Home
Posted By: GRF Mauser M12 - 03/12/15
Any experiences with and perspectives on this rifle as far as accuracy and reliability?

Thanks in advance

GRF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M12 - 03/13/15
I tested one in .300 Winchester Magnum pretty thoroughly last year. It had zero malfunctions in feeding, etc., and was very accurate with a variety of factory ammo. One of the good points is it takes mount bases for 98 Mauser actions, which are of course easy to find.
Posted By: GRF Re: Mauser M12 - 03/13/15
Thank you very much sir. Please have a wonderful weekend.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Mauser M12 - 03/14/15
I had two bear hunting clients bring them up last spring and I was impressed with the rifles, plus the way both hunters could shoot them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: GRF Re: Mauser M12 - 03/14/15
Thank you sir, and thanks for the great picture.

Please have a wonderful weekend.

GRF
Posted By: Mesabi Re: Mauser M12 - 03/14/15
+1 on a great pic!
Posted By: beretzs Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
Very cool picture!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
Three grizzlies in one picture. Very nice.
Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
I love the look of pure happiness in those hunters eyes. The wisdom to KNOW they are having a great time. GREAT picture.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
The fact that the photo was being taken by his son, who was also along, and was responsible for that second big bloody patch, made everyone happy as well.

The son also had an identical Mauser M12 in 9.3x62 with a Leupold 3x scope and he also was a great shot. He had taken this old B&C boar early in the hunt with my daughter

[Linked Image]

For a modern rifle I found quite bit to like about the M12. It was lightweight, accurate and appeared to soundly designed.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
I used a M12 in 9.3x62 to take a nilgai last year. It worked too, and pretty suddenly!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
A pal had one in 6.5x55...the Extreme model. He said it shot like crazy and functioned flawlessly, but he sold it before I could get my grimy paws on it. Pity. I would like to have shot it.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15

I have a wood stocked M12 in 308,it feeds and functions as well as anything,has a great trigger out of the box,and shoots groups that hover around two inches at my 275 yard steel target with Hornady factory 150 grain Superformance SST loads.

The safety is maybe the best I've seen,it's a 3 position but is smoother and quieter than most Model 70 safeties.

I would like one in 9.3x62 myself.

Posted By: Paradiddle Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
Dammit. Another rifle to spend money on....
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Mauser M12 - 03/16/15
I'd rather keep my rifles and get a shot at those bears! Oh my...

Mike
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
458Win.,
That is a great photo that belongs on someones website/brochure.
Well done.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
Do I need one of these? blush
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
Has "need" ever stopped you from buying something ? Hasn't with me.
Posted By: SNAP Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
No, Bob, YOU really don't as your Simillion piece and no doubt other such fine rifles will do anything and more that this Mauser will.

I very thoroughly checked these out as they came into Vancouver and they are good, but, only PF, a tad heavy for mountain hunting and are really more suited to the road hunter.

This is NOT intended as any kind of slur, guys, many road hunt here, eat the meat and sometimes that is about all you can do, given the climate and forest cover.

But, Bob, I just don't see you doing this and I would think that you would be more suited with an Echols Legend or second Simillion....JMHO.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Do I need one of these? blush

I went and read some of the available reviews - pretty good overall. A lot of stuff on their website to look at too. I think a FTF would be "dangerous". Maybe some others with field reports will chime in.
Did Mule Deer ever do a review on them?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
I reviewed the Mauser 12 and Sauer 101 (a related rifle) for AMERICAN RIFLEMAN a year or two ago.

The Sauer uses the same basic action, but has a cocking safety on the tang instead of the M70 style 3-position on the Mauser. There are also differences in the bedding system and some other minor stuff. Essentially the Sauer is built more for the European market than America, though it does take Remington 700 mount bases. Both are VERY accurate, but that's typical of German rifles.
Posted By: kman Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
Quick question about the M12. Does the extreme version have a metal bottom metal/trigger guard or is it plastic? How is the bolt handle attached to the bolt? Lastly, is the action and barrel treated in some way to make it "extreme" or is it just normal blueing?

Thank you.
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
I think they are all blued,but mine hasn't rusted in humid Alabama.The trigger guard is metal,the magazine is polymer with a metal floorplate. The bolt is attached by a weld(I think). The rifle is well balanced and weighs about the same as a model 70 featherweight,maybe a few ounces less.

The thing that is appealing about these rifles is they are not a project in a box. The trigger,bedding,feeding,ejection,and accuracy are already there. The safety is positive yet quiet three position Model 70 type.

It is not an ultra light rifle,but it is certainly no truck gun,and I have carried a heavier rifle on lots of mountain hunts.

The only thing for me to complain about is there is no short action,my 308 is the same size as a 30-06 or 270. So if that offends you,just buy a 30-06 in the same rifle. I actually went to buy a 270,but the 308 had the best wood,a nice straight grained blond french walnut.

BobinNH would like this rifle,and the point of impact on mine doesn't shift as the barrel heats. I have certainly spent a lot more for less.

I wouldn't mind another in 270,or maybe 9.3x62.
Posted By: SNAP Re: Mauser M12 - 03/17/15
Actually, to a working professional in resource management, here in western/northern Canada, this rifle would make an ideal truck gun, but, would be better in that role if it were STS.

The easy loading from the top, the detachable mag. or what we call a "clip" to keep your ammo handy, but, gun unloaded as is mandatory here and they CHECK, even BCFS/AFS staff are so mandated plus the familiar safety and nice handling in a hurry make it about "perfect" for such use.

No question one CAN pay more, MUCH more and get considerably less, but, here where these are about $2400.00 retail, a knowledgable mountain hunter CAN get more for this price.

The POI issue is certainly crucial, but, hardly confined to only these rifles. Each to his own, but, much as I DO like these, there are better mountain rifles out there.
© 24hourcampfire