Home
Posted By: tommyd53 Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Loctite on Base Screws, but NOT on Ring Screws. Correct?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
That's the standard procedure. There's really no need for Loc-Tite on the ring screws because most scope tubes have a little give. Consequently there's some tension on the ring screws to keep them from working loose, even when the screws areonly tightened to 15-20 inch-pounds.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Also best to use Gun-tite�not Loc-tite�.you'll be sorry for that eventually...
Posted By: tommyd53 Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Thanks guys
Gun-Tite is basically blue Loctite, so screws put in place with either are equally easy to remove.
Posted By: mathman Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Stay away from the one called stud and bearing mount. It's a bit much for fifteen inch pound screws. grin
I use Loc-Tite #242 medium-strength thread locker. Have never had a problem getting my mounts apart, but on a couple of occasions bought rifles with the bases put on with tougher stuff. Had to heat the bases to get 'em off!
Originally Posted by tommyd53
Loctite on Base Screws, but NOT on Ring Screws. Correct?

Correct. Also remember blue is your friend..
Posted By: slm9s Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
what's the downside to using it on ring screws?
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Also, make sure the loc-title is dry before you install it. This is the correct way to use the stuff. It holds better and will release more cleanly when done correctly.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Originally Posted by slm9s
what's the downside to using it on ring screws?

I don't know, I use it on ring screws also.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
If you degrease both the holes and the screws, there's really no need for Loctite at all

If you use it on the ring screws and your scope goes bad, you'll have a tough time getting it apart, whereas the bases rarely need to be removed
Posted By: aalf Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
I use blue on everything, and am continually switching schitt around....
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Scope mounting question - 04/12/14
Originally Posted by aalf

+1
Posted By: ClaysEtc Re: Scope mounting question - 04/13/14
I'm old, I have used nail polish for years.

Screws don't come lose and easy to remove.
[Linked Image]

Your favorite color or clear.
Posted By: selmer Re: Scope mounting question - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by aalf

aalf took the words right out of my mouth...or from my keyboard?
Posted By: Joe Re: Scope mounting question - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by ClaysEtc
I'm old, I have used nail polish for years.

Screws don't come lose and easy to remove.
[Linked Image]

Your favorite color or clear.

My favorite is Streetwalker Red. grin
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Scope mounting question - 04/16/14
Originally Posted by Snyper
If you degrease both the holes and the screws, there's really no need for Loctite at all

If you use it on the ring screws and your scope goes bad, you'll have a tough time getting it apart, whereas the bases rarely need to be removed

If you are recommending having the thread surfaces clean, dry and absent of any lubrication, you may throw off a proper torque reading or feel of torque on the screw, because you will be feeling and reading friction between the dry threads. Most recommend having some form of lubrication on the threads to read and feel proper torque on the screws. Leupold has claimed to conduct extensive testing over the decades and reports neither advantage nor disadvatage to using thread locker vs oil, provided it is the low strength blue type. But, they do find disadvantage to running scope ring and mount screws completely dry.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Scope mounting question - 04/16/14
Leupold has claimed to conduct extensive testing over the decades and reports neither advantage nor disadvatage to using thread locker vs oil, provided it is the low strength blue type. But, they do find disadvantage to running scope ring and mount screws completely dry.

If you degrease the holes just before you put the screws in, there is generally still solvent left in them

I've mounted literally hundreds of scopes that way, and haven't had any problems.

Locktite on guns really isn't needed if you get the screws tight in the first place
Posted By: muddy22 Re: Scope mounting question - 04/16/14
My gunmaker told me to put the thread locker, whatever you use, on the top of the screw head so it runs into the gap between the sides of the screw head and the ring or base. That way you can get them out and seals from water penetration. After reading MD's book I don't farmer tighten the ring screws anymore, hard habit to break, I grew up on a cattle ranch. As per GaryVA torque is measured w/lubricated surfaces.-Muddy
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Scope mounting question - 04/17/14
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I use Loc-Tite #242 medium-strength thread locker. Have never had a problem getting my mounts apart, but on a couple of occasions bought rifles with the bases put on with tougher stuff. Had to heat the bases to get 'em off!

Have struck that, I just apply a soldering iron to the top of the screw head.
© 24hourcampfire