Home
I was asked today at a local gun shop about 225 Brass. Where to find it and how to form it. The old guy had bought a really nice Model 70 in 225 and was inquiring. I'd like to help him but have no experience with the 225. Can you help us?

I see that the 50th Edition Lyman Reloading Handbook has good info loading with IMR. What can you tell me ebout this old cartridge? Availability? Loaded ammo? Reloading?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
This might help you.

http://www.qual-cart.com/22%20cal.htm
Or this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=.225+Winchester
The .225 was based on the .30/30 case, with a rim the same thickness and diameter as a ..30/06 rim. However there is no extraction groove. It was referred to by Winchester as a semi rimmed case, but looks for all the world like a rimmed case to me, although it does normally headspace on the shoulder.

One could form .225's from .30/30 brass, but it would involve lathe work to reform the rim as well as forming work on the body of the case.

Proper .225 brass can be found, and it is worth the trouble to look for it, compared to the hassle of forming it from .30/30 brass.
wildhobbybobby

That's helpful information. Somehow I was thinking that the 225 could be made from 30-30 brass. Didn't remember that the rim is smaller.

elkhunternm

Thanks for the websites. Helpful.

I'll attempt to convey this information to the ole gent who has the model 70 225Win.

Sheeeit! Someone's got a bid of $199 for three boxes of the old yellow stuff. If I ever get back to northern MN again, I could pay my property taxes there for several years with the boxes of such ammo I have stored there. WOW!

And the recent "obsolete caliber' thread got me thinking when someone said something to the effect that "one can find ammo on the shelves". Well, one of the few calibers left on the shelves of a local store during the 'ammo famine' of the past few years were the boxes of new 225 ammo they had.
Genuine .225 brass is supposed to be very strong stuff, which is why it makes good JDJ brass. Doubt that reformed .30/30 would be as tough.
You can buy it direct from SSK Industries.com

Speer 13 has 225 Win data also . . .
The classic load is 33 grains of 4064 and a 55 grain bullet or 34 grains of4064 and a 50/53grain bullet.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Genuine .225 brass is supposed to be very strong stuff, which is why it makes good JDJ brass. Doubt that reformed .30/30 would be as tough.

30-30 brass is plenty strong. The 219 Donaldson Wasp was made from 30-30 brass. That round was pushed to the limit.
You may well be right, I just don't have any info about it. I do know that John Wooters used to lean on it pretty hard in a TCR, I think, to about .300 Savage levels.
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
The classic load is 33 grains of 4064 and a 55 grain bullet or 34 grains of4064 and a 50/53grain bullet.

The stuff they loaded in the old yellow-box ammo looked/looks very similar to 4064; never really had great luck with 4064, however, in my 225s.
© 24hourcampfire