Home
Posted By: gahuntertom Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/16/13
Anyone have any hunting experience with the new Speer Deepcurl bullets out of rifles @3,000 fps at the muzzle. I plan to try 120 in a 25'06 & 160's in a 7RemMag.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/16/13
The 120's work great out of a 257 @ 2950. Most consistently accurate bullet I've tried in several 25's.
I shot the 90's from a 243 at 3000+ last deer season and was impressed. I've not shot them in any other cartridge. In my experience, they performed perfectly.

I have no reservations about using them as a "go-to" bullet for deer sized game.
Posted By: kraky111 Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/16/13
Did pretty good here.....
http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=23440
Posted By: JimHundley Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/17/13
Originally Posted by southtexas
The 120's work great out of a 257 @ 2950. Most consistently accurate bullet I've tried in several 25's.

I have a box of 180 gr. Speer DC's and they mic .309". The leade of my barrel is .3085". Is there any danger in shooting the oversized bullet through the gun ? Would hate to blow the thing up ! Speer told me the bullet was within spec. Would it be prudent to start low and work up or just use the box of bullets for a paper weight ?
Thank you,
Jim
p.s. Would you post what your bullet diameter measures ?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/17/13
Originally Posted by JimHundley

I have a box of 180 gr. Speer DC's and they mic .309". The leade of my barrel is .3085". Is there any danger in shooting the oversized bullet through the gun ? Would hate to blow the thing up ! Speer told me the bullet was within spec. Would it be prudent to start low and work up or just use the box of bullets for a paper weight ?
Thank you,
Jim

Nor danger at all shooting a .309 bullet in a 30 caliber riffle of cup and core design
Posted By: southtexas Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/17/13
Originally Posted by JimHundley

Thank you,
Jim

My 120's mic at .258. But pls note that Speer has different data for the DCs than their other bullets. Get the DC data from their website an then work up normally. Let us know how they work!
Posted By: JimHundley Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/17/13
Thanks Southtexas.
I have the data, just wondering about the diameter of the bullet.
Will let you know.
Jim
Data is here:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsnew/new_reloading_data.aspx

160 7mm's from my 7x57 seem to open very wide and leave a lot of blood-shot meat. IME they have always exited so I have no idea how wide.
where are you even finding these for sale? I couldn't find these even before the election.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/19/13
Carters Country in Houston has a few on the shelf. Don't know if they ship.
160 DC 7mm Midsouth shooters supply had them yesterday

midsouth has a fair inventory

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/searchMSS.asp?pg=20&NAV=3&searchInfo=%53%50%45%45%52&op=AND
Posted By: CLB Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/21/13
Other than .30 cal, the bullet weight selection is not very much. Though they look like a great design, I wonder if more bullet weight is a requirement for them?
Posted By: MartyC Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/22/13
Brian Pearce wrote up an article on them in Rifle a while back, can't put my hand on the issue, but I believe it was mid to late last year, could have been Handloader too, check the index
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 04/22/13
What did Pearce have to say about them? Did he like them?
Posted By: MartyC Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/01/13
He said they worked fine, sorry it took me a week to get back, I seem to recall that they were contemplating them as a replacement for the hot core.
MC
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/01/13
No one seems to know if they are a replacement for the Hot Cor or not. It seems there are these two similar products at a similar price point, and it would seem yeah ok maybe they are phasing one in to replace the other, but there's been no confirmation either way.

It almost seems as if Speer doesn't know what to do.

Personally I like the Hor Cor at the price they come for. But if the Deep Curl can perform similarly for a similar price, I would happily buy them.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
I spoke to the Speer rep on their 800 number not, long ago. . He said basically that they were going to let the market decide which specific Hot Cores would be dropped and which would be kept.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
I spoke to the Speer rep on their 800 number not, long ago. . He said basically that they were going to let the market decide which specific Hot Cores would be dropped and which would be kept.

I guess I can see their logic, but keeping two lines going simultaneously doesn't sound like the best way to keep overheads (and prices) down.

That's their business I guess. Thanks for the info southtexas.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
7mm 160's: https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/orderId/1168086/productId/2797
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
I went on a tour of the Speer/CCI plant three years ago with some other writers, and at that time we were told Speer definitely planned to replace the entire Hot-Cor line with DeepCurls. Evidently they've had a change of heart.
Posted By: southtexas Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
This is a complete guess.

But my guess is that the Hot Cores and the Deep Curls are made on different equipment. And in today's market they can sell everything they can produce so why not keep the old Hot Core production lines working while the market is hot.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
You're right, the two bullets are made on different equipment--and I suspect you're right about the marketing strategy as well.
Posted By: Azar Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
From my perspective it seems as if the transition from HotCor to Deep Curl didn't go so smoothly. They announced the transition and HotCor's slowly faded from stock, but the DeepCurls never really appeared to replace them. It seems as if they didn't have the production capacity to get DeepCurls to the same stock levels as HotCors had been previously. After a while, HotCors came back in stock...

Of course, I may be totally of base here, but that's just the way it looked to me...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Speer Deepcurl bullets? - 05/02/13
I have never seen Deep Curls on a shelf.

I found one box of Deep-Shoks when they were in existence.

What is the problem between Cabela's and Speer?
© 24hourcampfire