Home
Posted By: keith Comprehensive corrosion test - 11/17/17

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
Posted By: pal Re: Comprehensive corrosion test - 11/17/17
Interesting.
Thank you for your time and effort! I was surprised at the results! Good work.
Gee, it seems like I've seen that before. wink
Posted By: keith Re: Comprehensive corrosion test - 11/17/17
It has been around, nighthawk.

The results stand repeating, many have not seen it.
WOW, that is a super test. Thank you very much.
If only something remotely resembling a scientific method had been used it might even be worthwhile...
Posted By: pal Re: Comprehensive corrosion test - 11/17/17
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If only something remotely resembling a scientific method had been used it might even be worthwhile...

Oh come on! It is a useful shootout.
No, not really. Ferinstance RIG always gets high marks for rust protection. It's an old industrial rust preventive. Not so good in this test which leads to unanswered questions like how it was applied. So I'd say interesting as a starting point but not definitive.
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Oh come on! It is a useful shootout.

From memory:

Nothing was done to prep all test pieces to assure they all started from the same place...

A bare metals test is no indication of how the same metal blued would fare...

Setting them on the wet background could lead to random electrolysis...

I could go on. You know he posted it here first, right?
I remember Phill S recommending Crossion X for blued gun rust protection. I also remember seeing this test quite a bit later and being glad it reinforced the thought. When my bottle gets used up One Shot is going to get a test run. Going to be a while at this rate.
FWIW, I have been using One-Shot for about as long as it has been on the market, and have never had any problems with either wear or corrosion. The former is impressive because I live in a very dusty environment; the latter less so because it is also a very dry environment. However, it has worked very well protecting firearms belonging to my daughter and grandchildren (who live on the coastal plain of south Texas in a very warm, very humid environment).
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
I remember Phill S recommending Crossion X for blued gun rust protection.

Seems like this is a second series to cover some newer products. In a previous test Corrosion X and Essox came in on top. Both have worked well for me but when I run out it will be Frog Lube or one shot. I wonder which of these are best in leaving in the bore and if they can be left in the bore without throwing off the first shot?
Just remember that many of the rust preventatives have temperature limits that can cause slow, or non-existent, firing pin fall.
© 24hourcampfire