Home
Posted By: EZEARL 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
So what's the big attraction to it? Even the lowly 6.5 Remington Magnum bests it by 200fps(certain Nosler data).
Posted By: BarryC Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Feeding long-loaded 140s from a magazine even in semi autos, low recoil, great brass, great barrel life, great rifles.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Great round with excellent ballistics, wide availability in rifles from a number of manufacturers and excellent factory ammo.

If I didn't already have an '06, .308, .270, and .243, I'd probably get one, or its neglected sister the .260. As it is, I've got it pretty much surrounded so unless I suddenly get convenient access to a place where I can "air one out" at very long range, I'll continue to admire it from afar.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
EZEARL,

The biggest factor in longer-range shooting anymore isn't muzzle velocity, but bullets with high ballistic coefficients, which reduce wind-drift far more than initial velocity.

Laser rangefinders and scopes with multi-point reticles or (best) a repeatable elevation turret make hitting small targets at longer ranges far more possible, so the big problem is wind-drift. The 6.5 Creedmoor is short enough to allow very high-BC bullets to be seated close to the lands, yet the overall cartridge will still fit in a standard "short-action" magazine. This isn't possible with a 6.5 Remington Magnum, which has a very short neck and really crowds a short magazine.

With high-BC bullets in the 130-140 grains range, the Creedmoor really cuts down on wind-drift at longer ranges, and recoil is mild enough for plenty of practice.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Cuzz often times good enough is good enough.
It can actually be better than "better", when "better" brings a couple of negatives to the party like shorter barrel life and added muzzle blast, etc.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
We're those 6.5 Mags ever twisted 1:8?
Posted By: Yondering Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Originally Posted by EZEARL
So what's the big attraction to it? Even the lowly 6.5 Remington Magnum bests it by 200fps(certain Nosler data).

Same reason there's a big attraction to 308, even though the 300 Win Mag beats it by a lot. (Or any other small vs large case comparison...)
Posted By: 16bore Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Plus the fact that Hornady makes what is likely the best load (143 ELDX) in a factory offering isn't a bad deal either.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Out to 300 yards it will kill game just as dead as all the cannons I own. Grandkids blow just as big of holes in deer and pigs with it as I do with 264 Win mags and 26 Nosler. The big guns are better at longer ranges, but at practical ranges the 6.5 Creedmoor is just as good. In my opinion. I used to think a 7 Rem mag was the minimum cartridge.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It can actually be better than "better", when "better" brings a couple of negatives to the party like shorter barrel life and added muzzle blast, etc.

That's a pretty silly statement. Shorter barrel life, shorter that what, a 270 Win? Put on your hearing protection and muzzle blast is no problem.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Originally Posted by Yondering

Same reason there's a big attraction to 308, even though the 300 Win Mag beats it by a lot. (Or any other small vs large case comparison...)

EZ failed to read the thread. Read MD's reply.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
???

Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by Yondering

EZ failed to read the thread. Read MD's reply.
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That's a pretty silly statement. Shorter barrel life, shorter that what, a 270 Win? Put on your hearing protection and muzzle blast is no problem.

Assuming you're talking about the 6.5 Rem, the CR should give longer barrel life since it burns less powder. Probably not a factor for hunters, but lots of CR shooters also like to play at long range and burn up considerably more ammo than people that mostly just hunt. For those folks, longer barrel life can be an real advantage, not silly at all.

Even with ear protection, muzzle blast can be distracting, and it can get to your ears through other conduits, not just the holes in your head. Personally, when someone nearby is shooting something with a lot of muzzle blast, I feel it in my chest and head, even with muffs. The baffles installed over the benches at one of the ranges I use exagerates the effect. If I start to anticipate the report it can affect my shooting. That ain't silly either.

Posted By: EZEARL Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/21/16
Been trying to reply but we're having MAJOR server problems.

I did read MD's reply as well as all the others. I've never messed with any of the 6.5's but have always been aware of the long bullets and high BC's associated with them. So with the design of the Creedmore case when combined with modern 6.5 bullets along with the latest optics and firearms technologies you get the near optimum long range set up. And it's one that pretty much anyone can handle. Sounds like a winner.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/23/16
Eleven, twelve, and thirteen year old grandkids shoot it. This is a Savage Predator-Hunter. I have been thinking about getting me one. They won't let use my own rifle.
Posted By: djs Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/24/16
I need to have a 260 Remington re-barreled and am considering the 6.5 Creedmore. Against re-barreling to this cartridge are 1,000 260 cases and dies. I hate to spend more money than I need to.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/24/16
My bet is you can find a .260 loony or two who'll buy the brass.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs
I need to have a 260 Remington re-barreled and am considering the 6.5 Creedmore. Against re-barreling to this cartridge are 1,000 260 cases and dies. I hate to spend more money than I need to.

What bullet do you want to shoot?

Long bullets eat up case cap quick.

You could always keep the 260 chambers get and go with a Wyatts extended box to gain the case cap back.

Sometimes, sticking with what you know makes sense.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs

Having shot both cartridges a little, it seems to me that the 6.5 Creedmoor only has 2 advantages over the 260:

1. If you are shooting bullets longer than the 1.320" 130 grain AB.

2. If you want to shoot excellent factory ammo.

Answer those 2 questions and you will know which fork in the road to take to 6.5mm bore nirvana.

If you like you existing 260 barrel, would it be worth the effort to set it back, cut a fresh chamber and get a fresh throat?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by djs

Having shot both cartridges a little, it seems to me that the 6.5 Creedmoor only has 2 advantages over the 260:

1. If you are shooting bullets longer than the 1.320" 130 grain AB.

2. If you want to shoot excellent factory ammo.

Answer those 2 questions and you will know which fork in the road to take to 6.5mm bore nirvana.

If you like you existing 260 barrel, would it be worth the effort to set it back, cut a fresh chamber and get a fresh throat?

Never owned a 260 but #2 above in Jeff's post did it for me... grin

I wanted a cartridge for which I did not even have to think about reloading and for 20-25 bucks I can get good accurate factory ammo.

I do have brass and dies and will get around to loading the Creedmoor eventually but I sure don't have to worry about it.

Here's the first 3 shot group fired with the 120 Amax factory ammo at 300 yards.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by djs

The two primary advantages to a 6.5CM are:

1) Great factory ammunition - You're going to handload, no advantage.

2) Factory rifles w/ 8" twist barrel to reliably stabilize the long 140+grn bullets. - You're about to order a barrel, you spec the twist rate, there's no advantage to a 6.5CM for you here either.

Yes, the long bullets eat into the 260 case more than the 6.5CM - so what? You start with more capacity in the 260. Loaded to equal pressures, the 260 meets or exceeds the 6.5CM velocities.

David
Posted By: aalf Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16

Here's something that will never be said about a 6.5 Creedmore:

Today 07/24/2016 two new pending 1000 yard world records were shot at Harry Jones 1000 yard range in Fairview West Virginia. It was a 10 shot heavy gun Group (2.856) and Score (100 3X) shot with a 6.5X47 Lapua.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/attachments/target2-jpg.985840/
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by aalf

Here's something that will never be said about a 6.5 Creedmore:

Today 07/24/2016 two new pending 1000 yard world records were shot at Harry Jones 1000 yard range in Fairview West Virginia. It was a 10 shot heavy gun Group (2.856) and Score (100 3X) shot with a 6.5X47 Lapua.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/attachments/target2-jpg.985840/

And WHO gives a shiet?
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Looking for speed I wouldn't buy either a Creed or a 260. Both are pretty anemic in that department.

Don't care about match records either. Not into that .

Just wanted an easy going, accurate rifle/cartridge for range play with accurate factory ammo.

I may not even hunt it....I don't expect it to show me anything I haven't seen already. But I know it'll work.

You can't go the range these days without seeing someone shooting a Creed. smile

It's a good cartridge.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
To add to the confusion, Ruger is now making the Hawkeye FTW in both .260 and 6.5CR. The twist on both is 8". Accoring to Wieland's article in Rifle, the Army has designated the .260 as some kind of SP round, creating new interest. Some good new factory ammo for it would be nice.

Hopefully, with the hammer-forge mandrels in hand at Ruger, there will be some .260 rifles in other configurations as well.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm primarily a deer hunter and steel buster. It performs excellent in both of those categories.

Another big plus is ammo and loading components. The ammo selection is great and brass has been readily available. Brass is drying up as of late for most other cartridges.

It's a mild cartridge that does everything I want to do.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm primarily a deer hunter and steel buster. It performs excellent in both of those categories.

Another big plus is ammo and loading components. The ammo selection is great and brass has been readily available. Brass is drying up as of late for most other cartridges.

Daryl,

I just wish you could get Ruger to make a special run of RAR predators
in stainless for us lefty's

Doc
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Give me the 260....

already had my first since 1998....

if nothing else its a brass availability issue....

I've only ever used one bag of brass labeled 260, and that was back when my first rifle was new.. and it was Remington Factory brass... which sucked...

but then with all the 243, 7/08s and 308s in the world, I've never been short of brass that I just neck to fit the 260s I have.

not being a benchrest competitor, it more than meets my needs at close or ( for me) longer ranges....

a 260 barrel on a long action, with a one in 8 twist is a wonderful thing....
Posted By: kk alaska Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
[quote=shortactionsmoker]I really like the 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm primarily a deer hunter and steel buster. It performs excellent in both of those categories.

Daryl,

Doc

Yes us Lefty,s need one
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by Seafire
Give me the 260....

already had my first since 1998....

if nothing else its a brass availability issue....

I've only ever used one bag of brass labeled 260, and that was back when my first rifle was new.. and it was Remington Factory brass... which sucked...

but then with all the 243, 7/08s and 308s in the world, I've never been short of brass that I just neck to fit the 260s I have.

not being a benchrest competitor, it more than meets my needs at close or ( for me) longer ranges....

a 260 barrel on a long action, with a one in 8 twist is a wonderful thing....

Agreed about the brass. Hard to go wrong with anything based on the 308 Win case.

As for the long action, you can keep it. Short action with barrel chambered/throated accordingly is the ticket.....
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
What's not to like about the Creed? Low recoil, great factory ammo and very accurate even in a budget rifle like the RAR.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Daryl,

Doc

Who's Daryl?
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
One of Larry's brothers.

David
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
If nothing else, Creedmoor is a way cool name.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
Originally Posted by Canazes9
One of Larry's brothers.

David

Actually, both of Larry's brothers on Bob Newhart's three Vermont B&B sitcoms were named Darryl.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
Originally Posted by Canazes9
One of Larry's brothers.

David

Laughed my butt off David!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Looking for speed I wouldn't buy either a Creed or a 260. It's a good cartridge.

+1

It is a well designed, very efficient ctg.

For speed, I have the 26 Nosler and behind that, the 6.5-284.

But, I really like my Creedmoor. It kills stuff very dead.

DF
Posted By: gerry35 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/26/16
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
What's not to like about the Creed? Low recoil, great factory ammo and very accurate even in a budget rifle like the RAR.

[Linked Image]

Great picture. It appears the young dude can shoot........
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/27/16
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

[Linked Image]

Great picture. It appears the young dude can shoot........

He did pretty good for his first two. The big doe on the left was ranged at 200yds and the button buck was about 180yds.

I was using the 140gr A-Max and he shot both through the shoulders and they dropped instantly and both exited with about a quarter size exit hole.
Posted By: hunter8mm Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 07/27/16
I have been shooting the 120gr gmx factory load it shoots good in my ruger 77 vt
Posted By: brians356 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 08/02/16
In addition to other "pros" of the 6.5 Creedmore already mentioned, it also has a reputation for accuracy, and being easy to develop good loads for.

FWIW the Creedmore case is nearly identical to the efficient 250-3000 Ackley Improved, which has a reputation for superb accuracy (Sierra tests all their 25-cal bullets from a 250 AI barrel.) There are chaps who say they simply run new Creedmore cases though a 250 AI full length or Type 'S' bushing die, load 25-cal bullets, and go shooting. I still fireform my 250 AI cases "bulletless"(from premium 22-250 brass) but the Creedmore case offers another way to make the 250 AI.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 08/04/16
I have zero experience with the creed but from what I've heard and read in gun mags it seems to be a good all around, accurate, easy to load cartridge. But that also describes my 6.5x55 that I've had since 1995. So in my gun safe a creed would be kind of too much duplicity. I could probably learn to love a creed anyway but both safes are kind of crowded right now.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 08/04/16
I reckon the 260 and x47 is out, too?
is 3 Creeds and a 260 considered quad-plicity?
Posted By: old_willys Re: 6.5 Creedmore?? - 08/04/16
I had a RAR Predator in 6.5 creedmoor it was accurate but I did not like the stock, I traded it and thanks to the folks a Whittakers I have a Tikka T3 fluted "super" lite in 260 1:8 twist.

I am waiting on a new bolt stop to convert the T3 to long action and then the creedmoor's advantage of seating long bullets is mute.
sounds like complicate-a-plicity.....
© 24hourcampfire