Home
Posted By: Partsman 25 Howell? - 06/11/02
Dr. Howell:
<br>I am curious, looking at the line of cartridges bearing your name, I did not see a 25 Caliber. Is there a reason for that? Such as not worth trying to improve on it, or just not one you cared for? Just thought I would ask.
<br>Bill
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: 25 Howell? - 06/11/02
Check your e-mail, Bill, for the dimensioned drawing of my .250 Howell.
<br>
<br>I like it, but Ed Plummer sees no value in it -- so it isn't available from American Hunting Rifles. Any reamer-maker can make a reamer for you. Any custom die-maker can make dies for you. Brass for the .270 Howell is available at www.hunting-rifles.com. Also at the AHR web site, you'll find my split-image drawings showing how each of these Howell cartridges compares with its nearest classic predecessor (the .250 Howell with the .25-06, for example).
<br>
<br>FYI, here's the full list of cartridges that I designed in this "family" of cartridges. Only the .220 Howell (at 2.4 inches) is shorter than the .30-06's 2.494 inches. All the others are 2.6 inches long (except, I think, that the production Howell Basic cylindrical brass winds-up being about 2.7 inches long).
<br>
<br>.220 Howell (.224)
<br>.240 Howell (.243)
<br>.250 Howell (.257)
<br>.260 Howell (.264)
<br>.270 Howell (.270)
<br>.280 Howell (.284)
<br>.300 Howell (.308)
<br>.320 Howell (8mm)
<br>.340 Howell (.338)
<br>.350 Howell (.358)
<br>.380 Howell (.375)
<br>.400 Howell (.405)
<br>Howell Basic (cylindrical, '06 head)
<br>
<br>All of these except the Howell Basic, AS I DESIGNED THEM, have 0.375-inch necks and 25� shoulders. Against my advice and without my approval, American Hunting Rifles changed SOME dimensions on SOME of these. I do not approve or accept these illegitimately modified dimensions. I had good reasons for designing them with the original dimensions, and changing those dimensions destroys some of the value designed into the original cartridges. (The larger calibers, as I originally designed them, have correspondingly greater case capacities than the smaller calibers.)
<br>
<br>If you look at AHR's modified drawings on the web site, you'll quickly spot these ersatz dimensions -- whoever changed the dimensions couldn't match the hand-drawn lettering retained in the remaining (unmodified) dimensions.
Posted By: Partsman Re: 25 Howell? - 06/11/02
Thank you for your reply, yes I got the E-mail and was very appreciative. I got busy and just got around to checking for it. Thanks again, was just curious if you had designed one in that caliber, I have a 25-06 Rem, but thought it might be interesting to see what you had cooked up.
<br>Bill
© 24hourcampfire