Home
Posted By: cra1948 Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
I see in the new American Rifleman that a 28 Nosler has been announced to be the be all/end all of 7mm cartridges. Are we going to see a 24 or possibly a 22 that would eclipse the Swift? Inquiring mins want to know. Is Bob Nosler actually the reincarnation of Charles Newton?
Posted By: EdM Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
For some it matters. That is good.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Another solution in desperate search of a problem.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
I get a kick out the guys that bitch about new cartridges. Like they somehow invalidate their pet rounds..
The 26 Nosler is a 6.5mm not a 7mm.
Posted By: Captain Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by swampshooter
The 26 Nosler is a 6.5mm not a 7mm.

True that, but they just announced a 28.
Maybe next year Nosler will announce a .30 Nosler. wink
I get a kick out the guys that bitch about new cartridges. Like they somehow invalidate their pet rounds..

Problem is a few years down the road when you can't get ammo for it. miles
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
I thought that Rick Jamison was the reincarnation of Charles Newton.
Posted By: msquared Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I thought that Rick Jamison was the reincarnation of Charles Newton.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Maybe next year Nosler will announce a .30 Nosler. wink

Inside sources say it's going to be a .29 Nosler next... MD will then sue and retire!
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Maybe they'll cash in on the massive success of the 325 WSM......a Nosler 325
Then MD can take a few select members here on a Safari.....in Tanzania....for Cape buffalo... grin laugh
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by cra1948
...a 28 Nosler has been announced to be the be all/end all of 7mm cartridges.

As far as SAAMI cartridges go, wouldn't the 7mm RUM still be the king of the roost?
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Maybe they'll cash in on the massive success of the 325 WSM......a Nosler 325

I would think .338 would be more likely than .325.

I hope they don't get too carried away and overshoot the runway...

Nosler is a great marketing company and some of those "failed" rounds probably lacked a full court press with marketing...

Roy Weatherby was THE master marketer who also knew how to wildcat new rounds. Lot more wildcatters out there than true marketing geniuses. You gotta be good to make your mark in an otherwise crowded field. Back in Roy's day, the field wasn't that crowded; in that era Roy WAS the hi vel guru and he knew how to present his stuff to the market...

DF
Those of you from the US are losing out on a fantastic marketing and sales opportunity. Start writing the bullet companies now!! You would have to use the metric system, but far more bullet diameters (and therefore, new cartridges) can be designed.

If one increments the diameters by 0.1mm, think of how many new cartridges can be tested? I'll give you an example.

5.45x45mm (223 Win)
5.55x45mm
5.65x45mm
5.75x45mm
5.85x45mm
6.00x45mm (the present 6x45mm)

There would be an increased demand for bullets, as well as testing and experimentation! Think of the lively discussions we could have here. Think of the magazine articles!

Why My 5.65x45mm beats the 5.55x45mm

Exclusive Test Results!!
Why 5mm Makes a Difference: The 5.85x45mm vs the 5.85x50mm!

There's gold in them there hills!!
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

As far as SAAMI cartridges go, wouldn't the 7mm RUM still be the king of the roost?

Yes. I think the length of the Nosler makes it work better in a wider variety of actions though. Probably one of the many reasons that the 300 WM is so successful too.

The 28 Nosler would probably be more efficient, especially with all the new powders now available. And performance shouldn't be too far behind the bigger round.

With a 3.34" COAL round in a 3.6" box mag, one would have a lot of bullet seating options with sleek, heavy for caliber LR offerings.

DF
Exactly...
With 869 powder, for example, the 26 will burn 90 gr. with 120 gr. bullets and I'd think the 28 would be pretty close with 140's, etc. The 7mm RUM burns 100+ gr. 869 with 140's. The difference in velocity is going to be much less than the difference in powder burned. Or said another way, that extra 10+ gr. 869 won't produce enough extra velocity to make that big of a difference.

It seems to me, the Creedmoor/.260 discussion may be a rough parallel. The Creed is set up to accommodate longer, heavy for caliber bullets and still fit a SA box mag. And, the performance difference between those two isn't that remarkable.

We've never had the selection of powders currently available. And with those selections, std. rounds can sometimes do extraordinary things. Bigger is better, generally, but not always the optimal choice...

With Nosler's marketing prowess, I think the 28 will be a success. They'll see to it.

DF

Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by BWalker
I have no issues with new cartridges. I have not seen where this new introduction will be any different, much less superior, than the 7RUM.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The 28 Nosler would probably be more efficient, especially with all the new powders now available. And performance shouldn't be too far behind the bigger round.

With a 3.34" COAL round in a 3.6" box mag, one would have a lot of bullet seating options with sleek, heavy for caliber LR offerings.

DF

I like the idea of being able to seat them out on a 700.....

Bb
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

DF

Bb

Yeah, 700 std. mag. actions have a 3.6" full length mag. box.

My 26 Nosler is built on a 7RM action. It takes some smithing to alter the std. mag. action to accommodate the Nosler round. It will need a RUM box for three down and the rails will need to be opened up to clear the fatter case.

DF
Yea I still think a 7.62x63 mm would be the ultimate, especially with a 180 gr bullet.
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
That`s a dirty trick..
Posted By: whelennut Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
9mm Nosler has a nice ring to it.
whelennut
Posted By: BWalker Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have no issues with new cartridges. I have not seen where this new introduction will be any different, much less superior, than the 7RUM.

Have you seen the dimensions?

DF

Bb

Or a Winchester Model 70.
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
That`s a dirty trick..

I know, you think it need a 17.5deg shoulder? Right? Ok, ok we shorten to 51mm case.
Does a M-70 7RM std. mag. action have a 3.6" mag box like a 700?

A 26 Nosler case will pass between M-70 rails, unlike a M-700.

DF
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
I'll try to find an ultramag action for a donor.

Bb

Bb

That'll work.

But, an Ultra donor may be harder to find than an old shot out 7RM BDL like I used for my Nosler project.

DF
When Nosler figures out how to AI a .22 LR I will genuflect in their general direction.

If they were to do something fun like the .44 Henry Flat and a historically correct brass or steel framed replica of the Henry rifle I would buy a couple just for grins and the kids to shoot.

Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15

DF

Yes...if you punch out the magazine block....or buy a new H&H box. On the CRF you have to change or modify the bolt stop and ejector as well. This sounds complex but it's easy to do this stuff.

What's the OAL of the 28 Nosler cartridge?

Bb

I have one.

Should I, or not.

Nosler brass for these rounds are too high $$$$. I think they are shooting them self in the foot. Around $66.00 for 25 pcs.

I think I would rather have a 7-mm Rem. Mag. If I was in the market for a new 7 or a Wby.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Nosler brass for these rounds are too high $$$$. I think they are shooting them self in the foot. Around $66.00 for 25 pcs.

WHAT!!!??? That's nuts. Screw that. One of the reasons I dumped the 7mm Dakota.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH

DF

Yes...if you punch out the magazine block....or buy a new H&H box. On the CRF you have to change or modify the bolt stop and ejector as well. This sounds complex but it's easy to do this stuff.

What's the OAL of the 28 Nosler cartridge?

That's all the same stuff I did for my old XTR 7mm Rem Mag to get to 3.6". Pretty easy stuff, and all that I paid for was the H&H follower, spring, and shortened bolt stop.. Pretty easy to get 3.6" in the M70..
The COAL of the 26 Nosler is 3.34" and I would think the 28 would be the same or pretty close, designed to work in a 3.4" std. mag. box.

I agree about the cost of the brass. I formed .240 Wby brass from W/W 25-06 cases, turning fifty cent cases into buck and a half brass.

Now, I'm paying over two bucks a case, even with blem stuff from SPS. Don't guess I can complain about Wby. brass prices any longer...

But, this Nosler brass is high quality, nicely prepped and ready to go. So, that's gotta be worth something...

Is it worth $2+ per case? Not sure about that. But, some big 7's necessitate forming brass, etc. This is definitely better than that, IMO.

DF
DF: Case forming is easy and occupies idle time smile

Someone new at the Big 7 game should look at this cartridge but I for one am not going to sell what I have to get one. wink
Originally Posted by BobinNH
DF: Case forming is easy and occupies idle time smile

Someone new at the Big 7 game should look at this cartridge but I for one am not going to sell what I have to get one. wink

grin

For hard core Loonies, that's a fact.

For the semi-Loony or non-Loony, this option may be mo better...

With Nosler's marketing power, this big 7 will probably be a success. They can out market Dakota and the custom house big sevens, IMO. They'll turn the fringe into main stream, just by the power of their market position.

I know it's a crowded field with the 7mm RUM, STW and others. The .264 field wasn't as crowded, giving the 26 Nosler more wiggle room than the 28 Nosler. But, just hide and watch this one play out...

I could be wrong, but wouldn't bet the farm on it...

DF

A 26 Nosler case will pass between M-70 rails, unlike a M-700.

DF

A model 70 in 7mm mag has a spacer in its magbox. The first thing I do when I get a model 70 is to remove this spacer. With the spacer removed it's 3.6"+. And as you mentioned it will handle a ultra mag type case just fine without the rails being altered.
I believe one could form 28 Nosler brass.from 338 rum brass. I would go this route regardless as Remington brass is harder and has more capacity
Posted By: djs Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
I see in the new American Rifleman that a 28 Nosler has been announced to be the be all/end all of 7mm cartridges. Are we going to see a 24 or possibly a 22 that would eclipse the Swift? Inquiring mins want to know. Is Bob Nosler actually the reincarnation of Charles Newton?

A 22 or 24 Nosler would certainly be a real barrel burner, but a 30 Nosler would be a great choice.
270 Nosler? smile
Posted By: CRS Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
Needs to be a 27 Nosler!!!! smile

17,20,22,24,25,26,27,28,30,32,33,35,36,37,41 & 45

Then we would have something to discuss!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
270 Nosler? smile

I've got just the bullet for one of them!
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/22/15
I think the .28 Nosler will make the .26 Nosler obsolete quicker.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
The 28 Nosler is certainly more versatile than the 26.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
I'm all for new cartridges being introduced. It makes good reading for a few years but is their a demand for a super 7mm magnum? I just checked on Remington's site and they have discontinued the 7mm Rem Ultra Mag in about half a dozen rifles. I didn't find a rifle chambered for it for 2015, though only had a quick squiz. The 7mm STW hardly set the world on fire and neither did Remington's big 7mm. I just wonder what is the reasoning behind Nosler's decision. Are they hoping to sell a few rifles for a year or two as everybody gets swept along in the marketing whirlwind? Remington's decision to drop the 7mm Ultra Mag seems to indicate that nobody wants a big 7mm magnum anymore. Or maybe that nobody wants a Remington lol.

Anyway, good luck to those that have one on order. I'll certainly enjoy reading about it but I'll stick to my 7x57 and 280.
The 28 Nosler is certainly more versatile than the 26.

It is more versatile.

But, the 26 has its place as one of the flattest shooting rounds for most critters. For the type hunting I do, WT, hogs, pronghorns, it's about ideal.

I have a nice custom 7RM and don't think I'll be needing a 28. If I went out West more and hunted bigger animals, I'd probably build one. I'd take a 28 over an STW or RUM. I like the idea of a 3.34" round in a 3.6" box mag, giving lots of room for long, sleek bullets. I think the 28 will prove to be one of the most efficient big sevens.

DF
Posted By: 16bore Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
Can't wait to read all about it in Guns and Ammo. Wonder what the writers will say?

Can we be done now?
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
I think the 28 will prove to be one of the most efficient big sevens.

DF

I do too. It should certainly be more "efficient" than the 7 RUM and it will work better in most long action magazine boxes. I'd buy a the Nosler 28 over the 26 not just because of all the great 7mm bullets available for long range shooting and hunting, but also because I think it will be a little more friendly on barrel/throat life too.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
Is there load data for this cartridge available yet?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
I'm looking for a used ultramag for an action. An sps or adl synthetic will work.

My 8.5 twist Bartlien 7mm rem mag sporters are going to ship next week. My blanks are 29" long because I had them add an inch to the breach end so a guy could set one back later or just cut an inch off both ends to start. I could finish up to 27" and still drop in a rem stock. Although I really like long barrels less and less these days. My 26" 264 seems too long to me now. I'm really considering building a 24" 28 nosler.

I built a 26" lrm a few years ago and it never really impressed me. It didn't seem to have any more capacity than a 7 rem and had pressure issues once I got the 180's to 3000. The long neck seemed like a nice idea but in the end I wished they would have left it forward a bit and had more boiler room. I think this 28 nosler might be more what I wanted from the lrm.

Lot's of good high BC 7 bullets out there including the new ablr's and scenars. A non-belted, stw-ish capacity, sub 3.4" coal 7 sounds worth a try to me. I wonder what ever happened with the rumored 195g berger hybrid? Something like that might work in my 8.5 twist barts with this case behind it. 2950ish with about a .8 G1 BC ...

Bb
Just specs for the factory loaded ammo Bob. 3300 fps with 160 grn Noslers
RD Thanks. That I knew. I am guessing the load data is going to be in the range of the STW/RUM....somewhere in there. Did they quote those numbers from a 24 or 26" barrel?
Don't know. I saw it on Nosler's site though.
I would love to see what a 30 Nosler would do.
I just went to the Nosler site....there was a drawing of a cartridge there showing about 96 gr of capacity. Looks like some guy had necked up a 26 Nosler to 7mm and posted on there.

I think Noslers numbers are for a 26" barrel.
If I were to put one together, I would cut the barrel at 25", Just for our friend Mark D. He liked 25" for a magnum. Also, I'm not a fan of long barrels. Tho a 24" would rule.
I've had three RUMs one 300 and two 338's The last one, is my 338. It has a 24" barrel works fine for that bore. Smaller bore might need a longer barrel. Smarter people than me would know better.

hammerdown have tried to love 26" barrels but can't on a general purpose rifle.Have a 7RM here with a 26" and won't even shoot the thing until it's cropped to 24" frown

I know what you mean, kinda like aiming a telephone pole.

26" is just too long for my liking.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
A 24" tube on a 300 RUM is perfect IMO.
Must have a 3 foot flame coming out of the barrel from the un-burnt powder.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/23/15
"HAIL TO THE KING!"

30/06!!
Originally Posted by RMulhern
"HAIL TO THE KING!"

30/06!!

That's my favorite.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/24/15
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Must have a 3 foot flame coming out of the barrel from the un-burnt powder.

No more muzzle flash than my 300 win mag. And still gets over 3300fps with a 180gr bullet.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/24/15
How much do you loose by going with a 24" over the 26" ? I do agree that a 26" is to long, unless it's on a Ruger #1. I have a 26 on my Remington CS African Plains Rifle in 300 WM and have thought about knocking it down to 24".
Posted By: Slavek Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/24/15
More choices is to our benefit.

Ok, when good people at Westley Richards were learning to make DGRs they put 28" (if I remember correctly) on .425 Express magazine rifles. Now, that was too long. You boys that don't want 26" barrels on small bore magnums should get non-magnum chambered rifles with shorter barrels.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/24/15
I would be very happy just to be able to go to the store and buy some 22 LR with out having to get a permit from the state ( they want 35 dollars for, subject to renewal in 5 years) exercise a constitutional right both federal and state! But hey Nosler came out with another cartridge good for them, why I don't know or care all that much, its more 7mm than I currently need just as my current 7mm RM is way more cartridge that I need for the 100 lb white tails I shoot these days, bottom line I really need to leave Connecticut for good! It were I grew up - but I should leave never the lest even thou I own property here!
Posted By: BarryC Re: Nosler is at it again... - 01/24/15
I wish Nosler would concentrate on making bullets.
© 24hourcampfire