Home
I'm going out today to try these in my 270 Gibbs for velocity and accuracy. Reloder 26 is showing a lot of promise with this round. These bullets do look like nice though. Here it is next to my go to bullet the 130 grain accubond.

[Linked Image]
Hope it shoots for you, will be watching with interest..........
Is there a listed BC for that bullet Redside?
BC: I think it's .536
Yes, the BC of .536 is correct. According to the articles I have read hornady went with a 145 grain bullet because they wanted to stabilize in a 1-10 twist barrel that almost all 270's have.
Yep, .536 is what they have listed.

http://www.hornady.com/store/270-cal-277-145-gr-ELDX/

Thanks guys.....
Ought to be able to do damn near 3100fps with a full-house load and a 24 inch barrel. Should haul the mail pretty nicely!
That 270 Gibbs is one sexy round.

I have to agree with you I just love the looks of the Gibbs case, really the only reason I had the rifle built. I had mine built with a 25 in barrel so velocities tend to be fairly fast but I still realize I'm probably only getting 75-100 fps over what someone could get with a standard 270 win. I'm hoping for 3150 fps with this new hornady bullet,
I may have to give that bullet a try in my 270 WSM. I have been getting right about 3,200 fps with Rl 25 and the140 Accubond. I have also been itching to try one of the newer powders also.

Ernie
They certainly look sleek and I'm glad it's made for the majority of 270's. Probably be a wicked deer slayer.
Originally Posted by Redside
I had mine built with a 25 in barrel... I'm hoping for 3150 fps with this new hornady bullet.

Try Reloder 26.

I'm getting +3100 in my 25" rebarreled 270 Winchester with the 150 LRAB. Standard primer, Alliant data, 1 MOA

Using a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

Originally Posted by 41rem
Originally Posted by Redside
I had mine built with a 25 in barrel... I'm hoping for 3150 fps with this new hornady bullet.

Try Reloder 26.

I'm getting +3100 in my 25" rebarreled 270 Winchester with the 150 LRAB. Standard primer, Alliant data, 1 MOA

Using a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph

I have two pounds of Reloader 26 to try maybe I can get to 3200 with the 145 Hornady, I get 3300 with 130 accubond.
Finally got out today to check some reloads. I ended up working to 64.5 grains of RL 26 which gave me a velocity of 3197 fps. Accuracy was ok at 100 yards it looks like I'm getting some vertical stringing. I think I can work the load a little better and get it under 1 inch. Here is the target from today.
[Linked Image]
Sounds/looks promising, maybe try a match primer?
R26 is such a good match with 150s in the standard 270 getting velocity around 3130 with Alliant data. I think you might have a little more potential with the AI. If your getting say 50-100 fps more with similar powders like R22 I would expect the same or better with R26. I need to double check but I am getting 140s to 3200 in the 280AI in a 25 inch barrel with R26. This was in hot weather and haven't re-checked them in colder weather yet.

Charge weight was about half a grain higher than yours. This is not lab tested so you are on your own regarding maximums.
R26 shows no pressure signs until you are way over pressure. Not sure if this is just the nature of progressive powders or not?
Speed looks good. Hopefully you can shrink it up a little. That would be a flatliner.
Went out today it was a balmy 15 degrees and we have about 16 inches of snow on the ground. I switched primers this time from CCI 250 to standard Winchester primers. Mule Deer is correct my velocity was a actually a little higher than when I shot last time at 40 degrees, it read 3206 today. Groups look to have shrunk a bit also.

[Linked Image]
Redside
I have always wanted a blown out sharp shouldered 270.
What are you using for dies?
Help me spend money!
Rick
Nice group @ 3200 fps looks sub 1", I'd roll with those standard caps. R_26 seems to light right up.
I always liked the look of the Gibbs cases also, I remember the first one I saw some 30 years ago a local guy left a few of his 25 Gibbs empty cases on the local shooting bench. I thought it was so cool. Anyway, fast forward 20 years and I finally had Ray Romain make me a 270 Gibbs for a Dall Sheep hunt. My dies are just Redding dies and really fire forming is easy. Some people don't like the fire forming but I have about 100 formed cases now so that will last me a long time.
Any updates on how the 145 gr ELD-X is working for the guys who have tried them?
I'm interested in how these ELDs turn out for others...

I've picked up some 212, and 220s in 30 caliber...

and then picked up some 143 grainers in 6.5 mm today, that I am going to road test those in a 260 VLS, a long action 6.5 x 57 and 6.5 x 55...

Still haven't seen any of the 147s on the shelves...
Good grief. 37" drop from a 100 yard zero and 14" drift @ 500.

Don't call it a comeback......
The 147's have been UBER thus far for me.....
© 24hourcampfire