Home
I have a hunt scheduled in May for spring black bear in Maine.

My firearm choices are 30-06 firing a 220gr. Remington Corelokt, or an 8mm Mauser sporter firing one of a number factory loads. 8mm Mauser is currently the largest bore rifle in my collection. (I have a 9.3x62 on the wish list, but it won't happen before the hunt).

For 8mm Mauser ammunition I have/can acquire:
*Sellier & Bellot 196gr Soft Point Cutting Edge
*Hornady 195gr Interlock
*Norma 196gr Oryx (If I can find some)
* ???

For those of you who would choose the Mauser, what would be your ammunition selection? Is there a better factory ammunition out there for bears?

Any benefits for the 30-06 over the Mauser? Specific density?

Thanks...
Bear die easily. Haven't used anything above 25 caliber for the last several.
I think either will do fine, Nosler 200 gr. partitions in the 8mm would be another good choice. Lots of good bullets for the '06.
Thanks Steelhead, but as I'm paying for the hunt, I just want to ensure it gets hammered and goes down. So I'm looking for information about what would be the hardest hitting.
Any of the alternatives you list would work fine. Personally, I'd take the 8x57 wsith Norma Oryx ammo, just because I'm a rifle loony--and have excellent luck with Oryx bullets!
Is the Oryx a bonded bullet? Or a traditional soft point?
I took a bear in Vermont one year with my 8x57 using those anemic green box Remington 170gr round nose. No problems.
It's a bonded bullet that opens pretty widely and typically retains around 90% of its weight. It tends to knock the snot out of whatever it hits.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's a bonded bullet that opens pretty widely and typically retains around 90% of its weight. It tends to knock the snot out of whatever it hits.

Yessir, I like the sound of that.
I believe there is almost no difference in field performance, but the 8mm / Oryx would be my choice, just like Mule Deer.

In my rifles the Norma or Hornady 195-6 gr. loads shoot about 2500 FPS versus the 30-06 220 gr. at about 2300. So, slightly more shocking power with the 8mm, and fully adequate penetration.

In my opinion, the bonded core Norma Oryx is the best quality bullet of your choices, the S&B the poorest quality. I have seen many S&B cutted edge bullets slip their cores. ( they still killed stuff though!) Hornady and Remington are standard plain style cup and core bullets and about equal quality.
I'd opt for the 220s in the 06. You can't stop 'em. Where in Maine out of curiosity?
It will be in Wesley, Maine through an outfitter...
Wow. Native and haven't heard of that one yet. Whereabouts?

Got it. Downeast on the Airline. Stiff with blackies on a good year they say.

Ha! I hope so Bluefish... I'll report back in late May. Maybe you can help me...how's the trout fishing in mid-May? It's on a lake and they said you can fish for smallies there, but in my opinion it's prob too early and too cold there for smallies...So how about the trout?

So anyone have a good lead on some Norma 8x57??
Bud that 30-06 with a 180 or 220 core-lokt will not let you down. Black bears die pretty easily and since I am assuming your hunting over bait shot placement will not be challenging.
Posted By: efw Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/19/13
Ain't a bear alive that'll know the difference.

My buddy's BRNO 8x57 likes the Prvi Partisan 195 gr soft point load.
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
I have a hunt scheduled in May for spring black bear in Maine.

My firearm choices are 30-06 firing a 220gr. Remington Corelokt, or an 8mm Mauser sporter firing one of a number factory loads. 8mm Mauser is currently the largest bore rifle in my collection. (I have a 9.3x62 on the wish list, but it won't happen before the hunt).

For 8mm Mauser ammunition I have/can acquire:
*Sellier & Bellot 196gr Soft Point Cutting Edge
*Hornady 195gr Interlock
*Norma 196gr Oryx (If I can find some)
* ???

For those of you who would choose the Mauser, what would be your ammunition selection? Is there a better factory ammunition out there for bears?

Any benefits for the 30-06 over the Mauser? Specific density?

Thanks...

200 gr Partitions in either cartridge will be more than enough, and I doubt any blackie could tell the difference.

Gunner
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
Thanks Steelhead, but as I'm paying for the hunt, I just want to ensure it gets hammered and goes down. So I'm looking for information about what would be the hardest hitting.

Swing and a miss. Point being, if a 25 caliber works, damn near anything out of a 30 or 8mm will do it.
8x57, any of those bullets would do the job. Tried some of the Hornady 195s last year just messing around and they were very consistent. You could always get the PRVI stuff and get twice as much ammo for your money.
At least a couple of people have suggested 200-grain Nosler Partitions in either chambering for the hunt. These would indeed work fine, but the OP apparently doesn't handload. While Nosler does offer 8x57 Custom handloaded ammo in the 8x57, even they don't offer 200-grain Partition ammo in the .30-06. Or at least I couldn't find it on their website.

While the OP may be willing to try other options, apparently he isn't a handloader.
While the OP may be willing to try other options, apparently he isn't a handloader.

That's a true story...
Posted By: djs Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/19/13
I love the 30-06 but have 3 8mm sporters and they are like peas in a pod - same performance if loaded properly. But, I'd go with the 8X57 (properly loaded) as it's just different.
There are quite a few Campfire members who can't comprehend that, but factory ammunition still kills stuff, believe it or not.

I take a few animals with factory ammo every year--and that's a true story too!
factory ammunition still kills stuff, believe it or not.

Its never not worked for me!....grin
I bought a 8 x57 not long ago in a sporterised M98. A older fella hanging out at the gun shop asked with a wink, "Why do you want to hunt with a rifle from the loosing side?"

Im sure you'll find that invaluable in making your decision wink
Posted By: GuyM Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/19/13

Well worth quoting, and I like the highly technical description of the terminal ballistics! grin
Conley Precision offers 200-gr Partitions for both calibers: http://www.cpcartridge.com/premiumrifle.htm . The 8x57mm 200-gr NP is faster (2690fps) than the .30-06 200-gr NP (2500fps) per their listing - doubt that matters much.
The 8x57 with a 200gr. Bullet is a great combo. It's what I used in Namibia last year based on advice from my friends there. It will be what I take when I go back. They also speak very highly of the Norma oryx, but I used partitions because of availability in component form. Pick the 8x57 and start worrying about taxidermy. Good luck.
Posted By: RGK Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/19/13
I'd go for the '06 because, well, I like it. A 180 gr Fed factory load with Nosler Partitions would work. But...an 8x57 would be neat. You know, Mauser 98, an older Zeiss scope, barrel band, pancake cheekpiece, etc. Yeah, I think I like the 8X57...sounds like a cool upcoming trip there, Skyhunter.
Bob
Pick up both guns, mount and point at a 25-50 yard target with your eyes closed. Open them.
Which one is "on" target?
Take that one and load it with ANY factory load 170 grains or more.
And a pen and camera.
Enjoy your hunt, don't overthink the ammo, think about bear sausage and stew.
Although I usually shoot 200 grain ABs from my Husqvarnas and Remington 700s in 8x57, all 4 also shoot the 196 grain S&Bs quite well. If you're shooting a bear over bait, the distance isn't going to be all that great, just make sure that you know where to put the bullet and you'll have your bear.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Pick up both guns, mount and point at a 25-50 yard target with your eyes closed. Open them.
And a pen and camera.

best answer of the bunch!
There are quite a few Campfire members who can't comprehend that,...

LOL.
Every forum/every thread.

Or so it seems.
Originally Posted by efw
Ain't a bear alive that'll know the difference.

This.
Originally Posted by calikooknic
And a pen and camera.

This +1, seems like damn good advice to me. More bears been shot with 30-30's and 32 Win Spl using the 170 gr loads at 150-200 fps slower than the fac 170 in the 8mm. Those fac 170gr WW semi spitzers, Corelokt's or Hi Shoks will get the job done. From the OP's post it didn't sound like he was sniping one down a powerline cut at 500+ yds either.You don't need boutique loads in an eight to get the job done, just as simple really as stopping at Wallyworld and buying a green/yellow box of ammo that says 30-06 Spgfd on the end 180 gr Corelokt.... have a good hunt and quit worrying about gack. Magnum man
At least a couple of people have suggested 200-grain Nosler Partitions in either chambering for the hunt. These would indeed work fine, but the OP apparently doesn't handload. While Nosler does offer 8x57 Custom handloaded ammo in the 8x57, even they don't offer 200-grain Partition ammo in the .30-06. Or at least I couldn't find it on their website.

All true, but if he lived close, I'd be glad to roll him up a box or five. wink

Gunner
No real difference. Pick which rifle handles and shoots best then go.
Not much difference here between these two....my Maine blacks have been killed with a 30/06,270,and 280...you could scarcely tell them apart...and neither could the bears. smile
I would go with the 8x57 with the 196gr Norma Oryx load or a 30-06 with the 180gr Remington Swift A-Frame load.
Wow, what a community!

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take them both. The 30-06 is a Tikka T3 Lite and is my go to white tail killer. The 8x57 is an old sporter with claw mounts and express sights. Here's a look:

98 Mauser Sporter

I think it would be smart to have a back up gun along for the ride. Though I'm still trying to decide which will be the primary. I'm going to keep my eye out for some Norma Oryx to come in stock somewhere..
That's a great looking 8x57 which is the one I would use simply for the cool factor. Almost any load will work but the Norma 196 gr Oryx sounds awfully good. Good call on taking your Tikka as a back up or maybe you will alternate carrying them when out in the field.
I've used them both with the same results. It really a rifle choice you need to make, not a cartridge one.
Let's see: Davy Crockett killed him a b'ar with what? A muzzle loader of some persuasion, flintlock or percussion; possibly shooting a round lead ballpatched with last years under wear and you are trying to decide between /06 and 8mm? You are over thinking the whole thing.
Posted By: GRF Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/20/13
+1 to Gerrygoats comments. Use the 8
The 8 definitely gets it in style points.
Use the 8x57. No, wait, use the '06. No, wait, use the 8x57. Aw shucks, close your eyes and pick one.

(I too would use the Mauser just for the cool factor, and any old factory load- unless said bear is a 600 pounder (hah!) then I might spring for premium ammo. The last bear I helped drag out of the woods had the snot knocked out of it by a .243.)
I doubt whichever cartridge that you use that the Bear will care. He'll just die.
Posted By: Huntz Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/20/13
Shootin over bait is a good time to use a Revolver or a Bow.Just sayin!!!
Originally Posted by Huntz

Can I get a AMEN for the 45 Colt? grin

Gunner
Posted By: Huntz Re: 8x57 vs 30-06 for Black Bear - 03/21/13
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Huntz

Can I get a AMEN for the 45 Colt? grin

Gunner

grin
AMEN Brother!!!
laugh laugh

Gunner
A man with one watch might have the right time, a man with two is never sure.
© 24hourcampfire