Home
Posted By: Kellywk Persian mauser model 49 - 02/16/14
I've been looking at a Persian model 49 that has been sporterized The work appears well done but it still has the military barrel with a rough bore. As an 8x57 doesn't really excite me it would eventually be rebarreled. I'm wondering about the action strength and suitable cartridge length if anyone could provide some help. Thanks
Posted By: djs Re: Persian mauser model 49 - 02/16/14
The Persian model 49 is a Model 98 Mauser and will handle any suitable cartridge. IIRC, these were finely finished.

According to Stuart Mowbray in his book "Bolt Action Military Actions of he World", he says "This attractive and handy weapon ..... was manufactured at the State Rifle Factory in Mosalsalsasi. This factory was set up by the Czechoslovaks." These carbines are based upon the popular Czechoslovak Model 30 carbine, which had been supplied to Iran along with the 1938 rifle contract."

Well made rifle.
Posted By: bucktales Re: Persian mauser model 49 - 02/16/14
How rough is the bore?
The 8x57 may pleasantly surprise you.
My Persian certainly barks and is one of my favorite woods rifle.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: krupp Re: Persian mauser model 49 - 02/17/14
I wish I had bought several of the Persian contract rifles when the were $200/each in VG condition at SAMCO. Now they run close to $500. I personally would screw on a Walther or Kreiger barrel in .06 or 9.3x62 and it will outlast almost anything made on the market today.
The receiver alone is worth it's weight in gold.
© 24hourcampfire