Home
I am usually not too wrapped up in the topics that get posted above under the Hunters Campfire about DHS and 450 billion rounds of ammo, the de-arming of America, Obama's Muslin/Al Qaida connection etc.

But I do feel there is a problem with .22 LR ammo. I live in Rural America. I have some casual connections at our gun shops.

There has been NO .22 LR "trickling in" like powders and primers. AR seem readily available. As are magazines. I just bought and assembled an upper via Midway. Lots of options.

So WTF is going on with powder and .22 LR?

I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day. There are no bricks trickling in. There are no buckets of 1400 rounds of Remington trickling in. No Blazer. Nada.

Has anyone been to a plant in the last 3-4 months?

Has anyone at a large chain (Cabelas, Scheels, Dicks) seen bricks arrive? Or cases of powder?

I've not heard, read, or spoken to anyone either in retail or guys finding and buying any.

In general, I am not really believing the Hoarding excuse at this time. At the onset, 8-11 months ago, absolutely. But now, no clue.
So what would you believe? Your local gun shop guy isn't aggressive enough in trying to get ammo in? DHS, IRS, USFWS, and the rest of the alphabet soup is intentionally trying to keep .22 LR (of all things) out of your hands. Ammo makers think they can make more money in other high demand areas?

I am seeing occasional bricks at Cabelas and the like by the way. Not much though.
I am starting to see 325 round boxes of CCI Tactical and Federal Auto Match here.
You have every Tom, Dick, and Harry who used to only shoot 50 rounds a year buying up everything they can find so the fear of not having any is driving people to snatch it up who normally only bought occasionally.

Even casual gun owners are attempting to stockpile whicvh I take as a sign that average people for the first time probably fear the Government taking away or limiting their RKBA's

Mike
I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day.

People that I know and work at the Remington ammo plant near here, have told me that they are making between six and ten million rounds of .22 long rifle a day. Seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year. miles
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
You have every Tom, Dick, and Harry who used to only shoot 50 rounds a year buying up everything they can find so the fear of not having any is driving people to snatch it up who normally only bought occasionally.

Even casual gun owners are attempting to stockpile whicvh I take as a sign that average people for the first time probably fear the Government taking away or limiting their RKBA's

Mike

That is exactly what is happening. Be advised, the same exact thing WILL happen to US food supplies one day. Be ready.
It's getting hoarded. Any place that doesn't have a per customer limit on purchases for 22 has people showing up as soon as the truck is unloaded and taking everything, for hoarding or resale at gun shows for ridiculous markups. It is still going on, too, it wasn't just in the immediate aftermath of SH.

And when people buy it all up and hoard it, that mentality spreads. When the guy who thought he only wanted to pick up one brick keeps trying and finding the shelves empty finally sees some in stock, he's going to stockpile as much as he can afford and that the store will let him.
Thankfully we can grow our own food. Thats a big plus over and beyond making 22 rimfire ammo.

But its a reminder might should stock the freezer with a bit of spare seeds of all kinds too.
Originally Posted by milespatton
I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day.

People that I know and work at the Remington ammo plant near here, have told me that they are making between six and ten million rounds of .22 long rifle a day. Seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year. miles

I'd like to know............why 22LR ammo and why people decided to make that extinct ?
Can you afford to buy and hold 100,000 rounds of 50 bmg or 308 match or such? Last 50 I bought was approaching 5 bucks a round IIRC.
I wish the distributers could hold supplies.....hold.....hold... and then all at once flood the market. That seems like the only way to make this go away.

I'll be the first to admit if I see a brick I will buy one (not 10) even though I don't need it. Only because there is a shortage crazy
I guess that makes sense. I'm looking forward to the day when all the hoarders and gougers run out of money and I can start buying bricks for $5.
22 is most definitely trickling in, and has been for quite some time. The smarter shops are holding on to it, and letting it go in dips and drabs. I know a few shops here have quite a bot of .22 behind the scenes, reserving the majority of it for folks who buy a firearm in that caliber, and for steady customers.
Originally Posted by Ruger280
I wish the distributers could hold supplies.....hold.....hold... and then all at once flood the market. That seems like the only way to make this go away.

I'll be the first to admit if I see a brick I will buy one (not 10) even though I don't need it. Only because there is a shortage crazy

I haven't bought 22 in a number of years, and even if I was low or out, I would not buy it right now. Matter of principle.
More, what gets me, is what are you hoarding it for? I bought quite a bit some time back so I would never have to worry about it personally, but if you are buying it because they will ban it or some such, if its illegal, then WHERE are you going to shoot it that you won't get turned in.

If you are worried about SHTF, you just have to have enough of SOME caliber, to win the first battle of the first folks that come for you, then you have all yours and all theirs.

And if you think you MIGHT have to eventually move locations in a SHTF scenario, how much can you pack with you really?

Prepared for a shortage? Yes. I think its always been wise to have a years worth of stuff on hand for stupid times. Beyond that it kind of can get silly at times.

That being said I have a bit of a stash and increase it as time allows so that if I need a certain powder for a new round, but everyone is paranoid at the time, and its not in stock, that I"ll still have some. The primer "scare" did it to me. If I was only hunting and recreational shooting, I'd always have enough. But for 20,000 rounds a year of competition... not so.
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this. If just the other 3 major US rimfire makers...CCI, WW, Federal...are cranking out similar numbers as Remington then we're talking 10 BILLION rounds in the last year! I personaly don't know anyone that is hoarding, mainly because they can't find any. The range officer at the local range said rimfire usage there has declined significantly in the last year because of the shortage. How many of you guys are holding large quantities? I probably have around 1500-2000 rounds, but they were purchased long before any shortages.
I know several guys who have 100,000+ rds, and much of that has been purchased since the last election. Myself, I have close to 10,000, and do not consider that remotely excessive.
1500 to 2000 rounds ain't even a drop. At least not for 22. I can't ever recall not buying it by the case at a minimum. But thats the way I've bought primers for a long time too.

100K, I'd think that would be about the average stash, if you want a supply to last.

But some folks don't shoot much either, thats a given.
Originally Posted by tmitch
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around this. If just the other 3 major US rimfire makers...CCI, WW, Federal...are cranking out similar numbers as Remington then we're talking 10 BILLION rounds in the last year! I personaly don't know anyone that is hoarding, mainly because they can't find any. The range officer at the local range said rimfire usage there has declined significantly in the last year because of the shortage. How many of you guys are holding large quantities? I probably have around 1500-2000 rounds, but they were purchased long before any shortages.

This, and the highlighted part is what I can't get my mind around.

A trickle I can understand, but the seemingly total absence in some places for an extended period is what I can't fathom.

You can't hoard what you can't find and buy.

Paul
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I am usually not too wrapped up in the topics that get posted above under the Hunters Campfire about DHS and 450 billion rounds of ammo, the de-arming of America, Obama's Muslin/Al Qaida connection etc.

But I do feel there is a problem with .22 LR ammo. I live in Rural America. I have some casual connections at our gun shops.

There has been NO .22 LR "trickling in" like powders and primers. AR seem readily available. As are magazines. I just bought and assembled an upper via Midway. Lots of options.

So WTF is going on with powder and .22 LR?

I do not believe they are making 1,000,000 rounds a day. There are no bricks trickling in. There are no buckets of 1400 rounds of Remington trickling in. No Blazer. Nada.

Has anyone been to a plant in the last 3-4 months?

Has anyone at a large chain (Cabelas, Scheels, Dicks) seen bricks arrive? Or cases of powder?

I've not heard, read, or spoken to anyone either in retail or guys finding and buying any.

In general, I am not really believing the Hoarding excuse at this time. At the onset, 8-11 months ago, absolutely. But now, no clue.

It can be purchased for $25-$30.00 a brick, and sold within the week for $65.00 a brick. That's why the only stores that have ammo in stock all the time, are the ones charging $65.00 a brick.

Last time I visited Minneapolis everybody seemed to know somebody that worked at the Federal plant. They are running 24/7 and 365.

Travis
Originally Posted by Paul39

This, and the highlighted part is what I can't get my mind around.

A trickle I can understand, but the seemingly total absence in some places for an extended period is what I can't fathom.

You can't hoard what you can't find and buy.

Paul

It's hitting the stores. Mostly the big stores, but it is getting delivered. It's just being bought and sold faster than most can get there.

Travis
Interesting, there has never been NOTHING here in my area of Texas. Yes maybe a couple of weeks of no one having some, but you could almost always find a few boxes if you looked at all the local places often enough.

Even now there is ammo around. Actually more in the last 3 months or so than it had been for some time, but as noted, its around.

Wonder if someone actually had the number of folks that sold ammo in the US? I bet that 10 billion rounds, divided into 500 round bricks normally, ain't gonna be that much ammo really in hte end spread over 365 dyas of a year.

But then again I think that most of it dissappears in the cities. The exact ones that elected this [bleep] to office. They reap what they sew for that part of it anyway.
Try to look on the bright side and that is, sooner or later all these knuckleheads will be offering the sale of the Century !!!!
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Try to look on the bright side and that is, sooner or later all these knuckleheads will be offering the sale of the Century !!!!

No they won't. They are buying it below the market value. Even if we wake up tomorrow morning and the supply meets the demand, they can still break even.

It's a no brainer.

Travis
Note what I have highlighted from my post:

"A trickle I can understand, but the seemingly total absence in some places for an extended period is what I can't fathom."

From what I can sense, it isn't uniform around the country. Some places have it, others don't.

Paul

Originally Posted by rost495
Interesting, there has never been NOTHING here in my area of Texas. Yes maybe a couple of weeks of no one having some, but you could almost always find a few boxes if you looked at all the local places often enough.

Even now there is ammo around. Actually more in the last 3 months or so than it had been for some time, but as noted, its around.

Wonder if someone actually had the number of folks that sold ammo in the US? I bet that 10 billion rounds, divided into 500 round bricks normally, ain't gonna be that much ammo really in hte end spread over 365 dyas of a year.

But then again I think that most of it dissappears in the cities. The exact ones that elected this [bleep] to office. They reap what they sew for that part of it anyway.

I haven't seen 22LR where I live in Texas since March time frame. 17HMR and 22 short if anything recent. 22mag since January.
You think they are getting all this ammo from distributors ?
If 2 mil people buy 5000 rounds it adds up to 10 BIL.

Some are. Some aren't.

Travis

CCI makes Federal's rimfire ammo so, at a minimum, you'll need to adjust your numbers down a bit. I've met with ammo VPs from 2 of the major manufacturers in the past 30 days- there's no conspiracy and it's not going to the government. We, the consumers, are buying it in unheard of quantities that the pipeline is not designed to feed. Like ARs and 5.56mm ammo, the supply will eventually meet he demand but it will take longer.
I just checked...
CCI plant here is 2.49 miles from my house if I fly.
I promise you they are making 4 million rounds per day, every day.
It is shipping out ALL OVER THE WORLD.
Backorders are YEARS out.
EVERY DAY they get orders for more, which will be on backorder for YEARS. (read 1-2 years)

If you have 20,000 rounds already QUIT BUYING.......

EVENTUALLY the market will correct itself.
It would do it sooner, if we would quit buying every round as soon as it shows.
Not intending to start additional pissing matches, but I don't agree with 100K being the "average" lay in. I'm with the other 3 Broke Dick guys who have 2-3000 on hand.

I have to renig and state that I have seen some ammo.......22 LONG not LR showed up as well as a few boxes of shorts(insert dull, uninspiring firework pop here)

Just think about it, no ammo in TX.

You Texicans always talking about secession and all that independent thinking like you were once a Republic or something... shocked

Big Brother probably has you guys on a "special handling" list... blush

You all may have to slip over into Louisiana for some one to vouch for you so you can buy a box of Super X long rifle ammo... cool

Come on a dark, moon free night... grin

DF
So if that is really the case how far out do backorders have to be until you put more money into additional/larger production facilities and increase supply? With a 2 year backorder you would think any increase in production would increase revenue the same amount.
Jesse,
next time you are in CDA, go to Black Sheep and get a little. grin

They have had it for months if you want to pay 12.00 per 100 for CCI.

P.S. I don't.
Originally Posted by deflave

Some are. Some aren't.

Travis

How much do you think is bought with the intention of actually shooting it one day ? You know, the non-Barak and non-Real Hawkeye types ?
Originally Posted by wageslave

Yeah, except there's probably more like 50 million people trying to buy ammo. Say a plant is turning out 6 million rounds a day. That's 2.19 Billion a year, if they run 365 days a year. If divided equally amongst those 50 million people (just a flying guess there), it would come out to 43.8 rounds of ammo per person, per year, from that plant.

How many plants are making 22 ammo in the US, three or four? It's not hard to see why there's a shortage, when some folks are buying 10s of thousands of rounds.

Its really none of your business what or how much I buy, or maintain. For me, 20,000 is the damn low side of comfortable. My kids and I can burn 1000-1500 rds of .22 in a lazy Saturday pretty damned easily. 20,000 rds doesnt buy many Saturdays.

Hell, I keep a minimum of 5,000 rds on hand of my common centerfire handgun calibers, and .223.
Originally Posted by Ruger280
So if that is really the case how far out do backorders have to be until you put more money into additional/larger production facilities and increase supply? With a 2 year backorder you would think any increase in production would increase revenue the same amount.

Well, Sir
you can ramp up production fast by running weekends or adding a third shift if you don't already have one, but buying, then installing new machines and getting them set up is a whole 'nother animal.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Yeah, except there's probably more like 50 million people trying to buy ammo. Say a plant is turning out 6 million rounds a day. That's 2.19 Billion a year, if they run 365 days a year. If divided equally amongst those 50 million people (just a flying guess there), it would come out to 43.8 rounds of ammo per person, per year, from that plant.

How many plants are making 22 ammo in the US, three or four? It's not hard to see why there's a shortage, when some folks are buying 10s of thousands of rounds.

'Zactly.
and it's WORLDWIDE buying.
Originally Posted by liliysdad

Its really none of your business what or how much I buy, or maintain. For me, 20,000 is the damn low side of comfortable. My kids and I can burn 1000-1500 rds of .22 in a lazy Saturday pretty damned easily. 20,000 rds doesnt buy many Saturdays.

Hell, I keep a minimum of 5,000 rds on hand of my common centerfire handgun calibers, and .223.

Sweet.
How much can I sell you at 65 a brick?
Yeah that's my point it seems any new machines and equipment would quickly be paid for. Not much net in rimfire ammo I guess?
ATK went a different way.
They bought Savage and Bushnell. grin

They diversified...... cause they know when this is over, they will be laying off workers and going back to "normal" production.

Hey you wouldn't happen to live over in east tx would you? I think that might be you and your family next to my deer lease out having a good time every Saturday afternoon grin

Your story is pretty extraordinary but I don't think it is rare. Great way to bring up some excellent marksmen.

How much do you think is bought with the intention of actually shooting it one day ? You know, the non-Barak and non-Real Hawkeye types ?

A small fraction.

The vast majority of the shortage is caused by retail stores selling 100% below the market value.

That's why the stores like Cheaper Than Dirt have inventory, and Wal-Mart and Big R's do not.

If the retail stores would jack their pricing for the next year, things would level off. Until they do, there will be a shortage.

Travis

Sweet.
How much can I sell you at 65 a brick?

Not a single one. I have been buying here and there, but I havent bought a single round at anything other than normal prices. The shop I frequent keeps what they get for regular customers and those who buy guns from them. They dont mark it up to anything but normal prices.
2,000 rounds a Saturday eh?

Ok.

Travis
Not intending to start additional pissing matches, but I don't agree with 100K being the "average" lay in. I'm with the other 3 Broke Dick guys who have 2-3000 on hand.

I have to renig and state that I have seen some ammo.......22 LONG not LR showed up as well as a few boxes of shorts(insert dull, uninspiring firework pop here)

Don't start with broke... I"m probably teh lowest paid city inspector in existance. Wife makes more than I do.

Ammo is a choice. If you can't afford much, then you don't shoot much.

Of course when ammo was afforable a case of 5000 rounds wasn't that much. You do like we did. Skip a meal out. Dont' buy beer for the next month. Eat hot dogs. I eat a PBJ sandwhich quite often. It offsets my priorities. But when I eat a ribeye, then I know that I might not be able to pay for bait, or another box or two of shotgun shells. Or the gas to drive over to the lake to duck hunt and so on.
I believe the number I quoted was 1000-1500, not 2000. Of course, 1500 is the upper end, but 1000 is not abnormal. Me, my daughter, my wife, and maybe another friend, thats 250 a piece. harld much shooting. Hell, 500rd of 9mm or .223 is fairly normal in a range trip.

Don't start with broke... I"m probably teh lowest paid city inspector in existance. Wife makes more than I do.

Ammo is a choice. If you can't afford much, then you don't shoot much.

Of course when ammo was afforable a case of 5000 rounds wasn't that much. You do like we did. Skip a meal out. Dont' buy beer for the next month. Eat hot dogs. I eat a PBJ sandwhich quite often. It offsets my priorities. But when I eat a ribeye, then I know that I might not be able to pay for bait, or another box or two of shotgun shells. Or the gas to drive over to the lake to duck hunt and so on.

I have got to hand it to you, you do like to shoot laugh
I believe the number I quoted was 1000-1500, not 2000. Of course, 1500 is the upper end, but 1000 is not abnormal. Me, my daughter, my wife, and maybe another friend, thats 250 a piece. harld much shooting. Hell, 500rd of 9mm or .223 is fairly normal in a range trip.

Ok. Not sure where you live but we shoot gophers all spring and early summer and I'm not averaging 1,500 rounds a Saturday. And myself as well as everybody else I know throttled way back this season due to lack of inventory.

Travis

Travis
I have throttled back, as well. I am in no way attempting to insinuate that ammo is not harder to find that it once was. I was trying to make the point that 20,000 rd of .22 is not very much. Further, I never once said I am shooting 1500rd every Saturday, only that 1500rd is not out of line on a Saturday outing to the range. How often those Saturdays happen is variable, based on schedule, weather, etc.

Thankfully, I have managed to maintain a fairly decent amount of stock on hand. It has dipped somewhat, to around 10,000rd, which makes me uncomfortable. I have simply resorted to shooting a lot more 9mm, .223, and .45, of which I have plenty, and can readily make more of.

Exactly.
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch

Exactly.

IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his azz.
Well I have 7000 rounds of 22LR but the last brick I bought was in 2006! Ammo here in CT has been spotty to you can buy all the shotgun shells you want. The shortage has been with the 9mm 40 and 45 pistol 22 LR 223 308 for the most part. I seen 270 30-06 on the shelf in most places and since I shoot a 7mm RM I have not had a problem finding ammo. I have enough to keep me in venison for the next 35 years- on an expenditure of two shots to check zero and two shots to fill the two tags I get. We have some new laws here, we have to get a permit just to buy ammo now, and there is the Long gun and shotgun permit that takes effect next April. I been told not to even bother with those just do a Pistol Permit and be done with it. Since the other two is pretty much the same. The only bright side is that Crossbows are now ok for deer hunting and we can hunt deer with them till the last day in Jan. Also on Sunday now on private land. Archery only. I don't see any end in sight to this, till the next mid term and the Democrats loose the Senate, and then loose the White House in 2016. Even then its going to take years for things to get back to some what normal. I am still going to shoot, but I am also going to spend more time with Archery- longer season and well I am still going to hunt.
I have throttled back, as well. I am in no way attempting to insinuate that ammo is not harder to find that it once was. I was trying to make the point that 20,000 rd of .22 is not very much. Further, I never once said I am shooting 1500rd every Saturday, only that 1500rd is not out of line on a Saturday outing to the range. How often those Saturdays happen is variable, based on schedule, weather, etc.

Thankfully, I have managed to maintain a fairly decent amount of stock on hand. It has dipped somewhat, to around 10,000rd, which makes me uncomfortable. I have simply resorted to shooting a lot more 9mm, .223, and .45, of which I have plenty, and can readily make more of.

Right. So do I. And I have a schit ton of the stuff, but I'm still throttling back and not buying excessive amounts when I find it.

Which was wageslave's point when he wrote the post regarding the arbitrary number of 20,000.

Travis
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

IF a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his azz.

For the first time, TAK is right.

Asking people not to buy and sell high is stupid. Thinking people won't snatch up what they find when something is in demand is ridiculous.

The price dictates flow. Retail stores need to jack their prices until things level off. Nobody likes to hear it. Nobody wants to say it, but business is business and things will not level off until the retail stores price the product based on the market.

If gas was being sold @ 1.99 at a gas station, and all the other gas stations were selling it 3.99, which gas station do you think will go empty first?

It ain't complicated.

Travis
"The price is what the market will bear."
Eco 101
The only thing that stuck with me. Lol
Thou shalt not dispute TheWarrior.

Leviticus [bleep].

Travis
Lol. I've only got about 5000. Last week my lgs had plenty of everything. Loaded ammo. However, their prices reflect the current market. Also, they have a one brick minimum on .22. I also checked with the nearest academy sports. They don't have the one box of each rule they had all summer and their prices where close to Wally's. Wal mart here at the grape had a few cases of champion .45. It was 23 bucks. I didn't buy any. They also had some fed .223 packs in 250 or so that I had never seen before. It feels like it's coming back strong here though I'm still waiting for some lil gun and rl15.
Good luck with the RL 15...

Travis
Whoa! Don't buy beer for a MONTH!! Hot dogs instead of a Rib-Eye steak!? OMG! Whats this world coming to? After I shoot some .22's, gonna go have a rib-eye and a couple of beers. There.

Try to have a bit fun with what you have.[burp!]
Jesse is right on the mark,the amount of 22 LR and powder is definitely in short supply ,beyond what the hoarders are taking
I spoke with the dept manager at the Wal-Mart here the other day. Took 45 minutes to sell out, the last time they got some in.

Originally Posted by RickcNY
Jesse is right on the mark,the amount of 22 LR and powder is definitely in short supply ,beyond what the hoarders are taking

Powder is definitely in short supply.

22LR is easily explained.

Travis
How many primers does one need to order to make the $27.50 Hazmat charge worth the cost? 2000? 3000?

I would order 8 lbs of Ramshot Big Game with them, but Big Game seems to be in short supply.
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
How many primers does one need to order to make the $27.50 Hazmat charge worth the cost? 2000? 3000?

I would order 8 lbs of Ramshot Big Game with them, but Big Game seems to be in short supply.

2,000? That's kid schit.

Travis
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

2,000? That's kid schit.

Travis

So...you're saying you think 3000 minimum? 4000?

BTW I have seem a bunch of kid [bleep], cloth diapers and all.
I would never consider ordering less than 5000 primers.

Me either.

Travis
Ran by Walamrt last night. It's about the only place within an hours drive of here to buy ANY fixed ammunition of any kind and during the last year ever since "O" was recrowned.

There have been NO .22 ammo on the shelves a few boxes of 17HMR or .22 mags but NO .22LR.

All of it was being snapped up by the hoarders early in the morning when the stuff was unloaded off the truck.. Last night I noticed most of the ammo case was now filling up again, including .223 and 9mm..

And lo an behold -several BRICKS of CCI 22 MINI MAG HP 100 packs for $7.50 per hundred which works out to about $37.50 per 500.

So, things are looking a bit better right now.

o if that is really the case how far out do backorders have to be until you put more money into additional/larger production facilities and increase supply?

The Remington Plant at Lonoke is expanding as we speak. This was announced a few months back and they are building. I do not have a time line when it will start producing. miles

Travis

Not here it aint.
Jesse Jaymes: I am constantly travelling and over the last 13+ months I have constantly been looking for rimfire ammo!
I have NO idea why there is a shortage I just KNOW there is!
I know NUMEROUS Gunshop owners and dozens of gunshop and sporting goods store employees and they all agree with my observations regarding rimfire ammo shortages.
Some rimfire ammo burps up from time to time but in no where near the amounts available in years past!
Again, this is confirmed by my trusted gunshop friends.
BUT, according to one gun wag on this forum "there is NO shortage" - I personally think this cretin has lost his marbles or doesn't get out much!
I am especially concerned about not being able to find quality 22 L.R. hollow-point ammo and 17 Mach2 ammo!
I am considering buying a few of the "buriable" MTM ammo storage units!
Conspiracy or not I want to have some ammo "available" for myself and my family "come what may"!
Better safe than sorry.
I had occassion to confer with several of my local shooting friends regarding this issue just yesterday and we all felt the "cost" of ammo (both centerfire and rimfire) will never go down again - and it "probably" won't be available like it has been in the past!
We as shooters and Hunters are going to have to have a "plan".
I have mine.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Travis

Not here it aint.

Cool. Can you grab me some RL15?

Travis
RL15

right now it seems like RL15 was just a dream that i had ... it never really existed. i could have sworn there used to be shelves full of it though
Sounds like Swifty can help us out.

Travis

Me either.

Travis

I didn't realize they sold primers in less than 5000 per case.

Well I do know better but ain't done that in years....

Travis

LGS on thur had some AA 5 which I needed also 9 so a pound of each.
RL 15, 17, 19 , 22, and 25 they had 8's in 15 and 22, the rest were 1's along w/15 and 22.
1's and 8's H- 322, 335, cfe 223, 4895, 4831sc, 4350 and a smattering of others in 1's. No Varget.
The IMR line up was full but just 1's.
Ramshot and AA are still hit and miss.
Primers are available except Federal.
Brass is available in 223, 22.250, and 243 after that it's hit and miss. Some shows and it's gone.
The last few months I have been able to find anything I have needed except Swift brass at pre panic prices, you just gotta look.
I went to the Gun Show this weekend and it was selling for around $10/100 or $50 for a brick of American Eagle.

Also talked with the NRA recruiter and he had signed up 2 people all weekend and this was Sunday afternoon.
Hey, guys, I just ran into a gunshop with a limit of one brick per customer/wk. They had Rem. Thunderbolts and Golden 22 hollow points for $24/525 rds.. Some have had trouble with this ammo, I have had NONE.. Winchester was the junk I had to deal with.. At least in some areas, 22 ammo is back..
I can check on powder.. But deer season is due to open so I am not sure what would be available.. Hopefully will check tomorrow..Then the next deal will be to get back to the internet..

Travis

LGS on thur had some AA 5 which I needed also 9 so a pound of each.
RL 15, 17, 19 , 22, and 25 they had 8's in 15 and 22, the rest were 1's along w/15 and 22.
1's and 8's H- 322, 335, cfe 223, 4895, 4831sc, 4350 and a smattering of others in 1's. No Varget.
The IMR line up was full but just 1's.
Ramshot and AA are still hit and miss.
Primers are available except Federal.
Brass is available in 223, 22.250, and 243 after that it's hit and miss. Some shows and it's gone.
The last few months I have been able to find anything I have needed except Swift brass at pre panic prices, you just gotta look.

They don't make 8's of 15 or 22.

Travis
Cool, I will take a pic of the 8 lb keg of 22 I bought last month when I get home. Price was 168.00 = 21.00 a lb
Ok.

Travis
thought it used to be only 5 pounders.
swifty, it may have been more like $33.60/lb

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/reloder22.aspx
I wish they made eights!
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Hey, guys, I just ran into a gunshop with a limit of one brick per customer/wk. They had Rem. Thunderbolts and Golden 22 hollow points for $24/525 rds.. Some have had trouble with this ammo, I have had NONE.. Winchester was the junk I had to deal with.. At least in some areas, 22 ammo is back..
I can check on powder.. But deer season is due to open so I am not sure what would be available.. Hopefully will check tomorrow..Then the next deal will be to get back to the internet..

Serious request, please mic the driving band on the Rem stuff and tell me what you get. I had problems with the Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts but I'm not sure how old the rounds were. But spot checking in a 500rnd box of Gold(I think it's 500) and several 50 round boxes of Thunderbolt I was getting diameters mostly from 0.225 to 0.228. Some were 0.223 to 0.224 but I would guess not more than 20% or so. Work fine in revolver or bolt gun but turned Ruger Mark and M&P 22 pistol into Jamamatics. Curious if the new production is oversize as well. Thanks
I travel a lot throughout MN. I've been seeing some CCI .22's of different varieties. Not lots, but a little here and there.

One place a month ago had a few pallets of Remingtons Bucket of Bullets (90.00 bucks a tub). Last week, they didn't have any left.

They had a handful of Federal Bricks 40.00 bucks a brick I recall? Also had some CCI Standard Velocity for 40.00 a brick.

Been seeing more powder, not tons but shelves are starting to fill back up at least.
Cool, I will take a pic of the 8 lb keg of 22 I bought last month when I get home. Price was 168.00 = 21.00 a lb

Must be a helluva commute!

Travis
Love thy neighbor. Malachi 9:16
shootem,

I've had exactly the same problem with Remington .22 Long Rifle ammo in more than one auto, in both handguns and rifles. Generally I only keep enough Remington on hand for testing a new firearm, so the test will show every possible brand. But I'm curious about the new production as well.
Swiiiifty..... Where are you Swifty?

Travis
Travis

If you want a picture of an 8 pounder that bad, let me see if I can just get a pic of the left one.
Extremely limited supply of 22LR available around here at normal retail locations. I know of one gun store that's had a supply for a couple of months: Remington Thunderbolts for $60 a brick and Win 325 bulk packs for $40. I'm not buying at those prices! And that's probably why they're the only place to have some on the shelf..
Originally Posted by RWE
Travis

If you want a picture of an 8 pounder that bad, let me see if I can just get a pic of the left one.

Too [bleep]' funny...

Travis
Thankfully we can grow our own food. Thats a big plus over and beyond making 22 rimfire ammo.

But its a reminder might should stock the freezer with a bit of spare seeds of all kinds too.

If your freezer is self defrosting it is not a good place to store seeds.

I think Swifty's camera broke.

Travis
You guys who blow away thousands of rounds each weekend only began to do so as the ammo shortage crisis began? If no, why should your average use have any relation to the current shortage? IMO you are irrelevant to the current problem or solution.

1B
I have wondered how many people have gotten out of the sport due to the shortage? I could see someone pre-freak out, who just got into the sport and now that they can't get out and shoot their .22 or teach their kid to shoot just gave up and moved on to something else they can actually do on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by DillWeasel
I have wondered how many people have gotten out of the sport due to the shortage? I could see someone pre-freak out, who just got into the sport and now that they can't get out and shoot their .22 or teach their kid to shoot just gave up and moved on to something else they can actually do on a regular basis.

Christ, let's hope so.

Travis
I heard the chinese govt is buying all the .22 Lr. They are issuing 22s to their soldiers now and figure it will be lighter to ship the 22s when they invade the States
Haven't been on the net for a while... busy deer hunting, but have a few days between hunts.. The Rem. .22 hollow point ammo is sold out.. They still had many, many boxes of Thunderbolts.. Sunday they had the "Bucket of Bullets" 1400 for $69. The limit was 10 percustomer.. The 525 packs were gone.. Figured I might pick up a couple of buckets for friends of mine when I passed by the gunshop on the way to the dentist.. The buckets were gone..
As for the Rem. ammo, the only trouble I have had with it, my Marlin 39A didn't want to feed it though the magazine very well, so I shoot cci's in it.. But in my CZ and several Rem. bolt guns it shoots fine.. Don't think I have tried it in the Ruger 10-22 or my auto pistol.. Right now the ammo I bought is packed away for the trip home.. Looks like it is beginning to break inthis area anyway.. Lots of powder on the shelves at about 26/pound.. Bullets did seem in less supply ... Hope things are improving all over..
© 24hourcampfire