Home
MD,

I finally got my hands on a copy of Handloader with your "exact" amount of powder article. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious, but I don't see where the term variation is defined for the thrown powder charge consistency chart.

Is it the average absolute difference from the mean weight for a string of charges? The sample standard deviation for a string? Or am I just missing it?

Thanks,
mm
What I first tried to do was set each measure to throw the specific charge weights as closely as possible. This usually required throwing several charges, both because of trial and error in the setting, and because it takes a little while for powder to settle consistently in a measure, even with a baffle.

Once the charges were varying about the same amount above and below the specific charge weight, I then threw 10 consecutive charges and recorded their exact weights. The total variation was then divided by two, to come up with the possible variation from the ideal charge weight.

Obviously this required a judgement call about when the thrown charges hover an equal amount on either side of the desired charge--but that's how we use powder measures.

Please ignore the percentage numbers. They got screwed up because I decided to add them at the last moment. This turned out to be a bad idea for several reasons, the biggest being a death in my family. Consequently my concentration wasn't what it should have been.
Also

For HG ammo

The diff is much more significant.
Originally Posted by temmi
Also

For HG ammo

The diff is much more significant.

What is HG ammo?
I think HG is "handgun" - in textese.
Sorry to hear about your loss John. Having recently lost my mother, for whom I'd been the primary caretaker for a couple of years, I understand about loss of focus.
Sorry for your loss

Tom
Originally Posted by temmi
Sorry for your loss

Same here.
Thanks very much for the condolences, everybody. It was my mother.
My condolences to you and your family.
It was my mother.

That ol' saying 'bout "time heals all wounds", is BS. Been fifteen-years, and while not as frequent, or dominant, there are still times......

Condolences.

Very sorry to hear that, John. It's never an easy thing.
Condolences on your loss, John.

I am attending a funeral tomorrow for a woman that was like a second mother to me. My Lillian was 99 years old.
sorry for the loss of your mother .I sure miss mine ,been a year.
John -

I will keep you and her in my prayers.

Terry
Sorry about your loss. Troy
Sorry to hear that John, that's a tough one for everybody.
Paul B.
Mom's have a special place in our hearts. Prayers sent.
Sorry to hear of your loss John. It's never easy, even (especially?) when we see it coming. We lost Mom over six years ago. The wife and I finally got together after two bad marriages each. We are the happiest people in the world. When she was a little girl, she was a favorite of my Mom's. I often say to her, "I wish Mom were here to see us now." She always reminds me, "She is."
Lost mine 17 years ago and still miss her. My condolences John.
Sorry to hear JB, lost my mother during the week before Christmas. There's never a good time, but that was pretty hard on the family.
That's when mine went, the 19th. My condolences to you too.

Thanks to everybody else for their kind words.

My condolences to you and your family also.
My condolences to you and your family. I lost my mother 10 years ago. Took along time to finally realize she wasn't still here. With time, the fond memories replace the sorrow.
Sorry to hear about your mother. Prayers on the way for the family.
Condolences John.......
We lost Mom 10yrs ago on Christmas Eve. There's never a good time for such a thing, but the holidays make it more poignant. Prayers and condolences to you and your family, John.
Condolences to you, John.
Prayers Sent.
John,

I lost my mother 29 years ago at an age younger than I am now. I still think about her frequently especially when I see her resemblance in one of my daughters. All I can say is, try to maintain the good memories they seem to last forever.

Jim
John,

Sorry to hear that you lost your Mom...

$bob$
Sorry not to reply to everybody's kind words for a couple of days, but was down in Texas, shooting a lot with Charlie Sisk. Unfortunately we didn't get to do any hunting, but popped a lot of caps.

Thanks again to all. My mother had a long and happy life, and luckily all her 4 children got to spend considerable time with her this year, talking about all sorts of things. She was a university teacher, and was still helping teach everybody around her until the end. She even had advice for one of her nurses who wanted to go on in school!

Lost my mom unexpectedly in 2008, still catch myself wanting to phone and share some special thing with her.
Condolences, at least three of her children turned out okay. grin
John,
A little belated but heartily condolences for the loss of your mother.
Alvaro
Very sorry for your loss, John. Mom is a tough one to lose. Just thinking about what to say to you brings back our own pain in that circumstance, so we truly do share your pain, bro. May God bless your family and heal your wounds.
Mr. Barsness,sorry to hear of your loss. God bless...
You have my condolences John.

donsm70
JB,
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I know how you feel as I lost my dad on the 16th of January. You never really get over the passing of a parent.

Elk Country
elkcountry,

Thanks very much.

You're right: Nobody really gets over the passing of a parent. My father died in 1969, and I still have dreams where we're talking.
Very sorry to hear it John. Hope your family is close and supportive.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
elkcountry,

Thanks very much.

You're right: Nobody really gets over the passing of a parent. My father died in 1969, and I still have dreams where we're talking.
Condolences from me as well. I agree that one never really gets over the loss. Though my father's only be gone since '08 I too still think and dream about him. But the thing that really gets me is when my two young sons, one of which came about after his passing, ask or talk about him. My oldest used to "see" him and talk with him.

Again sorry for your loss.
© 24hourcampfire