Home
I have always respected Richard Mann's writing and testing.

He gives a good write up here on 5 bullets out of the 300 Win Mag.

The Barnes LRX and Berger didn't do so well at distance.

Wished that he would have tested a 200 grain Partition.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/long-range-shootout?src=SOC&dom=fb

In theory, the perfect big-game bullet would fly dead flat, expand to double its unfired diameter on impact, penetrate just through the far side of every critter, and then drop straight to the ground, having spent all its energy on tissue damage. And it would do this as perfectly at 800 yards as at 80.

Of all the challenges this presents to bullet makers, the key one, given our current long-range craze, is the last. As a general rule, a bullet’s ability to expand and damage tissue decreases as it slows. It’s one thing to mitigate this problem out to 300 or 400 yards, as some manufacturers have through better bullet construction. It’s quite another when those distances double.

With 21st-century riflemen shooting to previously unthinkable ranges, the bullet maker’s challenge in the new millennium is to design projectiles that shoot as flat as possible, that are minimally affected by wind, and that deliver deadly performance from the muzzle out as far as you can make a good hit.

In the Lab

In reality, the perfect bullet not only doesn’t exist—it can’t. The laws of physics prevent it. But that hasn’t kept makers from chasing the ideal. So in an effort to find the modern big-game bullet that gets the closest to perfection, I used Hornady’s ballistic laboratory to test five .30-caliber hunting projectiles at .300 Win. Mag. velocities. There, Doppler radar measured flight consistency (from shot to shot) and bullet velocity from the muzzle to 800 yards. I also fired each bullet into ballistic gelatin at 150 and 800 yards to gauge expansion and penetration. The listed scores are out of a possible 100, based on a comparison with our theoretically perfect bullet.

1. Hornady ELD-X, 212-grain

Total Score: 84

I’ve seen the ELD-X in action on big game to 700 yards. It is impressive. The bullet has a radically tapered jacket, an internal lock, and a new tip designed to increase flight consistency. It is only loaded in Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition.

• Velocity Lost at 800 Yards: 973 fps • Flight Consistency: 99.999% • 150-Yard Expansion: 0.515 inch (1.67 times original diameter) • 150-Yard Penetration: 24 inches • 800-Yard Expansion: 0.580 inch (1.88 times original diameter) • 800-Yard Penetration: 27 inches

Comments: Hornady let me use its lab based on its confidence in how this bullet would perform—and that trust wasn’t misplaced. The company had no influence on my testing or the results. The ELD-X’s top-ranking flight consistency, and near identical performance at 150 and 800 yards, earned it the top spot.

2. Nosler AccuBond LR, 190-grain

Total Score: 77

The AccuBond has proved to be a stone-cold killer inside 500 yards. The LR is engineered to fly flatter, and it is bonded to help keep it together. It’s available in loaded ammunition from Nosler.

• Velocity Lost at 800 Yards: 1011 fps • Flight Consistency: 99.986% • 150-Yard Expansion: 0.480 inch (1.56 times original diameter) • 150-Yard Penetration: 18 inches • 800-Yard Expansion: 0.480 inch (1.56 times original diameter) • 800-Yard Penetration: 28 inches

Comments: Expansion at 150 and 800 yards was amazingly identical, if moderate, and the AccuBond LR retained velocity reasonably well. It had the least consistent flight of any bullet tested, but the difference from best to worst was slight. And it produced the deepest straight-line penetration at 800 yards.

3. Barnes LRX, 200-grain

Total Score: 68

I’ve used LRX bullets at common hunting distances with great success in North America and Africa. This is an all-copper boattail bullet, with a plastic tip to initiate expansion and flatten trajectory. Barnes offers them in its VOR-TX line of ammunition.

• Velocity Lost at 800 Yards: 1121 fps • Flight Consistency: 99.990% • 150-Yard Expansion: 0.610 inch (1.98 times original diameter) • 150-Yard Penetration: 30 inches • 800-Yard Expansion: None (1.00 times original diameter) • 800-Yard Penetration: 34 inches

Comments: The LRX could not have performed better at 150 yards. Impacting the 800-yard target at 1666 fps, however, it exhibited no expansion and tumbled through the gel block. Solid copper bullets typically need to impact at 2000 fps or faster to show significant expansion.

4. Berger VLD Hunting, 190-grain

Total Score: 60

During a hunt in New Zealand, my party took almost 50 big-game animals using VLDs. We had no complaints, and some shots were beyond 500 yards. All Berger bullets are known for accuracy. The Hunting Shack offers VLDs in some loaded ammunition; otherwise they are for handloaders.

• Velocity Lost at 800 Yards: 1003 fps • Flight Consistency: 99.995% • 150-Yard Expansion: 0.535 inch (1.74 times original diameter) • 150-Yard Penetration: 18 inches • 800-Yard Expansion: None (1.00 times original diameter) • 800-Yard Penetration: 24 inches

Comments: In the short-range test, penetration was a bit shallow, but the VLD expanded wide and created a wicked wound cavity. Flight consistency was very high. However, the VLD failed to expand at 800 yards and tumbled through the gel.

5. Hornady SST, 180-grain

Total Score: 60

I’ve seen great things from SST bullets on various big-game animals inside 400 yards. Prior to 2016, this was Hornady’s long-range hunting bullet. It is a conventional design with a plastic tip. Hornady offers a wide selection of ammo loaded with SSTs, and in Remington ammunition this bullet is known as the AccuTip.

• Velocity Lost at 800 Yards: 1267 fps • Flight Consistency: 99.989% • 150-Yard Expansion: 0.655 inch (2.13 times original diameter) • 150-Yard Penetration: 17 inches • 800-Yard Expansion: None (1.00 times original diameter) • 800-Yard Penetration: 24 inches

Comments: Expansion at 150 yards was impressive, which limited penetration somewhat. At 800 yards the SST tumbled after impact, which caused the plastic tip to shear and the nose to smear in a way that looked like expansion but wasn’t.

Yeah, I saw that report on Richard's Facebook page. Very interesting!
Yeah, it was kind of a eye opener for me.

And 800 yards is about my max range so this is a good report.
What, no 200gr. partition????? Damn...
Berger and Barnes users might not like this, looks like the rest did well. I wish they could have tested the regular Accubond, I bet it does better than the suggested 500 yards max in the article. Interesting results.
I wish they could have tested the regular Accubond, I bet it does better than the suggested 500 yards max in the article.

I bet it does too, and better than the Nosler 190 LR bullet.

I also bet the Sierra 200 gr. GK would do well.
Would have been helpful if he'd included the design specs for expansion as well as the impact velocities.

It does reinforce my personal notion that an unwounded deer at over 500 yards is none of my business.
Very interesting - thanks for sharing.
Why do some guys still think terminal performance can be determined by looking at recovered bullets?

Show the wound channels in the gel.

Why compare the 190gr VLD to the 212 ELD. 210gr VLDs are a thing.

I suspect the ELD-X is a fine bullet but the test was set up to favor that bullet by not showing the wound channels and purposely picking a lighter weight, lower BC VLD.

Many here know I have been a fan of the VLD so this might my bias showing. grin
Interesting test and write up. Thanks for posting it.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Why do some guys still think terminal performance can be determined by looking at recovered bullets?

I suspect the ELD-X is a fine bullet but the test was set up to favor that bullet by not showing the wound channels and purposely picking a lighter weight, lower BC VLD.

Yeah, the 210gr LRAB would have also been a good comparison to the 212 ELD.

Starting velocities would have been interesting to see.

Also seems like in a controlled lab/range one could set up a chrono with bullet deflectors and directly obtain velocity at range, instead of using a Doppler radar - but that may be a non-issue.

I'm working up loads with a .300 RUM, so it is interesting and timely to at least know what expands at range.

Tex, I'm working on 300 RUM loads too in my spare time, I'll settle on the 210 LRAB at 3K and a CDS, hope I can make it happen, got 600 on those damn bullets and 200 sticks of R-P brass.

Retumbo is looking very good last trip on the bench.
Mine loves 180 Accubonds, and Reloader 26 will run them faster than they're supposed to go blush Still working on load development, but it will toss 190 LRAB into sub-MOA groups, running 3150 fps, so I think it's just a load development thing.

I'll probably try Retumbo as well, but I can see using R26 in other calibers, and I'd like to stay with powders that I can use in multiple cartridges.

A long shot for me is 400 yards.I guess my Bergers and Accubonds will work for me.
Product 'hype' 100%....as usual!!
I've been killing deer & elk with the 30/06 Winchester 180 grain "Power Points" for years & years. I see not reason to change what's not broken. I'll probably buy a few more boxes when they go on sale. Bob

You have very good reason to show bias! Can't argue with results.

I am kind of befuddled that the Berger didn't do the "grenade".
Maybe just tumbled?

Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Product 'hype' 100%....as usual!!

Nosler 7mm 120gr Ballistic tip, launched at 3080 fps, zero'd at 200 yards:

15 mph crosswind, 600 yards, 45.18" wind drift, 66" drop

Nosler 30 cal 210gr ABLR, launched at 3000 fps, same zero:

---->>>> 600 yards, 15mph crosswind, 23.99" wind drift, 56.33" drop.

(calculated with Nosler's calculator)

- which are the numbers that persuaded me to start working with these fancy bullets

Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Mine loves 180 Accubonds, and Reloader 26 will run them faster than they're supposed to go blush Still working on load development, but it will toss 190 LRAB into sub-MOA groups, running 3150 fps, so I think it's just a load development thing.

I'll probably try Retumbo as well, but I can see using R26 in other calibers, and I'd like to stay with powders that I can use in multiple cartridges.

10-4, one powder for several cartridges sure simplifies trips to the component sales facilities.
The Partition probably would have had a pretty good showing in that test.

Also, if the two/three bullets that tumbled actually did so inside of an animal after impact, then that would have worked pretty well anyway.
Many bullets on the market to test for Mister Man. 3 of 40 is not really a good representation of available bullets on the market nowadays. Bias testing.

I would like to see how an E-Tip would have performed.
Originally Posted by 28lx

Ditto...^^^^^^
Gored oxen are never a pretty sight.

- which are the numbers that persuaded me to start working with these fancy bullets

Not the fairest comparison; a 210g at 3000fps is gonna hit hard on both ends. A 120 at 3000+ not so much....
I haven't seen a Field & Stream in many years. Their gun stuff years ago was seldom anything more than a cursory report, probably because the readers weren't hardcore gun folks. I'm unfamiliar with how it's done now.
Shooting into test medium won't reveal exactly how bullets will perform on game, but do show how they compare against each other in identical circumstances.

The ELD-X looks good. I'll never shoot at 800 on game, but it appears they should be reliable both near and far, with good wind performance to boot. When I get my .270 sorted out, they'll be on the list. Hoping for a 6mm as well.
I can't believe some of the comments so far. (Well, actually I can, because it's the Campfire.)

One person bitches because they didn't set up a chronograph 800 yards away, apparently believing Doppler radar is inaccurate. Among other things, Doppler is used in satellite systems and surface-to-air missiles. Oh, and the Labradar chronograph, which gets very high marks for accuracy in every test made so far.

Another is apparently upset that the test didn't include EVERY .30 caliber spitzer on the market, but can't even count how many bullets WERE tested (it was 5, not 3). Guess what? It was a test of LONG RANGE bullets. Even the 200-grain Nosler Partition which SU35 mentions, which has a pretty decent ballistic coefficient for a flat-based spitzer, would be traveling well under the 1800 fps Nosler lists as minimum for expansion at 800 yards.

Some even believe it was a Hornady commercial, when Mann has probably done more shooting research, both on test media and wild animals, with Berger bullets than any other full-time gun writer. He also published some of the very first articles on how WELL Bergers work on big game.

Originally Posted by bobnob17

Not the fairest comparison; a 210g at 3000fps is gonna hit hard on both ends. A 120 at 3000+ not so much....

Oh it's fair. It's just there's a price to pay for cutting your wind drift in half. But I did draw the line at buying a .338 Lapua smile
I for one am pleased to see the ELD's get good reviews. I've not tried the 212's but am in the process of working on loads for the 200 gr bullet in 300 WSM and 30-06, and 178's in my 308 and 30-06. So far I'm quite impressed with the accuracy and the cost is almost 1/2 of the Accubonds. My only concern is the lack of information on how they might perform on game.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I imagine it was less to do with the test being setup to favor one over the other, and more about ignorance of wound ballistics. Look at the responses in this thread.....

People can't grasp that what a bullet looks like at it's final resting point tells you little about what type of wound it created along the way.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
What, no 200gr. partition????? Damn...

A Partition at 800 yards?

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The Partition probably would have had a pretty good showing in that test.

Also, if the two/three bullets that tumbled actually did so inside of an animal after impact, then that would have worked pretty well anyway.

Again, you believe a Partition is going to do well at 800 yards?

Tumbling can cause tremendous damage, however at low impact velocities with no fragmentation it's not quite as impressive. The Berger VLD's do create good wounds even when they tumble.

Horribly. A that impact velocity 180gr 30cal E-Tip will have an expanded diameter between .30 and .35 inches and will generally remain point first through 16-18 inches of penetration. It will feature almost no secondary wounding effects and consequently will have a very narrow wound channel.

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Gored oxen are never a pretty sight.

What exactly was gored?

Originally Posted by Pappy348

Shooting into test medium won't reveal exactly how bullets will perform on game, but do show how they compare against each other in identical circumstances.

The ELD-X looks good. I'll never shoot at 800 on game, but it appears they should be reliable both near and far, with good wind performance to boot. When I get my .270 sorted out, they'll be on the list. Hoping for a 6mm as well.

Actually properly calibrated 10% Ballistic gel has proven to be a relatively reliable indicator of soft tissue performance.

Favorite bullets that were left out.

Horribly. A that impact velocity 180gr 30cal E-Tip will have an expanded diameter between .30 and .35 inches and will generally remain point first through 16-18 inches of penetration. It will feature almost no secondary wounding effects and consequently will have a very narrow wound channel.

[/quote]

That performance would'nt surprise me I'm not implying it would do well.Nosler list minimum impact velocity at 1800 fps at 800 yards the velocity should be close to that minimum.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

....People can't grasp that what a bullet looks like at it's final resting point tells you little about what type of wound it created along the way....

Especially true for bullets that tend to tumble through. The damage from tumbling bullets can be devastating.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Some even believe it was a Hornady commercial, when Mann has probably done more shooting research, both on test media and wild animals, with Berger bullets than any other full-time gun writer. He also published some of the very first articles on how WELL Bergers work on big game.

Well you have to admit comparing the 212gr ELD-X to the 190gr VLD is going to skew results to the Hornady bullet.

Add to that not showing the gel wound channel when both bullets penetrated the same but one tumbled does not really tell the story on terminal performance.

That performance would'nt surprise me I'm not implying it would do well.Nosler list minimum impact velocity at 1800 fps at 800 yards the velocity should be close to that minimum.

It depends on what you consider adequate "expansion". I do not consider expansion that is barely larger than bullet diameter, to be "adequate".
28lx,

A 180 E-Tip started at 3100 fps (the probable muzzle velocity from a .300 Winchester Magnum) isn't going to be traveling 1800 fps at 800 yards. That's using actual range-tested BC info and environmental conditions for Grand Island, Nebraska.

It depends on what you consider adequate "expansion". I do not consider expansion that is barely larger than bullet diameter, to be "adequate".

Roger FMJ performance is not impressive.
Tumbling bullets don't always penetrate straight, which is another concern.
28lx,

A 180 E-Tip started at 3100 fps (the probable muzzle velocity from a .300 Winchester Magnum) isn't going to be traveling 1800 fps at 800 yards. That's using actual range-tested BC info and environmental conditions for Grand Island, Nebraska.

John

Just simply wondered how an E-Tip would perform.I don't think the test was skewed in Hornadys favor. Not surprised the question turned into a goat [bleep] though.
Even the 200-grain Nosler Partition which SU35 mentions, which has a pretty decent ballistic coefficient for a flat-based spitzer, would be traveling well under the 1800 fps Nosler lists as minimum for expansion at 800 yards.

Very true, but it would tell us something about how accurate the gelatin test is overall at that 800 yard distance.

If the Partition fails like Nosler says it should at below 1,800 fps, then the gel test is a pretty accurate test overall, for all bullets tested.

On the other hand...if the NP acts like a normal NP shot at a closer distance then I have to wonder............

Also, in my own testing of bullets I like to shoot a minimum of two bullets to get a read.

Actually properly calibrated 10% Ballistic gel has proven to be a relatively reliable indicator of soft tissue performance.

That may well be true, but it still doesn't take into account things like say, a rib gets punched on the way in; wet, heavy coats; heavy fat layers; caked mud (pigs); etc. Lots of variables exist in the real world that are difficult or impossible to simulate. I figure if a bullet expands, penetrates, and doesn't go to pieces in gelatin, wax, or wet paper pulp, it's worth trying on a real, bony, critter.

That may well be true, but it still doesn't take into account things like say, a rib gets punched on the way in; wet, heavy coats; heavy fat layers; caked mud (pigs); etc. Lots of variables exist in the real world that are difficult or impossible to simulate. I figure if a bullet expands, penetrates, and doesn't go to pieces in gelatin, wax, or wet paper pulp, it's worth trying on a real, bony, critter.

Do you know this through actual testing and correlation of calibrated ballistic gelatin and live tissue performance, or are you guessing?

Not trying to be snarky.
FWIW the Nosler ETIP from my limited expiereance appears to be a tougher than a Barnes TTSX as it pertains to expansion at low velocities.

Do you know this through actual testing and correlation of calibrated ballistic gelatin and live tissue performance, or are you guessing?

I know this because I've shot stuff and witnessed stuff being shot by others and seen what can happen when bullets hit in various places, most notably when they hit even relatively small or thin bones. Your calibrated jello has a uniform density from one end to the other that's generally unavailable on living creatures, in this part of the country anyway, so can't be anything more than a convenient medium for comparison. Attempting to translate results from shooting holes in jello into an accurate prediction of killing power is really guessing.
I've seen Partitions expand just fine on their front end to below 1500, so yes I think a Partition would have compared favorably to the rest in the test.
28lx,

It would if you were elk hunting in the Rockies at 9k'-11k'.

If at 9k' it would be doing 2102 at 800. 2169 at 10k. These are based on JBM and factory BCs. Litz BCs for Nosler bullets are sometimes a little lower and sometimes a little better so I won't automatically assume they would be worse. An E-Tip would not be my choice of a LR bullet, but the point is where you hunt can have a meaningful impact on what may be suitable. I'd rather see tests where the bullet is tested at an impact velocity(s) and then the reader can equate that to a range based on cartridge and conditions.
DakotaDeer,

What animals? And where did the Partitions hit them?

Expansion can depend considerably on both factors. The highest weight retention I've seen from a .30-caliber-and-under Partition was a 160 7mm that impacted a BIG Alberta mule deer at around 2150 fps. Don't know exactly what the entire deer weighed, but the boned meat weighed 130 pounds.

The buck was angling slightly toward me, and the bullet hit the muscle of the shoulder, just behind the bone. The bullet was found under the hide toward the rear of the ribcage on the far side, retaining slightly over 90% of its weight, and basically had just barely started to expand. But the bullet slipped between two ribs after going through the shoulder muscles, so hadn't hit ANY bone, just a little muscle and both lungs.
M.D. Sounds like that Nosler NP came close to failing to expand. Wounder why? At 2150fps I think it should have shown more expansion even if it didn't hit bone. Or, maybe this just proves no bullet is perfect. Not even my favorite.
© 24hourcampfire