Home
Posted By: Big_Redhead New Forbes M24B - 05/18/13
Just picked up a new Forbes M24B chambered for 270 Win. What a well-made rifle! No problems loading and chambering my handloads. When they say it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards, that's exactly what they mean. The first group I shot with the first load I tried went into exactly a half-inch. That load was 50gr W760 with the original, thin-jacketed 130 grain Nosler BHallistic tips. What a great trigger! I didn't measure it but I'm sure it broke at around 3-4 lbs. The trigger is wide and contacts more area on the finger, so it felt lighter. All I did was mount a Leupy 3-9x40 with LRD reticle, swabbed the bore, and shot. Rifle came with Talley lightweight mounts that are the perfect height for that scope. Absolutely no muss, no fuss. Didn't have to adjust the trigger, forend bedding, or anything. What a pleasure! The striker is light weight with very fast lock time so as not to disturb the rifle when the sear breaks. The stock fits me well. At the store I compared it to a Weatherby. The Weatherby fit me a skosh better, but the Forbes was right in there, and the Weatherby was several hundred dollars higher in price. I've been wanting to give the 270 another chance since I had some bullet failures with it back in the '80s, and I can't think of a better platform for the task. This rifle will go moose hunting with me and my eldest son in a year or two. smile
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/18/13
Congrats on your purchase. They're nice rifles!
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/18/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Congrats on your purchase. They're nice rifles!

Thanks man. I benn wanting an all-weather rifle for the bush and I coudl't think of anything better. At the store I compared Kimber Montanas and a couple others to the Forbes, but the Forbes won out. As Colonel Whelen used to say, "Only accurate rifles are interesting." My Forbes has a serial number in the 200's so it is an early one. Figured I better get one before they find ways to reduce cost, and while I had one in my hands. smile
Posted By: deflave Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/19/13
Congrats on the rifle. I fingered the first one I have seen today. It was a 30-06 but they said a 25-06 was due in next week.

God help me...

Travis
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/19/13
I really wanted an '06 but the 270 was all they had.

I've been to Havre. Came through there on the way home from Jasper via Glacier. Had to stop and have the brake pads replaced after Going To The Sun.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/20/13
Originally Posted by deflave
Congrats on the rifle. I fingered the first one I have seen today. It was a 30-06 but they said a 25-06 was due in next week.

God help me...

Travis

A 25-06 would be a pretty slick set up. How much are these rifles running?
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/20/13
If anyone knows where a new 30-06 is for sale, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks,

Mark
Posted By: rflshtr Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
I got my .270 at Scheel's in Mankato MN and they had a 30-06 also. Check with all of the MN, WI and ND, aand SD Scheel's stores.
Posted By: bglimpse Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

I've been to Havre. Came through there on the way home from Jasper via Glacier. Had to stop and have the brake pads replaced after Going To The Sun.

Did you get it at Jay's? If so, I bought the 30-06 they had about 2 months ago. They had both, it was a tough decision.. Great rifle. I almost sold it, but came to my senses. I really do need multiple 30-06's..
Posted By: RinB Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
BRH....get some new bullets for your moose. I suggest 130 TTSX.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
Originally Posted by bglimpse
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead

Did you get it at Jay's? If so, I bought the 30-06 they had about 2 months ago. They had both, it was a tough decision.. Great rifle. I almost sold it, but came to my senses. I really do need multiple 30-06's..

Yep Jays. How does your '06 shoot?
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
Originally Posted by RinB
BRH....get some new bullets for your moose. I suggest 130 TTSX.

Thanks. I was thinking 160gr partition. I'm an old pumpkin roller from way back. wink My best game shooting results have come from heavier slugs at moderate velocity. If I can't put a bullet where it needs to go from 300 yards distant when started at 2600-2700 fps, no trick bullet will help. I'm not blasting the TTSX, I've used a few on game, and I know many experienced hunters like them. I just like the lead heavys better. But thanks for the recommendation. I'll listen to all the advice I can get from experienced hunters/riflemen. Maybe I'll try the monometals on a few deer.
Posted By: jobyjob Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/21/13
+1 Redhead. Hard to beat a 30 cal. 180gr R-N Sierra Prohunter.
Posted By: Big_Redhead Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/26/13
Here is a pic of the first hundred-yard group. The 3 wide ones in the second quadrant were fired during sight-in. It took three rounds to sight in. The group at the top of the circle are rounds 5, 6, and 7 fired through the rifle.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Natty_Bumpo Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/26/13
Thanks for the Real World report.

NB
Posted By: KR13 Re: New Forbes M24B - 05/26/13
Have one on order in .35 Whelen. Waiting patiently.....
© 24hourcampfire