms everywhere in our culture, the term "thug" has had a negative connotation in our language for more than 200 years.

Looking at it from the perspective of having been a Hunter Safety Instructor/Examiner for 20+ years, I can't conceive of a situation where I could explain to the non-hunting parents of a young hunter how being associated with anything named "thug" is positive.

Every year we do get non-hunting parents bringing sons and daughters in to become hunters here in BC, sometimes taking the course with their kids in support of them. While we try not to be overly PC in our language, we still need to be aware of the message we're sending to folks who are new to hunting.

Again, I can't envision how I'd begin to defend the use of the term "thug" as I'm attempting to articulate to one of those parents the reasons I'm compelled to head into the mountains every fall in the pursuit of protein for our family.

Anyway, if someone from either Mossy Oak or Federal wants to explain the rationale behind the use of that term to me I'll most certainly listen, but they'll have to be pretty convincing to change my mind at this juncture.

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming week pahick.

Regards,
Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne. All the best to you and yours as well. Seems your sentiments echo most others. Very poor choice of words to market. Hopefully their views change in the future.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13
Agree with many of these posts, this is embarassing for the shooting sports and difficult to defend.
Sometimes the enemy seems to be us.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13

Why???

Because its...childish...are you shooting zombies? Are you a "thug"? These items are tools use for wildlife management, defense, etc..not a game some pimple faced geek plays in front of their tv.

Deer Thug=Today�s Hunters United for Good marketed by Mossy Oak. Who are they marketing to? My guess is the overly tattoo'd freaks with pierced lips, nipples and whatever else...or men with pencils dicks trying to overcompensate.

Totally agree.
And 7 STW, that was funny.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13
you did not get the memo. What was right is now wrong and what was wrong is now right. You are part of a tiny and vanishing minority, the privileged members of our society love stuff like this.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13
[quote=pahick]and the "Deer Thugs" is Mossy Oak. The Federals are bonded, probably fusions. Wish all this damn zombie, deer thug, childish crap would go by the wayside!

Why???

You must be a joy to live with.It must bring you to tears to see people having a little fun.Childish,well maybe all of us could gain something by being a little more childish rather than growing up to be a full fledged azzhole. shocked
Posted By: Mr_Saw Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13
Originally Posted by HawkI

I don't do facepaint, but for 100G's I'd wear a pig shaped clock and sport a gold toof for a box or two....

Wow, read that too quickly the first time! whistle
Posted By: pahick Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/25/13

You must be a joy to live with.It must bring you to tears to see people having a little fun.Childish,well maybe all of us could gain something by being a little more childish rather than growing up to be a full fledged azzhole. shocked

Listen pole smoker, have you taken a look around lately? Theres some really [bleep] up people out there, willing to take your rights. You portray this stuff as "fun" and they turn it into something else. Besides these idiots, there are impressionable kids that look at this stuff and think its a game. Sperm burpers like you are too [bleep] dense to see the big picture and would sell the rest of us out for your "fun". Pound sand.
has anyone shot the stuff yet??????????????
and yes the tacky names they give products now are pretty bad....................................................
Posted By: Huntz Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/26/13

Listen pole smoker, have you taken a look around lately? Theres some really [bleep] up people out there, willing to take your rights. You portray this stuff as "fun" and they turn it into something else. Besides these idiots, there are impressionable kids that look at this stuff and think its a game. Sperm burpers like you are too [bleep] dense to see the big picture and would sell the rest of us out for your "fun". Pound sand.

Wow, get sand in your vagina???? You best remember take your meds.,cause you sure have a temper and probably should`nt own guns.You sure are a brave Keyboard Commando to blow up on the net over nothing.As to your comment on [bleep] up people you need to look in the mirror,you will see one looking back at you.Have a nice day!!!! grin
Originally Posted by Mr_Saw

Wow, read that too quickly the first time! whistle

(phew... thought maybe I was the only one! did a double take!)
Posted By: HawkI Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/26/13
Sickos.....we all know what you two would be doing for 100G's...
Posted By: Mr_Saw Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/26/13
Sickos.....we all know what you two would be doing for 100G's...

Just got new swampers. grin
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/26/13
Mossy Oak�s Deer T.H.U.G.S. follows the hardest of the hardcore whitetail hunters to learn what they know that sets them apart. With weekly input from five of the most-experienced, authentic and whitetail-savvy hunters in the game, this series reaches to the core of the tradition and places hunters of every stripe alongside those most attuned to the ways of the whitetail. The dedication and devotion of hunters who, since the turn of the last century, are responsible for one of the most successful conservation efforts in history, continues to lead all outdoor pursuits in man hours spent managing, tending, growing and hunting whitetail deer. Featuring: Jimmy Riley, Kevin Burleson, Fred Law, Justin Eakins and Charlie O\'Brien.

I could get all elaborate, but let's just say that the highlighted words above are enough to bounce my blood pressure up a notch or two.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 02/27/13
I noticed this stuff in Walmart a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find anything on Federal's website about it. (They are probably too embarrassed by the ridiculous new name to admit it is theirs.)
But looking at the .243 ammo at the store, I would bet that the bullets are not Fusions, but the Speer Deep Curls. The .243 is packing a 90 gr bonded bullet, and the Fusion has a 95 gr bullet. I have a box of the 90 gr Deep Curls and it sure looks like what the Deer Thugs are packing in the .243. This might also help to explain why Speer Deep Curl bullets are so hard to find. Any thoughts?
Posted By: Jaeger777 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/06/13
You are probably right about the bullets being Speer Deep Curls. The name comes from the TV show of the same name. Even Ted Nugent has a line of ammo with his name on it which he says is available "everywhere" and which I've never seen anywhere.
Federal Thug ammo.................on store shelves? What happened, did the gov contracts finally get filled? grin
Crockettnj,

You took the words right out of my mouth!!! It is more than an opinion, it is a fact that the morals in this country are on the sever decline.

Calling hunters THUGS is not a very good idea, that is an opinion!

HeavyBarrel
Posted By: jt402 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/06/13
Agree that Thugs, Zombie, and etc. is BS. I suppose that I am just an ignorant old codger. I ldid not know that one had to wear camo to hunt dove or deer until I was well past 65. A host insisted that I must wear at least a camo shirt to shoot dove and was generous to provide me with a cap and a tee shirt. Then my kids (always style conscious ) started gifting me nice camo shirts, brush pants, vests,and jackets for occasions such as Father's Day, birthday, and etc.

Wonder how many birds, deer, and varmints I have killed over the years wearing the old Texas hunting uniform (khakis or jeans and a drab shirt) or even a white shirt and slacks for a quickie dove shoot after work or school. I know, it is heresy, but it worked before the game and Madison Avenue wised up! Jack
Posted By: mog75 Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/07/13
I can't imagine wtf they are thinking. All it will take is one peta member walking through sporting goods at walmart. Here's the link. http://www.federalpremium.com/company/contact_us.aspx
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/07/13

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

So, this is deer hunting's "best" today? Cripes no wonder this country is in trouble.

I'll bet they hunt from tree stands over food plots. grin
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/07/13
Bob, I grew up with, went to school with and hunted with Jimmy Riley for years. He's a good friend.

This guy was hunting when he was 5. He lives it.

If you could see the animals he has taken (most with bow) at just regular hunting clubs, you'd be impressed...

I'm sure he has shot a few out of stands or over plots, but he's killed a schit load of trophy whitetails off of the ground with a bow.

If you've ever tried it, you know it ain't easy.

He's a terrific turkey hunter (uses bow only) and I'd bet he puts in more time outdoors than any 3 people here.

He's a class act, humble and the best hunter I know.

JM
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Federal Deer Thugs Ammo? - 08/07/13
JM if you say these guys know what they're doing then I will buy in... wink
I rarely shoot factory loads in CF rifles, but I bought a box of the 165g Deer Thugs in 308 Win for the heck of it to see how they shot in a new rifle. I also was low on brass and it was twds the beginning of the panic and hard to find any. Not impressed, I shot 4 groups with it that ranged 1.5-2.25" at 100 for 5. Same rig shoots much better with handloads. I don't think it's the same as blue box loads, it's some kind of bonded/plated pill like a Fusion or Deep Curl. YMMV

loder
© 24hourcampfire