Home
Custom 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle - The long wait is over - long story

Hello All,

I've always wanted a BIG BORE "Sidelock" Double Rifle. So, I contacted Aaron Little, a Custom Gun Builder from Texas who is known for building Custom Double Rifles from Shotguns. I inquired about building me a Custom Double Rifle in 600NE from my 10ga Bernardelli Venus Royal Best Gun Shotgun. The Bernardelli was from 1972, during a time when Bernardelli was building some of their Finest High-Grade shotguns for the U.S. market. Here's the original listing from when I bought the Bernardelli, and some "before" photos.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Aaron carefully examined the Bernardelli and gave his blessing for the build, deeming the Bernardelli would be suitable for the project. I discussed my desires for the build;

- 26" barrels
- 14 pounds 12 ounce weight
- 14-3/8" LOP
- Red Silvers style recoil pad
- "Flip-Over" Moon Bead Front Sight

Aaron indicated that all this was doable. I gave the go-ahead, and then ..... the waiting started for Aaron to perform his majic.

I was a pest for progress pictures, and over the following many months, Aaron sent a few. Most of the major build steps for this project are shown below.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After receiving the photos of the work in progress, I knew it was going to be a long wait for the rifle to be finished. I knew that craftsmanship took time. I tried not to pester Aaron too much while he patiently worked.

I took this time to prepare the 600NE ammo that Aaron would require for regulating the rifle. I have found from experience, that many Big Bore Double rifles will shoot to the same point of aim with a 75% load, so this is what I prepared. The load was a Barnes 900g FMJ, at 1450 fps, with 75 grains of IMR 4198 powder, with a 1" long piece of 5/8" dia. backing rod foam. I had developed this load for my 600NE VC, and it shot to the same point of aim as the full-house load of 1950 fps. When finished, I sent Aaron 30 rounds.

In the mean time, I also acquired a custom hard case, and waited for it to be filled.

[Linked Image]

It wasn't too long after that Aaron sent me a photo of the "final regulation" target. It only took him 24 of the 30 rounds to regulate the rifle. And the results were .. - - - TOTALLY ACCEPTABLE ! !

Any further improvement (as if one was needed) would come from "tweaking" the load.

[Linked Image]

And, once again, I waited for the project to be finished. ....

...... And then, finally, one day last week, there came a wooden crate to my door.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The waiting was over, and the empty case was finally filled.

[Linked Image]

Here are some detail photos of the finished rifle. A Bernardelli Sidelock Double Rifle in 600 Nitro Express caliber.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

With the project complete, I evaluated how it turned out. Well, in the end, we missed on 2 of the desired features; - No Red Recoil Pad, because apparently no one makes a "Red" Recoil Pad wide enough for the existing stock which was a full 2" wide. Not wanting to alter the existing stock, we had to go with a "Brown" Recoil Pad which was available in the 2" width. - And, after final polishing and clean-up the finished weight was 3 ounces light at 14 pounds 9 ounces. However, this was no big deal as the 3 ounces were more than made up by loading the rifle, which brought the weight to exactly 15 pounds. "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

And how did it balance? Also "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

[Linked Image]

So the final test would be - how does it shoot? Well, you be the judge. Here is my first target..... "PERFECT" - "PERFECT" - "PERFECT"

[Linked Image]
Am I happy? YOU BET ! - I've got a High-Quality 600NE "Sidelock" Double Rifle - for only a small fraction of the cost of one from a contemporary maker.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Way cool! That's superb work.

Having fired a .600 Nitro of "proper weight" a few years ago, I can testify that a well-fitting double doesn't recoil nearly as much as many shooters assume. (Neither does a nice SxS 10-gauge.) What are your field plans for the .600?
Impressive, to say the least! Not my cup of tea, but beautiful--and presumably eminently functional--for its intended purpose(s).
Very nice! One of these days I'll need to scratch the double itch.

I would say I'm jealous, but after shooting my 500 Jeffrey I've realized I no longer have a desire for a rifle larger than 50 caliber. Though I'd never pass up an opportunity to shoot one wink
Absolutely fantastic! What a beautiful rifle.
GORGEOUS !

I probably need one. The Rhinos & Buff are getting thick in Arkansas. whistle

I can't help looking and admiring ! BIG SMILE.

Jerry
Awesome rifle, well done all around!

Jeff
Thanks for posting this. I've always wanted a nice Side X Side double rifle, but there has always been other more pressing needs for my $. I have an O/U in 9.3X74 and always figured that it would have to do me as far as a double rifle goes, but your thread has me thinking. I have an old Westley Richards Box Lock 12 ga that is tight as new, but shows some earned character. I think that it would make into a plain but good looking double rifle. Maybe one day I can give it similar treatment in a smaller caliber like a 450 3".
Gorgeous rifles!
Thank you for sharing the build. Congratulations to you and to Aron. Kudos.
GORGEOUS !
Magnificent rifle. Congratulations!

But the burning question is, are you going to bring it to Africa on an elephant/buff hunt or will it remain a beautiful show piece?
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Magnificent rifle. Congratulations!
But the burning question is, are you going to bring it to Africa on an elephant/buff hunt or will it remain a beautiful show piece?

Hello Winchestrmodel70,

Thanks for the reply,

None of my guns remain as "show pieces" - they are all fired regularly, and hunted on occasion. As for Africa ? Well, not likely. But I'll be thinking elephants and buff during the moments of recoil.
Impressive work and awesome looking 600 nitro.
To you both,
thank you for the photos of the project as it went along. Very interesting to see the work take shape from the original build to the final Rifle.
Those are some very fine target photos and I bet both the owner and the builder are quite happy with the end results.
Great Job.
Enjoy the thunder.
Hello mtnsnake and Bob B257,

Thanks for the reply.

I think will be one of my most favorite doubles. So far I fired about 80 rounds, and I'm still having fun.
© 24hourcampfire