Home
Doc,
<br>
<br>I noticed this cartridge mentioned in the recent Guns & Ammo In an article by Wayne Van Zwoll, anyway I had a question about the velocities listed and wondered if it was due to different powders or a possible typo. They llisted the fastest 130gr load at 3272fps, and the fastest 140gr load at 3361!! I wonder if you know if that is correct or a typo...62grs of VVN160 and a 140gr Failsafe...
<br>
<br>Regardless I am impressed with the cartridges performance...3000fps with a 150gr Nosler Partition[Linked Image] I like it!!!
<br>
<br>Mike
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: .270 Howell Question. - 04/27/02
Those velocities look about right. You may find performance data on the American Hunting Rifles (AHR) web site at http://www.hunting-rifles.com. AHR makes the rifles, imports the brass, and loads the ammo. I only designed the cartridge -- don't have a rifle for it.
Thanks I'll check their site again...
<br>
<br>I Just thought it odd that the 140's went that much faster than the 130's...But with all the variation in powders I can see why..
<br>
<br>Mike
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: .270 Howell Question. - 04/28/02
it's not unusual for handloads to produce higher velocities with heavier bullets. Different bullet shapes, different pressures, different seating depths -- a number of differences between the loads can reverse the expected "usual" order. Only a diligent investigation to compare the two loads in minute detail can explain why.
<br>
<br>An e-mail note from Ed at AHR this morning says that Wayne's velocities are very close to his.
Thanks for checking Ken, I appreciate it. I really like the potential of that cartridge!
<br>
<br>Mike
© 24hourcampfire