Home
Posted By: Skatchewan Federal Fusion on Moose/Elk - 07/06/17
I wanted experieced opinions on using the Fusion ammunition on Elk and moose

I realize they are "designed" for deer, and are relatively soft.

But if a guy used the 180 grain loads in a 30.06.................................????
I've harvested 2 bull moose with the 165gr Fusion out of my M99 .308. Both 1 shot kills, neither went move than 15 yards. Both were settled animals, broadside double lung, full penetration & exited the offside.

I don't think they're soft at all. Fused core, for deep penetration.

Wait for the right shot opportunity & you'll have no trouble.
I did a kudu(about elk sized) 180 gr 30-06 shoulder. Crumpled him. I didn't get to see the slug as we had to jam to the leopard blind. But, I will say that I would use the 180gr Fusion on elk or all Africa plains game.
Thanks gents
I've only taken deer with the fusion bullet but it worked well for that. I recently shot a few different bullets into gallon milk jugs to see how they held up and penetrated. Out of my 338 federal the fusion bullet expanded like crazy, way more than any other bullet I tested. I think it was about 2.5 X the original diameter and it retained about 90% weight. although it retained weight the expanded diameter limited penetration somewhat. The 200 gr speer hot cor, 185 Barnes TTSX, and the 200 gr Accubond all penetrated farther. The fusion would probably work fine for broadside shots on moose but over expansion may hurt on angled shots.
I think Mule Deer has made similar comments
Posted By: prm Re: Federal Fusion on Moose/Elk - 07/08/17
A guy told me he took many Kudu (20-30??) on a cull with the fusion (338 Fed) and they worked very well.
I'll take a wide frontal area that stays put and a little less penetration for what I hunt (elk and deer). The Bitterroot and other great Bonded Bullets seem to work excellent, break bones and penetrate plenty far.
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Federal Fusion on Moose/Elk - 07/10/17
I've shot them alot in a 308 and 338 federal

308-150 gr. my rifle didn't like them, shot about 2" groups.
308-165 gr. my rifle loved these, shoot about as well as 168 gr. Federal Gold Medal Match, same POA/POI. less than impressive on 5 hogs and 3 deer last year, never recovered a bullet in the deer, on never had one pass through one of the hogs out of an 18" kimber adirondack.

338-200gr. ruger could barely keep these in a 6" circle, my kimber would shoot them in 1" groups. same results as the guy above, had a crazy hunt where I got 3 hogs in 20 minutes on foot in the field. massive expansion on hogs not so much penetration. none made a second hole, 2 DRT, one ran a little bit...

Unfortunately when thee shot so good on paper, I stocked up. I've got a boatload of this ammo, but I'm trying out different loads for next season. once the fusions are gone, I'm going to probably use all their brass and load up light for caliber TTSX loads, 110 or 130 in the 308 and 160 or 180 in the 338Fed.

150gr Fusion in my 270 Winchester were the most accurate bullets I ever shot in that rifle. Had to back off loads about 1.5gr compared to
150gr Accubonds.
A guy from Michigan was in moose camp with a rem 700 30-06. Load was the 180 fusion...shot his moose at 70 yd ...the bullet was recovered on the posited Hyde....it was a text book mushroom....weighte 160 something gr.....
Made me a believer...
Sounds like in 180 grain they would be a good fit. If I use them I will be sure to post results
Have used 180 fusions out of a 308 on a few moose.

Heck my wife used only one to take this brown bear at 180 yard with a 180 fusion out of 20" barrel 308. Muzzle velocity is only 2550 range, but still was one and done.

[Linked Image]
You can't kill brown bears with factory ammo. Especially SLOW factory ammo.
Haha 2550 isn't terrible for a 20" .308. Best I can get 180 sciroccos handloading before pressure is 2650 so not too far off. But agreed a .308 fed with factory ammo vs a brown bear will lose everytime wink
And the pro's fall silent! Nice bear,and congrats to the young lady!
Heckuva bear!
He probably photoshopped in the bear, and the wife. wink
Damn it how'd you know? I work for Pixar so this level of photoshop is pretty elementary.

That said if I truly photoshopped I sure as hell would have made myself a lot better looking in the process smile
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Have used 180 fusions out of a 308 on a few moose.

Heck my wife used only one to take this brown bear at 180 yard with a 180 fusion out of 20" barrel 308. Muzzle velocity is only 2550 range, but still was one and done.

[Linked Image]

That is a great pic! Congrats to your wife!
Pixar? in Wasilla?

In 1991, I worked at Little Beaver Camp for a summer as a camp cook. I think that was in Wasilla.
Haha the Pixar thing was a joke about photoshop:)
Posted By: Bently Re: Federal Fusion on Moose/Elk - 07/27/17
We have used the 150s on several deer (whitetails) in .308 Win. They performed well. My son shot a 3 year old cow elk with a 150 gr. out of his .308 Win.

He also shot his first deer with a 62 gr. Fusion from a .223 Rem. It broke the front leg bone and penetrated all the way to the offside ham (just under skin) on a quartering-front shot. Perfect mushroom...

Wife killed a mature Whitetail buck with 165 gr. Fusion (.308 Win), 175 yards, broadside. Full penetration, minimal meat damage. She has also shot two smaller does with same load.

Based on what I've seen, the 150's would be OK on elk, but I'd go with the 165s for elk or moose.

My wife will keep shooting the 165s this season, but we don't have enough for my older boy to re-sight in for him. So he will get handloaded NP 150s or 165s. My younger son will be shooting 150 NPs. All of those will be handloads, in fact, the 150 NPs are done and younger son's rifle is sighted in with them.
© 24hourcampfire