Not planning on a bear attacking me.
But use a seatbelt in my van
Soo
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
16in SS Marlin in 45/70
Posted By: billc1111 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Have used a 45-70 before
But am better with pumps.
What I would like is thoughts on the two options I asked about.
The Browning becomes a 12 bore rifle after it gets a slug barrel.used a 7600 on deer for awhile.
Over the summer the Browning would shot 100's of times at clays and skeet.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14

You might repost this in the Alaska forum and see what the local talent carries when they go fishing.
I'd go with an 11-87 that had been worked over, with a tactical bolt handle on it or better yet, a Benelli. A shotgun requires an 18in bbl without an ATF tax stamp. A rifle can be 16in.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
I just never realized the fish in Alaska were so dangerous. I mean, I can see if you were stuck on an ice floe and being stalked by a herd of Orcas, but just regular fishing... ?
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I just never realized the fish in Alaska were so dangerous. I mean, I can see if you were stuck on an ice floe and being stalked by a herd of Orcas, but just regular fishing... ?

It ain't the fish, it's the visitor that is convinced you just landed dinner for him/her...which can happen about anywhere in Alaska.

On a budget, a pump with an 18 inch barrel is common, the semi-auto is less so.

There are ANCIENT, well-worn paths that bears use to converge on streams starting about a few weeks from now. They show up in numbers about the same time the fishermen do.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Tongue in cheek is just lost on this place.

But that's okay, it's no fun if you make it too obvious... wink
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
The foot in mouth posts that follow the tongue in cheek posts are what make threads so good....
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Whichever is shorter, lighter; I prefer 20" barrels (or less) on a gun that I intend to carry but not shoot. Cumbersome somehow isn't handy when the need arises; (too easy to walk away from that which becomes a nuisance.) The package is more important than the quantity of lead or powder IMO.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Best thing you can carry is between your ears.

Next best thing for fishing (IMO) would be a DA revolver, in say 44 mag (minimum) with 320 grain hardcast bullets loaded with stout amounts of W296. Buffalo Bore makes some 340 gr +P ammo that will get your attention in a 44 mag. Mine has a long barrel, but for fishing, I wish it had a 4 or 5" bbl.

I know your asking about long guns, but IMO a long gun is not going to be too convenient to carry around if your fishing...and in the unlikely event that you have to shoot at a bear, it ought to be well within 20 yards.

If you shoot a bear in self defense that is 50 yards from you, you gonna have some splainin' to do Lucy.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
When in doubt, throw some fish at the bear and get the hell out of there. It's a lot easier than shooting the bear. But the Remington 7600 in .35 Whelen is a decent choice, just keep the pressures on the low side for ultimate reliability in severe conditions. I would prefer the sectional density of a rifle bullet over a shotgun slug every day. Shotgun slugs on dangerous game in Africa are well proven failures; stick to the rifle.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by Pittu
Best thing you can carry is between your ears.

Next best thing for fishing (IMO) would be a DA revolver, in say 44 mag (minimum) with 320 grain hardcast bullets loaded with stout amounts of W296. Buffalo Bore makes some 340 gr +P ammo that will get your attention in a 44 mag. Mine has a long barrel, but for fishing, I wish it had a 4 or 5" bbl.

I know your asking about long guns, but IMO a long gun is not going to be too convenient to carry around if your fishing...and in the unlikely event that you have to shoot at a bear, it ought to be well within 20 yards.

If you shoot a bear in self defense that is 50 yards from you, you gonna have some splainin' to do Lucy.

+1

A rifle will be worthless if it's leaning against a tree 20yds away. A DA revolver with an easy to wear holster is the way to go. Whatever you give up in power you more than make up for in convienence.
Posted By: LeroyJenkins Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
TC1 & Pittu

Please take the 44 mag of your choice, and try to unload all six shots at a dinner plate at say 7 yards, as fast as possible. Come back when you realize the logistics of a bear attack and rapid double action 44 mag fire don't work out too well.

Give me a glock and hold the fluff.
Maybe your 'bama bears are a bit different than ours. Feel free to empty your glock into a brown bear and report back. ( laugh ) I never plan on getting 6 shots into a bear in a SHTF situation. Neither should you if you visit AK.

Something to be said for using what you shoot well. If that is a glock than it's better than a sharp stick I suppose.

The main point I make is that our highly evolved brains should be the first line of defense making a firearm a welcome yet distant backup.
Sling for carry
Unloading 2 454 rounds and not hitting anything is not helpful.
Can handle recoil in a long gun.
I will be hiking around also.
Camping.
The 4 years ,I was up there every one I knew carried guns.
Short barrel is about all I can do, to make it handy.
In that case, I'd carry the 35 (or the slug gun) and not give it too much thought.

Have a great trip. Starting out to be a great summer weather-wise. The fishing may leave something to be desired depending on where you'll be.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
You don't need some shotgun that's been built for tactical operations, that's just ludicrous. If you're that worried about bears, take a short barreled hunting rifle in 30-06 or bigger that you can shoot well, slung over your shoulder.

I carry my Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 with a ghost ring peep and front firesight, loaded with Garrett 420gr +p Hammerheads. I also use it for hunting bear and moose.
I have carried a Benelli M1 Super 90 in my skiff for bear protection. Works very well.

The Dixie Terminator Slug is the most Devestating slug that I have ever witnessed

The Terminator Slug is a 730 grain Wide Flat point hard cast (not soft lead)

At The Linebaugh Seminar in Jackson, Miss. the Terminator Slug made my 416 Rigby look puny

Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

I carry my Marlin 1895 XLR in 45-70 with a ghost ring peep and front firesight, loaded with Garrett 420gr +p Hammerheads. I also use it for hunting bear and moose.

That was my first suggestion but I'd whack that XLR barrel to 16in. Muzzle-down "African" carry on the support-hand side is the fastest/handiest way to carry a defensive carbine. A long barrel causes problems carried in that manner.
Copied from a form
Photos didn't copy
Sorry
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
TC1 & Pittu

Please take the 44 mag of your choice, and try to unload all six shots at a dinner plate at say 7 yards, as fast as possible. Come back when you realize the logistics of a bear attack and rapid double action 44 mag fire don't work out too well.

Give me a glock and hold the fluff.

You only need one or two if you have the requisite skill and a cool head:

http://www.wolfsongalaska.org/news/Alaska_current_events_882.htm

Having said that, I'd readily agree that a Glock 20, with the right load, would likely get the job done. This arguement is like Africans discussing whether to carry an FAL (shoots fast) or a 375 bolt gun going after wounded Buff. They both work, if you'll do.
Posted By: EdM Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Of the two, #1.
Bill the shotgun will fill your need perfect. Remember if you are in a boat muzzle up! Have fun
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
45-70/450 guide gun with 450+ grains of cast bullet, There's a reason most of the guides in B.C.'s big bear country pack one. Do some penetration tests VS a 12ga, slug it will become obvious. As for a hand gun, it's like my old mentor a 50 yr. guiding vet. once told me. "A hand gun for bear defence is like sex with a leaky condom, it gives you a full sense of security while being screwed"
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
16in SS Marlin in 45/70

Take a knee will have you at the border with a rifle you can't take into Canada. Their MINIMUM length is 18.5" Rifle or Shotgun.
Listen to people who live there. Are you going to be walking streams or fishing with a guide? What are you fishing for? How are you going to fish? Are you going to fly out? I've been places where bears were literally everywhere. If there are plenty of fish the bears are not really concerned about you, IF you use your head and don't get too close or between them and their cubs. I lived there for 33 years and either carried a Marlin 1895 45-70 or a 44 Mag handgun. I hope you can learn to shoot one between now and the time you go. A good hard cast with either gun I mentioned is extremely capable of taking a bear. We are talking here less than a 1% chance of having to use one. You will be ahead to read the book, Bear Encounter Survival Guide: James Gary Shelton .. Sharpen the weapon between your ears.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
[quote=Take_a_knee]16in SS Marlin in 45/70

Take a knee will have you at the border with a rifle you can't take into Canada. Their MINIMUM length is 18.5" Rifle or Shotgun.

When did that change? We have Canadian Fire members who say otherwise. One did a post about buying a "Mare's leg" and putting a stock on it because there was no law in Canada against it.
Just for fun
S&w 500 buffalo bore load
440 hard cast flat nose at 1325 fps

Dixie slug
870 gr hard cast flat nose at 1200 fps

Can some one tell me how the laws of physics is suspended when it comes to your big bore handguns?
And how many rounds I'd this can you crank off?
Of this
I hate auto fill
Of this
I hate auto fill
Posted By: Rovering Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
While many here are more expert than am I, It strikes me that the idea of smaller cartridges and or higher capacity guns to shoot a bear more times is silly.

If you had the time to empty a gun into him, it wasn't a bear attack, and you just shot Smokey for no good reason.

Alaskans will point at you and say rude things.

The Fish Cop will make it the most expensive trip of your life.

If we face a real bear attack, IMO we better stop it in a shot or two. A big Glock mag or tacticool shotgun tube are for Compton not Kodiak.
Posted By: EdM Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
I am sure that we have Canadian firearms members that have Prohib Licenses. An American travelling through won't. When I moved up there in 2004 the rule was in place.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm
Posted By: AKMATT Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
I don't often carry when I fish but fish with others that do. Fishing guides in the remote areas will carry short barrel pump shotguns that are parkerized, etc. Just remember if you set it down and walk 50 yards away from it, no matter how effective the firearm, it won't do you any good.

A 44 special revolver loaded hot or a cheap Glock 10mm is enough for me to carry when I do carry.

Matt
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/01/14
I've fished in Alaska quite a bit, always with guides. The guides have carried various long guns, including shotguns with deep-penetrating slugs, but many have carried relatively light and short medium-bore rifles. The rifles I remember specifically were a Remington 600 .350 Magnum and a Winchester 71 .348 carbine.

Others have carried larger-bore handguns, often with a can of bear pepper spray. A couple of guides have brought along several cans of bear spray and handed them out to the anglers when we started fishing.

So far nobody has been attacked, though there have been some displays and a couple of threat charges from sows with cubs. Nobody I've ever fished with has had to shoot a bear while fishing, though several have when guiding bear hunters who wounded them.
Originally Posted by Rovering
While many here are more expert than am I, It strikes me that the idea of smaller cartridges and or higher capacity guns to shoot a bear more times is silly.

You erroneously assume that if the bear makes it to you, it is "over". Evidence of actual attacks says otherwise. Years ago a grizzly stalked and took an Alaskan moose guide to the ground from behind. The guide drew his 454 Casull, stuck it behind his head and pulled the trigger. Said griz just happened to bite the muzzle as it discharged. Fight over, dead bear.

Lesson? Be prepared to stay in the [bleep] fight.
Originally Posted by EdM
I am sure that we have Canadian firearms members that have Prohib Licenses. An American travelling through won't. When I moved up there in 2004 the rule was in place.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

I stand corrected. 457mm equals 17.99 inches.
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
In general,IF the gun needs 2 hands for operation then under 18.5 is ok(mare's legs grizzlys etc) as it is non restricted but there are other in's and outs best to check, hand guns are definitely out.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14

This is what I would pack...Redhawk 45 Colt..or..

my Marlin GS 18" 45-70....along with a lot of common sense

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cdb Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14

Agreed.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by tikkanut

This is what I would pack...Redhawk 45 Colt..or..

my Marlin GS 18" 45-70....along with a lot of common sense

[Linked Image]

That is a dandy piece tikka nut ... Been thinking about picking up one of those when/if the money gets flowing again...
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Of the two you listed, I would recommend the rifle. Having used slugs on whitetail deer, I was never impressed with the horrible sectional density. Since you have some time before you come up here (where abouts, BTW?), I would suggest a little penetration testing: take two 5 gallon plastic buckets, fill them with sheets of newspaper and cardboard. (75/25, keeping everything nice and flat), then top them off with water until saturated. Snap the covers back on, and duct tape the the two buckets together, lid to lid. Shoot at the base from about 10 yards away so that your bullet has the opportunity to travel lengthwise through both of them. Let us know how well they penetrate.

I personally carry either my 329PD w/ 265s, a .30-06 w/ 200s, a .45-70 w/ 405s, or a .375HH w/ 270s. It all depends on how far I am hiking that day, and the perceived likelihood of running into a bear. In general, I am lazy and go w/ the .44 because it is lightweight, and bears are typically nice to me.

I also carry spray in addition to a firearm when fishing.

Best of luck, and I hope you have a great time fishing up here. Stay safe.
Posted By: zimhunter Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I have a rifle I was told was built for a well known outdoor writer as a rifle for use while fishing in Alaska. I just had to own it even though I don't fish and have never been to Alaska. I DO like to eat fresh salmon grilled with dill and mustard however. The rifle is an 03 Springfield with all original wood. Bolt handle was obviously forged by Les Womack as it has his distinctive stamp on root of handle. Safety has been modified to a Win Mdl 70 type. Scope mount is a G&H with a Lyman Alaskan scope. Trigger is a Timney. There is a small precision compass inset in left side of Buttstock - very accurate. The original trap buttplate has a plastic container that once came with Polaroid Film for coating the developed picture. It contains stick matches,monofilament line and fishhooks. The part that is totally unusual is the barrel has been shortened to 16" and has had all the associated metal and wood shortened the equivalent amount and remounted. Looks like an issue short barreled 03 in every respect. Stock is the original 03 straight grip model. Barrel is a 2 groove and it shoots 150gr factories like a good custom should. Have no idea who actually built/modified it other than the bolt modification stamp. Work is impeccable and mounting of G&H mount is so finely done it is hard to detect the two taper pins that are installed in the base. It's such an unusual modification I had to have it and the price was better than right.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I knew a guy who worked at Ft Wainwright decades ago that had a cutdown O3A3 Springfield for his bush gun. That big peep on the A3 was fast and flikking that bolt could be done post haste with no scope in the way. He carried 220 Corelokts in it.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by billc1111
Planning on spending time in AK this fall
Would like a long arm for protection
Am thinking of 2 ideas
1- a Remington 7600 35 whelen with 280 aframes at around 2100
2- a browning BPS 3 in 12 ga with Dixie slugs ( 660 gr hard cast at 1200
Under 50 yards both make big bore handguns look weak
The browning pump would / could be used at skeet
I am more of a bird hunter nowadays
Already use a pump 16 ga for birds
So 7600 or BPS
The Dixie's slug has already been used to hunt brown bear with good results
Have a white tail gun
Am slow at using a bolt
Can shoot doubles at skeet and sporting clays
Bill

OK. I actually read the OP. smile

Take the RIFLE.
Posted By: VernAK Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I thought I was on AOD for a minute there.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Another vote for the rifle.
Posted By: EdM Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Well I gave my view given the two options. That said, I bought this 500 Linebaugh from an Alaskan that had Hamilton build to carry whilst he fished up there. What do I know??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Yeah, the rifle would be the choice if fishing wasn't the planned activity, That's why I personally would use a pistol. Fishing with a rifle slung on my back just doesn't sound like it would be any fun and not having it in hand when needed seems kinda useless. You'll probably never need it, but if you do and it's lying on the ground out of reach or propped up on a tree it's worthless.

Best of luck on the trip!
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
1- a Remington 7600 35 whelen with 280 aframes at around 2100
2- a browning BPS 3 in 12 ga with Dixie slugs ( 660 gr hard cast at 1200

Between those two I'd go with the shorter/lighter/handier package...whichever that is. The 7600 with a 2.5 leupold would be nice...but I'm a rifle slut and like 35's.
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Question: Best weapon while fishing within Alaska's remote bear country?

Answer: Common sense.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I would find the most powerful pistol/ammo combo that was light enough to carry all the time. Truth is that you will not ever need it, but it makes you feel much better. I assume we are talking brown bears here. I don't know squat about black bears. Brown bears are much more concerned about fishing than messing with a person. Only two documented bear attack deaths in Katmai National Park. Park has been open for 80+ years and is littered with brown bears. Timothy Treadwell and sadly his girlfriend were the only ones killed. Treadwell aka. " Grizzly Man" basically begged for it by treating the bears like pets and likely feeding them.
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Originally Posted by bonefish
I would find the most powerful pistol/ammo combo that was light enough to carry all the time. Truth is that you will not ever need it, but it makes you feel much better. I assume we are talking brown bears here. I don't know squat about black bears. Brown bears are much more concerned about fishing than messing with a person. Only two documented bear attack deaths in Katmai National Park. Park has been open for 80+ years and is littered with brown bears. Timothy Treadwell and sadly his girlfriend were the only ones killed. Treadwell aka. " Grizzly Man" basically begged for it by treating the bears like pets and likely feeding them.

Yeah, right. Nothing makes me feel better than knowing someone else on the river might be packing an automatic pistol or a super-energy revolver and who's also possibly/probably never been confronted a wild bear that might (probably) only be "testing" the situation, at worst. Yeah, that gives me great peace=of-mind -- knowing that some inexperienced person might also be on the river and with a firearm and, possibly amongst innocent bears.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I don't know for the visitor but I have a perfect legally 14 inches pump action shotgun ... I can't bring it in Alaska too short (18 is the mini they want us to have) and a norinco hp9 ... works better that the 870s have seen lately.

my bps is 20 inches and is legal but I prefer shorter ...

we can own and use 12.5 inches barrel legally non restricted again I don't know for the visitors.

and I like very well brenneke slugs in 3".
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14

I seem to recall Phil Shoemaker saying he carries a S&W Mountain Gun in .44 mag AND a can of pepper spray when he goes fishing.

Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
Packing a big 12ga slug gun or a heavy ass rifle on my back all day while wading the river & fly fishing is not my ideal of fun.

My Ruger Redhawk 4" Custom Packer by Bowen is my go to fly fishing gun in big bear country. It rides very comfortably in a El Paso Saddlery Tanker Sholder Holster

Mines a 45 Colt Caliber and its loaded with Buffalo Bore's 325gr LFN Hard Cast bullet @ 1325 fps with 1260 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

That combo & a large can of Pepper Spray will handle any situation or animal of any kind I might run across. But your best tool is right between your ears!
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
I am wondering all the people who are recommending hand guns, how man have actually faced a bear charge with one? In the late 70s My uncle a Provincial Conservation Officer was on a bear complaint. A calf had been killed by a bear and partly consumed. As they approached the site a medium size Black Bear charged them at about 30 Yds with no bluff intended. We are talking a man who was raise and worked in the bush all his life and I can attest from other experiences he had ice water in his veins. He Pulled his 44mag and emptied 5 hot loaded 300 gr. cast bears toppers into the bear. It died with it front paw on my uncle's boot when the rancher put a 358 Win. bullet thru its spine. From that time on he never relied on a handgun for bear defence again, and neither would I especially not for Big G bears or AB Bears.
Posted By: RaySendero Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/02/14
OK - Here's what I got:

1) 6" 357 Mag revolver
2) 23" 870 turkey gun
3) 21.5" 303 w/ iron sights
4) 23" 458 WM w/ iron sights

What would ya'll pick?

Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
357 mag with as stout of fmj loads you can find.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
I used to carry a model 29 mountain gun 44mag. I was a fly-out flyfishing guide in Bristol Bay. Back then guns were illegal in Katmai National Park but we took them anyway. Outside the park we wore them holstered on our wader belt. I used 300 grain, overloaded fmj's made by Arctic Ammo. They were like firing a hand grenade. Only fired a couple of times at a can. Missed both times and declared myself armed for bear. I only pulled that gun once and it was on a cow moose with a calf. I had a couple of bluff charges and almost stepped on a sow with two tiny cubs laying on her back. She was totally camouflaged in the grass. Probably was within 50 yards of 500 coastal brown bears. Had one incident when I did not have a gun where I would have drawn it and might have needed it. Had a backpack full of salmon and a young scraggly, possibly starving, bear gave me and my clients trouble for about 20 minutes. Would have been an ideal time for pepper spray. A 44mag likely would not stop a charging bear without a very lucky shot. Brown bears do not want to mess with you. The one exception to this is if you are so unlucky as to get close to a buried kill that a bear is guarding. This is what gets people killed. Fishing bears are so full of fish that they usually are too fat to kill a moose or caribou. I would not want to go fishing with a shotgun slung over my shoulder.
Posted By: mart Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
I have been piloting rafts 2-3 times a summer for church groups for 11 years. It's strictly a volunteer effort on the part of several members of the ministry program. I am one of the volunteer staff who carries during the trip. While I will concede the power and accuracy of a rifle or shotgun over a handgun, neither are as convenient. I carry a 4" Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt loaded with 300 grain hard cast bullets going about 1150 fps. It is very shootable and accurate and always on my hip. If I was carrying a rifle I'm afraid it would end up leaning against a tree out of reach when I needed it.

I also carry bear spray. In my eleven years we have have never had a bad bear encounter but we preach common sense from the start of the trips, secure our food wisely and have the advantage of a large group. That may or may not be a deterrent but I tend to believe it is a bit of a discouragement for most bears.

I might consider bringing my Ruger Deerstalker with 265 grain Hornady flat points. It's one of the lightest and handiest of all the little powerhouse carbines and would spit out five rather ill tempered pills in short order. It still wouldn't be all that handy in camp where we are cooking and setting up camp for the groups. It still would end up leaning somewhere out of reach during those times. I'd still keep the 45 on my hip.

For your situation I'd go with which ever one is the easiest to handle and get into action, the one you are most comfortable with. And carry some bear spray as an adjunct to your firearm.

Mart
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs
I am wondering all the people who are recommending hand guns, how man have actually faced a bear charge with one? In the late 70s My uncle a Provincial Conservation Officer was on a bear complaint. A calf had been killed by a bear and partly consumed. As they approached the site a medium size Black Bear charged them at about 30 Yds with no bluff intended. We are talking a man who was raise and worked in the bush all his life and I can attest from other experiences he had ice water in his veins. He Pulled his 44mag and emptied 5 hot loaded 300 gr. cast bears toppers into the bear. It died with it front paw on my uncle's boot when the rancher put a 358 Win. bullet thru its spine. From that time on he never relied on a handgun for bear defence again, and neither would I especially not for Big G bears or AB Bears.

As I stated earlier your chance of having a bear incident is < 1%. Over the years in Alaska I've had a few incidents with bears but never have had to shoot one. I have talked to several and listened to the stories of probably 20 people who have shot a brown bear IDLP. I personally know a few of those. It does happen. The bullet is the critical element in these shootings. I would never use a FMJ, with brown bears I would only use heavy hard casts. From what I know of BC I suspect you have a bigger chance of having to shoot a bear. I am a firm believer in heavier calibers 44 Mag or 45 Colt, 454, 480 etc and heavier bullets that are going to break bones. In the lower 48 and with black bears I would use a hollow point 240 grain or heavier. There is a lot of misconception as to how these rounds actually perform. I strongly encourage you to read the following: http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
A barrel shorter than 18" is legal if the barrel is factory installed, and the firearm is not semi-automatic. Shortened to less than 18" is not legal.

Makes perfect sense, right?
Ted
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
I get the point that the average person is never likely to have a bear encounter go bad, even sharing a fish stream with them. By that same reasoning the average person does not really know what they are recommending will do in the real world. To be honest with no disrespect intended I don't place a lot of store in what the so called experts have written. I have spent48 years of my life living and working in close proximity to bears on an almost daily basis either on foot or a saddle horse. When I am trusting my life to something I do my own tests. Penetration, expansion and weight retention and as I stated before IMO and the opinion of a good number of the pros who work in bear country a hand gun for bear defence is like sex with a leaky condom. It gives a false sense of security while getting screwed. Sure a hot loaded 'big bore' hand gun is better than a knife. But If I am carrying an 'Oh crap" gun its going to be a 45-70 loaded up with 540 grains of cast 'train stoppers' I have seen and know what they can do when needed. That's what most of the guides I know carry with various heavy loaded ammo and that's what I'll continue to carry and recommend. What each individual decides is up to them as long as I'm not relying on them for backup. To each their own
Posted By: LDHunter Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
If I was simply carrying a firearm that I hoped to never use I'd pack my Glock Model 20 in 10mm with 180gr XTP's loaded by Double Tap.

If I actually thought I'd need a firearm in a bear encounter I'd carry a Model Seven KS in 350RM.

I was bluff charged by a ~250 pound black bear once and the 350RM Model 600 in my hands felt like a toothpick and I didn't think I had much of a chance to get even one round into her. At the actual moment I realized she fully intended to charge me I found myself wishing for a bigger gun and a lot more time to prepare myself.

I pistol would have been next to worthless. I'm pretty proficient with them and I would have had little if any chance for any more than a quickly placed shot that would have likely done little more than piss her off further.

These days we have a lot of aggressive bears that haven't been hunted for generations here in Florida and our bear attacks are likely numbering a lot higher than Alaska bear attacks. Our bears are a heck of a lot smaller but it doesn't take a very big bear to make a mess of a human in a hurry. LOL

The piney woods of north Florida ain't as safe for the outdoorsman as they used to be.

Another comment. Although your brain and a healthy dose of common sense are your best tools around a bear I'd just as soon back that up with the most lethal firearm I could reasonably pack and actually have with me and readily available if/when a bear got offended at my presence.
Posted By: Pittu Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
With brown bears your brain counts for a lot. Black bears can really be unpredictable. I had one start climbing the tree I was in one time. Even my voice didn't scare it. I had to drop a water bottle on its head and it still wasn't too concerned. A black bear that doesn't run when it sees me worries me more than a browny that's ignoring me at close range. I won't take my eyes off of either though.

I shot a small (7 foot) brown bear with my 338 WM using 225 partitions a couple years ago while moose hunting. I kept shooting it every time it started to get back up. I ended up shooting it 5 times before it realized it was dead. Every one is different and you never know how it will turn out. I'd rather have a rifle, but if I'm fishing or hiking or something, I don't want to lug a rifle everywhere so the next best thing is hard cast lead at 1200 fps and hopefully a CNS shot.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
I've run quite a variety of revolvers, rifles, and shotguns over the years. The single thing I know is that firepower in your hands or slung beats even more firepower 3 steps or 30 away. That is how I arrived at compact-carry type weapons and my consequent earlier recommendation. Can a revolver work? Certainly -and I have used one to good effect in a standoff with a threatening bear more than once. Is it the best thing? Probably not - at least not in my hands and it wasn't given as an option of preference by the OP anyway. What does work for me and have been put to use have been the 16-20" barreled long guns. I variously carry M94 Winchesters in 30-30 or 45 Colt, a 1895 45-70 a 358 Win, or 375-350 bolt guns, or a M870 pump slug gun. I've seen what even a "puny" 45 Colt carbine can do next to a 12 Brenneke. I'm okay with any of them.

That Rem pump Whelen is undoubtedly what I'd carry given the two options presented.
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
Okay, bottom line is that I rarely go anywhere remote within this state (Alaska) without my Whitworth .375 H&H slung over the top stub of my frame-pack. But, back in the day, we "techies" used to hose-clamp PVC to the sides of our frame-packs and then stuff plug-pulled Remington 870's down the plastic tube, when monitoring and/or categorizing anadromous fish streams on the Kenai and over on the Peninsula. Even still, common sense prevails when working around bears, rather than fire-power.
Posted By: shootem Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
Dixie Slugs is currently down due to health issues per their website. DIXIE SLUGS website HERE But here's a pic of one of their products referenced above:

0.730 diameter 870grain heat treated hard cast. Advertised velocity of 3" 12ga factory load is 1200fps in a 20" rifled barrel. I calculated free recoil to be right at 54 lb in an 8 lb gun.
[Linked Image]

A bear hunter I ain't but I'd hate to be the bear that caught one of these. It would be jarring.

Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
IMO, human predator types can "sense" if someone is a soft target..... And are more likely to attack them vs someone with good situational awareness and some level of fighting skills.

Do you think the same applies with bears? I understand that a handgun is not plan A if you are being charged..... My question is do you think a bear would be less likley to follow through with an attack if the person had the mind set of " I like my chances of getting at least one heavy cast .45 slug center mass hit into you before you get to me..... You may still eat me screaming and still alive..... But you are going to die eventually as well..... "?
Posted By: Maverick940 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
IMO, human predator types can "sense" if someone is a soft target..... And are more likely to attack them vs someone with good situational awareness and some level of fighting skills.

Do you think the same applies with bears? I understand that a handgun is not plan A if you are being charged..... My question is do you think a bear would be less likley to follow through with an attack if the person had the mind set of " I like my chances of getting at least one heavy cast .45 slug center mass hit into you before you get to me..... You may still eat me screaming and still alive..... But you are going to die eventually as well..... "?

Yes, I agree that predators "sense" soft targets. A nearly 60-year lifetime of trapping, hunting, killing, photographing and studying wolves has taught me that and inclusive of a nearly 60-year lifetime of being among and with brown/grizzly bears has taught me that, too.

However, my rather prolonged actual field experience only indicates that an apex predator is less likely to "test" a situation if only that situation seems "questionable". The operative words within that entire equation -- from a brown/grizzly bear's perspective -- is the relativity as to whether or not a "situation" is rewarded. Therefore, if an animal is not rewarded then its behavior is probably altered and with that respect for an animal, then common sense yet again prevails over occasional happenstance and just spontaneous likeliness. superfluous "trust" in firearms.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/03/14
To answer the question in relation to what you have.... and like..

Without buying something that likely will never be used..

I'd be a bit happier with the 35 whelen, but given your bird hunting, and good slugs I'd take the shotgun and not be one bit worried. Keep it slung with you at all times.

And use your head.

We hunt AK quite often. Carry a 329PD because its easy. I'll be damned if I"ll carry one of those super mag pistols due to weight, if so, I'd carry a shotgun or rifle instead every time.
Carry a 30-30 or a 54 caplock often and I have yet to feel worried or in danger.

I'd carry a big can of spray on my wading belt too.

Beyond that, enjoy the shotgun on the bird hunts. Bird hunting and fishign in AK is fun.

Heck, I'd carry my 45acp without worrying either, just pick the ammo, and pay attention...
Posted By: TopCat Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/04/14
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Brother Bear don't think like that...

A bear is a 1/2 ton killing machine that has been earning a living killing every thing that moves since it was 6 months old...anything it comes across will do just fine.

Fortunately, most of the time it's too busy killing other things to bother with you, but if your number comes up, you're going to want to have a 12 gauge with proven slugs or a rifle in your hands if you intend to be the one walking away.

You probably don't want a full size rifle. A cut-down short barrel, light weight rifle slung nose down over your weak shoulder is not an undue burden...considering.

I used to have a 20" 375HH Sako that was a great to carry hunting rig and did double duty as a back up...it almost worked out. As just a back-up it was a touch heavy even after I lightened it, but had I needed it, I would have blessed every extra ounce. There are rifles available today that weigh half as much, and I would be thinking small and smaller.

For a while now, I've had a 16" Rossi 92 in 45 Colt. It feels like it would fit right in your hip pocket but it carries in a belt scabbard...(I've used a leather machete sheath and I'm sure there are more elegant solutions), but loaded with 300 WFN Ruger type loads that rival a 45-70 it'll penetrate 3 feet plus of oak trunk...it's a surprising amount of power in a compact package.

I'd still carry the pepper spray, and a Glock 20, because I have one. A 45 RBH might logically appear to be a better match-up with the carbine, but I usually carry the Ruger on it's own with the same ammo.

I don't feel at all bad with just the Ruger, but it just doesn't compare to the carbine...that little 45 carbine is a slick little death wand, easy to hit with and not much heavier.

A 357 is just about a useless piece of weight to carry around unless you're ready to meet Allah and collect-up your virgins.(I really can't imagine what I'd do with 21 of those...training alone would take the rest of eternity...:)

But a souped-up 357 in a Rossi is a whole different ball-game...
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/04/14
Originally Posted by TopCat

You probably don't want a full size rifle. A cut-down short barrel, light weight rifle slung nose down over your weak shoulder is not an undue burden...considering.

The importance of the above, and getting a LOT of range time putting a carbine into action from the "African Carry" position, cannot be overemphasized.
Posted By: byc Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/04/14

Man, you got that right. Almost defeats the whole fun/purpose of even being here. I'm sure re-evaluating where I spend my time and input.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/04/14
I have a Rossi Carbine in 480 Ruger that would probably work for that task.That and pepper spray.
Posted By: tripleshock Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/11/14
That rule about the barrel shorter than 18" is ok if it came that way.Could you xplain that.Won't fly in the US will it?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/11/14
The OP is going fishing, not Caribou hunting. The idea of fishing is to enjoy fishing. I have never shot a brown bear nor have I seen anyone shoot a brown bear. I have no idea what would work well or what wouldn't. Clearly a 460 Wby. would be more effective than a 44mag. This is not the point. Bad bear encounters typically happen due to surprise. I would think that you would not have enough time to get a rifle out of a pack scabbard anyway. If you are carrying it in a ready position, you are not fishing. You can see 10+ bears in a day on the stream in Bristol Bay. The guys I have seen that toted big guns on the stream were the more skittish types around bears. They did not end up going fishing much where there were bears. The flight in is infinitely more dangerous than sharing the stream with bears. Bristol Bay fishing guides, that are around Coastal Brown Bears every day, DO NOT carry rifles and shotguns. If I were camping in Bristol Bay, I might have a rifle or slug gun for the tent. For fishing, I would carry a big revolver.
Posted By: M721 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/13/14
First of all, a disclaimer, I've never been in on the kill of a brown bear. So, I speak with zero practical expertise as to what might be the best caliber, bullet weight, etc. However, I did spend a period of my youth around the big bears, slogging up salmon streams and often bumping into them at very close quarters. If someone has never been to Alaska, and seen brownies in the wild, it can be difficult to get your mind around how really, really big they can be. And how incredibly fast they can cover lots of ground. I've been in situations where a 44 magnum revolver, was all that was available for protection. Let me say, that nothing can make you feel more insignicant and vulnerable than having a stare down with bruno at close range with only a handgun. A big handgun can sound pretty good on paper, but man oh man those bears can be really big. For gosh sakes, the small ones are big. And did I say, they are very, very fast when they put their minds to it. Some thoughtful guys I knew a long time ago carried Rem. 760's stoked with 180 grain partitions. You can send a lot of lead pretty quickly with those pumps and get back on target quickly with the relative light recoil as compared to the big magnum bolt actions.
So a few years back, when the opportunity arose to fish in grizzly country in Canada, I picked up a 7600 and stoked it with partitions. Never used it, so don't know how effective it would be, but I FELT, with the rifle and bear spray I was pretty well prepared. And a handgun was not an option in Canada. If I were going to Alaska, I would have all three, rifle, handgun and spray. Try to have the rifle close by whenever possible and save the handgun for those times when a rifle is just totally impractical. The big bears are magnificent creatures. It is a thrilling experience to see them in the wild. Use your noodle, give them plenty of room, stay out of brushy situations where visibility is limited and you're likely not to have any problems.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/13/14
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay. The bears are awesome. A rifle would be nice to have at camp but not in the middle of the stream while wading.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
Did the OP ever say where he was fishing?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
Not sure where in AK. I mentioned Bristol Bay from my experience and the obvious concentration of bears. I have no experience with black bears. My only point is that I think the threat is overblown and ruins some folks fishing experience. The flight in is infinitely more dangerous than the bear.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay.

Casting a line while holding a rifle in the "African Carry" position has always been difficult for me.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
Originally Posted by tjm10025
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay.

Casting a line while holding a rifle in the "African Carry" position has always been difficult for me.

Never mastered that while holding a pistol ready either myself.
Posted By: fish head Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
A rifle is totally impractical to use while fishing the salmon streams of Bristol Bay. The bears are awesome. A rifle would be nice to have at camp but not in the middle of the stream while wading.

To each his own.

The only time I ever carried a firearm while fishing during the fourteen years I lived in AK was on a fly-in float hunt north of Dillingham. I slung my FN 06 loaded with 180 gr Nosler Partitions over my shoulder and it wasn't a problem wading or casting. It just takes a little bit of getting used to. smile

I got past past my bearanoia early on and to be honest I was more worried about startling a moose and getting stomped to death than having a bear attack.

Just this past summer I went to Idaho fishing and had my first moose "encounter". My buddy an I were wading in the river when a mama moose and her calf came down to get a drink. My buddy's dog got in between mama and her baby and she started stomping, charging, pawing and holy schit she was mean. Mama moose was every bit as dangerous and deadly as a bear.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
Originally Posted by FoxtonGundogs

And I wonder how many people who question the terminal effectiveness of a properly loaded handgun have ever actually used handguns to hunt big game. Seems the ones who do the questioning have little to no experience with them. I was forced to use a revolver to stop a grizzly bear that came in on our moose kill. They work if you do your part.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
To the OP:

I used to live in Alaska (2-1/2 years) and am trying to go back.

Those who say your mind is your first line of defense is spot on. It will keep you out of a place you wish you hadn't got into. To many people have the brass gonad philosophy "I have a gun so I can do as I please. I am invinceable". That gets people killed. Avoidance keeps you from becoming a statistic.

Of the two options you offered put me in the rifle catagory. My ideal bush gun is a M1 Garand. My reasoning is this:
1. Battle proven design. It kept our GI's alive and can do the same thing in the bush.
2. A .30/06 loaded with 200 gr. bullets will take down any thing on this planet.

If you don't like the 24" barrel a competent gunsmith can shorten it for you. You are not going for accuracy here just something that will keep you from being cycled through a bears digestive tract.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Fishing gun for AK - 05/14/14
I had a mama moose and calf scare me pretty badly. Those things are huge. Never been close to a bull moose. Am sure is more huge.
© 24hourcampfire