Home
Last evening the National Weather Service revised their forecast for today. They'd been predicting winds up to 11 mph, but revised that to mild--which is what they were when I got up, so went to the range and tested half the 10 rifles and loads I had on my list for a cold session.

I like to do my "standard" cold test at right around zero Fahrenheit, with both rifles and ammo chilled exactly like they would be in actual hunting conditions. Obviously it can't be exactly zero throughout the testing, but when I left for the range at 9 o'clock this morning, our thermometer read +3 and the local Weather Service station said -3.

I'd left both ammo and rifles in our unheated garage overnight, and put both in the back of the pickup, with the rifles in padded cases, for the trip to the range. The chronograph went directly from our house into the cab of the warmed-up pickup. Chronos need to be fairly warm, and in fact I had to put it back in the cab to warm it up again through the testing. When I got done shooting around 11 the NWS station said temperature was 5 above.

The load I'd worked up for my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, a Jack O'Connor Commemorative model, was the 150 Nosler Partition and 60.5 grains of 26, a little under Alliant's listed max for the Partition, in Winchester brass with F210's. I'd sighted the rifle in 2.5" high at 100 yards on August 29th, shooting two groups, a 4-shot that went 1.08" and a 3-shot into .87". Average velocity was 3030 fps.

At zero the load actually chronographed faster, which I've seen before with a few powders, averaging 3074. Point of impact was slightly to the right of the August zero, but not enough to matter on big game even at 500 yards.

I hadn't hunted with the rifle/load this fall, mostly because others were in line ahead of it. But will next fall, or maybe next spring for black bears.
Great news! thanks! Makes that 8 lb keg I bought all the more worth it to me.

Awesome.

Have you ran any tests with Enduron? I did last winter with 7977 in the 7RM, and actually gained 8 fps average in -2, so I was wondering about my findings a little.

its reassuring to hear you've seen the same things. (gains instead of expected losses).
I've seen slightly higher velocities in cold temps with several of the newer powders, including Alliant Reloders and Endurons. But usually the difference is within normal variation; usually you'll see different velocities from separate strings of the same load on the same day, with would certainly be true of 8 fps. But this was a little more than I've seen with any other powder.
That's good to know; Thank you. I'm glad gun scribes test things like that out to prevent guys like me from learning things the hard way. It helps with getting my priorities straight. Like when running RL-26 at around 0 deg. F I can be more worried about various parts of my anatomy than about reduced muzzle velocity.
That's good to know, thanks Mule Deer!

It makes me feel better about using it for an elk hunt next year.
Thank you for the info. I need to find an 8lber of Re 26...........

BTW: My load data is exactly the same recipe as yours but I get more velocity - 3040 avg 😎
JB, thanks for your efforts.
Thank you for sharing. My hope is RL16 performs similarly.
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
JB, thanks for your efforts.

+2 or 4 or

Regardless of 'specific fps', 270, 150 gr @ 3000 + fps is fantastic.

I appreciate your willingness to deal with +/- O degrees just to graph in 'certain' conditions.

Thanks A Lot

Jerry
As usual, great info, John.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

MM
Jerry,

Actually, it isn't too bad out there! On the days I've done this over the decades, it's during the middle of a high-pressure system when everything's stable--the reason it ain't windy--and the sun is out. And zero in dry country, no wind, and sun isn't ANYTHING like, say, 33 degrees and windy in Alabama in January. Believe me, I've done both!

Of course, I was not only born and raised here, but Barsness is a Norwegian name, and the rest of my heritage is Dutch, Scottish and Tuscarora, one of the tribes from upstate New York near Buffalo. None of which are exactly warm-country genes.
John's testing and recommendations have saved me a pile of money and time....Thank you John!

I hope you got home in time for your lutefisk dinner!
M D

I can understand that. I'm HOT natured and have lived in Ark and S E La and spent time in Al hunting -8* up to a hi for the day of +4*.

The heat & humidity are very hard on me BUT I spent some time in Tucson & Sedona. It WAS hot but NO humidity. I didn't have any problems w/o the humidity.

Even here I can navigate work or hunting in our cold Wx much easier than I can tolerate the Summer heat/humidity.

Thanks Again

Jerry
JB, thanks for the test.

I can't imagine going to the range at "0"! I won't have to worry too much around here but it's good to know when I go to Colorado for elk each year.
Now if RL-16 be like that too

Damn......and I got all this H4831.......

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I was wondering if double based powders have the same shelf life as single based?
Thanks John. Useful to know this. My LGS ordered some for me. It should be here next week.
Jerry,

Actually, if you go looking for it Montana can make you miserable at both extremes. When in my 20's I lived for three years in the northeastern corner of the state, and during that time saw the temperature both -58 (that is actual temperature, not wind chill) and +113 Fahrenheit. But the most miserable weather was when it chilled for 3 days to around -40 at night and "warmed" to around -20 during the day. But the wind was also gusting up to 30-40 mph.

Luckily, most of Montana doesn't see weather like that. It's a big state, around 700 miles east to west and 400 north-south, with widely varying terrain. Have never seen it more than -30 here, or above 100!

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Of course, I was not only born and raised here, but Barsness is a Norwegian name, and the rest of my heritage is Dutch, Scottish and Tuscarora, one of the tribes from upstate New York near Buffalo. None of which are exactly warm-country genes.

The shooting club I belong to (Niagara County Sportsmans) is MAYBE 1/4 mile from the border of the Tuscarora Nation Reserve.

Means nothing but thought I'd add that. smile
John, can you see an application for RL-26 in a 6.5 Rem. Magnum? Just starting to wring it out and testing has been limited to H4831sc and H4350 so far......

This means I may have to dust off my drop tubes.......it's been so long I may need instruction on how to operate them.......

Casey
John,

I forgot to ask, do you recall the ES of your cold weather string?

I've seen ES increase with a lot of powders in cold weather.

Casey
Lawdwaz,

I've been there. Made a couple of trips to that part of the world in the early 1990's, and liked it. Good fishing in that part of the state!
SSB,

It might work well in the 6.5 Remington, especially with heavier bullets, since it's slower-burning than H4831.
Casey,

No need for a drop tube. RL-16 is a short-cut powder, and 60 grains doesn't over-fill the case.

The extreme spread of the shots was 21 fps.

It just gets better!

Thanks John.
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

It just gets better!
Thanks John.

Ain't that the truth ! !

-------------------------

MD
I just turned 67 yo and I have found LIMITS that aren't fun to cross.
In my 20-40s it didn't get too cold for me. ugggh !

Jerry
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Damn......and I got all this H4831.......

I am guessing it will continue to kill chit.
Thanks JB. BTW: RE26 is at Graf's. I just put in my order.
Jerry,

The other factor is that I have plenty of good clothes for cold weather, and experience wearing them!
John, thanks for the updated information on RL 26 and cold weather.

Bugger, thanks for the heads up on RL26 at Graf's, just placed my order. Even with the Haz Mat fee it is cheaper per pound than I paid a couple of months ago at a LGS.

Now SPS needs to get some 150 g. partitions in!
Thanks for posting the info. Can't think of a Rheinmetall powder off-hand that I've had anything but good temp-resistance with. Now that Hodgy is contracting them to build 4064 (and others?), maybe that'll change, but I'm hoping not.
Good info. Might have to try it in the .300 Roy, and .300 RUM.
I shot some today in 45 degree weather (I know that's not cold) out of a 22" Tikka 270 with 61g of RL-26 and 150g BT's, and had a 5 Shot average of 2930fps. Accuracy was right at an inch. Warrants some more testing for sure.
Thanks great info and I am glad I stashed 8lbs of R26 for new load work up. It is also really great for clean up. After about a hundred rounds I ran a bronze brush down the barrel and there was a puff of carbon dust when I looked down the barrel it was completely shiny. Ran a couple of wet patches and there was almost nothing on them. The de-coppering agent really seems to work.

The only thing is it doe's not seem to be an inherently accurate powder if they even exists. So far it has panned out with a little more tinkering than some other powders.
Very good info to have MD. Thanks.
RL26 has become my favorite powder for the 243 with 95gr. and 100gr. bullets. Very accurate in mine.
© 24hourcampfire