Home
Posted By: 1Longbow 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
Ok ,I'm asking this for a buddy at work,and I'm sure it will cause all sorts of hate mail. He sold a couple of guns and wants to pick up a mid range ,low recoil shooter. He will use it on deer ,varmints and possibly on elk. Of the calibers listed above ,which would you choose,and why. I own 3 of them and he has shot those ,but the jury is still out. It will be a bolt gun of some make. Least he didn't ask about a 270. Thank you ,and he'll be reading this with interest.
Possibly on elk,the 7/08. If not,then the .257 Roberts.
6.5 x 55..........just cause!

It works!
IMO, the possibility of elk eliminates the 243. 257 is my personal favorite, but if he doesn't Handload, it's probably not the best. And availability of factory ammo options would probably favor the 7 over the 6.5.
Posted By: 1234 Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
7mm08
Posted By: bangeye Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
Originally Posted by southtexas
IMO, the possibility of elk eliminates the 243. 257 is my personal favorite, but if he doesn't Handload, it's probably not the best. And availability of factory ammo options would probably favor the 7 over the 6.5.

This ^^^^^. He might also consider various statutes where he plans to hunt. For instance in KY the min. Caliber for elk is .270 . Don't know if there are other states that have minimums.
I'd go six five Creed.
Yeah, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as well. With heavier bullets I've found the big game performance of smaller 6.5 and 7mm cartridges indistinguishable in the field--and with the Creedmoor, .257 Roberts performance with lighter bullets can easily be duplicated by handloading. Plus, the Creedmoor is rapidly becoming a standard chambering, with the attendant widespread availability of both brass and a wide array of factory ammo. The last may not seem all that important to handloaders, but popularity guarantees not only easy availability of brass, but decent prices.

Plus, the dang thing is indeed accurate. A couple days ago I was sighting-in a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor for an upcoming magazine article. I just threw together some handloads, using a combination that tends to shoot well in any of them, 41.5 grains of H4350 and the 140-grain Berger Hunting VLD. After shooting a couple of shots at 25 yards to guarantee being on paper at 100, I fired a 5-shot group. The hole just kept getting darker, because all 5 went into .33"....
Posted By: donsm70 Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
6.5 CM or 7mm08 for me, or maybe even a 7x57.

I have come to the conclusion that you don't need a 300 WSM to kill an elk, but I personally would not want to take a .243 either.

donsm70
Posted By: Tejano Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
Agree the 6.5 hits a sweet spot that overlaps all the other choices listed. Mine's a Swede but any of the medium 6.5s would fit the bill. I haven't loaded anything lighter than 120 grain pills but will give the lightweights a try sometime. Varmints to Elk is a pretty tall order but the 6.5s can do it. Second choice and a good one is the 7-08.
Good question.

True Loony answer, you need'em all...

I'd had'em all, liked'em all.

Right now, my favorite two are the 6.5 Creed and 7mm-08, because they're my current projects.

Those two are versatile, have a world of potential, hard to beat'em for all around use.

DF
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as well. With heavier bullets I've found the big game performance of smaller 6.5 and 7mm cartridges indistinguishable in the field--and with the Creedmoor, .257 Roberts performance with lighter bullets can easily be duplicated by handloading. Plus, the Creedmoor is rapidly becoming a standard chambering, with the attendant widespread availability of both brass and a wide array of factory ammo. The last may not seem all that important to handloaders, but popularity guarantees not only easy availability of brass, but decent prices...

I was browsing around the Boise Cabela's yesterday afternoon and noticed there were at least 10-12 different kinds of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo on the shelf, or about 3-4 feet of shelf space. There were two lonely boxes of .260 Remington ammo, both of them a Hormady 130 grain match load of some kind - in contrast to the last time I checked a few weeks ago when there wasn't any .260 ammo of any kind. Zero boxes of 6.5x55. Not exactly a scientific study but it definitely shows the popularity of the Creed. Actually there were about as many different kinds of 6.5 CM ammo as there was .30-30 ammo.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
For low recoil deer and varmints, 243 hands down. I take the "maybe elk" to mean it's a dream but unlikely to occur. Might as well pick something for what he is using it for and the 243 is far and away the milder recoil and more than enough for varmints and deer.
I like my Swede, just easier to work up high performance loads with the Creed.

That round, one of the easiest to work with I've had in 50+ years of reloading. It's even easier than the 7mm-07.
Creed and Swede wear Shilen barrels, the 7mm-08, a Hart.

So, no technical advantage, one over the other, just the rounds.

DF
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
For low recoil deer and varmints, 243 hands down. I take the "maybe elk" to mean it's a dream but unlikely to occur. Might as well pick something for what he is using it for and the 243 is far and away the milder recoil and more than enough for varmints and deer.

If I was to build another .243, it would be an 8 twist for 105's.

With these new powders and in a fast twist, the old .243 takes on new flavor.

But, I have too many ongoing projects to circle back.

DF
DF If the person is a hand loader I would suggest the 25-08 over the 243 because of the heavier bullets that can be used.. there is a never ending supply of brass by necking up or down you can get there. Just my take on an all around cartridge.. Cheers NC But what do I know???
I'm coming at the ?? right now from a different angle as a old fart with a lame shouder, and hip deep in the re alignent of my shooters. For a One gun do all hunter I'd pick a 7-08...easy availability of good inexpensive factory ammo in everything from Hrn'dy's American WhitTail to the good stuff and comonly available everywhere.

Right now I am putting together a M70 7x57 and gathering & comparing data and reloading components for it. The 7-08 for all intents and purposes is the Ballistic Twin to the 7x57. I also own now, and have owned and shot as a one gun doall a 6.5x55 Swede with both of them in T3's. IMO in the 120,130 & 140's the Swede and 7-08 are about neck and neck for recoil, MV's and drop #'s out to 300 yards in the same weight bullets which is all he needs for WTails ..Elk on the other hand is different story I'm told - never killed one - but the 7-08 has made in USA factory loads in 150's & 160's at normal WTail ammo prices.

I owned and shot for well over 10 years a M70 XTR 257 Rbts's as my go to rifle, and owned at the same time a safe full of SAKO, Ruger and Winchesters from 270 thru 375H&H's after my 1st major shoulder problem. The Roberts is a great gun and cartridge with low recoil...I shot the barrel out of that M70 Rbt's. I know times have changed from the early '80 to mid '90's as far as ammo choice's and availablity go's..but the Rbt's is fine on WTails out to 3 mebbe 400 yards, but Elk??? - my semi supported 440+ yard off hand shot on a Pronghorn with 2 gun industry witness's aside - the Rbt's would not be my choice for anything with the 7-08 available.

Also not a fan of the 243 as a one gun do all, and even the "wedding present" ( I had to pay for) of a SAKO 579 243 from my grandpop in 1967 didn't convince me to keep that super accurate SAKO. A 243's fine on Texas sized WTails but reminds me a 22-250 or a 410 on dove & quail and more of an experienced shooters deer cartridge, even with todays bigtime better ammo. Even a 22lr can kill WTail if you can get close enough, especially when you hunt "the long pasture with the white stripe in the middle" so don't ask me how I know that for a fact...
Ron
Tell him to get the 243. I have had lots of friends ask that same question. Invariably they get the '06 because it will be big enough for elk....which they NEVER get around to hunt. The lightweight '06 kicks like a mule and consequently they don't shoot it enough to be familiar with it when they hunt whitetails. A nice lightweight 243 is something that they can punch paper with and maybe some varmints and they will be happy to use if they go after deer or antelope. If the elk hunt ever happens they can go buy a used '06, there are always lots of them for sale.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I like my Swede, just easier to work up high performance loads with the Creed.

That round, one of the easiest to work with I've had in 50+ years of reloading. It's even easier than the 7mm-07.
Creed and Swede wear Shilen barrels, the 7mm-08, a Hart.

So, no technical advantage, one over the other, just the rounds.

DF

This.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
I have answered this several ways for myself. The swede and Bob live here permanently and just added the 243 and 708. Can't screw up but if I had to pick just one I would build a 257 on a nice custom and wouldn't ever feel unprepared
Posted By: basdjs Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
.260 Rem or 6.5 CM because either is fine for varmints, deer, or elk.
7mm-08.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
There are really no wrong choices within that range listed and some others have also mentioned
that you didn't...

All solutions in life should be so easy to find...
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
6.5, any of them. But the Creedmoor is the 6.5 of the future.
Originally Posted by JMR40
6.5, any of them. But the Creedmoor is the 6.5 of the future.

Ya reckon?

Seems to be moving that way.

DF
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/16/17
If he's going to buy a factory gun and use factory ammo then 6.5 CM all the way. Going custom opens other options, but the 6.5 CM has a lot going for it, especially being done right from the beginning in factory guns and ammo.
Originally Posted by Seafire
There are really no wrong choices within that range listed and some others have also mentioned
that you didn't...

All solutions in life should be so easy to find...

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder why he didn't mention the .308 and be done with it. whistle
6.5 Creedmore first, 7-08 second. Go forth and kill any ungulate in North America. Not to mention varmints...

Ed
Posted By: NTG Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/17/17
Because you said elk, 7-08 first, 6.5 C second.
Plus, the dang thing is indeed accurate. A couple days ago I was sighting-in a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor for an upcoming magazine article. I just threw together some handloads, using a combination that tends to shoot well in any of them, 41.5 grains of H4350 and the 140-grain Berger Hunting VLD. After shooting a couple of shots at 25 yards to guarantee being on paper at 100, I fired a 5-shot group. The hole just kept getting darker, because all 5 went into .33"....

I'll give you $300 for it when you finish writing your article......... :-)
I have three .257Rs and two 6.5CMs. Love both chamberings. Nostalgia (and proven effectiveness) says to go with Ned Robert's baby. Cutting edge (and proven effectiveness) say to go with Dave Emery's baby. Decisions. Nothing against the .243 but, as a dyed-in-the-wool .25 cal. fan(atic), I have zero interest. And, the Bob and CM are both effective on game up to and including elk.
Originally Posted by shootinurse
I have three .257Rs and two 6.5CMs. Love both chamberings. Nostalgia (and proven effectiveness) says to go with Ned Robert's baby. Cutting edge (and proven effectiveness) say to go with Dave Emery's baby. Decisions. Nothing against the .243 but, as a dyed-in-the-wool .25 cal. fan(atic), I have zero interest. And, the Bob and CM are both effective on game up to and including elk.

Feel about the same. My only quarter bore is a .240 Wby in an HS Precision rifle with Hunter's Edge stock. It loves 100 gr. NPT's. I tried 105's, no dice. I wish it was 8 twist instead of 10 twist, but half MOA with 100 gr. Partitions is good enough.

I have the mentioned chamberings, except 7.x57, which I had but traded.

Not a bad choice in the mix.

RIght now, I'm working with heavier bullets in the CM, have 143 and 147 ELD's.

DF
HS .240, 6500 in Talley rings, scope since replaced by VX-6 2-12x42.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/17/17
Another sweet one DF. I highly approve, and applaud!
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Another sweet one DF. I highly approve, and applaud!

Lot more sizzle than bite... wink

Good speed goat gun. .240 reaches out there to find'em, Partition plants their nose in the dirt.

FD

Feel about the same. My only quarter bore is a .240 Wby in an HS Precision rifle with Hunter's Edge stock. It loves 100 gr. NPT's. I tried 105's, no dice. I wish it was 8 twist instead of 10 twist, but half MOA with 100 gr. Partitions is good enough.

DF
Thought a quarter bore was the .257" calibers. grin laugh
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF

Whoops, what was I thinking... blush

Maybe .243 is the "new" quarter bore, after inflation and taxes... shocked

I do have a real quarter bore, a great .257R, LA 700 with Brux SS barrel. It loves gunner's H100V load, 100 gr. TTSX at 3,240 fps. And as he says, that load is a real little buzz saw... grin

Thanks for that correction... laugh

My birthday is this week, older than Ingwe... cry

Senior moment...?? wink

DF
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/17/17
A .243 is as close to 1/4" as a .257.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
A .243 is as close to 1/4" as a .257.

Thanks, 458, for bailing me out... grin

Need all the help I can get... cool

DF
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/17/17
But if we're talking about the barrel bore vs. bullet diam, you drill a barrel 0.250", then rifle it and use .257" bullets, so a .243/6mm isn't a 1/4 bore.

DF

I do have a real quarter bore, a great .257R, LA 700 with Brux SS barrel. It loves gunner's H100V load, 100 gr. TTSX at 3,240 fps. And as he says, that load is a real little buzz saw... grin

Senior moment...?? wink

DF

I'm not a senior,but that is a great excuse DF and it'll work. wink

DF

Senior moment...?? wink

DF

I'm not a senior,but that is a great excuse DF and it'll work. wink

Best exuse I could come up with in a pinch... grin

Actively recruiting sympathy, not bashful about it... smile

DF
Hey, both .243" and .257" bullets are .007" off .250"....
You can have all the sympathy from me you want,DF. Cause I'm getting there myself.
Hey, both .243" and .257" bullets are .007" off .250"....

Ah, little quarter bore, big quarter bore.

So, guess I was half right...

Maybe half wrong...

Oh well...

Thanks for the help, JB... grin

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/18/17
I will mirror what the majority has stated.

6.5 Creedmoor, then 7-08, or 7-08 then 6.5 Creedmoor.

Find a rifle he likes and have at it.
I'm currently working up loads for both.

Bobby Hart 7mm-08 in Hunter's Edge and Shilen/700 CM in modified OEM, ADL stock plus two extra handles.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm currently working up loads for both.

Bobby Hart 7mm-08 in Hunter's Edge and Shilen/700 CM in modified OEM, ADL stock plus two extra handles.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DF, you have some mighty fine firearms there, and excellent taste, as well. You're a long way from Bobby's place, though. He's only an hour away from me. Almost too convenient. grin
Thanks for those kind words.

I traded for the Bobby 7-08, wearing a McM Hunter. I didn't like that stock, sold it on the Classifieds, bought this Hunter's Edge thru Rick here at the Fire Store. I got it in the raw, glassed the action, freefloated the barrel, sent it back to McM for gray paint with black specks. It came with a Timney 510; the Creed has one, too.

I have a bunch of loads to test, both guns. I sent the Conquests back for elevation turrets, plan to get BallisticTape when I find the best load for each gun.

DF
Posted By: Tejano Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/19/17
[quote=shootinurse]
Feel about the same. My only quarter bore is a .240 Wby in an HS Precision rifle with Hunter's Edge stock. DF

AKA 6-06 Belted.

No wrong choices but for me I would get two of them probably a 243 and a 7-08 but as I said before the 6.5s could cover it all.
Originally Posted by Tejano
[quote=shootinurse]
Feel about the same. My only quarter bore is a .240 Wby in an HS Precision rifle with Hunter's Edge stock. DF

AKA 6-06 Belted.

No wrong choices but for me I would get two of them probably a 243 and a 7-08 but as I said before the 6.5s could cover it all.

Yep.

In fact, the 6mm-06 holds a grain or two more powder. I've made .240 brass from 25-06 cases. Not easy to swage an entire case body, but is possible with enough muscle power.

Rumor has it Roy Weatherby made some of his early cases the same way.

DF
Posted By: Brad Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/19/17
Originally Posted by CRS
I will mirror what the majority has stated.

6.5 Creedmoor, then 7-08, or 7-08 then 6.5 Creedmoor.

Find a rifle he likes and have at it.

This.
Posted By: szihn Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/19/17
From his list, ...........7-08.
All are good but for his question, the 7-08 is the best answer.
6.5's have whacked a bunch of elk, still doing it. But the 7mm is more versatile when it come to heavier bullets.

As much as I like my CM, I'd probably chose the 7mm-08 over the CM for elk.

DF
Posted By: OttoG Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/20/17
I love my 6.5x55 but it can't quite live with my 7-08 and 150gr Scirroccos at 2,800fps. That said if I couldn't use a suppressor I'd stick with the 6.5.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 6.5,243,7-08,257 Roberts? - 07/20/17
Yeah, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor as well. With heavier bullets I've found the big game performance of smaller 6.5 and 7mm cartridges indistinguishable in the field--and with the Creedmoor, .257 Roberts performance with lighter bullets can easily be duplicated by handloading. Plus, the Creedmoor is rapidly becoming a standard chambering, with the attendant widespread availability of both brass and a wide array of factory ammo. The last may not seem all that important to handloaders, but popularity guarantees not only easy availability of brass, but decent prices.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
© 24hourcampfire