Home
Posted By: Prwlr Mule Deer - 09/10/15
You asked about the accuracy difference between "old" Win Power Points and "new" Power Points. Today I finally got to the range on a very nice day - wind 0-3 mph and steady.

Test Bed: Kimber Huntsman
Old PP: purchased circa 2000 -2002.
New PP: purchased recently at Cabela's.
Distance: 50 yds.
Technique: Two 10 shot groups. Fired 5 old, paused about 3 minutes, then 5 new, paused about 3 minutes, then 5 new again, paused about 3 minutes, then the final 5 old. The lines are 1/2" squares.

Result: Doesn't look to good for the new Power Points.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Old_New PPsII.jpg
Posted By: raybass Re: Mule Deer - 09/10/15
Big difference!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Good shooting Prwlr!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Very interesting!
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
What changed?
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Wow, that's terrible.

I can understand maybe a lot difference, but,

but,

but....

YECH.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Outsourced overseas?

Like most other stuff?

Hmmm...

DF
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Let's see? Maybe he didn't do his part.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Did his part with one group.

If he was trying just as hard and the bullet was the only variable..

DF
Posted By: nimrodtracy Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
What was the caliber of these Win Power Points, .224 .243?
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
I'm thinking 22 rim fire.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Probably...not too much need for 50 yard groups elsewhere...
Posted By: boliep Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15

Those results might vary using another rifle.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
These were 22lr rimfire Power Points 40 gr HP. Surprised me too. My Kimber shoots other variants well. Velocitors, Blazer, Win Wildcat, and Mini-Mags, Fed 36 gr (bulk box). The Blazers shoot almost as well as the PPs and seem to have the same POI at 25 yards just usually have a few more flyers.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Oops, I forgot I shoot better to the tfel... laugh
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Yeah, I have a bunch of other .22 LR hollow-point ammo that will shoot better than those new Power-Points out of our rifles. Plus, I don’t really shoot that much .22 HP anymore (though Eileen does), instead mostly shooting .17 Mach 2 and especially .17 HMR. When I do shoot .22 HP it’s mostly in handguns, on charging ground squirrels and prairie dogs, and have a couple bricks of the old Power Points for that.

Thanks for the test. I’ve never seen the old PP’s shoot that badly out of any rifle. Even my Winchester 62A groups 5 into an inch at 50 with open sights.
Originally Posted by boliep

Those results might vary using another rifle.

boliep

That may be entirely possible, but something has changed maybe different tolerances, powder, velocities or the QC has suffered. These were produced at a new factory. I certainly won't be buying more of these as my go to hunting round for my Kimber. I'll miss using those old Power Points.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
Could you post pics of the boxes?

Australian-made Power Point (in the orange box in recent years) has been my go-to .22 HVHP load for many years. It shoots well in my rifles (about 1/2" at 50 yds in the Brno, and near that in the Lithgow), and in most others, but of course .22s can have their preferences.

More importantly the on-game performance is really very noticeably better than other HVHP ammo I've used, with a loud "thwack" and plenty of expansion on rabbits, hares and foxes.

Fairly recently Winchester Australia started offering a 42 gn Power Point Max, designed to give an even better performance on the larger critters like fox and wallaby. It is in a black box. I haven't given it much of a try yet, so I can't comment on it, but the gel tests shown on youtube seem to show good results.

Of course, what you are using could be something else again...
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Mule Deer - 09/11/15
I have noticed this as well with a Hornady Leverevolution in.30-30. My old ones make my old Marlin shoot like a good bolt action. The new ones shoot high and the groups are over twice as large.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Mule Deer - 09/12/15
Originally Posted by jorgeI
What changed?

My guess would be ignition and different tolerances on a new machine.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mule Deer - 09/12/15
Guess you can never relax with .22s. Just when you think you can, they change somethng and you're back to square one again. With CFs, if you've got a big can of powder and a brick of primers, you're set for a bit.

I've settled on RWS SS HPs for hunting and have found a few other loads that hit in the same spot for practice so I can save the .16 each ones for tree rats. .22 supplies seem to be easing quite a bit so hopefully I can try out some of those Down Under 42s soon.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Mule Deer - 09/12/15
Could be they're using Lead "made in China" smile
Posted By: hemiallen Re: Mule Deer - 09/13/15
Are the new ones ( poor group) in the 100 rd plastic packages or still the silver 50 round cartons?

Allen
Posted By: wyoming260 Re: Mule Deer - 09/13/15
That's a Bummer , I have been waiting to get my hands on some Power Points, but if they are not like the old , I will just look in other directions. The old power points were excellent in every thing I ever used them in. And were the best .22 lr for hunting purposes. I have killed lots of varying size game with them, including a wounded whitetail(long story). I wish I was smarter and stock piled more of them.......... Now I am down to less then 100 rounds.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Mule Deer - 09/14/15

Tried to do it all day long? wink
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Mule Deer - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by hemiallen
Are the new ones ( poor group) in the 100 rd plastic packages or still the silver 50 round cartons?

Allen

New = 100 red plastic pack, Old = silver carton.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Mule Deer - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by GeoW

Tried to do it all day long? wink

The morning was long enough...... grin
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Mule Deer - 09/14/15
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by hemiallen

Allen

New = 100 red plastic pack, Old = silver carton.

Made in USA?
© 24hourcampfire