Home
Posted By: RoninPhx Big book of gun gack - 11/21/17
i finally broke down and ordered it, came in last night.
went through it and will start reading today.
first impression is that it's a delightful book.
some of the personal memories written down are similar to mine from a long time ago.
well worth buying.
I ordered it when I began doing my own reloading. I think I refer to it more often than my reloading manuals. Excellent stuff in there.

FC
Posted By: Bugger Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/21/17
Best buy I’ve made in a long time.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/22/17
Originally Posted by Bugger
Best buy I’ve made in a long time.

+1
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/22/17
It's an excellent resource, and I have to order a new copy. My old copy seems to have grown legs and walked out of the house...
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/22/17
Unfortunately, despite careful rationing, I'm almost through mine already. Not to worry; I'll just re-read the parts of special interest.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/23/17
Am very appreciative of all the nice comments, and thanks to all who're purchased a copy (or two). We just ordered a 4th printing this fall, and are planning to bring out GUN GACK II next year.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/23/17
i just got mine in a couple of days ago, and have read most of it already. I am attracted to the historical background of a lot of these calibers.
my first rifle i went hunting with in the late 50's was a arisaka. still have some of the ammo from that period, made out of 30.06 military brass.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/24/17
RoninPhx,

By coincidence, the 7.7 Arisaka is one of the rounds I plan to cover in GUN GACK II.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/24/17
I haven't bought a shooting sports book in years and was very glad I broke the dry spell with BBoGG. I think there are a few chapters I haven't read, but every chapter has been delightful. Hopefully I can resist the urge of looneyness to buy another rifle of two after being inspired by the articles.
Posted By: 1234 Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/24/17
i dragged my feet on buying the book for some reason will be in line to buy the number II edition.

Ed
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/24/17
The only minor addition I'd like to see in the book is dimensioned case drawings.
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/25/17
Ready for Gack II!
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/25/17
Check out John's other books on shooting and reloading. There are plenty more. I have them all.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/25/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The only minor addition I'd like to see in the book is dimensioned case drawings.

Those are available free from SAAMI. Why burden our pal John with that task and added weight, bulk, and shipping cost? If he's gonna add stuff, more of his golden prose would be a better idea.

And he might want to consider letting Ms. Clarke sign 'em for him.

Other good stuff is available there as well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/25/17
For more obscure cartridges you can even Google, say, "6mm Lee Navy" and something will pop up.

Pappy, thanks for the nice words about my prose!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/26/17
I went through about all of Gun Gack in about a month - can't wait for part deux!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/26/17
Eileen wanted me to mention that the later printings have larger margins near the spine of the book, for those want to get them spiral-bound.

The organization of GG2 has already started. I'll start putting the chapters together this winter.
Thanks for the wider margin.

I had my copy spiral bound and it works well.

Looking forward to GG-II.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/27/17
Good to hear the extra margin helps.

If anybody has suggestions for GG2 I'd be happy to hear them.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/27/17

More about mainstream varmint calibers, ie 218 Bee, 222 mag, 219 Donaldson Wasp etc. More pictures and less words, larger print, color pictures and maybe a couple of flannel pages with animals that can be put on different scenery to make our own pictures. A few coupons for discounts on reloading components wouldn't be a bad idea either...
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/27/17
So is GG2 going to be the same format more or less and completely different chamberings? I like the format of GG, it really took me back a decade or two when I really enjoyed reading Handloader and various of the older encyclicals.

I'm hard pressed to think of chamberings of interest you didn't cover.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
It will be the same format, mostly with different cartridges, but also a few of the same cartridges with new powders and bullets.

I tried to include most popular rounds in BBGG, because those are what most people want to read about. But included some obscure ones to illustrate some basic principles of handloading, especially when published data is scant, dated or even non-existent.

There'll also be a number of new chapters on various aspects of handloading.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
The BBGG is a great resource that I use regularly. Looking forward to the next iteration!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
Shrap,

Will start working on the flannel pages, but in the meantime here are some chapters on the cartridges you suggested:

"The Ageless .218 Bee": Subtract 1 grain from .22 Hornet data.

"The Astonishing .222 Remington Magnum: Why the Best .22 Centerfire Ever Didn't Make The Cut": Use .223 Remington data.

"How To Make The .219 Wasp Sting With Modern Bullets and Powders": Use .223 Remington data and plastic-tipped bullets.

The larger print is easy. It will result in a bigger book with half the information, so we can call it THE BIGGER BOOK OF GUN GACK.

Sorry, no color pictures, as they cost too damn much to print, and don't attract enough "readers" like you. But will look into discount coupons. Walmart might provide some.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Shrap,

Will start working on the flannel pages, but in the meantime here are some chapters on the cartridges you suggested:

"The Astonishing .222 Remington Magnum: Why the Best .22 Centerfire Ever Didn't Make The Cut": Use .223 Remington data.

"How To Make The .219 Wasp Sting With Modern Bullets and Powders": Use .223 Remington data and plastic-tipped bullets.

The larger print is easy. It will result in a bigger book with half the information, so we can call it THE BIGGER BOOK OF GUN GACK.

Sorry, no color pictures, as they cost too damn much to print, and don't attract enough "readers" like you. But will look into discount coupons. Walmart might provide some.

And still some people say you don't care...
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17

Rabbit hunting with the .460 Wby. whistle
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
John, a suggestion from the back of the classroom; how about a chapter on all of the things that "everybody knows", such as which powders are twins under different names, which primers produce higher pressures, which brands of bullets produce higher pressures with equal charges (had to stick that one in there) and things of that ilk. It would be nice to have such information collected under one roof. Best, John
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
For more obscure cartridges you can even Google, say, "6mm Lee Navy" and something will pop up.

Pappy, thanks for the nice words about my prose!

Since I've got you in a good mood, consider including something about the 6.5 Grendel in the update. Nothing's died from mine yet, but it's a nifty and pleasant little round, and it would give you a good excuse for buying another CZ.
John,

Since you asked, the only two rifle cartridges that I load for that weren't covered in Gack #1 are the 300 Sav and the 30-40 Krag.

I enjoy shooting many of the older cartridges. Thanks for helping keep them alive.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/28/17
Shrap,

Just include a box of crayons with Shrapnels book, instant happy customer.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Big book of gun gack - 11/29/17

6.5 Rem Mag, perhaps?
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/06/17
Shrap,

How about with non-plastic tipped bullets? (I actually am about to get started on one of these Wasps)
Also the 35 SLR (NOT the 351 - which are SO common! smile )
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/06/17

How about 7-30 Waters in a single shot with pointy bullets?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/06/17
Leon,

Sorry, but probably not!

Some of the chapters in GACK are about pretty obscure subjects, such as the 6mm Lee-Navy. But they include historical rifle info, plus often some special handloading techniques that can be applied to other rounds. I don't see how handloading for a single-shot 7x30 Waters (a cartridge ranking somewhere down with the .256 Winchester Magnum in popularity) would provide any info interesting to most readers.
where to order?
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/06/17
Leon,

Sorry, but probably not!

Some of the chapters in GACK are about pretty obscure subjects, such as the 6mm Lee-Navy. But they include historical rifle info, plus often some special handloading techniques that can be applied to other rounds. I don't see how handloading for a single-shot 7x30 Waters (a cartridge ranking somewhere down with the .256 Winchester Magnum in popularity) would provide any info interesting to most readers.

John,
I wrote that a bit tongue in cheek. I have two good loads for the 7-30, so I am good to go. The only caliber currently giving me an itch would also not make the cut. A gunsmith I know just bought a new reamer for .256 Newton. If I can find a left hand donor action, I just might jump on it, but that is even rarer than a single shot 7-30.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/07/17
whipholt wahoo,

You can order GACK (and some of my other books) from the website www.riflesandrecipes.com.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/07/17
Leon,

I wondered how serious you were!

I actually know at least three people with .256 Newtons, two of the rifles original Newtons. Dunno any with a single-shot 7x30 rifle, though one of my friends likes to hunt with his 7x30 Contender handgun.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/07/17
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Shrap,

Just include a box of crayons with Shrapnels book, instant happy customer.

And maybe some Bondo for the elk-damaged truck bumpers. grin
Posted By: RLTW Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/07/17
John,

As a reasonably well educated guy, at least somewhat above the CroMagnum level ( not a Navy Grad..) your prose continues to impress. Ergo I will not endeavor to advise what should be in Opus #2, but know without a doubt you will hit a home run in whatever you select.

Looking forward to your next effort.

HH-6 says hi to your better half.

If you are not out this Sat take a few hours to watch America’s Game; Army beating the Hell out of Navy!

RLTW
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/07/17
I ordered my copy yesterday as well as the Advanced Reloading DVD. Someone recommended them to me on the 24HCF Reloading Forum
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Big book of gun gack - 12/08/17
RLTW,

Thanks. As I've mentioned before, that means a lot coming from you.

Eileen sends her best to HH-6 as well!

Have been hunting and traveling a lot lately, and luckily have some time off now. Saturday looks to be a lie-around-and-watch-football day....
© 24hourcampfire