Home
Posted By: Bob_B257 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/13/17
Walked into breakfast at the local trap range today and sitting on the table was a Rem 722 in 300 Savage with an older scope. The tag had a price that had been cut in half.
WHY? WHY?
Just because I have a stash of 30 cal bullets for the 30-30, 308 and 30-06....
Why did I not just let it go on its way.
If only I had not mis spent my years reading JB and others about the 722 in 257 Roberts and the 300 Round. If only I did not have a hankering for a 99 in said caliber.
Now the 257 will have to wait.
Now the 99 will have to wait.

Pictures will follow this week after the shop does the paper work.

Any one have a set of dies they like that loads straight.....

Off to the inter web to find a nice scope in 4 or 2-7.........
You will enjoy a solid, honest rifle that is also relatively pleasant to shoot.
I wouldn't have been able to pass it up, either.
I've got a nice 99 carbine in 300 Savage that could be yours!
drop me a PM if you are interested.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/13/17

nuthin wrong with the ole 300 Sav..........think Classic.............especially Rem 722
If you're looking for a period scope, well more or less period, there is a Weaver V7 listed in the free classifieds.

If you decide that you don't like the 300 Savage, you can get a performance bump through an easy rechamber job to 30-284.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Walked into breakfast at the local trap range today and sitting on the table was a Rem 722 in 300 Savage with an older scope. The tag had a price that had been cut in half.
WHY? WHY?
If only I had not mis spent my years reading JB and others about the 722 in 257 Roberts and the 300 Round. If only I did not have a hankering for a 99 in said caliber.

Ya done good! I've been preyed upon by 300jimmy here - he set me up with one just like yours, and I just adore it.

... and I also happen to have a Leupold 3X in the safe, in case that would tempt you... grin

FC
How long is that 722 action? I'd have jumped on that gun as well. Nice snag!
Or you can leave it a 300 Savage. A 30 caliber bullet is a 30 caliber bullet.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/13/17
A 2X7 vintage Leupold with the curved logo would work, and we keep hearing about 130 TTX's being great in the Savage case.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
and we keep hearing about 130 TTX's being great in the Savage case.

If I can ever re-figure out the #%@! photo thing, I can show some shots from this am with that bullet that nearly had me shart myself. laugh

2,750 fps with that bullet is great medicine, and that's from a 99. In the 722, I'm getting into the high 2,900's.

OP is gonna friggin' LOVE that rifle.

FC
WHY? WHY?

I don't know if you are near a Caeblas, but the local Cabelas had a lot of 300 Savage reloading stuff in the bargain cave yesterday when I went.

Free shipping on Leupold at Natchez.

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-v...plex-44-6-17-8-fov-4-2-3-7-er-matte.html
Posted By: jorgeI Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/13/17
I like them so much, I have THREE of them..
Posted By: mathman Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/13/17
Vanilla RCBS dies have done very well for me.
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Well said.
I have a little 700 in .300 /sav.. One of my favorites!!!! I wouldn't own a .308, but this rifle is cool!!!
Posted By: jwall Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/14/17
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wouldn't own a .308, but this rifle is cool!!!

Hey DAD !! Is that you ?

Man, we gotta be related !!!! grin

Just a jab a Moosemike. whistle laugh

--------------------------------------

300 Savage, WHY ?...................Why NOT ?

Jerry
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/14/17
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're looking for a period scope, well more or less period, there is a Weaver V7 listed in the free classifieds.

If you decide that you don't like the 300 Savage, you can get a performance bump through an easy rechamber job to 30-284.

And - I have a set of 30 - 284 dies that I'd gladly part with.
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wouldn't own a .308, but this rifle is cool!!!

Hey DAD !! Is that you ?

Man, we gotta be related !!!! grin

Just a jab a Moosemike. whistle laugh

--------------------------------------

300 Savage, WHY ?...................Why NOT ?

Jerry

I hear ya Jerry! I'm enjoying having a .300 Savage and a .308 Winchester. The one picks up where the other leaves off. laugh
Posted By: shaman Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/14/17
I gotta ask: Why not?

Look, what you've got is the makings of a serious venison maker. 300 Savage is in a niche with just the right amount of whallop and the right amount of recoil that makes it ideal for whitetail hunting.
This is my period 722 in 257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The scope is a Lyman Alaskan. I wish the receiver wasn't drilled and tapped on the side, but since this is Mike Walker's favorite deer rifle, it will be the way he wanted it to be.
I'm very fortunate to have it in my hands. No, I haven't shot it yet.
Never followed the 'period correct' scope thing for hunting rifles.

I'm guessing the 'period correct' crowd ain't driving to their hunting spot in a 1950 Buick Roadmaster and hunting in a 3 piece tweed suit
700 Classic with a 4x Leupold in Weaver rings. 150gr Sierras at a little over 2700fps. Get a set of Lee or Hornady dies and go shoot Bambi. Modest recoil, gentle muzzle blast, and fine accuracy. Enjoy your 722.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/14/17
I still think that when Kimber put out a rifle branded "Adirondack" it should have been chambered in 300 savage.

My current 300 SVG is a 700 Classic, but a 1957 99F is in my future.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17

I'm guessing the 'period correct' crowd ain't driving to their hunting spot in a 1950 Buick Roadmaster and hunting in a 3 piece tweed suit

Ha ha, I would if I could afford a '50 Roadmaster! I drove a bunch of classic vehicles to the deer woods in a previous life. An old Willys pickup would be the t*ts.

Actually, a period correct sight upgrade on a rifle built before 1950 would be an aperture rear sight. Not many average Joe's trusted scopes back then, for good reason- they sucked for the most part.

The only "period scope" I use is a Weaver K2.5 from circa 1948. Professionally refurbed- thoroughly cleaned, one lens replaced with a NOS one, and lenses re-coated,etc. It isn't bad, a lot better than it was, but sure isn't great either.
A Lyman Alaskan would be a "period correct" scope too.

Larry Koller put a Lyman Alaskan on at least one of his Savage 1920s via a Weaver N mount. Ugly but effective.
WHY? WHY?

Why is a good question. Several years ago, the local sporting goods store (aka, The Funstore) had one of the old Remington autoloaders (Model 81?) in that chambering. I've had the low simmering wants ever since. Why? Who knows.....

Kaiser Norton
Butch, Remington 's Mike Walker??
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
Someone once told me the 300 Sav was the original short magnum. I have one in a pre64 M70 and with 165 NBT its a great deer rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on an Elk. I have a new Leupold Vari X III 2.5X8 that I have no real use for anymore if your interested. I'll have to give those 130gr TTSX's that were mentioned a try.

Congrats on a nice rifle in a great caliber.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

Why is a good question. Several years ago, the local sporting goods store (aka, The Funstore) had one of the old Remington autoloaders (Model 81?) in that chambering. I've had the low simmering wants ever since. Why? Who knows.....

Kaiser Norton

Oh, I pray you get over that desire! I succumbed to the Remington 81 .300 savage siren song once, and sold it as quickly as I bought it. Gotta be the most sadly balanced rifle, ever. And shooting it (as stated by a wise pundit) is like "shooting a pogo stick". grin I could have learned to tolerate those quirks if it had only shot nicely, which it didn't. frown
Posted By: guntime Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
2 weeks ago I walked into the local Scheels store and they also had a Remy 722 adl in 300 Savage, I also added it to my accumulation. Years ago I shot my first deer with the 300 and have liked the round since, even though I have my dads 722 in my safe I couldn't resist another, like a wise man said, "Just one More"...
WHY? WHY? [ because it's a great round!]

Yes, I have a really nice set of Redding dies:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...86/re-fs-300-sav-brass-dies#Post12134786

I can email you pics of the dies if you PM me direct email address.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
Have entertained the thought of a Rem 760 in .300 sav.
Which reminds me- I bought a 1952 760 in .300 Sav that I still need to shoot! It wasn't d&t for a scope then so wears a receiver sight. Great little round, the 300.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
This is my brothers 722 in 300 Sav. It shoots 1" groups all day long and never had a handload put through it... so he says crazy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Calhoun Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
Have no use for Remington's, but came real close to adding a 722 in 300 to my safe. Only thing that stopped me was I'd spent all my fun money on a couple of 99's earlier in the day.

Good pickup.
When I was in grad school 30 years ago, I made pocket money buying 722s in 222 and 300 SAV for under $200, trimming the barrels to 20", and selling them to guys who wanted bolt action carbines, but couldn't find 600/660s at a reasonable price.

Those rifles are probably still floating around northern New England.
Posted By: z1r Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
I picked up a 722 in .300 Savage a few years back. The price was too good to pass up. I need to get around to shooting it, been too busy with other projects.
The 300 works on all manners of things

[Linked Image]

This one was at 335 yards (this is the only one in this set of pics not taken with a 130gr TTSX)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And more fun with a 300 Savage Shooting .310 diameter balls using brown 22cal Ramset (nail gun).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bob_B257,

One of my local acquaintances has been using a 722 .300 Savage here in southwestern Montana ever since he started hunting. Dunno how many elk he's killed with it (I suspect he doesn't know either) but it's been a bunch. He's not a big talker, and would probably just smile and shake his head if somebody suggested it wasn't enough for elk.
Last year I picked up a Savage 110 WLE model in 300 Sav. It's a shooter and now wears an old but reliable Weaver K4 in Weaver rings and bases. Loaded a pile of 150 gr Hornady's and some 150 gr Core Lokts for it. Can't imagine it not working well. MB
Posted By: Caplock Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17
I bit a couple years ago and bought a 722 in same. Stomps deer!
Posted By: battue Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/15/17

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
Great buck and cool Rifle Battue.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
Steelhead, what make is your synthetic rifle in the photos?
Remington 700, stainless Douglas KS contour (.6 at the muzzle), 21" barrel in an Edge stock.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is my brothers 722 in 300 Sav. It shoots 1" groups all day long and never had a handload put through it... so he says crazy

[Linked Image]

That ole Remington 722 is a dandy...

Doc

"Period Correct" scopes have always worked perfectly for me at the range but I have had failures when hunting.
If you still need dies I've got an RCBS 2 die set, lightly used, $27, shipped.
Posted By: weagle Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
Originally Posted by model70man

"Period Correct" scopes have always worked perfectly for me at the range but I have had failures when hunting.

I don't necessarily have to have a scope from the period as it's hard to find a scope from the 50's and early 60's with good seals, but it does need to have the correct style. 1970's and 80's era Weavers, redfields, and bushnell scopechiefs look good especially if they have a 20mm objective. The Leupold Alaskan series are probably the best looking. Pretty much any leupold with a 40mm or smaller objective looks the part.

IMHO a 722 with a Zeiss Conquest or other modern scope with that profile, just looks all sorts of wrong.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: erich Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
Another 722 300 Sav. owner here. Killed a lot of deer in northern MN and WI with the 180gr RN's from it, I couldn't ask for a better cartridge for still hunting deer up there I had it scoped with a Weaver K-2.5 then a Weaver V-4.5. I quit big game hunting to concentrate on coyotes a number of years ago and rebarreled it to 22-250 BUT the 300 Sav. barrel is nicely stored just incase and a bunch of components are stored also.
Back in the late 1980's when I was on a 284 based wildcat kick, I mostly used 722s in 300 Savage for donor actions, as I could buy that particular rifle/cartridge combination for under $200 almost anytime I wanted another action. I also used that combo for a 30-284 and a 722 in 257 for a 25-284 with the barrel set back a turn.

When I hunted deer with a 760 in 300 Savage I loaded the Remington 170 grain RNCL 30-30 component bullet 'cause I thought that the softer bullet would expand very quickly and penetrate sufficiently for whitetails out to 200+/- yards.

The last 300 Savage that I put together was one-half of a matched pair of Remington Seven parts guns, one in 250-3000 and one in 300 Savage, both using 700 Classic take-off barrels trimmed back to 21" to get a neutral balance with a Leupold 2-7x33 installed.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
Keeping my fingers crossed for a black bear permit. (My points are adding up and this year may be my turn.) Should that happen, my Savage 99T .300 will get the nod (even though it "only" wears a Lyman 57 receiver sight). And yes, Steelhead, I sprung for a box of 130 TSX's to manhandle a bruin with.
Good luck w/ the bear!!!
Posted By: trplem Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/16/17
There's one in my gun safe that's taken along when I'm hunting with a 99 in case the weather gets really bad. It's funny how many bad days we've had during deer season in WI since I bought that 722...
Back in the late 1980's when I was on a 284 based wildcat kick, I mostly used 722s in 300 Savage for donor actions, as I could buy that particular rifle/cartridge combination for under $200 almost anytime I wanted another action. I also used that combo for a 30-284 and a 722 in 257 for a 25-284 with the barrel set back a turn.

When I hunted deer with a 760 in 300 Savage I loaded the Remington 170 grain RNCL 30-30 component bullet 'cause I thought that the softer bullet would expand very quickly and penetrate sufficiently for whitetails out to 200+/- yards.

The last 300 Savage that I put together was one-half of a matched pair of Remington Seven parts guns, one in 250-3000 and one in 300 Savage, both using 700 Classic take-off barrels trimmed back to 21" to get a neutral balance with a Leupold 2-7x33 installed.

Sinner!
Posted By: jwall Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/17/17

That's thinking out of the box.

Jerry
That's not thinking period. The world needs more .300 Savages, not less.
I
Originally Posted by moosemike
That's not thinking period. The world needs more .300 Savages, not less.

I'm not a big 300 Savage fan, only have a couple dozen of them.
Posted By: jwall Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/17/17
The world needs more .300 Savages, not less.

There would be more available if so many weren't hoarding them. They're out there......find one.

Also, SINCE you can load a 308 down to 300 S levels.....why do we need more 300 S ?

Jerry
Posted By: mathman Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/17/17
We can load down a 30-378 so why have the others?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/17/17
I've hunted squirrels with extremely downloaded .30's of all ilk. Having a smorgasboard of options is what it's all about!

I think the big draw for the .300 Savage is the rifles it came in- Savage lever guns, Remington 722's, etc.- not that the cartridge possesses any magical qualities. The same as the big draw for .30-30's is the rifles it's associated with. (If the 94 Winchester was never chambered in .30-30, no .30-30 ever invented rather .32 Special only, there would be a helluva lot of .32 bullets being sold.)
Originally Posted by jwall
The world needs more .300 Savages, not less.

There would be more available if so many weren't hoarding them. They're out there......find one.

Also, SINCE you can load a 308 down to 300 S levels.....why do we need more 300 S ?

Jerry

I didn't say I was in need of one.
Posted By: Pugs Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/17/17
And more fun with a 300 Savage Shooting .310 diameter balls using brown 22cal Ramset (nail gun).

Thanks for the reminder - I need to get one for my 99.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/18/17
I am going to have to try the 130gr TTSX for the 300 Savage seeing as it has such a following here and perhaps something in the 80-90gr range for it's little brother a 250/3000.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/20/17
Got a note from a member and now have a set of Redding dies on the way.
Saturday morning headed for my Fav LGS who has a great load of cool stuff outside the average Glocks and plastic stuff on most shelves these days.
There were 2 boxes of old stock Federal 180 grain in 300 Savage.
Looking for a scope to go on it (Not into a 70's Burris w a big switch on it for a lighted reticle......). Owner pointed to the back case and said you might find one in there.
Digging through the pile there was a dusty blued Weaver with a rounded Bell for the ocular. Looked at the lenses and saw dust and a duplex reticle. The Side said, Weaver, K2.5-F USA
Asked for the best price for the ammo and scope. The Weaver Lows on the scope may not clear the bolt but will fit another project.
Cleaned the lenses this AM. What a view. There are finger adjustable micro dials under the caps.
The inside has no fungus and is clear.
I can live with the small dent in the tube for a, "lived a long life" look.
Shot five rounds with the scope thats on the rifle now and banged a 6 inch gong at 100 yds.
Will be figuring out the new site photo host tonight and post some pictures.
Posted By: Ready Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/20/17
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
[...) Ya done good! I've been preyed upon by 300jimmy here - he set me up with one just like yours, and I just adore it.

... and I also happen to have a Leupold 3X in the safe, in case that would tempt you... grin

FC

Half a moment, pray allow...

That would not happen to be the most clean one left in the northern? The one you ended up with from me I forget what deal?
Originally Posted by Ready
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
[...) Ya done good! I've been preyed upon by 300jimmy here - he set me up with one just like yours, and I just adore it.

FC

Half a moment, pray allow...

That would not happen to be the most clean one left in the northern? The one you ended up with from me I forget what deal?

How do you even HAVE half a moment these days? I figure you gotta be sleep deprived!

I'm sure the 3X has gone back and forth across the pond a time or two in settlement of our adventures. grin

However, some shirttail accounting shows that my last 4 rifle purchases have been iron-sighted devils. As I descend further into the dungeons of the Luddites, I suppose 'twould only be fitting that this scope be placed in a home where it could do good and useful work on a mature rifle.

Then again, I was sorely tempted to keep and use that 3X 'cause I nearly went in for one of those Lipsey's Rugers in .275 Cathy Rigby: talk about period correct... laugh

FC
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/21/17
link to the new campfire photo host with an image post with the pictures of the action and the scope.

Any one have tips on getting these into the post

300 Savage with Weaver Scope
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/21/17
Action is bedded/ free floated in a stock of unknown origin. Any ideas on the origin of the stock?
Rear sight dovetail is filled with a Lyman delete. Barrel is cut to 24 inches and recrowned.
Bolt is checkered on the flat made in the under side.
Bottom metal is from a donor?
Pachmeyr Pad installed on the stock.
RedField scope mount.
Burris is headed down the road.
Weaver is in line for testing when the dies get here.
How come 300 savages are so easy to reload.....and 308 Winchester s kick my ass all over the place?
Originally Posted by Angus1895
How come 300 savages are so easy to reload.....and 308 Winchester s kick my ass all over the place?

What kind of beer you drinking?
Posted By: jt402 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/21/17
My first deer fell to a company .30-30. Then I transferred and my car gun was a .351 SL, so I borrowed the rancher's .300 99 Savage topped with a 2 1/2 X Weaver with a Lee dot.. I killed several deer with that rig before I finally got my own rifle. They work!

Jack
Currently Dead Guy Ale, and Henerys Ws Boars Head Ale

Fixing to set sail with Jerry though.
Cranberry, Perriono lemonade, ice, Sailor Jerry.
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/23/17
This took a bit to figure out but I believe the photos are now able to link

The action is a 722. Its got the barrel with the lug and the Lyman rear sight delete in the dove tail.

[Linked Image]

The Bolt handle was milled flat on the bottom and checkered.

[Linked Image]

the Barrel is cut to 24 inches and recrowned.

[Linked Image]

Bottom metal appears to be from something else.

[Linked Image]

Would love to know what you think this stock came off of?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 08/23/17
The Weaver Scope I found to try out on this

[Linked Image]
Good looking Sav. 300 rig!

Here is a 250 & 300 Sav. in the Savage Model 14 American Classic:

[Linked Image]
Stock is from a Remington 700 BDL
Gorgeous 722, and mighty nice looking Savages, too. And a matched set, as well.
Wow nice wood for a 722... 99% of my deer could have been kiled with a 300 savage..
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 09/03/17
Removed the Bushnell this weekend after a long day of fishing and set up the Weaver in the Redfield mounts that came with the 722.
Better but not quite right.
I think a set of Weaver bases to match the lower mounts that came with the scope might look and fit a bit better.
Just too tall as it sits right now.
But am going to test it out this week to see how the scope is holding up after all these years.

Does any one know if the earlier Weaver bases were blued or some kind of paint or plating like the new ones?

[Linked Image]
Much better...
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: 300 Savage, Why, Why Why? - 09/11/17
Enjoying the range time with this Rifle. Found and shot up two 20 round boxes of Old Stock Federal 180 grain bullets. Very short supply in this area. Brass neck sized after with Redding Dies after a friendly note from a Campfire member. Loaded up 9 with Varget 40 grains and 150 grain Nosler Balistic tips. 9 with 40 grains and Speer Hot Core 150 grain flat base spire points.
Shot the ballistic tips for group. Best was 1 3\4. Some wind but steady. All were seated to 2.6 inches SAMI max. But the magazine will allow longer.
This was not as good as the factory 180 gr Federal which shot to as well as 1 1\4 inches with other three shot groups in the 1 1\2 range. All good enough for hunting.
Learned a few things about the new used Weaver and its adjustments. It likes to creep up on the Zero by tuning the dials in to get to the sweet spot.
Played the last paper test down with the Hot Core load of 150 with 40 grain Varget and got to 1 inch. Used the other six to ring 6 inch steel gongs.
Need to work on the Speer load a bit. Also need to locate some H4895 to try in this set up.
Enjoying the project and the 2.5X scope power. Plenty with a 4 inch square of Blue tape at 100 yds.
Fun cartridge and rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

The Remington 722 action is short, originally being chambered for .222 Rem., .222 Rem Mag, .257 Roberts, .300 Savage, and .308. The 721 has the longer action to accommodate 30-06, .270, etc.

I think you are going to love that rifle. And remember, as you sit there asking why, the rest of us are out here asking WHY NOT!
Originally Posted by bearbacker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

The Remington 722 action is short, originally being chambered for .222 Rem., .222 Rem Mag, .257 Roberts, .300 Savage, and .308. The 721 has the longer action to accommodate 30-06, .270, etc.

I think you are going to love that rifle. And remember, as you sit there asking why, the rest of us are out here asking WHY NOT!

Don't forget the 243 and 244 in the 722 or the 300 H&H in the 721.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I've hunted squirrels with extremely downloaded .30's of all ilk. Having a smorgasboard of options is what it's all about!

I think the big draw for the .300 Savage is the rifles it came in- Savage lever guns, Remington 722's, etc.- not that the cartridge possesses any magical qualities. The same as the big draw for .30-30's is the rifles it's associated with. (If the 94 Winchester was never chambered in .30-30, no .30-30 ever invented rather .32 Special only, there would be a helluva lot of .32 bullets being sold.)

You forgot the excellent Remington 760....
The old Weaver K2.5 with a post & crosshair reticle is the scope that was on the rifle that I killed my first and biggest whitetail with. Nowadays at age 68 I need a scope with more power, just bought a Weaver V7 with a dot reticle to put on my .35 Whelen M/70 that will get the call for this year's deer season.
© 24hourcampfire