Home
Just wondering which one the gun writers prefer. The glass bottle that quality bourbon or scotch comes in is just too heavy for my pack.
The flask that's back at camp ... after the firearms have been put away. But a bottle is better.

In over twenty-five years, I have never seen a gun writer drink in the field, nor have any liquor on them. Later, sure, there is lots of that, but not afield. Never

Also, one accident, one game violation, and it is all over for a gun writer. That's just the way it is.

kd
[Linked Image]
I do not think you have to be a Gun writer to figure this one out. There are a lot of experts here.
Originally Posted by kududude
The flask that's back at camp ... after the firearms have been put away. But a bottle is better.

In over twenty-five years, I have never seen a gun writer drink in the field, nor have any liquor on them. Later, sure, there is lots of that, but not afield. Never

Also, one accident, one game violation, and it is all over for a gun writer. That's just the way it is.

kd

Look up TIC.

Although, sometimes when carrying a pack, camp is wherever I stop for the night. If it's not in my pack, there's no place to get it.

If you hunt out of a motor home, and don't get more than a mile or two away, sure, leave it in camp.
I use a small alcohol fuel bottle. I've been through 3 over the past 35 years. The last one I purchased was stainless, the previous one was Nalgene. The red one carried the scotch. I always had another color for the denatured stove fuel.

No, you don't drink it while hunting, but it does help the Ibuprofen work in the evening.
Originally Posted by shaman
I use a small alcohol fuel bottle. I've been through 3 over the past 35 years. The last one I purchased was stainless, the previous one was Nalgene. The red one carried the scotch. I always had another color for the denatured stove fuel.

No, you don't drink it while hunting, but it does help the Ibuprofen work in the evening.

Scoresby?

doubletap:

Every metal whiskey flask I've picked up in my hands and examined in the last couple of years has said "Made in China" on it.

Don't know about you, but that's a deal-killer for me.
Originally Posted by doubletap
Just wondering which one the gun writers prefer. The glass bottle that quality bourbon or scotch comes in is just too heavy for my pack.

Isn't that what the built in "hydration" bladder is for?
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by shaman

Scoresby?

Why yes! You remember my favorite. I'm touched. I use either that stuff or my special MoonJuice Cocktail-- Scoresby, Everclear, and a dash of Sherry. A little of that and a little Gatorade powder in the canteen as a chaser, and the aches and pains of the trail melt away.

I was at the dentist this week, getting my teeth cleaned. The lady cleaning my teeth was asking if I used mouthwash.

"Why yes," I said. "Every evening!"

"What do you use?"

"Scoresby." I replied.

"I'm sorry, I don't know that one."

"It's all-natural, so you can swallow it when you're done."

"Really?"

"Yes, it's imported from Scotland." I said. "The neat thing of it is that it's cheaper than Scope or Listerine. I think I get a 1/2 gallon for under $20."

She was mightily impressed.
I have a pewter flask that was made in England about 100 years ago.
These....you just can't make up...

But I Like It Chilled........

Attention,This Is Your Spilot Peaking...

Show Me Your Buckmark.....Big Guy..

But Sweetheart....You Don't Understand.....

And LAST but certainly not LEAST....

You Put It Where???
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Doubletap, Here is the link to the best you can get, holds enough for the best of drinkers. Your Welcome!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___73302
I guess based on the responses I missed the point. My hunting pard grew up in east Texas squirrel hunting; he says they used half pint bottles to carry drinking water. Course that was long before plastic bottles. I grew up in west central Texas, our rule was if you could "track a coon cross it, it was too thick to drink" Amazingly, we were all healthy and rarely were sick with any thing.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome.
The top is a shot also. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]
I have a Jagermeister metal flask because they were discounted to $2.00. I carry a flask afield when I backpack hunt. It would be wrong to be in hunting camp without whiskey, if you don't believe me see the problems it caused in "Escanaba in Da Moonlight".
I've got a nice stainless commie flask with Lenin's ugly ass face on it with a CCCP stamp on it.

Cold War relic/wedding gift.

I drink Schwartzhog and Rye from it to gloat....
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I have a Jagermeister metal flask because they were discounted to $2.00. I carry a flask afield when I backpack hunt. It would be wrong to be in hunting camp without whiskey, if you don't believe me see the problems it caused in "Escanaba in Da Moonlight".

Yep. Jeff Daniels' only good role besides Dumb n Dumber...
Originally Posted by HawkI

Have you not seen Gettysburg or The Crossing?
I pack one of these to break out when the game is field dressed and loaded, and the rifles are unloaded. I toast the game, the day afield and fine companions, all of whom are welcome to share.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Have you not seen Gettysburg or The Crossing?

I've seen Gettysburg.

A little Daniels goes a long way for me. He seems half azzed on his politics.
Have a look at the Stanley flask.
JMO, but there is no need for a flask. Alcohol does not belong around knives, guns, or vehicles. If everything is put away and you are not driving, then perhaps.
[bleep] me, I need to pull the bottle out of the kitchen now.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's just pure class.
nuttin like a little mumbly peg after downing a pint or so of george dickel.
Originally Posted by AB2506
JMO, but there is no need for a flask. Alcohol does not belong around knives, guns, or vehicles. If everything is put away and you are not driving, then perhaps.

You most assuredly speak for yourself.
I have rarely had anything while on safari.I don't drink beer and whiskey so they present no problem for me at anytime and present no flask problems. I do like wine with a meal and a small cream sherry helps with relaxation but drinking is not a priority with me. I actually don't drink much pop preferring water in almost all cases. I too don't find alcholol necessary and I do most assuredly speak for myself.

A little Daniels goes a long way for me. He seems half azzed on his politics.

I hear ya. But it's a rare actor these days with a brain when it comes to politics.
You guys are way behind on this. I bought my one and only Westley Richards [a hip flask] at the Dallas Safari Club show. It ain't made in China. There are three sizes. Priced - uh, commensurate with their firearms, but a bit less.

labarr:

Just did a quick search on those. The W-R site doesn't say where they're made. What's it say on yours?

They're dashed handsome pieces, by the way.
I have an old English made Abercrombie & Fitch pewter flask. Cold days its topped with port.
The best flask for your pack? That's easy, a full one!
Originally Posted by rem141r
nuttin like a little mumbly peg after downing a pint or so of george dickel.

Lawn Dart Dodgeball anyone?
Originally Posted by doubletap

A lot of liquor stores carry small stainless flasks.
I'm a fan of the plastic pint bottles cheap liquor comes in for a lightweight shatter resistant flask. I have been refilling a plastic pint schnapps bottle for a while now
Originally Posted by Dude270
I'm a fan of the plastic pint bottles cheap liquor comes in for a lightweight shatter resistant flask. I have been refilling a plastic pint schnapps bottle for a while now

Yep. That is what works for me. I prefer to spend my money on a good filler for the flask rather than the flask itself.

drover
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's awesome.

That is fouckin' cool!
I buy a bottle of single malt for camp. End of day after dinner a snort in front of the campfire works for us. I'll drink it a head of time if I hike in. Who the hell wants to carry anything extra. 10 ambian weigh a whole lot less than an equal amount of booze. TFF
© 24hourcampfire