Home
Posted By: oldsteve 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/05/17
What do you all think of loading the 235 grain Barnes tsx in my .375 H&H for moose in Newfoundland next year?
I've never used Barnes before but hear good things about them. I do use reduced loads w/ 200 gr Sierra fp and 4759, great wt deer load in my rifle.at a whisker over 2200fps.

Thanks Steve
Posted By: memtb Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/05/17
reo, Personally, I'd go with the 250 TTSX. You will still have good velocities, a better BC and sectional density. Overall, should be a better choice for big game!

I'm running 250's in mine...but only because Barnes won't make a TTSX heavier than 250 in the .375
Posted By: ingwe Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/05/17
Negatory! That bullet is designed for lighter game.
The 250TTSX would be a sure winner and a basic 270 grain Hornady will do everything you want on moose.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/05/17
Personally, I think you should take a .270 Winchester. (Just kidding. You should take whatever rifle you like--but the quickest kill I've ever seen on a bull moose was with a .270 using those old-fashioned 150-grain Nosler Partitions. Have also seen them taken with the .338 Winchester, 9.3x62 and .375 H&H. And it was not a spine shot, but a plain old heart-lung shot. Moose aren't hard to kill, but as many people have noted, it sometimes takes them a while to realize they've been killed.)
Posted By: BCSteve Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/06/17
I like the 250 gr TTSX as well. Shot my last two bull moose with that bullet in my .375 Ruger Alaskan.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/06/17
"Personally, I think you should take a .270 Winchester. (Just kidding. You should take whatever rifle you like--but the quickest kill I've ever seen on a bull moose was with a .270 using those old-fashioned 150-grain Nosler Partitions"

When I was up there a couple years ago, the locals said they just used .270's, .308's & 06's with plain-Jane 150's. Only the younger "kids" used hot numbers like a 7 mag.

I felt over-gunned with my .338-06. Especially since all I got was lobsters to bring home. wink
Posted By: VernAK Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/06/17
Overkill and probably a heavier rifle than I'd care to pack around.

Moose are not difficult to kill if you can place a lung shot.

A big AK-YT bull has lungs near the size of a wash tub and your Newfie moose should be nearly as large.

One shot I hesitate to mention......should you really screw-up and have a wounded moose running away,
a pelvis shot can be very effective.....bad for meat but better than losing the animal. A broken pelvis will drop the bull
and there are several large arteries in that region also.

Calling bull moose in for a close shot is one of the more exciting hunts I can think of.

Good luck on you rhunt!
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/07/17
I shot a fat mule deer doe near dusk with the older 235X/375 around 120yrds one year. It must have hit a small branch before hitting her. I heard it "thoomp" when it hit. She ran off. I lost the blood trail at dark. Next AM I picked it back up and jumped her up after a 200yd railing job. I popped her with the '06 I brought. I had shot her on the right front shoulder which was torn away and hanging down, and a saucer sized hole was through the ribs with part of her lungs exposed, looked like leather! No exit, and I couldn't find the bullet either?! No idea what happened. Never saw anything like that, before or since. I never used it again, instead just went to the Winchester 270 FailSafe factory load. Later on some friends and I got to hunt in South Africa with that same load in two 375s. We shot a ton of plains game with them from Blesbuck up through Wildebeast and zebra , waterbuck. I admittedly like the 270 Failsafe (same same) in a 375 H&H and the 270TSX in a 375 Weatherby ( a friend I traded that rifle to has his clients use it on eland on an exotic game ranch in East Texas...."chills their doo-doo pronto" he says! Have a ball, whatever you choose!
My own choice is the 260 grain Accubond for everything - I bought enough to last my lifetime of hunting use - I do load some 235 grain blems for folks at the range who want to shoot a medium bore.

I do use Barnes in cartridges up to .308 when I might ask the rig to punch above its weight so to speak. Punching above its weight is not an issue with the .375 bore on thin skinned game.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/08/17
Or even on thicker-skinned game. I have two friends who've killed Cape buffalo using .375 H&H's loaded with 260-grain .375 AccuBonds. One of the buffalo was a cow, but the other was a charging bull--which was not wounded beforehand. Neither had any problem, even with frontal shots on the bull.
I have been shooting the 260 Accubonds in my .375.. They have done a super job on moose and elk..
Posted By: GuyM Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/08/17
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or even on thicker-skinned game. I have two friends who've killed Cape buffalo using .375 H&H's loaded with 260-grain .375 AccuBonds. One of the buffalo was a cow, but the other was a charging bull--which was not wounded beforehand. Neither had any problem, even with frontal shots on the bull.

John - do you know where those bullets hit on the two buffalo?

I'm a big fan of the 260 Accubond after using it on several black bear - way too much rifle, but it worked! smile

Guy
Originally Posted by BCSteve
I like the 250 gr TTSX as well. Shot my last two bull moose with that bullet in my .375 Ruger Alaskan.

What is your load? I tried this same bullet in the same rifle with RL-17, and I was uninspired by the accuracy.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/29/17
[Linked Image]

This guy, stopped...

[Linked Image]

...this 235 TSX at around 150 yards when fired at around 2600 fps. (The bullet penetrated to the hide, then bounced back a hand's width back inside the bullet path. This was into the shoulder muscles; a second bullet landed further back and didn't exit either.)

[Linked Image]

This 300 Partition was fired into the shoulders of a wounded moose from less than 50 yards (from an H&H rifle).

I've seen Hornady .375 270 and 300 SPs stopped in much smaller animals. Cup and cores work great when you get lung shots; not so much when a big bone gets in the way; (too much ruined meat sometimes.)

As was pointed out, moose are not hard to kill. They can challenge good bullets however. Agree on the pelvis as a show stopper if need be. Stately monolithics have worked perfectly in messing things up without ruining meat. (May not work so kindly when lobbing copper/bronze from a 7mm mag or 300 mag however.)
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: 235 gr tsx and .375 H&H - 09/29/17
I am a huge fan of the 270gr TSX in the H&H and the AI versions and have shot a couple boxes of them into game... nothing has stopped one yet.

The last few moose I have shot have been with the 168gr TTSX in the 30-06 and it is more than adequate...
© 24hourcampfire