Home
I am familiar with the more traditional powders used for the 375 Win. So lets leave R-7, 4198, H322 out of this.

I wouldn't mind hearing a bit about 1680, though.

I am specifically interested in trying TAC or R-17 in the 375 Win. shocked

I can't find any load data, however. I am quite certain TAC should do fine, and I have a lot of it on hand.

The R-17 is based on what I heard one guy say at the range, and what I heard one guy type on the internet. Obviously, both used it and claimed it worked well. I don't have any on hand, but some is 5 minutes away if needed.

The Western manual, nor the Hodgdon or Alliant manuals list ANY 375 Win loads at all.

Any help from anyone would be great.

Thanks......
Hornady's latest manual lists 41.2 grains of 1680 as max with their 220-grain bullet. It's the fastest load listed, at 2300 fps from the 20" barrel of a Winchester 94.

When there's no TAC data for a cartridge I use IMR4895 data as a starting point.

I can't imagine RL-17 working worth a darn in the .375 Winchester, so suspect both guys meant RL-7 and either misspoke or typoed.
I found the R-17 comments rather odd, myself. But after hearing it twice, it made me wonder.

I will have to check into the 4895 data for the cartridge. I don't recall seeing any, but there may be some. I have read of a couple loads on the net, and have a bit on hand.

I called Don from Western. He is actually contacting the lab, and calling me back about the TAC data. Which is very nice of him. I can't see why TAC wouldn't work at least fairly well.

I was thinking 2420 data may also work as a starting point. But of course, no data on that either.

Thanks....

The last Handloader has some 375 loads by Brian Pearce.1680 was one of the mentioned powders.I bet LVR would work.I mostly use R-7.
Sadly, I have everything here now but the powder I actually want. 1680 or R-7.

But I could give TAC or H322 a go....
i did find a source recently for 220grain jacketed soft flat point bullets for the .375 winchester. A guy in california makes them. You will see a reference on the marlin owners forum. Nice looking bullets. I intended to scrounge around town this week for that 1680 powder reading the same article.

i might add I think they are going to start producing 200grainers at the end of the month.
.375 is a mighty fine round. I was sighting in a little scope i put on the marlin, and fired four rounds, thought i had a problem in that i only saw two holes. Went up to the target and realized two bullets went in the same hole, thus four rounds, two holes. I was impressed. And that was with a cast bullet too.
Try Hawk bullets.Very top notch jacketed bullets.
http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm
I just happened to see the thread title in the forums list. I agree that RL-17 has absolutely no use in the .375 Win and has to be a typo. In my Contender barrel, RL-7 was THE powder. I confess I never tried 1680 or LilGun in it, both of which are rumored to be even better. That barrel is long gone, so I'll never know.
Originally Posted by Huntz
Try Hawk bullets.Very top notch jacketed bullets.
http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm

I have Hawk bullets on order right now. They are doing a run in march. They are excellent bullets.........
[Linked Image]
I talked to you long ago, on another board, about the 375 IIRC.

I remember you liking R-7. Was just wondering if you ever tried anything else.

I have fresh data from Western, using TAC and 250 gr. bullets, if anyone is interested.....
i put an order in with hawk, but haven't heard anything, i g uess march is the answer.
I am a 375/38-55 fan of many years. I have tried the "common" powders and agree that Re-7 is an excellent powder in these rounds. AA 1680 has given me highest V with heavier jacketed and cast bullets. 38 to 39 gr of AA 1680 with 220 gr jacketed has given me 2400fps from a 24" barrel. ** max load - start at around 35gr with 220's and 36 with 200's. I have gotten excellent accuracy with 1680 and 5744 (especially with cast). Accurate powders were common and easy to find here in Tennessee - now, GOOD LUCK frown. I do not know if they are still in business, but a company named "Northern Precision" made many interesting jacketed large bore bullets years ago. I have some 270gr "Powerball" (think a large hollow point with a 30 cal plastic ball in it) bullets that really expand at 375 speeds on whitetail!
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

I have fresh data from Western, using TAC and 250 gr. bullets, if anyone is interested.....

I'd be interested. Which bullet is it that your using? The chances of me finding TAC around here are pretty well nil, but you never know.
I would be interested as well 2muchgun!

PennDog
I tried AA1680 about ten years ago and even though it gave some smoking velocities, I felt I needed to work with the loads some more as the accuracy wasn't quite what I wanted. I seem to remember stopping about 38 grains with the Hornady 220. I have been so satisfied with the other powders mentioned that haven't gotten into the two pounds of it that I have left.

Unfortunately about the time felt like working with it again, the Hornady 220's became scarce, and the few hundred I have left are gonna be rationed.

If they ever crank up production again I might work on the loads again, but it'll be my luck I won't be able to find any more 1680.
Lyman has loads for AA 2230 listed and from what I've seen in the parent load book Exterminator is the same as 2230.
FWIW here is one of the Marlins for sale

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/marlin-firearms-375-375-win-r16677/#.VNrfUxDnaUk

They have another one, but it is nicer, and a lot more money.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/marlin-firearms-375-375-win-r16677/#.VNrfUxDnaUk

Good grief! Do they really get that much for 'em. Mebe I should sell mine? Regards, Woody
Originally Posted by woody1

Good grief! Do they really get that much for 'em. Mebe I should sell mine? Regards, Woody

They can be a bit on the high side with some guns. They will trade and are a nice bunch of guys to work with. I've made a bunch of trades with them over the years, including this one.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF
The gun in the link is way over priced. I just bought a nicer one for nearly half that price. You can get them NIB for that price...

i would say they are kinda proudful of that rifle. Got a much nicer one without all the wood damage at less than half of that price a few year ago.
after reading pearce's article in handloader i have been looking for aa1680, and it doesn't seem to be around. The bullets i got covered from that guy in california that is making them.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

They can be a bit on the high side with some guns. They will trade and are a nice bunch of guys to work with. I've made a bunch of trades with them over the years, including this one.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF

one can spend hours, wandering around in Collectors. smile

great score on the Superposed smile
Can you send us the link? on those California made 375 jacketed bullets? Hope they have a cannelure because the Hawk bullets do not. That means you cannot secure them very well against movement.

I am.
Not so. 2230 is same as xterminator but TAC has higher volume and takes 1 or 2 grains more to get the same umf.
DAH! Reading skills need to be up dated. I said that 2230 and Exterminator are the same.
I am familiar with the more traditional powders used for the 375 Win. So lets leave R-7, 4198, H322 out of this.

I can't find any load data, however. I am quite certain TAC should do fine, and I have a lot of it on hand.

The R-17 is based on what I heard one guy say at the range, and what I heard one guy type on the internet. Obviously, both used it and claimed it worked well. I don't have any on hand, but some is 5 minutes away if needed.

The Western manual, nor the Hodgdon or Alliant manuals list ANY 375 Win loads at all.

Any help from anyone would be great.

Thanks......

Ok, so after a ton of research I went with some fire formed 3030 brass and loaded 264g .376 cast gas checks and 36.5g of TAC. BC = .310. Length = 1.00". Bullets are from "Hunters Supply". OAL - 2.55" crimped on the second cannelure. Also, the bullets were pre-lubed.

The results were wonderful! No pressure signs.

1845 fps average, 10fps spread, 11 shots, extremely accurate - more so than me. No pressure signs, but quite a wallop knocking my hat off several tims:)

Since this is a wildcat load start low.

My Win 94 BB absolutely loves this load!
Originally Posted by frhunter13
Can you send us the link? on those California made 375 jacketed bullets? Hope they have a cannelure because the Hawk bullets do not. That means you cannot secure them very well against movement.

The guys email address is [email protected]

this is a link to a closed gunbroker auction where it shows pictures of the bullets: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=455076569

chatter from the marlin forum which led me to these bullets.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/t...cketed-bullets-les-vollmer-outa-cal.html
Well I met "my connection" the other day. Picked up some H110 and R-7. So I guess I will give R-7 a go, as it seems the easiest for me to obtain right now. I just may pick up a jar of 1680 today, as I am looking at my notes right now. Forgot how fast it truly was. But I cannot get it as easily as I can Hodgdon/IMR/Alliant powders, so I kinda didn't wanted to get hooked on it. I just texted a guy to see how much is available.

Word on the street is that Barnes is going to make 255 gr. Originals again shocked Which would be GREAT with TAC, methinks.

Some info from the Lab via Don @ Western Powders:

TAC/ 250 gr. bullets /20" tube:

39.5 gr. start = 2075 fps

43.9 gr. MAX = 2340 fps (120% compressed)

AA 1680/200 gr. bullet/20" tube:

38 gr. start = 2350 fps

42 gr. MAX = 2575 fps

Awesome. I LOVE TAC and had a feeling it would do well with the heavier bullets......
Originally Posted by frhunter13

The man in California is Les Vollmer. Email is the best way to contact him: [email protected]. Yes, his have a cannelure and you can even request the cannelure to be placed in a specific location with no extra charge. If you send him your Hawk bullets, he will cannelure them too. Tell him what you want, he's easy to work with!
[quote=frhunter13][quote=2muchgun]I am familiar with the more traditional powders used for the 375 Win. So lets leave R-7, 4198, H322 out of this.

www.loaddata.com lists loads for using Accurate AAC-1680 in the .375 Winchester:

200 Grain Bullets
Min: 36.0 grains
Max: 40.0 grains

220 Grain Bullets
Min: 28.0 grains
Max: 41.2 grains

250 Grain Bullets
Min: 25.2 grains
Max: 28.0 grains
2muchgun & Hutch: Have you shot any game with Hawk bullets? What was your experience?
© 24hourcampfire