Home
Posted By: JTPinTX 257 Roberts brass options? - 07/31/17
I have come into a 257 Roberts built on a VZ-24 action. It just came with a few cases though, and I need brass. Which, of course, is pretty tough to find right now.

You can find some Nosler at around $65-80/50 a few places. Kind of spendy for my tastes, but will do it if I have to. Gunbroker has a bit here and there, but I don't really care for the auctions/waiting/bidding thing. Once again, I will do it if I need to though. I could form it down from 7x57, but since I have two 7x57's in the safe I really would rather not go that route. What are some other options? Anyone know of some Remington or Winchester in stock somewhere? Form from something different? I don't have to have a bunch for this rifle, 50 would do, I would prefer to have 100 though.

Options?
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
I have come into a 257 Roberts built on a VZ-24 action. It just came with a few cases though, and I need brass. Which, of course, is pretty tough to find right now.

You can find some Nosler at around $65-80/50 a few places. Kind of spendy for my tastes, but will do it if I have to. Gunbroker has a bit here and there, but I don't really care for the auctions/waiting/bidding thing. Once again, I will do it if I need to though. I could form it down from 7x57, but since I have two 7x57's in the safe I really would rather not go that route. What are some other options? Anyone know of some Remington or Winchester in stock somewhere? Form from something different? I don't have to have a bunch for this rifle, 50 would do, I would prefer to have 100 though.

Options?

I believe I can help. I have quite a bit of new Remington and could spare 50 rounds. Send me a PM.
Put SPS on your speed dial. They don't have any, but check that site often.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/shooters-pro-shop/reloading/bullets.html

Ask on the Classifieds, sometimes someone has some.

Google for once fired, etc.

MidwayUSA, check with them and if N/A, click the "to be notified" button.

I found mine along the way, Gotta be persistant and patient.

DF
Posted By: bangeye Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 07/31/17
I saw some in the classifieds last night. You might try there.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 07/31/17
It looks like Butch has some and can help me out. I'll keep my eye out those other places though and try to pick some more up here and there as I can.
If you run across any 6mm Remington brass, pick it up. A pass through a sizing die and it is good to go.

Jim
It is in a Priority box to JTPinTX and he will have it on Thursday.
Good on you, Butch.
And congratulations to you, JT.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/01/17
Yes, he sure helped me out and I appreciate it, no doubt!

I'll keep my eye out for some more but this will get me rolling in the meantime.
Posted By: jwall Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/01/17
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
If you run across any 6mm Remington brass, pick it up. A pass through a sizing die and it is good to go.

Jim

Wouldn't 6.5X55 brass be close enuff-- when you size it down to 257--it should grow longer ?? Worth checking out.

Jerry
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/01/17
I thought I saw WW 6mm Rem brass online on Cabela's web site this morning. Worth a look.

Tom
Posted By: mathman Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/01/17
Originally Posted by jwall

Jim

Wouldn't 6.5X55 brass be close enuff-- when you size it down to 257--it should grow longer ?? Worth checking out.

Jerry

6.5x55 is a different ball game. It isn't a 2mm short 6.5x57.
Originally Posted by mathman

Jim

Jerry

6.5x55 is a different ball game. It isn't a 2mm short 6.5x57.

6.5x55 case rim is slightly larger, often requires a special shell holder instead of the usual RCBS #3.

DF
You can always buy factory 257 Roberts ammo if need be.
Ronnie
Yes, he sure helped me out and I appreciate it, no doubt!

I'll keep my eye out for some more but this will get me rolling in the meantime.

How many pieces and what brand did you get?
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/01/17
50 cases, RP, is what he sold me Paul.

Local Gun Shop has a box of 100 grain Remington factory loads I may buy to get 20 more cases.
PM me your address and I'll send you 50 more RP.
Posted By: jwall Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/02/17
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

6.5x55 case rim is slightly larger, often requires a special shell holder instead of the usual RCBS #3.

DF

D F -
Yes & No. I had to get a #2 shell holder for my Swede BUT others reported they use #3.

I'm 'guessing' here, it may be in the brand of brass.

Jim

I have a 6mm R & 6.5X55 and the cases look SO similar. I haven't measured the exact diff
but they ARE very close.

Jerry
Posted By: Tejano Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/02/17
Sounds like your set but if you want the best I think it is worthwhile to neck down RWS brass in 6.5x57 or Lapua in 7x57.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/02/17
Thank You Paul, PM inbound.
Jwall,

Some '06 size shell holders will work with the slightly larger 6.5x55 rim, some won't as you note.

I had to get a #2 for mine. I think some other brands will work, just not RCBS.

The difference is small, but if it won't fit, it won't fit...

DF
Posted By: jwall Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/02/17

The difference is small, but if it won't fit, it won't fit...

DF

Correct. It is not a problem w/o a solution.

Jerry
Posted By: Elvis Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/03/17

Options?

I feel your pain. If you think .257 Roberts brass is hard to find in the US, try finding some in Australia! The only stuff I could find was some Nosler at AU$147 per 50. I guess I'll have to learn to anneal and look after my brass instead of junking it after 4 or 5 reloads. The Nosler brass is very nice though.
Posted By: JTPinTX Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/03/17
Thanks to Butch Lambert and Paul Bernard, I am set for the time being. Once I get both batches here I will wet tumble it to clean it up nice, and then run it through the annealer before sizing and trimming. I'm going to take care of this batch of brass, it may have to last a while!

And, as a bonus, I got to get to know a couple of really nice guys. Even though getting to know Butch did make me order a barrel for a project I have been putting off. grin
Posted By: jwall Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/04/17
JTP -

G F Y = Good For You. I understand that we want to keep the same headstamp on our brass -- BUT sometimes we must resort to other options. Remember you have a few options beside 257 R brass.

Good Luck

Jerry
Posted By: jimone Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/04/17
Mine likes 50 year old 7mm Herters brass necked down, bullets are a slip fit in fired brass. Maybe old Norma?

GFY= Go Fly Yourself.
Posted By: 2525 Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/04/17
Buffalo Arms' site shows the Captech in stock, 0.91 in quantity. Why, they even have some .30 Krag brass on hand.

DF

D F -
Yes & No. I had to get a #2 shell holder for my Swede BUT others reported they use #3.

I'm 'guessing' here, it may be in the brand of brass.

Jim

I have a 6mm R & 6.5X55 and the cases look SO similar. I haven't measured the exact diff
but they ARE very close.

Jerry

that has been my experience.

brass from europe is "correct" and takes the larger shell-holder

brass from the US (including PMC) is just like 308-30-06-45acp brass and takes the 308 shell holder

I assume all dies and chambers are correct and the US brass is "fire-formed" the first time it is fired in the chamber, not the shoulder, but the body forward of the web.

Sycamore
Originally Posted by 2525
Buffalo Arms' site shows the Captech in stock, 0.91 in quantity. Why, they even have some .30 Krag brass on hand.

What do you need in 30-40?
That stuff (.30 Army) is like hen's teeth!
I think I have 3-4 boxes of factory ammo. I sold one of my Krags and donated one to Ed's get together in east Texas a couple years ago. The feller that drew the winning ticket said it shot well.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/10/17
FWIW, I just got notice a few minute ago that Midway has WW +P .257 Roberts brass in stock.

Tom
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/11/17
Not anymore lol damn that was fast
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Not anymore lol damn that was fast

Wow, that was fast.
When I saw this, I suspected that others might have some in stock. Had to look at a couple of places but found out Brownell's had some so I just ordered mine. Sounds like they won't last long when word gets out so hopefully some of you can get some. Here you go to make things easy. 257 Rbts brass
Posted By: Seafire Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 08/11/17
6mm Re,m brass.from Hornady has been available at Sportsman's around here lately...

just neck that up if you need any more.
BrandUsedWorks.com has an auction coming up that has several boxes of older .257 Rem ammo. It looks to me like you might be able to get it at about $10-$15 a box, which would be less than you could buy new brass in some instances. And you could also have fun shooting it before reloading!
Sportsmans warehouse has Winchester in stock on line, I picked up 200 last night .
I was in my Sportsmans Warehouse today and they had one bag (50) of Win 257 Robts brass on the shelf.
It came home with me.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 09/09/17
Cabela's in Buda Tx. had a couple of bags in stock. I was tempted to buy and turn it into 6mm Rem AI cases but Bob fans would consider that sacrilege.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 257 Roberts brass options? - 09/09/17
Black Hills Shooters Supply had it in stock recently. WW - I bought some...
© 24hourcampfire