Home
I'm trying to get my hands on 30-30 brass and all I've found online is PP brass in stock at Grafs. What are your opinions of the Serbs' brass?

It doesn't need to be benchrest quality, but I'd like brass that is capable of fine hunting accuracy from a scoped gun, and that is good enough metal that I can reload many times.

Or a second question? Who has some matching headstamp 30-30 brass they will sell for some holiday cash?
I've been reloading it for several years for different 9,3X62 rifles and have found it is pretty uniform. Since I load for various 9,3s, I full length re-size. The most times fired so far are four; there are no signs any problems yet.

The loads are just under maximum using 286gr Previ bullets and 250gr AccuBonds.

Since both rifles were accurate shooting all along, all I can say is accuracy didn't fall off using Previ brass.
Ive been using prvi loaded ammo and the resulting brass in my 300 win mag. I don't think theres anything wrong with it at all. My

My hunting partner is using it in his 270 and it shoots quite well. (loaded ammo)
In a 30 30 why does it need to be matching? Weight means more than headstamp anyway. I will send 28 pcs of 1x fired WW & RP if you want it. Just PM me an address
I have 500 pieces of once fired 30/30 brass. one box of brand new, $30 a 100, plus shipping. Can put 300 in a medium flat rate box from the PO, and shipping would be $12.50. Can provide winchester or R-P, or mixed. send a PM if interested. This is all once fired, sized, deprimed, and cleaned.

The NIB brass would be $25 for the 50, the rest is $15 for 50 and $30 a 100.
In the cartridges I've used it for there have been no problems. Sometimes the primer pockets may be a little tight but better than the other way.
I've had a very good run with it in 7x57R and .303. Good quality stuff, and very good value.
I've had no issues with Prvi, it's not Lapua or RWS. Seems to work fine and lasts many reloadings.
I've had pretty good luck with Prvi Partisan .308 Win brass.
I was not impressed with their 10mm...

[Linked Image]
First firing? Ammonia contamination? Just bad brass?
first time fired, and it happened from two different G20s, a third gen. and a fourth gen.

I'm guessing just a bad batch of brass, but no harm to either gun
Don't like seeing that.
Yikes, toad! That split way, way down there! Was that loaded ammo you got, or just brass? Seems like a brittle batch.
I had some Starline brass do the same thing, talked to Starline and they thought it was my load. 38 Special wadcutter for a S&W Model 52, 2.7g Bullseye and a 148g HBWC. Detonation with a small load of fast burning powder. Moved the Starline to another pistol and load.
Smithrjd, that doesn't seem logical to me with that load, but I don't know everything there is to know about brass. I've seen 38's split, but that was because of 357-level pressure using a stiff charge of blue dot, and shot out of a 357, in old cases.

I bought a big bad of nickel plated 38's at a gun show a few years ago that contained some S&W brass that was hell for stout. I asked some people about them and was told that they were old target load cases.

I wonder if there is a funky pressure spike with with those wadcutters? I'm interested to hear others' perspective on your cases. Starline is some of the best brass I've ever used.
I was very surprised. New first time brass. That was what Starline told me. They did send me replacement cases. Have not have that happen with other brass. In fact The 52 now gets Federal only, reloaded several times.
I'm glad they replaced it. Seems to be a good company. Also seems like some Friday afternoon defects made it out the door.
2.7g Bullseye is a standard wadcutter load, been around for years. I could see a detonation issue, perhaps the powder went up into the Hollow Base. Just odd, I had about 14 out of the 50 that cracked. I have used the remaining brass in other loads with more powder in a S&W 60 and a Colt trooper. No issues.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yikes, toad! That split way, way down there! Was that loaded ammo you got, or just brass? Seems like a brittle batch.

this was loaded Prvi ammo that was just a few weeks old. I had one or two out of each box of 50 split like this.
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
...It doesn't need to be benchrest quality, but I'd like brass that is capable of fine hunting accuracy from a scoped gun, and that is good enough metal that I can reload many times...

I'm using Prvi brass in the 8x57 and 6.5x55, 200 cases each and based on case neck concentricity, primer pocket size, longevity and accuracy my samples are equal to good batches of Remington and Winchester. FWIW, I've had excellent and crappy batches of the latter two brands across various chamberings.

Based on my experience the Prvi brass would be fine for what you want.
Thanks for all of the replies so far, guys. Jim in Idaho: thanks for the details. I've also had variable Win and Rem brass the last couple years. Some of it has been quite disappointing. It is the quality variability that is annoying to me; it's nice to know what I'm getting when I buy. Can't afford to buy Lapua for all my shooting, just for the one target rifle I shoot. Seems like Prvi is a good buy.
I've used it in four different cartridge milsurp bolt action rifles using jacketed bullets at 22/24 hundred fps with no problems. After four and five reloads it still looks good enough to load again. Considering the slop in military chambers IMO that says a lot for it.
I used 100 brass years ago. I wanna say I got like 7 firings out of it before a few primers pockets loosened up. I had few split necks after a while. Nothing major in either regard.

This was just in AR-15 plinking ammo loaded with bulk 55 gr. SPs.

I didn't pay much for it. I'd say i goy my oney'sort out of it.

For a hunting rifle, I'd not hesitate to buy it again, if thats all that was available. No idea what it costs now.....

Originally Posted by 65X54
... the primer pockets may be a little tight

^^^^^^^
This.

I have been using PP brass for 3 -4 years in 22-250 and 7X57 have reloaded them about 3 -4 times no problems. I have not done any measurement (run out, neck thickness, etc) but the reloaded ammo has shot well and consistently < MOA. On the primer pocket problem I lightly used a decrimping cutter on the edge of the primer pocket and primers seated just fine.
I've used PRVI 9.3X62 brass exclusively. It makes very accurate ammo, doesn't stretch excessively, and is very durable, one batch has been loaded 14 times without losing a single case.
+1.... It's good stuff; I've got it in 6.5x55, .303 British, and .30-30. Also have a bunch of loaded Prvi ammo in 7.62x54R that I'm starting to reload as I shoot up the factory loaded stuff. So far that's real nice also. One batch of the 6.5x55 has been reloaded 7 or 8 times. But that mostly depends on your chamber dimensions.
Used it in 6.5 x 55, 7 x 57 and 22.250...

bought the first two new...

The 22.250 was given to me and had been fired one time...

I've been hard on the 22.250 brass and it has held up well...

12 reloads on some and 15 on the other batch...
I found out several years ago I could buy Prvi 196 grain soft points 8mm Mauser loaded ammo bout as cheap as just buying the brass from other manufacturers,Used 15 rounds sighting rifle in and shooting out to 200 yards. Used 3 rounds to kill two deer.I then used the 18 brass( I bought 2 boxes of ammo to start with)to load 2 times, so far with no problems .Using Hodgon Data 47 to 48 grains H4895 and 150 grain Bullet.
Prvi rifle brass is excellent for reloading. I have used it in .303, .30/30, 8x57, .308, 7x57....(I was going to write a big long list and then I realised I have used it for nearly every caliber I have. All of them, except for the .44/40.) No experience with pistol brass though.
No issues, no problems, even with stretchy numbers like the .303 and the .30/03 And I believe the necks of Prvi cases are already annealed.
Originally Posted by toad
I was not impressed with their 10mm...

[Linked Image]

I think we've covered some of this before, but the split nickle-plated brass may be the result of the chemical "pickling" process they do before plating. Something got cooked too long, maybe. One reason I never buy plated brass.
this was not plated brass. weird lighting, but plain 'ol brass.

Then I haven't a clue.

But you already knew that......
© 24hourcampfire