Home
How would this bullet perform out of a .308 Remington 700 sps 24" factory barrel for whitetails? What would its maximum performance distance be? Thanks for any & all info.
It'll kill them quite dead, and quite handily at that. My "serious" gun is zeroed with them propelled by a stiff load of Varget.

I've never used them at long range so I can't comment on real low velocity performance.
I've only killed one deer with them, but based on that performance I've got great confidence in them. moving at approx .300 savage speed out of a .308, deer was shot at around 100 yds, heart/lung. bullet was not recovered, blood trail appeared to have been produced by a fire hose. I can't imagine you having any issues with them at .308 velocities.
What is your muzzle velocity? With Hornady's factory ammo velocity, you're good out to at least 400 yds. Velocity starts to get kind of low for reliable expansion after that, according to the std 1800fps guideline.
My favorite in my Ruger M77. Use IMR 4895 to get a little over 2800fps. No whitetail or Muly has complained, and I have never recovered any bullets. My maximum distance has been 125 yards so I can't halp you with longer shots.
Originally Posted by Ruger270man
How would this bullet perform out of a .308 Remington 700 sps 24" factory barrel for whitetails? What would its maximum performance distance be? Thanks for any & all info.

It's hard for me to imagine a better bullet for whitetails. In fact, Hornady chose this bullet to load in their American Whitetail factory load. How far away? How far away can you be sure of putting the bullet in the right place?
Factory load velocity is 2820
I shot a decent 7 pointer a couple of seasons ago at 260 yds using the 150 gr Horn SP in a 308 win (using Varget, just like Mathman). This year the 308 is the backup, and it put the last four 150 Horns through it into a 0.70" group. This was using Hodgdon's max load of CFE-223 of 51.5 gr with a MV of 2962 fps. This was through a factory SPS barrel shortened one inch to 23". Good to go to 500 yds with this load.
Easy 2800 fps with 48 gr. of 748 and CCI250s out of my 22" BAR. A bolt rifle can throw in more powder no problem. Very accurate and pretty tough bullet from my newspaper tests.
Ruger270man, that bullet isn't a long-range bullet, but out to 400-450 in a 308 it should be the ticket. The great thing about bullets that have lead noses is that they open more consistently when velocity has dropped off.
That's my favorite bullet in the 308 win. Always accurate and kills the chit out of deer and elk (believe it or not). As far as interlock performance at "long range", I know the .308 165 btsp and .284 162gr. work great past 600 yards on deer and I would trust them on elk as well at that range..Sorry, no first hand experience with the 308 win and 150gr. sp interlock past 300 yards...
150gr Hornady Interlock out of a 308 intended for deer at any reasonable has one very serious flaw. If you should screw up a shot you'll need a better excuse than your bullet of choice was bad.
Originally Posted by super T
150gr Hornady Interlock out of a 308 intended for deer at any reasonable has one very serious flaw. If you should screw up a shot you'll need a better excuse than your bullet of choice was bad.

Very true grin
They knock big holes in deer.
Originally Posted by shootem
They knock big holes in deer.

Not the ones I've used and seen used. Always minimal bloodshot meat...
That's been my experience with Interlocks at moderate velocities: They kill well but don't "splode" the meat.

Killed a big axis buck about a year ago in Texas with a 150 .30 Interlock from a .308, range about 125 yards. I deliberately shot for ribs rather than shoulder, because I love axis venison. Lost very little meat, but the buck was down quickly.
Not saying you lose a lot of meat. But with factory 30-06 Hornady loads I shot quite a while back the rib cages would have holes a couple of inches wide on each side. Matter of fact I've seen holes in the hide on one or two that were inch and a half or so with overhead valves and pushrods hanging out. It's a deadly bullet.
In my XS-7 Marlin I've used them on deer and antelope, no regrets about my choice. they worked perfect both times and that antelope buck was over 300 yds the load was at 2825 fps at 10' from the muzzle. Good cup and core performance leaves 1"-1 1/2" exit holes in my book,lets the blood out and cold air in, leaving a blood trail no one can miss.I for one want an exit hole everytime. Magnum man
shootem,

Yeah, but that's with the ultra-fast .30-06! Not with the "moderate" .308....
^^^^^^ Now thats funny right there!
MD,

I know you are speaking tongue in cheek, but seriously, what percent of 150 gr 30-06 rounds do you think will be used this season that will best 2962 fps? I'm betting a very small one. The 308 is a cool cartridge fo sho.

bludog
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
shootem,

Yeah, but that's with the ultra-fast .30-06! Not with the "moderate" .308....

grinnin':)....Yeah, thought about having that old BAR AI'd but afraid deer would just vaporize. The old 150gr bronze point is another deer destroyer. Slapped a couple with it out of the old 7.62x63 Magnum.
Those BP's can sure make a hole! Once worked for a rancher who told me they were "designed for bears." He never explained how or why, but then he had many strange ideas about firearms and ammunition. He had never shot a bear, seen anybody shoot a bear, or even seen a bear outside of Yellowstone Park.
Originally Posted by Dusty246
Easy 2800 fps with 48 gr. of 748 and CCI250s out of my 22" BAR. A bolt rifle can throw in more powder no problem. Very accurate and pretty tough bullet from my newspaper tests.

48-50g in my Remingtons, 2900 fps
They work on things bigger than whitetails too. I use them on red stags out of .308's and .30/06's, and they have always done the trick. I usually will shoot through the shoulder and no problem dropping stags on the spot. This is at 2800fps out of a .308 and 2930fps out of my .30/06.
This load is a match made in Heaven for whitetails. I load it with a one-grain-less-than-max charge of Varget. The buck my wife killed with it from 200 yards last year died instantly. She pulled the shot and hit him in the pelvis, almost completely destroying both hind quarters. The meat cutter said he never saw such damage, and he sees a lot of shot deer! I suggest keeping them in the shoulder or ribcage to maximize the freezer venison.
Originally Posted by shootem
Not saying you lose a lot of meat. But with factory 30-06 Hornady loads I shot quite a while back the rib cages would have holes a couple of inches wide on each side. Matter of fact I've seen holes in the hide on one or two that were inch and a half or so with overhead valves and pushrods hanging out. It's a deadly bullet.

More than likely the rib bones making the damage.

150sp Horns or Rem Cor'loc 150s...can't think of a better whitetail bullet out of the 308.
Originally Posted by Ruger270man

One of the best whitetail bullet you could use in the 308, except i prefer the 165 gr over the 150's in the 30 cal
Shot a decent blacktail with a 150 hornady out of a 308, range was perhaps 35 yards, facing me. Found the perfectly expanded bullet right between the hams, after he did a 20 yard dash! Shot several other deer (blacktails and mule deer), all with predictable results. Others have already talked about the suggested minimum velocity for expansion.
You would be good to go with that bullet.
I know many folks worship at the church of Nosler, or preach the gospel of Barnes, but I'm really a Hornady believer. I think they make quality, accurate, effective bullets that are premium without the price tag. And I've never had a problem getting various Hornadys to shoot very well in many calibers and cartridges, including handguns. I'm biased toward c/c for hunting with non-magnum cartridges, and I think no one does it better than Hornady, though Sierra and Nosler do c/c just as well, in my experience. In my father's handloading world, Sierras and Nosler Solid Base were for deer, Partitions and Hornady spitzers were for elk.
How far, or how close? Don't get me wrong, I really like(d) the bullet but decided to try one of these super duper shoulder shots - they're all the rage you know - to put one right down. Maybe 35 yards broadside, medium blacktail, yep sure enough, DRT. Thought nothing was afoul until skinning, absolute horror movie carnage, bloodshot disaster, a sad pitiful waste of meat, black goo all along both sides, just a mess in every direction top to bottom. Really - absolutely totally blown all to hell. The 300 Savage is just too hot for the Hornady, LOL.
Personally, I try to stay off the shoulder when shooting deer. Never found it did the meat any good. Less of an issue with moose in my small sampling, but I suspect that has to do with their mass.
Years ago, back on shooters.com, one of y'all answered the questions of a newbie reloader trying to load some 30-06 for the first time. Y'all pointed me towards Hornady 165's and 150's. I have 8 30-something rifles now that I'm loading for-- mine and my sons.

Depending on the rifle, they all shoot either the 150 grain Hornady, the 165 grain Hornady, or the 150 grain Rem PSPCL. They all produce the same good performance on whitetail from 10-200 yards. I do not think you could make a better choice?

150 or 165? I don't think the deer know the difference, but I have transitioned to the 150 wherever possible, just because they're a bit cheaper. Some of my rifles just seem to like the 165 better.
Matter of fact I've seen holes in the hide on one or two that were inch and a half or so with overhead valves and pushrods hanging out

Now that's funny!! grin
I've killed deer and hogs with a max load of Varget and a 150 grain Hornady SP's. 100 yards was my furthest shot, but it had no problems. I hit steel out to 400 with them in practice, and I'd not hesitate to shoot a deer at that range with them.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Those BP's can sure make a hole! Once worked for a rancher who told me they were "designed for bears." He never explained how or why, but then he had many strange ideas about firearms and ammunition. He had never shot a bear, seen anybody shoot a bear, or even seen a bear outside of Yellowstone Park.

Clearly he "contributes" his info right here to the fire then. laugh
Originally Posted by oregontripper
How far, or how close? Don't get me wrong, I really like(d) the bullet but decided to try one of these super duper shoulder shots - they're all the rage you know - to put one right down. Maybe 35 yards broadside, medium blacktail, yep sure enough, DRT. Thought nothing was afoul until skinning, absolute horror movie carnage, bloodshot disaster, a sad pitiful waste of meat, black goo all along both sides, just a mess in every direction top to bottom. Really - absolutely totally blown all to hell. The 300 Savage is just too hot for the Hornady, LOL.

Tripper, maybe you ought to try slowing them down a bit. I bet they wouldn't do as much damage if you started them at about 2500 fips, and 150 yards would still be well within MPBR. If that doesn't work for ya, try the 6.5x55 with 140 grainers at around 2500 fips. It does less damage but still plants deer when shoulder-shot. This is personal experience talkin'.
308 Winchester is the cake & the 150 Interlock is the icing. My preferred Whitetail whacker.
[Linked Image]

You'll miss, unless you have a really good rifle. crazy
© 24hourcampfire