Home

Midway Tumbler FIRE

Posted By: Boise

Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

This morning our smoke detectors went off and we found the Midway model 1292 tumbler on fire on the carpeted basement floor. The fire was contained to the tumbler which was somewhat melted with about 10 inch flames. Some of the crushed walnut and a few of the 101, 222 mag case, had spilled out. Fire extinguisher rapidly put out the fire. The tumbler was on a pad but a 5 inch circle of carpet was chared.

Midway tells me to return the unit for a free replacement but they won't cover any other damage. Told me the unit had been recalled but I don't believe I ever receiving one.

Thoughts?
Posted By: 1OntarioJim

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Just suck it up and be thankful the damage was no worse than it was. Sometimes we just have to be thankful for small favors.

Jim
Posted By: CrimsonTide

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

I went through two of those, and finally after the second one died, I couldn't buy another. I think I bought a Lyman this time, but I got good service out of the Midway tumblers I had.

Oh, I seem to remember something about the recall, but it has been several years ago.
Posted By: MontanaMarine

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

I bought a 1292 many years ago, still works but I always run it outside, on a concrete slab.

I vaguely remember a recall many years back, but honestly I cannot remember if I sent mine back, or not.

I also have a Lyman Turbo, it rocks, and makes the 1292 look like a weak sister.
Posted By: crossfireoops

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Originally Posted by Boise
This morning our smoke detectors went off and we found the Midway model 1292 tumbler on fire on the carpeted basement floor. The fire was contained to the tumbler which was somewhat melted with about 10 inch flames. Some of the crushed walnut and a few of the 101, 222 mag case, had spilled out. Fire extinguisher rapidly put out the fire. The tumbler was on a pad but a 5 inch circle of carpet was chared.

Midway tells me to return the unit for a free replacement but they won't cover any other damage. Told me the unit had been recalled but I don't believe I ever receiving one.

Thoughts?


Those things are "air cooled"

I'd say that a close look at the very limited amount of air that the kinda hokey "Cooling Fan" draws in was cut off by the nap of the carpet,...those things have GOT to sit in such a way that air circulates in through the small gap created by those rubber feet.

Glad it was no worse.

Greg
Posted By: CrimsonTide

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

I apologize for not saying so in my earlier post, but the main most thing is that you and your family were not injured (or worse) during the incident.

Also glad, of course, that the damage to your home was not worse.
Posted By: cra1948

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Scary...glad everyone's okay. I've run a Lyman turbo for years, always on concrete or bare wood floor, with no problems....
Posted By: kraky111

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

I never run a tumbler on anything but bare concrete either....just the way it has to be.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Originally Posted by kraky111
I never run a tumbler on anything but bare concrete either....just the way it has to be.


Yep. Same here. I also run mine on a GFCI outlet, it that makes any difference...
Posted By: EdM

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Many years ago I bit the bullet and bought an RCBS rotary tumbler and it has been stellar. Built like a tank.
Posted By: 222Rem

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Those things are "air cooled"

I'd say that a close look at the very limited amount of air that the kinda hokey "Cooling Fan" draws in was cut off by the nap of the carpet,...those things have GOT to sit in such a way that air circulates in through the small gap created by those rubber feet.

Glad it was no worse.

Greg


Ditto. I run mine in the basement because they're loud, but I set them on top of the washing machine so they can suck in fresh air.

I remember a friend back in the 80's melted the guts in a VCR by running it with the dust cover on. No flames, but no more VCR either.
Posted By: BullShooter

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/20/16

CPSC-Midway-Arms-Announce-Recall-of-Tumblers/[/color]

Quote
CPSC, Midway Arms Announce Recall of Tumblers
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Company Phone Number: (800) 243-2506
March 27, 1998
Release # 98-088

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Midway Arms Inc. of Columbia, Mo., is recalling tens of thousands of tumblers, used to clean gun cartridge casings for reloading. The tumbler's motor can overheat, presenting a fire hazard.

Midway Arms has received 13 reports of motors overheating and catching fire. Five of these fires caused minor and major property damage beyond the tumbler. No injuries have been reported.

Only tumblers sold under the Midway and Past brand names are involved in this recall. The Midway brand tumblers have a blue top and gray base with the words, "[color:#0000FF]Midway...Model 1292...Tumbler" on a sticker on the base. The Past brand tumblers have a tan top and brown base with the word, "Past" on a sticker on the base.

Midway catalogs and independent arms distributors and dealers nationwide sold the tumblers from February 1992 through January 1997 for about $45.

Consumers should stop using these tumblers immediately and call Midway Arms at (800) 243-2506 between 8 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. CST Monday through Friday to make arrangements for returning the tumbler for free repair.
Posted By: Godogs57

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

You and your family are very blessed...could have been much worse. FIDO: forget it and drive on.
Posted By: RDW

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

I think mine is a 1292, old as dirt, switch fried and I replaced it with a generic toggle switch, been running fine. I never knew about the recall but I will continue running it in the garage on concrete, I might drill some holes in the base now that I know the concern.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

Originally Posted by kraky111
I never run a tumbler on anything but bare concrete either....just the way it has to be.


When I had a vibratory case cleaner I sat it on a 17" ceramic tile on top the carpet.
Posted By: MagMarc

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

I looked at mine last night and its a 1292, I didn't realize it was that old. I run mine on top of a steel desk and normally about 2 hours at time. I may drill some vent holes as well.
Posted By: gunswizard

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

I no longer own a Midway 1292, when I did I always ran it on the concrete garage floor with a timer. I didn't take any chances as I had purchased the thing used and did not know if it was pre-recall or not. I had an RCBS Sidewinder and agree the thing was bulletproof, I especially liked the timer switch. I am not running a Frankford tumbler with SS pins, it gets the brass like new clean but I think the wet tumbling and separating the pins is a PITA. I am seriously thinking about going back to a Sidewinder.
Posted By: gemby58

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

I know a guy here in PA that his house burnt to the ground using one of midways tumbler. State Police Fire Marshal ruled it was the cause of the fire.
Posted By: sidepass

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

Like others only run mine on concrete basement floor. Food for thought and glade things didn't turn out worse.
Posted By: RDW

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

Stoves, irons, gas heaters, curling irons and other appliances burn down houses too. Putting a pan of sugar water on the stove to boil and going out to swim will start one hell of a fire.

Uses common sense.
Posted By: Boise

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

Seems my house is always buzzing, Furnance, gas fire places, gas stove, refrigerators, freezer, gas garage heater, powered attic fan, electric tea pots, laser printer, computers, etc. None of these devices require special handling and need to be run on bare concrete floors. I think fair would be for Midway to replace the tumbler and pay to repair my damaged carpet. If I did similar damage to someone else's property I would be honored to pay for the damage.

I don't have any bare concrete in my home, it's all carpeted, tiled, or hardwood. If it was necessary to run their device outdoors it should be clearly labeled. So now I'm told to run my tumbler out in the garage which is the furthest point from my loading bench.

I bought a Lyman Turbo 2200 as a replacement - and two new fire extinguishers.
Posted By: carbon12

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/21/16

Originally Posted by Boise
Seems my house is always buzzing, Furnance, gas fire places, gas stove, refrigerators, freezer, gas garage heater, powered attic fan, electric tea pots, laser printer, computers, etc. None of these devices require special handling and need to be run on bare concrete floors. I think fair would be for Midway to replace the tumbler and pay to repair my damaged carpet. If I did similar damage to someone else's property I would be honored to pay for the damage.

I don't have any bare concrete in my home, it's all carpeted, tiled, or hardwood. If it was necessary to run their device outdoors it should be clearly labeled. So now I'm told to run my tumbler out in the garage which is the furthest point from my loading bench.

I bought a Lyman Turbo 2200 as a replacement - and two new fire extinguishers.


Be safe.

Half a sheet of Hardibacker under the tumbler when it is running ain't hard to do. Store it in the closet when not needed.
Posted By: Seafire

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/24/16

I had one, and got the recall notice... they sent me an RCBS one to replace it....which I have used all of maybe 3 times...

in the interim, I bought a Cabelas one for 'back up'...

on how much more open it is for filling and emptying... and especially how much more quiet it is...it became my main one, and the RCBS's main operation is to collect dust being my 'back up' one... all tho after many years of use on the Cabelas unit, I have't needed a back up....

and at the time the Cabelas one was $40.

key thing tho is that your family and home are alright and the damage was minimal...

and what Greg said....don't run on a carpet.. I run mine on top of an old steel metal copier stand...
Posted By: Huntz

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/24/16

I have been running my Lyman on a work bench for 20 years.It never gets hot.
Posted By: bhemry

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/24/16

Don't have access to my Midway tumbler right now to look at the model number, but do remember them issuing that recall, and it has got to be close to 15 years ago or more. For what it's worth, I've never sent mine in either.
Posted By: Prwlr

Re: Midway Tumbler FIRE - 01/24/16

I have had a Midway for a long time with no issues but replaced it with a Lyman which had the motor quit working just hummed no motion. Lyman would not warranty but I went ahead and bought a replacement motor unit (the base) as was cheaper than a new vibrator. I run my vibrators Midway and Lyman on a shelf that I drilled vent holes through to have air circulation.
© 2019 24hourcampfire