Home
Posted By: Dude270 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
I am going to start loading for a swift, which I have never loaded for before, and would like to hear some good loads.

I am mainly wanting to shoot 55 and 60 grain bullets, maybe the 63 sierra as well.

Let me know whats working for you swift users.

Thanks
Posted By: Magnum_Man Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
I used to use IMR 4064 but the ball powders like H380 and WW760 are easier on barrel steel . Start there . MM
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I used to use IMR 4064 but the ball powders like H380 and WW760 are easier on barrel steel . Start there . MM

Haven't found a powder yet that is easy on the barrel when loading a Swift to its potential. AA2700 and H-380 is a good start.
Posted By: GunLoony88 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by Dude270
I am going to start loading for a swift, which I have never loaded for before, and would like to hear some good loads.

I am mainly wanting to shoot 55 and 60 grain bullets, maybe the 63 sierra as well.

Thanks

What twist is your barrel? I have a 1-14, and it shoots better with bullets less than 55gr. It will really depend on the bullets you want to use, but be careful with most of the newer 55gr (mono) and up, as they may not stabilize very well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
Back in the 1980's when I started loading the Swift, I used IMR4895 for 50-55 grain varmint bullets and IMR4350 for the 60-grain Nosler Solid base, about as good a .224 big game bullet as was available back then.

Have had several Swifts since. In the most recent rifle, a tang-safety Ruger 77 identical to my first rifle, Ramshot Hunter worked great as an all-around powder for 50-60 grain bullets, but the 1-14 twist wouldn't shoot the 53 TSX consistently at any elevation below about 5000 feet, even on warm days.
Posted By: bea175 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15

Thanks

Start with Rel 15 and you may not have to go any farther
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
My first .220 Swift didn't shoot 55s very well. It was a Remington 700 VSSF with a 1-14" twist.

It did not shoot my regular load well with new brass. My procedure with it was to fire form WW brass to my chamber by jamming a Speer bucket mouthed 52 grain hollow point hard into the rifling and pushing it to about 3300 fps with IMR 4064.

I'd "bump size" ... in other words, set up my FL die so it sized the whole neck and just kissed the shoulder so chambering was easy but not sloppy, there was a little resistance on the bolt handle but it was not "hard."

My regular operating load used home mollied 50 grain ballistic tips over 43.5 grains of H380, WW brass, and Fed 210M primers. Average velocity clocked 3987 FPS and accuracy was in the high 0.4s for 5 shots.

My 2nd Swift was a Ruger #1V. Nothing to learn from it, it had a loose spot in the bore and never shot worth a crap.

The final was a custom 700 with a 26 inch straight cylinder barrel, 1-14" twist, 3 land and groove PacNor. it was a primer blowing SOB even with most book starting loads. Finally ran it over a chronograph and found those "starting" loads to be more than 200 fps faster than the book-predicted max. No wonder, huh?

It finally did come around for me. My final load, which wouldn't fit in new brass but would, with a drop tube, go into formed cases, was 44 grains of IMR 4831 under 55 grain ballistic tips ... naked, not coated.

The final 3 shots, before I sold it, punched the 3 push-pins on my 200 yard target through the backstop.

The reason I sold it was that despite the accuracy, with that heavy barrel the balance point was ahead of the front sling swivel screw and I was having a real hard time not having it nose-dive off the front of the bags. (Serious, not exaggerating.)

Tom
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
its a 14 twist.

I was thinking about shooting the 60 hornady sp and hp, the 55 hornady sp along with some tipped 50s and 55s and maybe a 50 or 53 tsx.

I have a soft spot for the Swift because when I started hunting deer with a centerfire the Swift was what I used. I also shot a lot of groundhogs with it. My dad had a tang safety ruger 77 that was "my" rifle when I was a youngster and though that rifle is long gone I ended up with another and want to get some loads going for it

Thanks for the help
Posted By: muddy22 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
43 gr. H-414 and most any bullet 55 gr. or less.
Sounds like the TSX may be a no go.

Thats fine, as the old 60 grain hornady Hp factory load worked well on all the deer I remember being shot with my dad's Swift.

I know 4064 was a standard back in the day and will try it.
I also have RL 15, 4895, 4350 and H380. Wish I had some Ramshot hunter to try but none is available that I can find.

MD, What bullets do you like for deer at in the swift discounting the TSX and the old solid base noslers?
I've had good luck with the 55 hornady SP and 63 sierra SMP in other 22s but I wonder what you think are some of the better options for the swift

Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
Originally Posted by muddy22

That is the load I use with 55 gr. bullets.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
H4895 has worked very well in both of my Swifts.. My bullets of choice are 50gr Vmax or BK.. I have also shot 63 gr and 64 gr. bullets for deer and turkey, here I used I4350..
Wyo, What's your load for the 63? What speed are you getting?
Posted By: shootinurse Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/02/15
Nosler #3 listed 39gr RL15 with the 55gr bullet. I loaded it with Hornady v-max and shot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 350yds at 3915fps. Nosler stepped it back in subsequent manuals to 37gr of powder. Just as accurate, but about 150fps slower. I think. It's been a long time. Jim Carmichel's go to load was 38gr IMR4064 and a 52gr match bullet, which also shot small groups. I finally settled on 39gr 4064 and the 50gr v-max at 4100 and change. 3/4" groups at 200yds are standard. This is all in a M70 heavy varmint. Don't know how to make it shoot big groups.
Posted By: jstevens Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/03/15
Originally Posted by muddy22
I would pretty much go along with that. I have shot three barrels out, mostly with 43.5 H414 and 55 Sierras, killed a few pu loads of deer with it as well.
Posted By: azrancher Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/04/15
Maybe ask scenarshooter. I've seen pictures of at least a train load of game he's killed with a swift.
Posted By: whelennut Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/04/15
Varget and 55 gr. HORNADY V MAX will not dissapoint.
whelennut
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/04/15
I'm inclined to go with 414/760/2700 and shorter bullets in a 1/14 twist for high velocity explosive bullets. Meters well for a loading session with a progressive that gives me enough loads for a while in a single loading session. I might take very light big game as targets of opportunity but only at close ranges where the bullet carries most of the energy it started with so 60 grain round nose works.

In particular having learned from Bryan Litz (and reminded by John Barsness that bullet speed is no substitute for faster twist) that a barely stabilized bullet has an effective ballistic coefficient much lower than advertised I reserve the lovely little plastic tipped boat tailed 53 grain Hornady and Barnes bullets for the appropriate twists rather than kid myself when elevation and meteo conditions combined with pushing them to the limit show stability on paper. I now think they may be stable enough to shoot acceptable groups but I'm not getting the benefit of the advertised ballistic coefficient with these longer bullets so I've gained nothing but the ability to shoot more expensive bullets.

I figure the temperature sensitivity doesn't matter that much to me because I don't tote the rifle around in extreme heat anyway but use something else.

My own is a very heavy Hart barrel and very much a niche rifle - hold on hair to long eyeballed ranges but not a laser the range and dial it in with high ballistic coefficient bullets -that don't work in a 1/14 twist anyway - rifle.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/04/15
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
I'm inclined to go with 414/760/2700 and shorter bullets in a 1/14 twist for high velocity explosive bullets. Meters well for a loading session with a progressive that gives me enough loads for a while in a single loading session. I might take very light big game as targets of opportunity but only at close ranges where the bullet carries most of the energy it started with so 60 grain round nose works.

In particular having learned from Bryan Litz (and reminded by John Barsness that bullet speed is no substitute for faster twist) that a barely stabilized bullet has an effective ballistic coefficient much lower than advertised I reserve the lovely little plastic tipped boat tailed 53 grain Hornady and Barnes bullets for the appropriate twists rather than kid myself when elevation and meteo conditions combined with pushing them to the limit show stability on paper. I now think they may be stable enough to shoot acceptable groups but I'm not getting the benefit of the advertised ballistic coefficient with these longer bullets so I've gained nothing but the ability to shoot more expensive bullets.

I figure the temperature sensitivity doesn't matter that much to me because I don't tote the rifle around in extreme heat anyway but use something else.

My own is a very heavy Hart barrel and very much a niche rifle - hold on hair to long eyeballed ranges but not a laser the range and dial it in with high ballistic coefficient bullets -that don't work in a 1/14 twist anyway - rifle.

I found that out a long time ago. Feeling your pain. No offense but the highlighted part gave me a really big chuckle or 2.

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/05/15
dude270, I believe I use around 39 gr. of I 4350 and Sierra 63 gr., Nosler 60 part., and WW64 gr. Those bullets have killed a bunch of deer and turkey for me over the years.. I also killed quite a bit with the plain old Sierra 55 gr. HPBT..
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/05/15
Thanks guys
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/05/15
My first true varmint rifle was a 220 Swift so I have been loading for it since the early 70's, my favorite with a 1-14" twist is W760/H414, Fed210 primer and 55gr Blitzkings. in some barrels I had great results with RL15
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/05/15
Originally Posted by whelennut
Varget and 55 gr. HORNADY V MAX will not dissapoint.
whelennut

My Swift would not stabilize that combination except at elevations above 5400'. That bullet is just too long for a 14 twist.

I ended up with about 10 boxes of handloaded ammo that was topped with 55 grain Sisk bullets. I pulled a few and weighed the charges and they were as advertised. The powder was 4064. These loads were stupid accurate and I have never been able to better 4064 for accuracy. I haven't tried all the wonder powders in it but I tried everything I could get 15 years ago. If I were to load for it again I would try Hunter and maybe Big Game.

My Swift would not stabilize the 60 grain Partition nor the 52 grain Amax. I hate the 14 twist. Rifle is a pre-64.
Posted By: jstevens Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/05/15
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

My last barrel is a Shilen, and a faster twist, I think 1-10 and I AI'd the chamber to hopefully slow down the trimming, and it seems to work. With 47 H414 and a 55 Sierra, goes 3990 fps and is the best shooting barrel I've had, on a still day, it will shoot in the .3's consistently for five shots. It is an old 700 that I've had for somewhere around 35 years that was built by Ed Brown.
Posted By: wswolf Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
For years I happily shot rock chucks with 52gn Sierras or Hornadys and IMR4064. Got about 3850fps from a 26" bbl. Lately switched to Reloader 17 for higher velocity and even better groups.

With 55gn Ballistic Tips or Ballistic Silvertips my top pick is R17 followed closely by 2000MR and H4350.

With 60gn Partitions R17 is tops. H4831 gives tiny groups but lower velocity.

Walt
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
I wonder how Big Game would work in it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
Big Game works pretty well. Back when the Ramshot powders were first introduced, I had a Ruger 1B in .220 Swift, with the 26" barrel. They didn't introduce Hunter for a few more years, so I tried Big Game with 55-grain Ballistic Tips. The maximum load they listed back then (it's probably changed) got around 3900 fps, but accuracy was just so-so, around 1-1/2". I called the head tech at Western Powders and he suggested I try magnum primers. That cut group size in half.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
John
The only ramshot powder I have on hand is TAC. When ramshot powders become more available I will try Hunter.

Do you think a 60 grain partition will stabilize in the 14 twist?

I'm thinking 4064, 4895 and RL 15 will get first shot with 55 and 60 grain bullets. How about Varget, It seems like it would be worth a shot

Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
John
The only ramshot powder I have on hand is TAC. When ramshot powders become more available I will try Hunter.

Do you think a 60 grain partition will stabilize in the 14 twist?

I'm thinking 4064, 4895 and RL 15 will get first shot with 55 and 60 grain bullets. How about Varget, It seems like it would be worth a shot

Unless they changedthe bullet, they won't. They wouldn't stabilize in mine at 1500' elevation. Never shot them when I lived at 5400'. That 14 twist is a huge handicap nowdays.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
dennisinaz, I have used the 6o grain Partitions in my old .22-250 and my Swift.. Both shot fine.. I haven't used them in elevations much less than 2000 feet, but they have killed deer and turkey in Pa. and W. Va. All of my guns are 1-14.. But it could also be the individual rifles..
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
I wondered if the partitions would be hit and miss.
I shoot between 2000 and 3000'. I think they might be worth a shot.

I wonder how much better performance the partition offers over the 60 grain hornady and the 63 SMP anyway
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/06/15
I suspect the "exact" 1-14 twist affects how well the 60-grain Partitions stabilize. Twist will vary slightly in barrels, except (usually) for hammer-forged barrels. The 60 Partition is right on the margin for stability in a 14 twist, and any little thing will cause problems, such as the twist actually being, say, 1-14.3.

In my last Swift, a tang-safety Ruger 77, it wouldn't shoot consistently unless I took the rifle up to about 7000 feet up in the mountains. Even at 4000 feet on a warm summer day, in a 5-shot group 2-3 would land close together, and the others would scatter, sometimes into 3" or more. This was in a rifle that would put five 55-grain Sierra hollow-points into 1/2" or so.

I finally quit trying to get them to shoot consistently in supposed 14 twists, because too often it was a waste of bullets, powder, primers and time. They're much more consistent in a 1-12 barrel, the standard .223 twist, and often shoot really well in a 1-9 or 1-8.

There's another advantage in "over-stabilizing" them: BC is higher. They ain't the sleekest bullet anyway, so I'll take any edge possible.
Posted By: djs Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
I've been reloading the 220 Swift since 1958 (off and on). I started with IMR-4064 and have gone to Reloader 15 now. the IMR-4064 shot accurately, but it meters though the powder measure like gravel; the Relocader-15 is smooth. I stick to published loads. the Swift is a vastly under-rated cartridge -it's really good.
Posted By: War_Eagle Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
I have been following this thread pretty close since I am about pick up a new Swift. I would like to ask those familiar here if I would be better suited with one bullet over the other.

I will probably fire more shots at paper and steel than anything else but do plan on taking it to the field occasionally. No Prarie dogs or chucks down here...most varmints will likely be crows and the occasional coyote. We have bobcats too but don't expect I will ever pull the trigger on one with this rifle...mostly because I wouldn't want to tear the hide to pieces.

I have been thing about the 53gr Vmax or any of the NBTS but would love to know what would be suggested for the application.

Already have plenty of Reloder 15 and can get 4064 easily enough too.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
The 53 vmax is a long bullet and I know a few people who have tried them in 1 in 14 22-250's and couldn;t get them to stabilize.
Posted By: ClarkEMyers Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
We have bobcats too but don't expect I will ever pull the trigger on one with this rifle...mostly because I wouldn't want to tear the hide to pieces.

I have been thing about the 53gr Vmax or any of the NBTS but would love to know what would be suggested for the application.

I'd suggest a faster than 1/14 twist. I'd also suggest a .204 chambering.

At the risk of repeating myself the 53 gr. VMax is a lovely bullet and a bad choice for a 1/14 Swift. For 1/14 twist the sort of 50/52/53 grain bullets that were popular when the Swift was popular make a fine retro combination. I suppose the newer bullets will do fine in a faster twist but they don't in a 1/14 twist and there is little point in trying. Mine is a 26" Hart plenty accurate and speedy but speed doesn't make up for the slow twist - as I say retro. I even have a Quick Measure for log type powders and I see no reason save desperation to use 4064 in a cartridge I shoot more than a box a year maybe Garands excepted.

I'd feel comfortable using a well chosen bullet at Swift velocities to not exit a bobcat on most well chosen shots - at least I don't know anything better except a trap.
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
Im going to go a bit off topic here, 4064 is your friend! I have owned 3 220 Swifts, the first was a very early tang safety varmint barrel Ruger, it shot anything you stuck in it to a 1/2 inch if you could half shoot! I did not know when I bought it new with a 6 x 18 ao redfield but Douglas made the barrels back then. (1970's), I traded that gun to buy a 59' Winchester Varminter ( Win made 904)in swift, it shoots as well BUT is a lot more picky on ammo !!! I also own and bought a NIB mid 50's std mod 70 with an internal adjustment 10X unertl scope, so far an inch is best I have found ammo on that gun. The Ruger had well over 3000 rounds thru it and still would shoot into 3/4 inch when I sold it to a guy in NM.I sent many a fellow back to Tallahassee FL from the coon bottom gun club minus many 100 dollar bills with that gun! OK, I started out shooting Yellow Winchester super X ammo ....HOT stuff, then a case of hot Norma. Guys I moved to Hornady grey box custom ammo I bought by the case lots from a now closed outfit named Lock, Stock and Barrel, the ammo was slow compared to Norma and Winchester BUT super,super accurate. LONG story short warp speed does not always mean tack driver accurate! DAMN I wish I had my Ruger back! On handloading the 4064 was the bomb! very best WinPoor
I save all brass and boxes I think the Hornady was a 50 or 55 gr bullet loaded to about 3800 fps, not the fastest BUT damn it is cloverleaf, one hole stuff, i do not know what their new stuff is or what they have now that took this stuffs place!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I have been following this thread pretty close since I am about pick up a new Swift. I would like to ask those familiar here if I would be better suited with one bullet over the other.

I will probably fire more shots at paper and steel than anything else but do plan on taking it to the field occasionally. No Prarie dogs or chucks down here...most varmints will likely be crows and the occasional coyote. We have bobcats too but don't expect I will ever pull the trigger on one with this rifle...mostly because I wouldn't want to tear the hide to pieces.

50 grain Sierra blitz. tough little bullet. Handled 3800 out of my Swift easily.
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
I sold my Swift as I couldn't find a decent big game bullet than would stabilize in my 14 (or worse) twist and it was too heavy to use for calling coyotes. I have a couple of 22-250s with 14 twist and I have settled on 50 Blitzkings myself. I also use this bullet in my 222 (probably a 14 twist) for calling coyotes.

I agree that 4064 is probably the worst of the rat turd powders for metering through a powder measure. I would sure try some new ball powders first if I went back to it.

For whatever reason, the best powders in the 22-250 were not the best powders in the Swift, even with the same bullets. I mostly use TAC in my 22-250 with the 50s. I liked H380 when I shot 55s.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
When I use 4064 anymore (and I do occasionally) it's the Accurate Powders version, which is short-cut. Haven't tried it in the Swift because I don't own one anymore, but it worked well in every other cartridge I've tried it in, with very similar results to IMR4064 without the hassle of log-sized grains.

But based on previous experience with IMR4064 in several Swifts I can't believe it somehow beats a bunch of other powders, whether H414/W760/A2700, Reloder 15, Big Game and Hunter, etc. etc.
Posted By: John1 Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
Long time Swift shooter here. IMR 4064 and H-414 used to be all I used but on the advice of some folks at BR Central I went to AA2700 a couple of years ago.
Took very little load work and shot about a .180 with a 55 gr. Nosler through
my old Shilen barrel. Some guy mention the difference in barrel wear between
4064 and 2700 is like night and day but you can't prove it by me as I have no
borescope. Also regarding the Hornady 53 gr. V-max, I have found in my .22 BR
they will not handle as much powder as the various 55's. but are very accurate.
I believe the default twist in the various factory .22's would be better at 1X12
instead of 1X14.

Regards, John
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

For whatever reason, the best powders in the 22-250 were not the best powders in the Swift, even with the same bullets. I mostly use TAC in my 22-250 with the 50s. I liked H380 when I shot 55s.

I agree with this, H380 and 55's always worked well in my 22-250's. In my swifts H380 is my least favorite powder.
Powders like one of the 4895's and Varget worked well in my 22-250's but never worked in my swift's.

The only powders I have found that work well in both is 4064 and RL15, as I mentioned earlier my favorite swift powder is W760/H414 and I seldom use it in my 22-250's
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: 220 Swift loads - 03/07/15
I know what you are saying but in the two Swifts I had, it was hands down the most ACCURATE powder with 55 grain loads. I know I tried R15, H414, H380, 4895, Varget, 4350, 3031 and N550. Didn't try any of the AA powders.

I will have to see that short stick 4064. But I would certainly try more modern powders first to see if they worked before resorting to a difficult powder.
© 24hourcampfire