Home
Other than 5 grains, can someone tell me what the difference is? Why have 2 bullets with a 5 grain difference? Geometry?
Stabilization in some 10-12" twist rifles maybe?
Thought of that, but 5 grains? Length difference can't amount to much.
If you think that is weird, I have always found that the 95g partition shot a LOT better than the 100g Partition.
Originally Posted by keith
If you think that is weird, I have always found that the 95g partition shot a LOT better than the 100g Partition.

I am glad to hear that.

I bought a bunch of 'em, but haven't fired any yet. grin
Dogzapper posted a long time ago that the 95 NBT was the pet bullet of someone at Nosler who designed and used it on a ton of game.
The 95-grain 6mm Ballistic Tip was designed by Gail Root, who was the head ballistician at Nosler for a number of years. He wanted a BT that would handle big game, and killed several elk with it.

I don't know if the 90-grain BT is constructed as heavily, but it is listed among the "hunting" instead of "varmint" BT's. Nosler has something of the same marketing theme as Leupold: A product for everybody's taste. So why not a 90-grain?

I would also bet the 90 just might stabilize in a 1-12 twist, while the 95 won't. I have some on hand, and will do some measurements and run it through a couple of bullet stabilization programs and see what comes out.
Dont know much about it but I do know the 95 gr BT is a wrecking ball on deer.
I keep up with Steve Timm (dogzapper) and didn't think to ask him why have 2 bullets within 5 grains. He however recommended the 95 grain BT and mentioned Gail Root being a .243WCF fan (freak). Gail told him it was one of the finest bullets ever made.

Thanks all. I am going to try it in a 6mm Rem as soon as I can get components together.
it's what I use almost exclusively on big game.

if I ever get on a moose hunt I'll likely use something bigger.
I just did a search and dug this up from Steve:

The .243" 95-grain Ballistic was designed by Gail Root. Gail was perhaps Nosler's most talented ballistician.

Gail is and was a .243 Winchester NUT and he designed the 95-grain to be HIS big game killing bullet. Goodness only knows how many big 6X6 bull elk Gail took with the 95 and most of them with a single well-placed shot.

I know of at least one record-class Nilgai bull that Gail killed with the 85. Nilgai have the well-earned reputation of being almost bulletproof. The bull fell at the shot.

Gail also used the 95 to collect his magnigicent B&C typical whitetail.

Gail was proud of the 96=5s performance of big game; it's great penetration, superb accuracy and killing performance is amazing. This is one bullet that never had to go back for re-design.

Yes, I've killed big game with the.243 95-grain Ballistic ... maybe thirty head of assorted mule deer, whitetail, antelope and one quite decent black bear. And, YES, one raghorn 5X5 bull elk that measured about 285 B&C. I've never had to shoot any big game animal more than once and the animals either dropped in place or struggled for less than 20 yards.

The single bull elk I killed with the 95-grain fell as if electrocuted. I was using a Runger Number One in 6mm Remington Normal.

Naysayers will cuss and discuss the Ballistic Tip ... and that ain't my problem. I'm only telling you what I know for a fact and I have considerable experience with the 95-grainer and have found it to be a superb big game bullet.

Steve

PS. If I was shooting foxes, coyotes and bobcats, I WOULD NOT use the 95-grain Ballistic Tip. It is for this purpose that Gail designed the 70-grain Ballistic. Gail was justifiably proud of both the 95 and the 70 ... they each were made for a specific purpose and they both accomplish their goals wonderfully.

By the way, Gail pretty much killed stuff with two rifles. Literally ALL of his big game was slain cleanly with his .243 Winchester Normal.

And for prairie dogs, varmints of all types and predators, Gail shot a Remington 700 that he had barreled and chambered for .221 Fireball ... and he loaded 40-grain Ballistics.

Truly, many times, my friend Gail has whopped my ass seriously with his .221 Fireball rifle, while I was using my max-loaded .223 Ackley Improved. Gail will always have my total and utmost respect as a man, a ballistician and a stone-cold killer.

© 24hourcampfire