Home
Stick,

I believe I have barrowed your quote and humbly beg your pardon for the transgression. The quote however is thought provoking and I feel deserving of some more discussion among the knowledgable forum members given your permission of course. grin Also thank you kindly for the advise in the optics thread it is much appreciated. smile I've decided to trip the Sako simply due to it is compromised for my intended use. I feel after some research that the Fixed 6 MQ is likely a mismatch for the 270 application. The 6 MQ it appears shines at 400 and beyond however I feel the 270 shines mostly at 300 and closer. I'm a close pay attentioner and I think I remember you saying some thing about a 162 A-MAX leaving the barrel at around 2700. cool I'm thinking 7mm-08 grin

This statement if I got it correct sets up at least one part of what I hope to discuss in this thread. I am under the assumption that the reason for the 2700 number is that you intend on useing this bullet for close and way out there. I've crunched some numbers and it certainly seem realistic if the 162 performs as one would like at 2700 ish velocities up close. I've never tried it however am assuming you likely have on more than one occasion. smile If this concept works well the versatility factor would be increased by a wide margin.

The other side of the bullets and headstamps theory in my mind is am I better off sticking with rifles for two intended purposes. For example I have a tikka T3 270 that Ive loaded with a 150 partition leaving the muzzle at 2830 ish. I feel very confident taking a shoulder shot on an elk out to around 400 yds. The flip side would be perhaps a 7mm-08 loaded with a 162 A-MAX at 2700. There is little doubt in my mind that the 162 would likely perform better at 400-600 ish yds.

I havent crunched the numbers however assume the 162 leaving at 150 fps slower than the 270 150 partition at 300 yds has likely caught up and rapidly outrunning the partition and with 10 more grains of bullet designed to expand very well at 2350 ish velocities all the way down to 1600 or so which brings one well beyond the 600 yd line. cool

I think I know which way I'm leaning however there is sometimes wisdom in the multitude of council so I'd like to hear others experience and thoughts. Not just on the example I have cited but on the theory in general. Are short range bullet becoming obsolete or perhaps lacking in versatility?

THANKS MUCH smile

FOREST

You quote him, you direct the message to him and then ask for the opinion of others.

Tag/future entertainment...
Originally Posted by RDW
You quote him, you direct the message to him and then ask for the opinion of others.

Dave,

It is a given that one needs not ask for opinions around here. Opinions are readily given and often far from the given subject. grin

We really have no idea where this thread may go. cry

I was thinking popcorn around 8:30 ish however decided crown and coke may be more appropriate. smile

FOREST
Originally Posted by Forest

I havent crunched the numbers however assume the 162 leaving at 150 fps slower than the 270 150 partition at 300 yds has likely caught up and rapidly outrunning the partition and with 10 more grains of bullet designed to expand very well at 2350 ish velocities all the way down to 1600 or so which brings one well beyond the 600 yd line. cool

I think I know which way I'm leaning however there is sometimes wisdom in the multitude of council so I'd like to hear others experience and thoughts. Not just on the example I have cited but on the theory in general. Are short range bullet becoming obsolete or perhaps lacking in versatility?

In the amount of time you spent writing that post, you could have run the numbers yourself.

That aside, comparing the usefulness of two cartridges in your manner is quite a strawman. Give the 270 a VLD type bullet if you want to be fair. Using a Partition is a hatchet job.
Originally Posted by RDW

Ditto........
Do people really say "ish?"

P
Originally Posted by bellydeep

In the amount of time you spent writing that post, you could have run the numbers yourself.

That aside, comparing the usefulness of two cartridges in your manner is quite a strawman. Give the 270 a VLD type bullet if you want to be fair. Using a Partition is a hatchet job.

Obviously I spent more time writing it than you did reading it. My post is not about comparing the 270 partition to the 162 A-MAX. confused

Read it one more time ( SLOWLY ) cool

This statement if I got it correct sets up at least one part of what I hope to discuss in this thread. I am under the assumption that the reason for the 2700 number is that you intend on useing this bullet for close and way out there.I've crunched some numbers and it certainly seem realistic if the 162 performs as one would like at 2700 ish velocities up close. I've never tried it however am assuming you likely have on more than one occasion. If this concept works well the versatility factor would be increased by a wide margin.

The other side of the bullets and headstamps theory in my mind is am I better off sticking with rifles for two intended purposes.

Are short range bullet becoming obsolete or perhaps lacking in versatility?

FOREST
Which one of the old trolls are you in this new "Forest" wrapping?

My guess is WET
Well, I was about to say a 130gr Accubond at 3200 ish would beat both, but I could save two letters and say ~3200 smirk

My guess is WET

How does your not reading my post make me a Troll confused

If you dont like this thread go find another. A troll is someone who follows someone around. Right now I'm not following you. YOUR following me..... on my thread. CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING POSITIVE OR BEAT IT grin grin grin

FOREST

My guess is WET

How does your not reading my post make me a Troll confused

If you dont like this thread go find another. A troll is someone who follows someone around. Right now I'm not following you. YOUR following me..... on my thread. CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING POSITIVE OR BEAT IT grin grin grin

FOREST

I'm glad you're back, WET. I was wondering what happened to you. How did the Cermalube experiments go?
Here's a cross-section of impact velocities.

2260 and 1965fps impact...

162 on elk linky

[Linked Image]

2530 impact, caught under offside hide after smashing onside humerus...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

3015 impact, exit wound

[Linked Image]

When running MV's up there beyond 3000, if there's a good possibility of a lengthwise shot at spitting distance, I'll carry a mag-full of 140 TTSX bullets, with a few 162's in a pocket in case of a LR opportunity with ample time to set up. If starting them out at ~2750, then I've not seen a need to rely on other bullets for close shots, since IV's won't be very strenuous on the 162.

Thanks Jordan,

The real life experience is much appreciated. I am always open to listening to ones who have been there and done it. I'm looking forward to both the positive experiences and negative. smile

About the only thing that does'nt interest me is someone standing in a snowbank up to there belly giving advice on something they likely havent tried. grin

FOREST
Bullet placement trumps bullet type and head stamp.

So far this year I shot a moose at about 80 yards and an elk at 360 yards( lasered ) , 180 gr Nosler PT,.06 at about 2700fps MV.. Elk went about 15 yards, moose went about 15 feet
Great bullets and great placement trumps all.
Let's see FOREST registers on 10-5-15 and Posts on the wrong FORUM to Big Stick!

How far is too far?

You can't figure out how to make a 150gr Partition work to 600 yards?

Then I submit you shouldn't be using game bullets that far and stick to shooting steel and paper!!

Mike
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Do people really say "ish?"
P

WET has to say "ish" on the velocity.

He doesn't know how to set up a chronograph.
run, forest, run......
WETish
Originally Posted by huntsman22
run, forest, run......
Now,that's FUNNY!
And brown-ish.
Originally Posted by rost495

Not quite, being close to a road is the best...
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
run, forest, run......
Now,that's FUNNY!

LOL........ laugh

FOREST
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Let's see FOREST registers on 10-5-15 and Posts on the wrong FORUM to Big Stick!

How far is too far?

You can't figure out how to make a 150gr Partition work to 600 yards?

Then I submit you shouldn't be using game bullets that far and stick to shooting steel and paper!!

Mike

You are welcome to submit. cool

SUBMIT DENIED grin

Carry on laugh

FOREST
With Cermalube you should be able to get 3300fps out of a 7-08 with 162 Amax
With lower pressures to boot.
run, forest, run......

rolling.......
With Cermalube you should be able to get 3300fps out of a 7-08 with 162 Amax

Yes, but he would have to guess at those velocities using QuickLoad, but he can't set up a chronograph.
How long will it take for forest to "ignite?" grin
I am becoming pist off.......ish. grin

Forest

That depends on how much lube he has on the squirrel hole.
Fellas I'm going to disappear for the evening and will check back tomarro to see if there is any meaningful information related to rifles or hunting.

No offense intended but I have a life and sitting around playing tickle your twat isnt going to get it for me. laugh

Have a good evening and thank you kindly to those who have contributed meaningful information smile

Forest
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That depends on how much lube he has on the squirrel hole.
grin
Fellas I'm going to disappear for the evening and will check back tomarro to see if there is any meaningful information related to rifles or hunting.

No offense intended but I have a life and sitting around playing tickle your twat isnt going to get it for me. laugh

Have a good evening and thank you kindly to those who have contributed meaningful information smile

Forest

Yep,

This is WET.
Yup, and also now on ignore.
Didn't take him long to blow his own cover.

For a guy that supposedly feeds info to the FBI, he's not very covert.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by rost495

Not quite, being close to a road is the best...

I did miss that didn't I? The locals in AK tell me the best is middle of a trail or road.. lol
And this is Mr. Bill Monroe!

Add Airboat.
I for one will give Forest the benefit of the doubt. However, my first thought is it was Big Stick in disguise based on...........

annoying.................

formatting..............

like.................

this.
I think even WET would be smart enough to know Stick isn't on the Gunwriter forum.
Stick would have lost his temper by now.

This is WET, no doubt. He posts in the gunwriters forum and then complains about how nobody wants to talk about the substance of his stupid topics.

This is WET, no doubt. He posts in the gunwriters forum and then complains about how nobody wants to talk about the substance of his stupid topics.

If for some reason you don't like me or think I'm someone you don't like than lets both agree to not comment to one another. I'm not a troll and wont follow anyone around. In fact I have not followed anyone around since I've signed on to this forum. This is my last reply to you if this how you prefer it. I will respect your decision if this is what you wish. All you have to do is let me know!

Have a nice day!

Forest

If for some reason you don't like me or think I'm someone you don't like than lets both agree to not comment to one another. I'm not a troll and wont follow anyone around. In fact I have not followed anyone around since I've signed on to this forum. This is my last reply to you if this how you prefer it. I will respect your decision if this is what you wish. All you have to do is let me know!

Have a nice day!

Forest

You're a liar and a fraud, Will, and you're nowhere near as clever as you think you are.

Poor, dear Clara...
I'm not going to base this forum on a few [bleep] trolls who havent a clue who the [bleep] there talking to.

See ya later....You guys can have this thread.
Hey guys, I know Forest personally in fact I recommended her to sign on with this forum. Her fathers name is Steve Hodgdon and is associated with hodgden gun powders. She probably knows more about rifles than most of you will probably ever know that are running her down. Anyways she just called me and nice job running off a very sweet knowledgeable gal who loves to hunt and loves firearms. She won't be back.

Shod
24 hours more or less.
24 hours more or less.

Lol, she'll be just fine. It appears you were one of the few that were on target. smile

Shod
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Shodd
Hey guys, I know Forest personally in fact I recommended her to sign on with this forum. Her fathers name is Steve Hodgdon and is associated with hodgden gun powders. She probably knows more about rifles than most of you will probably ever know that are running her down. Anyways she just called me and nice job running off a very sweet knowledgeable gal who loves to hunt and loves firearms. She won't be back.

Shod

If "Forest" can prove she's not WET I'll offer my sincerest public apologies.

But I'm doubting that will happen.

Shod

Ok, just read through some of "Forest's" prior posts. You definitely didn't turn "her" onto the fire and "she" doesn't appear to know a whole lot of anything about rifles and reloading.

The question then becomes, is Shodd/WET/Forest all one person?

Shod

Is that similar to being "associated with law enforcement"?

Perhaps another hint here.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Shod

Is that similar to being "associated with law enforcement"?

Perhaps another hint here.

He just declared that I was Larry Root over in the optics forum. WET is on a roll now...
© 24hourcampfire