Home
As you all know I shoot a 7mm RM as my main hunting rifle for the last few years. And 150 gr Federal Fusions been the load I been shooting. Well here in CT some really bad laws have been passed and will go into effect in Oct. Ammo as you know is is short supply but as of late 7mm RM here has not been hard to come by if you are not to picky about loads. The point is there is a lot of 7mm Remington Mag Winchester 150 PP to be had. So much so the store I was in today told me I could buy all I want since not many shoot that cartridge. Ok anybody know how that load will perform on deer sized game, as long as the groups are not shotgun pattern size, 2 inches or better at a 100 is fine. I never shot Power Points. I would not even be considering this if it was not for the nonsense going on.
A150grain 7mm anything is going to drop a deer if put into it's vitals. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Buy a box and see how they shoot. We have the same concerns this side of the pond about armour plated deer too ;-)
I tipped an elk over with one when I was about 18, so I'm guessing a deer won't fare too well against one either.

Dave
Pretty much a standard deer load for the 7 RM. The only question I would have is how it shoots in your gun. If it groups well enough to suit you, go forth and fill the freezer.
I have used it on a deer out of a .284 Win. The deer was shot at ~15 yards. Heart/lung ahot. Very little bloodshot meat and full penetration.

This was a factory load before I had a chonograph so I have no idea of the velocity

I had several of the old yellow boxes of 7mm 150-grain Power Points. I shot several mule deer and a couple of elk with them in my .280 Ackley.

Excellent killing bullet that opens right back to the cannelure every time. One shot per critter and no complaints from either me or the furry thangs.

Blessings,

Steve

Thanks guys, that store is holding two cases for me, on the condition the load shoots well enough in my rifle. I with reloading supplies in short to non existence, I think it just might be a wise move. I am planning on laying in 600 rounds before 1 Oct. I don't plan on complying with the States unlawfulness in this matter. I figure that 600 would be enough for checking zero and some range time and collecting my venison for the next 20 years or so, or till we get this crap undone.
It's the only bullet I've even used in my 280 Rem. Bought it in 92, loaded a hand full with AA3100, and shot MOA from the beginning. I've never been tempted to try anything else. Have killed many Alabama whitetails with it, including my best 8 pt ever this past January. Can't speak for any other game, but they're perfect for deer!
gmsemsel,

Seems like a smart move to me.

I've always had excellent results from Power Points, both in accuracy and on game. Unlike Stevie Dogzapper, however, I've never recovered any to see what they looked like!
Thanks again guys, this nonsense well end at some point, but I currently live in CT and well I am not going to bet coin on it, I going to buy a box shoot some, my guess it will shoot just fine out of my blaser, then I am going to buy as much of it as I can, since its not a hot seller here, Its a royal pain when you get right down to it, gee's its like the people who are running this state belong in an asylum. Its so un american with what is going on here. Well If I am lucky enough I may be able to leave soon.
I go along with those who say Winchester Power Point are fine bullets. At one point in my hunting life I liked them better than any of the other factory loaded rounds. They just plain work.
Power points are one of my favourite game bullets. My supply dates from 1980s and 1990s. I did a lot of reading and testing before I laid in my supply. Finn Aaggard really liked them (especially in his 375 for lions.) On a more modest level a have found them to be very accurate. I have shot three deer with them . One shot each. Didnt recovery any bullet but good wound chanels . This was with 3006 150 gr. From the wound chanels they gave good expansion and excellent penetration but not as soft as the speer 150, or the sierra which tended to disintegrate. My buddy shot a good bull moose with current production 3006 150 gr power points in fall of 2012. Again complete penetration.

I have shot one cow moose with them from a 280 remington..They were the semi round nose 175pp. Again complete penetration for the three shots. Also, so far they have been very accurate in every gun I have tried them in.
Originally Posted by super T
I go along with those who say Winchester Power Point are fine bullets. At one point in my hunting life I liked them better than any of the other factory loaded rounds. They just plain work.

Can't put it any better myself.
Too bad the Win factory ammo isn't more accurate.

Great bullet, but it my rifles have never liked the Win loadings for some reason.
I've noticed that almost all factory stuff has gotten more accurate of late. Some times it's almost as good as my best hand loads and almost always good enough for the hunting I do. Why this is so, I do not know for sure. All I know is it ain't a bad thing.
"Too bad the Win factory ammo isn't more accurate."

That's surprising. A few years back I bought a Winchester M70 XTR push fed .270 Win. mostly because the price was way too good to pass up It even came with a cheap scope on it. I bought a box of 150 gr. Power points to check accuracy and pressure ring and case head expnsion for factory ammo before working up handloads. The guy I got it from said it was sighted and so I set up at 100 yards and fired three shots for one ragged hole. The I fired two more and the group was right at .75". I waited two minutes between shots so the barrel wouldn't get too hot. I did three more sets of 5 shot groups and one was very close to .50" and the widest group was .85".
My handloads all have stayed under one inch so far but there's a few bullets I haven't tried yet. I know most people seem to prefer the 130 gr. bullets in the .270 but my tightest groups have come rom the 150 gr. bullets. As always, YMMV.
Paul B.

In my 284 Savage 99 I can get 150 Win PP into 1MOA or better, It's a good bullet!
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Too bad the Win factory ammo isn't more accurate."

That's surprising. A few years back I bought a Winchester M70 XTR push fed .270 Win. mostly because the price was way too good to pass up It even came with a cheap scope on it. I bought a box of 150 gr. Power points to check accuracy and pressure ring and case head expnsion for factory ammo before working up handloads. The guy I got it from said it was sighted and so I set up at 100 yards and fired three shots for one ragged hole. The I fired two more and the group was right at .75". I waited two minutes between shots so the barrel wouldn't get too hot. I did three more sets of 5 shot groups and one was very close to .50" and the widest group was .85".
My handloads all have stayed under one inch so far but there's a few bullets I haven't tried yet. I know most people seem to prefer the 130 gr. bullets in the .270 but my tightest groups have come rom the 150 gr. bullets. As always, YMMV.
Paul B.

I keep trying them, but so far no dice. I'd really like them to work because they feature a pretty good bullet for the money.

I've used them in 3 .270's and 2 7 mags. All but one grouped 2"-3". Interestingly enough, the rifle that liked them was a pre-64.

I wouldn't consider shooting 1.5" or less in 1 out of 5 rifles good accuracy, especially when federal blue box stuff always seems to shoot.
Like I said, I don't have an axe to grind against the Win factory loadings...I keep trying them because I hope they will shoot good in one of my guns. I just haven't found them to be consistent.
I like PowerPoints better than the new-style CoreLokts myself. They seem to be a bit tougher.
Can't hurt to try them. I shot 60 gr ( I think) Power Points in a 223 WSSM and they were plenty accurate and damn deadly on deer. I can't imagine 150's in a 7 RM bouncing off.
I've been using them for fire forming for years. Guess I should look at them differently. powdr
I wouldn't worry about it, 7 rem mag doesn't run in an AR, so everywhere I have been, they actually have it in stock. There is also a decent stock of 300wm, .270 and 30-06.
I shot a fair amount of the 150gr Power Point factory loads in my Win 70 Super Grade 7mm Rem Mag. They had 'em marked waaay down at the end of the season one year at Wally World, and I couldn't pass 'em up. It liked them a lot and I could count on 3/4" to a little over an inch groups out of them, depending on the wind and my shooting that day. I never shot anything any larger than a ~240lb whitetail buck with them, but they put 'em down quickly and always penetrated completely through, even on one I shot quartering almost right to me.

I dropped two does with one shot with that load one evening, at about 275yds, and it was a complete pass-through even on the back deer. I didn't know that another doe was directly behind the one I was shooting at, but when I pulled the trigger, the doe behind went titts up right there and the one in front made about two jumps and piled up. This was with 150gr Power Point factory loads I had bought in 2003.

Alas, I had to sell that rifle to finance my divorce from my first wife, but the friend that I sold it to loves it and continues to kill a lot of deer and several elk with it.
I have used the 150 grain Power Point a good bit in my 7 mag. The Power Point shoots plenty accurate enough for deer hunting for me. I've shot deer as close at 10 yards and as far as 300 yards with them with no problems. I will warn you though that the Power Point is soft so if you hit a shoulder bone at close range, it will just about tear that shoulder off. If you get the accuracy that you want, I'd say stock up on them, but try to stay away from the shoulders or you will lose both front shoulders.
They grouped great on my 7RM, but 160gr Partitions and Sierra Game Kings group better, I would have no problem shooting them if they came on top accuracy wise. No experience on game though.
© 24hourcampfire